Melbourne Tourist shuttle

jeno

I have been reading about the toursit shuttle and just walking around Melbourne. That sounds like a good plan for us. Does anyone know how to get to the shuttle from the Pier? Is it within walking distance? If so, what is the best point to board? Thanks for your help! Jeanne

I heard about this also. Heard that it is really easy to use so it can't be far. I was told just ask anyone and they will direct you to it. I think this is definitely what we will do. I was told the Melbourne Market is one of the best places to get souvenirs. You can get on and off and there is plenty to see.

The light rail which takes you into the city from the pier is only 100 yards away from where you exit the dock. It does cost to go on the rail, tickets can bought at the shop which is close to where you get on the tram. I do know that a lot of people think it is free but if an Inspector got on board, you would be fined.

It only takes 10-15 minutes to get to the city. Once there, you can catch a free tram which takes you right around the circumference of the city and you can get on and off at will. The streets that you can pick it up are Flinders, Spencer, Spring and Latrobe.

The Victorian Market is very popular with tourists.

Jennie

we did the tram and really loved it. there is a commentary as well. The kids got a thrill just because it was a tram..no trams in sydney.

It is easy to find and the locals are always willing to help

I just checked the information I had and wouldn't you know we will be there on a Wednesday. My info says the Market is closed on Mon and Wed, Good Friday, Anzac Day, Melbourne Cup Day, Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Years Day.

Would the tram still be a good way to get around and see things even without the Market being open. I'm having a hard time with the links on the internet to do much research.

Hi Jennie,

We have a mutual friend, Sandydownunder. Sandra and Peter came to Ft Myers Beach, Florida to stay with us after you landed in Tampa on your Amazon Cruise. I knew she had a friend Jennie in Melbourne and I asked her if her friend was Aussie Girl.

It seems as if we have three different types of transportation available: Light rail (pay), Tourist Bus (free) and Tourist tram (free). You suggested we take the light rail into the city and then take the tram. It seems as if the tram serves the city center, is that correct? Do you feel that most things we should see will be available from the tram and we will not take need to take the bus? I will check your list from other posts about what we should try to see. Everything seems easy to naviate. We are looking forward to your beautiful city.

We are limited on time. We are in Port from 7 AM to 5 PM.

Thanks for your help! Jeanne

Jeanne,

What a small world. I am just about to send an email to Sandy as we have just returned from 3 weeks in Tahiti and Hawaii.

You are correct, there is a free tram and a free bus but first of all you do have to get into the city and that is by the light rail which runs directly from the dock into the city centre.

Once you are on the free tram and free bus, you can see most of Melbourne, though if you like beautiful gardens, then you will need to pick up a number 8 tram (Toorak) in Swanston street and catch it down St. Kilda Road to get to both the Shrine (our Memorial to our Soldiers and well worth seeing) and our Botanical Gardens. The same ticket that you will have bought on the light rail will be good for the trip on the number 8 tram. I would buy an all day ticket and then you can hop on and hop off any of the trams in the city centre.

Another good tram to catch is St. Kilda Beach which also runs along Swanston street. I think it is number 1. That will take you down to St. Kilda which is a great area to explore. There are lots of shops, eating places and it is on our bay and has one of our city beaches.

The free tram lets you off at our Treasury Buildings which are most interesting showing how Melbourne was built on gold. It is worth a look over. It also will take you to our Immigration Museum which is also good to see though nothing like Ellis Island in New York.

I mentioned our Museum and Exhibition Buildings, also there is our original gaol and our wonderful Public Library which is free and has a beautiful dome inside the Reading room.

We also have a great Arts Complex and of course there is the Southgate precinct with lots of terrific eating places.

Our lanes and streets in the city centre have lots of shops and restaurants so you can just wander up and down them. Melbourne is very safe to walk around. With regards to our Market, I know it is only open on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays for fresh produce but I think that the area selling the souvenirs and odds and ends is open every day of the week as it is very busy on Sundays as a lot of locals shop there.

Have a read through this post and if you have any queries ask away:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=459427

Jennie

Hi Jennie,

I know you are Aussie Gal, not Aussie Girl. I was distracted while I was replying.

Thank you for all of the good information. We are looking forward to Melbourne!

Jeanne

I just checked the information I had and wouldn't you know we will be there on a Wednesday. My info says the Market is closed on Mon and Wed, Good Friday, Anzac Day, Melbourne Cup Day, Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Years Day.

Would the tram still be a good way to get around and see things even without the Market being open. I'm having a hard time with the links on the internet to do much research.

Bummer we also will be in Melbourne on Wed...

BUT...in reading on--might still have trinkets to buy

as we have just returned from 3 weeks in Tahiti and Hawaii.

Another good tram to catch is St. Kilda Beach which also runs along Swanston street. I think it is number 1. , also there is our original gaol and our wonderful Public Library which is free and has a beautiful dome inside the Reading room.

Jennie

Jennie,

Thanks for the great info as we are scheduled to be in Australia/New Zealand for Christmas/New Year's.

Also, I hope you enjoyed Princess as much as we enjoyed Paul Gauguin in Fiji/Tahiti. :)

Hi Tex-Ed and Jacque,

We had a great time and loved every minute of the 3 weeks we were away. We particularly enjoyed our 5 days in Waikiki at the Royal Hawaiian, a first for us and one we hope to repeat some day in the not too distant future.

The weather was perfect and we met some great people with whom we hope to keep in touch. Unfortunately, all good things come to an end and we are home again, in the middle of a very bleak winter though thankfully it is raining which is what we badly need, even though we are having severe floods in the east of our State. In January, we were having terrible bushfires there, so we go from one extreme to the other and the poor farmers are the ones who seem to cop it both ways.

Jennie

Hi Tex-Ed and Jacque,

We had a great time and loved every minute of the 3 weeks we were away. Jennie

Glad you had a great time. We REALLY enjoyed Paul Gauguin. Again, thanks for all the great info you provide. :)

Archived