Best experiences on Russian River cruising

Tennessee Traveler

I thought that it was very interesting that Viking has a major cabin upgrade planned for 2008 on at least one of their Russian ships! Saw Alan's photo in the Viking quarterly newsletter, I took the very same picture.

Hi Cincy Al,

The ship I'm sailing on in 20 days, the Surkov, is scheduled for refurbishment by 2008. I guess I am one of the last to sail on her before this refurbishment.

I didn't see the Viking quarterly report. What picture of mine was in there? Do you know if I can see the Viking report on line?:) Tennessee Traveler

I've done the Russian River Cruise twice..the first in 1999 and the second last July. To me, the best part was viewing the small villages along the river as we cruised. My favorite stop on each trip was in Uglich. St. Petersburg is beautiful. Do not miss either Ctherine's Palace or Peterhof.

Tennessee Traveler,

I did not look for ATM's outside of St Pete and Moscow so I can't help you there. Not many paces in the smaller villages took credit cards. I always have plenty of Rubles. Any leftover Rubles I used as tip money for teh crew.

Hi Tennessee Traveler:

The publication is called "Viking Voyages": The quarterly newsletter of Viking River Cruises: Summer 2007. Photo of Viking River School children dancing on page 24. I took the exact same photo, only had very large man wearing NY yankees shirt walk in front of my camera at last minute.

I don't know if this pub is on-line.

In some of those small towns, there is no place to even use a credit card. The most that you would find would be a street vendor or a small store within a church.

We could use credit cards in Mandrogi and Uglich.

Hi Cincy Al,

I did get to see the picture of the Chinese girls dancing at the Viking School in the publication. We didn't know it was there even though Ruth was looking through it. Was the large man wearing the Yankees shirt handsome with a beard? Sorry to spoil your photo! Tennessee Traveler

Archived