What Kind Of Luggage Do You Use?

RevNeal

Good subject. I think we need to buy a new suitcase for Europe. One of our large ones has a tear across the back. I need to start looking!

As to what we bring, usually two large rolling soft sides, a garment bag for my husband, though he is always disappointed with how things show up. My formal dresses are all easy pack so I just fold them up in ziplocks. I didn't like the way things traveled in a garment bag but I haven't managed to convince DH. We also bring a rolling carryon and a back pack. I think there was also another suitcase on our Alaska trip, but the warm clothes were hardly needed this time.

Excellent subject, Rev

I cruise solo so one medium soft-sided rollon and a smaller soft-sided rollon(fits in airline overheads) are what I use. Both matching navy blue American Tourister. I won't tell you where I bought them since I'm a Carnival cruiser usually and everyone would have coffee on their keyboards. :D

I check the large one and keep camera, charger, puter, cell phone, and basic toiletries with change of clothes in the small one, even on the plane. (just in case). This small one also packs very nicely on the larger one for traveling through airports, etc. so only have one large stack to pull. Large one carries a blue blazer folded in drycleaning plastic (never wrinkles) and several pairs of nice slacks (also with drycleaning plastic between them). Fill the space with shorts, socks, polos, underwear, and extra deck shoes. (I pack in 15 minutes).:D

I've wrapped the handles of these two suitcases with RED duct tape so no one will confuse their navy blue Touristers with mine. Also easy to locate mine amongst a sea of navy blue Touristers. :) Use plastic locks so security won't destroy any locks.

Seems to work for me :rolleyes:

I won't tell you where I bought them since I'm a Carnival cruiser usually and everyone would have coffee on their keyboards.

Hmmmmm ... well, I bought one of my very favorite carry-on bags at Wallmart. :) Is that spewable? ;)

When I cruise solo (for 10+ days) I normally take a medium sized upright rolling bag and a garment bag, both of which get checked, as well as a carry on for my cameras, etc.

I used to travel with my favorite hard-sided 29" Samsonite. It went on too many trips and eventually the wheels were busted off which of course can't be fixed.:(

Some years back I invested in a new set. I use a 30" Big SUR by Ricardo. If traveling with a family member I also bring a rolling garment bag by the same company to transport the dinner wear. I also take a folding cart and piggy back it to the luggage. It works great for once luggage is checked to tote the carry-on.

Oh.. and I use travel space bags too. Not for everything but for some items to reduce the bulk if taking only one piece of luggage. To keep things light - I reduce the # of shoes taken and it seems to help.

Hmmmmm ... well, I bought one of my very favorite carry-on bags at Wallmart. :) Is that spewable? ;)

When I cruise solo (for 10+ days) I normally take a medium sized upright rolling bag and a garment bag, both of which get checked, as well as a carry on for my cameras, etc.

A Wal-Mart shopper - oh, I think I'll leave this one alone! Iknick is already after me about my views on U.S. Wage and Hour laws on another thread - so I best not comment on how I feel about Wal-Mart's labor practices :D

Sears had a great sale this week on a 4pc Forecaster set. For us it was perfect, I already have a couple of other 25" pieces of theirs that I bought individually. This 4pc set had a 25" suitcase, a 21", a zippered tote bag type and a small case perfect for shaving equipment, etc. The 25" and 21" are on wheels with handles. On sale from 139.99 to 59.99. For the amount of traveling we do that we actually use luggage for, this worked out terrific. I've used the other Forecaster pieces several times to the west coast and back and it's held well for relatively inexpensive luggage.

Newbie here (at cruising at least).

Due to restrictions on the rest of our round the world trip we're only allowed 1 bag each. We're taking backpacks. I'm sure that doesn't meet the standard reading the rest of the posts here, but they are convenient with detachable daypacks (that will be our carry-on luggage) with emergency colapsable "shoping totes" if we can't resist buying too much.

They may be backpacks, but they're not cheap ones :p (over $1000 for the two of them)

Cheers,

Richard

We have an expanding suitcase each - DH's being a bit bigger than mine simply because I can't manage a bigger one. I'm an independent sort of woman! We also have a holdall each, just small enough to be classed as "carry on" in which we have our travelling needs such as book, newspaper, camera, hair brush, and spare underwear! in case our luggage travels in a different direction to its owners. Well, it has been known. :D And then I have my purse with all the travel documents, money, credit card etc.

I was given a piece of Atlantic luggage for a birthday gift about 4 years ago.....Loved it so much went right to Kohl's and bought the entire rest of the set...It has many user friendly services (lots of pockets too). After showing it off to friends and family , they went out and bought the same brand. It carries a lifetime warranty on most parts and even has a website www.atlanticluggage.com.

The only thing about it is that I try and keep it nice and the darn airports handle luggage so roughly that it has a couple of small scuffs that won't come off. (I'm one of those anal retentive people who likes to keep my stuff looking like brand new).

Luggage can be very expensive now days. This luggage has taken a beating, (I use it alot!!) still looks nice and serves it's purpose.

We use mostly soft sided luggage now and have pretty much given up on any particular brand. We travel for business frequently and quite frankly have found that given an anvil and a rubber mallet the average airline baggage handler could return the anvil broken within a hour or so. Typical cruise baggage is two 27", two three-suiters, and assorted carry-ons. Of course, part of that is driven by airline restrictions but we're driving to our next cruise.....I'm very afraid. :eek:

Archived