Hair braiding? Where on Western Itinerary?

We'll be on the Mariner in two weeks:o and my DD (10) is hoping to have her hair braided (just a few braids!) We're doing the Western Itinerary, so I'm assuming my options will be in Labadee or Jamaica. Does anyone have any suggestions or experiences to share?

I am not sure where they do it, so I am not speaking from experience, but I have read that it is not the most sanitary of places to get it done. They use the same combs etc time and time again. Plus it takes up a good portion of your time in port. We thought about doing it for our girls, but decided to get it done before we leave on our trip. There is a salon for kids where we live and they charge around 17USD to do a half head braid.

I have heard of people getting lice from doing this, so I will never get it done or let my daughter get it done. If her heart is set on it, bring your own comb/brush. But then, what if the braider has lice eggs on her hands?

Oh, icky-doo!:eek:

We'll be on the Mariner in two weeks:o and my DD (10) is hoping to have her hair braided (just a few braids!) We're doing the Western Itinerary, so I'm assuming my options will be in Labadee or Jamaica. Does anyone have any suggestions or experiences to share?

everywhere

We are on the Mariner in two weeks also. July 15th. Not sure if you joined us on the Roll Call. If not, come on over.

We've had them done on labadee and in Jamaica as well. There are hair braiders on the beaches in Labadee and in Jamaica the tour guide set it up for my daughter.

Just be careful. It always worked out except one time....my daughter was crying after it saying the braids were tight. Later that night she was sobbing and I had to take them out in the middle of the night - and it took HOURS.

The next day another woman checked her scalp and was appalled because there was a red line - apparently that is a sure sign of tight braids and poor technique. She refused to touch her hair for two days because of the inflammation she saw.

Needless to say we never did it again.

Thankfully there was no damage to the roots - can you imagine???

Be watchful.

Aside from lice and hurting scalp, what better way to look like a tourist!

I/m trying to picture this. My family and I, all white, walking around Jamaica and some of the locals say to each other, hey mon, you think they are from around here.

threeofus, Thanks for sharing your experience; that must have been awful.

Okay... so what was I thinking? No braids!

I was only going to to do a few, NOT the whole head. She had four done when we visitied Mexico and they looked great. But they were done in the salon at our resort (different circumstances).

Thanks.

They were braiding hair everywhere, with the exception of Grand Cayman, but I bet if I had gone into town, they would have been doing it there too. Our girls had it done 3 years ago in Nassau, and never again. Their scalps got sunburned and it took forever to get them out.

The locals on our excursion boat in Jamaica really wanted to braid their hair, but we just politely said "no thanks."

Take her to your hair dresser BEFORE you leave. My DD friend had the braiding done in Cozumel and cried the entire time because they were pulling her hair so tightly (she was 16 at the time). It was near impossible to get out because it was done so tight. I've heard other horror stories about braiding at other ports so you might want to do a search on the boards to get some other opinions as well.

I have had my daughter's done in Florida and in Spain ~ she loves it and looks so cute :)

One bit of advice I can offer is that you MUST put extra protection on their scalps or they will get a red sunburn line.

We have never had this problem because the first time we had it done we were advised about the scalp needing extra protection.

I made my DD wear a cap in the heat of the day and just sprayed on sun tan lotion and didn't even rub it in.

She was absolutely fine and I wouldn't hesitate to have it done again

(although you have made me want to bring my own comb next time:D )

threeofus, Thanks for sharing your experience; that must have been awful.

Okay... so what was I thinking? No braids!

I was only going to to do a few, NOT the whole head. She had four done when we visitied Mexico and they looked great. But they were done in the salon at our resort (different circumstances).

Thanks.

I think a couple of braids are fine ---if they are hanging rather than braided to the scalp - maybe two on each side with some pretty beads or something like that. They look very cute and since they aren't braided to the scalp you don't have to worry about sunburn :eek: or pulling.:eek: :eek:

(and bring your own comb)

What about getting them braided on board? Do they offer that service in the spa or a salon?

When we went to Atlantis in the Bahamas last year, they braided hair in the resort's salon.

If they offered it, it would probably be more expensive on the ship, but at least it would be sanitary and less apt to be painful.

Jen

Watch out. My daughter got lice in hawaii.

O.K. O.K,

Enough speculation, this is advice from a professional braider that has been braiding hair since she was 4. Many times on this board I have asked people intent on getting braids to take some precautions if having their hair braided in port cities.

First--too tight braids are not a sign of poor technique--it's a sign of too tight braids--you must tell the stylist that she is gripping too tight. Here in the states I know plenty of people that this is done and they have headaches and are applying cold compresses to the scalp for relief. This is bad and can result in hair lost.

If you decide this is what you want--do take your own comb and insist that it be used. A styling comb known as a "rat tail" comb is best. It has small teeth for gathering fine hair and also makes parts easier.

There are two main techniques--individuals and cornrows. My experience is that most caucasians want the look of cornrows. My suggestions is to have the cornrows done in the front to move the hair away from the face and then have individuals plaits done for the remainder of the hair. This is easier on the scalp and will stay longer without stray hair coming loose while asleep. This also works best for creating up-doos for formal nights.

Remember braiding hair will result in less protection for the scalp and you must wear protection or the results will be sunburned scalp.

If you want the hair style to last for weeks (I keep mine for three weeks) purchased some "fake hair" your hair color and have them add a few strands to each braid. This is not for lengthening but for the braiding to stay. If you want length (extensions) purchase human hair in at least 12 inch lengths. You will need to ask if your braider can do extensions- not everyone can. If you want extensions you will need two braiders because it takes a lot of time. You can wash the hair just like you do normally, concentrating on applying shampoo and stuff to the scalp without vigorusly rubbing the braids.

Personally, I like to braid any type of hair while damp-it's just easier to handle. I also apply styling gel or mousee to caucasian hair.

Prices-I don't know what the island people charge but a full head of corn rows here is about 40-60 dollars. Doing a full head in the "Bo Derek" style expect to pay $200.

Now would I have a child's done? Recommendation - A few individuals on the side with beads--this is all most children want for a few days. Have it done at home and preferably by a "regulated" salon.

You can get it braided pretty much everywhere......My daughter and I have had ours braided several times and have never gotten lice. The nicest place was the salon at Sunset Beach resort in Jamaica (shown in my signature pic actually), very nice place to spend the day. We have also gotten it braided at Passion Island in Cozumel and from regular ladies in the shopping areas as you get off the ship or stationed on the beach.

Archived