As You Wish Dining - Opinions, Comments and Discussions

silvercruiser

Carol, it was a very short experiment!!! One of the shortest I've ever seen before transitioning over. Very few actually got a chance to experience the experiment.

Hammy, I agree 100%. I promised I'd never do this, but I remember the "good old days" when I would visit my TA in her office and we would pour over all the brochures and she would tell me her experience on different cruise lines. If I had a question, she called immediately and got an answer.

But I realize I'm dreaming and those days are gone forever. I was just having one of those moments;) .

I can't possibly go back and read all of the posts in this thread, so I apologize if this has been mentioned by someone else, but I wanted to tell you our experience.

We booked the New Zealand/Australia Volendam cruise for 24 October 2008 yesterday. Well over a year in advance. While my dh and I (and my BIL and SIL who will also be with us) are not opposed to AYW Dining, my 74-year-old father-in-law IS. So we all said, fine, we don't care so Dad can have it how he wants it. Then I called HAL and booked the cruise. Guess what? The traditional dining times are both waitlisted! Even this far in advance.

Personally, we'll have AYW on the Volendam in November, I've tried it on Princess and liked it, so we expect to have a good experience with it. But Dad is NOT happy. I told him maybe some of the traditional times will open up after final payment date (late July) and we'll be bumped up to confirmed. And if it doesn't happen, then I think we'll talk him around to AYW. At least by then I'll have experienced it on a HAL ship and can tell him the pros and cons.

I just thought it was very interesting that even this far in advance, I couldn't get a table for six confirmed traditional dining.

Robin

If you are looking for a table for only your party, if this works like Princess does it (very well, by the way, in our opinion) if you end up in the AYW, you will be able to confirm your same table for the same time for the entire cruise by seeing the maitre de on the first day. You might want to wait to confirm until after the first night to be sure you like your wait team. You can also confirm for a more convenient time than the specific early dining. It is a wonderful option, and I would still opt for that, regardless if traditional opens.

Just my opinion,

Judy

I agree. The problem in Calgary where I live jobs are plentiful and to say the economy is booming would be a huge understatement. The fact that my agent argued with me for 15 min. and also told me I'm confused about AYW dining shows how little they really know. Why would I go to such an agent you ask. She's the best of a bad bunch!

Great news about your economy.

Too bad this agent did not invest the 15 minutes in learning about the product she is trying to sell, instead of arguing with you.

Is there a reason why Canadians cannot book with U.S. travel agencies or vice-versa?

Hammy, I agree 100%. I promised I'd never do this, but I remember the "good old days" when I would visit my TA in her office and we would pour over all the brochures and she would tell me her experience on different cruise lines. If I had a question, she called immediately and got an answer.

But I realize I'm dreaming and those days are gone forever. I was just having one of those moments;) .

I think there are still agencies like this but they may not be just down the street from us, anymore. I also think they may not offer the best price and we middle-market consumers have a tendency to buy almost everything based upon price instead of a balance of price and service, the way the luxury market tends to do.

We made it clear to airlines that we don't care about much other than safety and a cheap seats and flying anywhere is now an almost guaranteed miserable experience. ( As an aside, I think HAL is hitting home runs by increasingly operating round trip niche sails to So. America/Asia / Austrailia/ So. Pacific).

Anyway, back to my point, only time will tell if consumers are willing to forgo a smidge of a discount to maintain a relationship with a cruising professional, who knows their stuff.

but I remember the "good old days" when I would visit my TA in her office and we would pour over all the brochures and she would tell me her experience on different cruise lines. If I had a question, she called immediately and got an answer.

I don't know if most travel agents were women in the "good old days". But if they were, times have really changed for women. Bright, talented, hard working women have so many more options today. So it is possible that the caliber of travel agents has declined because women have better options. I don't know? But if this is true, then I don't miss the "good old days".

I don't know who it was, but someone on here said she missed the "good old days" when women had to wear skirts and heels to work. I am glad that world no longer exits for most women. Why should we be forced to develop bunions and back pain.

Ahoy!

Just another look at the original news release. During this 'implementation phase' I'm not sure HAL's "unique computer system" will satisfy one and all. We haven't tried it yet (on any cruise line) but we're willing to at least give it a shot (after going through a short-lived pouting stage of course).

Speaking of which, I booked a 3/08 Volendam Carib cruise just two weeks ago and confirmed traditional dining was no problem. Go figure. I believe each individual HAL ship is will be going through this 'shake out' phase a tad differently depending on ship size, length of cruise and age demographics IMO. However, we will endure!

Now, the 7/07 'official' release for 'refresher' purposes:

NEWS RELEASE

July 16, 2007

For Immediate Release

Holland America Line Introduces As You Wish Dining

Open Seating and Open Times Offer Greater Choice

Seattle, July 16, 2007 – Holland America Line launches As You Wish dining, an innovative program that allows guests to choose from the best of both worlds – either traditional pre-set seating and dining times, or a completely flexible dining schedule. One level of the two-tiered restaurant will offer a flexible/open dining service from 5:15 to 9 p.m. daily, and the other will host two seatings, an early and main seating.

“Providing more options for our guests has been a hallmark of our Signature of Excellence initiative,” said Richard D. Meadows, CTC, executive vice president, marketing, sales, and guest programs. “Since flexible dining options have become more desirable by many of our guests, we will roll As You Wish dining out across the fleet to provide the most flexibility, choice and service to our guests.

“We’ve operated As You Wish dining in a pre-launch phase aboard the ms Noordam and the feedback has been overwhelmingly positive,” Meadows added.

Prior to their cruise, during the booking phase, guests will choose flexible/open dining or Holland America Line’s traditional pre-set dining time (early or main). Guests with flexible seating may make reservations daily during a cruise up to 4 p.m. or simply walk up anytime during dining hours. Holland America Line manages reservations and guest preferences through a unique computer system ensuring the same efficient and high quality service for the flexible/open dining as with the traditional pre-set format.

In addition to fixed and flexible/open dining options in the main dining room, Holland America Line features the reservations-only Pinnacle Grill restaurant with Pacific Northwest steak and seafood specialties and casual Lido dining with <SPAN>waiter service and the option to select dishes from the main restaurant menu or regular

The travel agent's job description is to counsel passengers and sell cruises. I think it is incumbent upon the travel agent to know their product, read the press releases, frequent the message boards, visit the web sites and cultivate relationships, within the cruise lines. We are talking about an investment of an hour +/- a week, into their own product knowledge.

I am not going to blame my TA for not knowing about the AYWD changes. When we booked our cruise in January for this November AYWD had not been announced by Hal and we booked a traditional 6:15 dinner seating. When we received an invoice from the TA in April, that’s when I noticed we had been changed to the 5:45 seating. The TA called HAL at that time and got the explanation that HAL had eliminated the 6:15 and 8:30 seatings on the Volendam, nothing at that time was said about the AYWD option by HAL to the TA. Needless to say we were very upset about the move to 5:45 as it was deemed by my DW and I too early to eat, but we had no choice but to accept the time. It wasn’t until early June when the first postings started appearing that we learned about the AYWD. It was about this same time that our TA was informed about it from HAL. I also believe that the mention about it on HAL’s website didn’t appear until sometime in July. How can we blame our TA when HAL did not make announcements to the TA’s until late spring? So, I reiterate, HAL dropped the ball on the announcing the change to the AYWD and in doing so they upset a lot of their loyal cruisers, but I am very happy with the change and am looking forward to eating when and with whom we choose in November:D .

Great news about your economy.

Too bad this agent did not invest the 15 minutes in learning about the product she is trying to sell, instead of arguing with you.

Is there a reason why Canadians cannot book with U.S. travel agencies or vice-versa?

I'm not sure if Canadians can book through a US agency or not. Because I've had several problems with several agents I am reluctant to go to any agency that I can not see face to face if I had issues. On one of my cruises someone told me they had an awesome agent in the US and I should try her. I tried several times to contact this person and emails were not returned. If she was treating me like that before I've dealt with her what would it be like after.

I wish our economy would cool down because it is not pleasent to live here. Someone on the board was talking about the good old days. I long for those days but they are gone forever.

I don't know if most travel agents were women in the "good old days". But if they were, times have really changed for women. Bright, talented, hard working women have so many more options today. So it is possible that the caliber of travel agents has declined because women have better options. I don't know? But if this is true, then I don't miss the "good old days".

I don't know who it was, but someone on here said she missed the "good old days" when women had to wear skirts and heels to work. I am glad that world no longer exits for most women. Why should we be forced to develop bunions and back pain.

No ... both men and women were Travel Agents. I guess you have to have lived those years to miss them. Being a Travel Agent then was a fabulous job with many perks. I had friends who were Travel Agents (you would never call them a TA then) with vast knowledge and they travelled around the world. It was not a demeaning position at all nor should it be now.

What one person considers a "better option" might not be seen by another as one. Times were so different then. I had a corporate career in NYC for 20 years so I worked through decades of changing times. I loved when we "dressed" for work ... loved the suits, the shoes, the whole enchilada. It was a great time.

I cannot agree that it is a better world for women today, but I completely understand that is my personal view. I ache for the 70's and 80's ... the best years of my life. Women have shot themselves in the foot so many times that we now are back to square one as far as I'm concerned. Witness Britney Spears ... we fought for so much only to come back to this.

JMO!!! Don't flame me. And nothing about cruising. Sorry, but this is something I feel very strongly about. They were amazing times and I'm proud and happy to have lived through them.

Booked in April for a March, 2008 cruise and requested late seating, table for 6 or 8. Checked in July and was waitlisted, #35 on the list. Checked this week and was waitlisted, #38 on the list. :mad: So, I guess it's not first come, first served. My cc at HAL said unless a large group books I should get my choice.:confused:

I guess AYW is only for those who wish what HAL wishes.:mad:

Can you guess I'm not a happy sailor. :rolleyes: I'm not against free style dining and will enjoy it on the Noordam in Dec. when I sail with my friend. It's just that when sailing solo I do want to my dining experience to provide some continuity from day to day.

Carole

There you have it!!! Quote for the day, Carole:) . I don't blame how you feel and I'm hoping you get what you want.

Doesn't sound like you're far down the list so hopefully you will, but it's odd you moved down instead of up, isn't it? Makes you wonder who was more important!

Business in general favors those clients who represent the most revenue.

As it relates to cruising, this often means the lucrative group cruises and clearly HAL is keeping their options open to accommodate groups. This has nothing to do with AYW Dining, unless of course, a large group sticks beans up their noses, and insists upon a fixed seating. When this happens, it is most likely going to happen in early seating so that any subsequent planned group activities can proceed with minimal disruption to all passengers.

All cruise lines and resort hotel aggresively compete with each other for group business. It's the nature of the beast, now days.

Understanding the motivation does not imply I agree with the outcomes.

How can we blame our TA when HAL did not make announcements to the TA’s until late spring? So, I reiterate, HAL dropped the ball on the announcing the change to the AYWD and in doing so they upset a lot of their loyal cruisers, but I am very happy with the change and am looking forward to eating when and with whom we choose in November:D .

Of course you can't blame your T/A in your situation. I was referring to those travel agents still are clueless about AYW.

AYW has been live on the Noordam going back to May, 07. Readers of this board saw the roll-out schedule on July 1. This was the pre-announcement to T/As, before the general public.

In your case, it worked out, as intended. You are getting what you want/when you want, the objective of AYW, I think. Let's just hope that what you want/when is not what/when everyone else wants/when. :D

There you have it!!! Quote for the day, Carole:) .
Except that pretty much the same thing has been said by critics of the changes in this thread on a bunch of other days....

.... over and over .... rotfl.gif

I don't blame how you feel and I'm hoping you get what you want.
I would suspect that no one does.

THANKS for the heads up. That's an itinerary I MIGHT try to book. It's a possibility, at any rate. And it's a cruise I'd like to take.

I have an even better idea. If you're looking for something in 2009, why not join me on a Grand Voyage! I just booked (well, actually paid the hundred bucks to reserve a spot on the priority wait list) the Austrailia, New Zealand and South Pacific Grand Voyage. 66 days of pure bliss! It will be the perfect "reward" for finishing this crap school ... and since I won't be cruising before then, I'll have plenty of time to save up the significant bucks required for such a trip ...

It would be great if you could join me, Rev!

Blue skies ...

--rita

Prior to their cruise, during the booking phase, guests will choose flexible/open dining or Holland America Line’s traditional pre-set dining time (early or main). Guests with flexible seating may make reservations daily during a cruise up to 4 p.m. or simply walk up anytime during dining hours. ....... and casual Lido dining with <SPAN> waiter service and the option to select dishes from the main restaurant menu or regular

So I'm understanding that if I have already elected a fixed seating time (ours is Early) we cannot take advantage of the open dining occasionally, such as when we're returning late from a shore excursion? Too bad we can't use the "open dinning" for those times. We usually just go up to the Lido, and that's fine too.

Actually, this thread, being a Sticky, is to help people learn about how As You Wish dining works. It is for people who want to learn about this exciting new offering from Holland America.

Seems we have a difference of opinion.

Big surprise. :)

So I'm understanding that if I have already elected a fixed seating time (ours is Early) we cannot take advantage of the open dining occasionally, such as when we're returning late from a shore excursion? Too bad we can't use the "open dinning" for those times. We usually just go up to the Lido, and that's fine too.

The same as you would not be able to go from early seating to late seating on the same cruise. Just drop the early seating and opt for the AYWD.

I'm not sure if Canadians can book through a US agency or not. Because I've had several problems with several agents I am reluctant to go to any agency that I can not see face to face if I had issues. On one of my cruises someone told me they had an awesome agent in the US and I should try her. I tried several times to contact this person and emails were not returned. If she was treating me like that before I've dealt with her what would it be like after.

I wish our economy would cool down because it is not pleasent to live here. Someone on the board was talking about the good old days. I long for those days but they are gone forever.

I have booked (this year) with a US based agency (7blueseas) and have been happy on all counts! Despite our ($C) increased value, it has been profitable to do so because predetermined rates by cruiselines are greater than the per diem rate of our banks. I have had no problem, in this regard.

I have booked (this year) with a US based agency (7blueseas) and have been happy on all counts! Despite our ($C) increased value, it has been profitable to do so because predetermined rates by cruiselines are greater than the per diem rate of our banks. I have had no problem, in this regard.

That's great info Ladysmith. Thank you. This board is a great learning resource.

In May, on the Noordam, so many in fixed seating bolted for AYW, that it was appaernet to the most causal observer that the crew had no idea when or where anyone would show up. They were tracking dining by cabin number/arrival time in all dining venues. As I understand it, this is also an issue on Princess.

So HAL has decided that those who choose fixed seating are not going to be able to opt in and out, because it's this kind of behavior that creates the a greater potential for for more diners, than tables available.

Booked in April for a March, 2008 cruise and requested late seating, table for 6 or 8. Checked in July and was waitlisted, #35 on the list. Checked this week and was waitlisted, #38 on the list. :mad: So, I guess it's not first come, first served. My cc at HAL said unless a large group books I should get my choice.:confused:

Can you guess I'm not a happy sailor. :rolleyes: I'm not against free style dining and will enjoy it on the Noordam in Dec. when I sail with my friend. It's just that when sailing solo I do want to my dining experience to provide some continuity from day to day.

Carole

Carole you don't mention how you booked.......if a TA is involved I'd keep after her/him. If you booked on line then keep after HAL.

Regardless of the outcome before sailing, the moment you board make sure you visit the Maitre'd/Hotel Manager even if it means standing in line to talk to him - no single should be left out on a limb as you seem to be. There's a saying, 'the squeaky wheel gets the oil' SQUEAK VERY LOUDLY!

I seem to have lost my 'faces' for use during a post - they've just gone! Also typefaces, sizes and colors too. Guess I've incorrectly ticked something or other. Can anyone help?

Please visualize a very 'sad face'

So HAL has decided that those who choose fixed seating are not going to be able to opt in and out, because it's this kind of behavior that creates the a greater potential for for more diners, than tables available.

And that's only fair. There is no way HAL could plan anything with people running back and forth from Traditional to AYW. Nor is it fair to the people who opt in to Traditional dining who have no desire to bolt for AYW.