As You Wish Dining - Opinions, Comments and Discussions

silvercruiser

I am assigned open seating on my upcoming July 12 9 day TA and 12 day Baltic, well it is a collectors 21 day. Never had open seating before and am a little nervouss about it as I am travelling alone. At first I didn't like the idea because I enjoy a "family" of tablemates. But then I thought well this is a long cruise...maybe a good idea. Any thoughts on open seating for a long cruise like this, especially solo? Sure hope I meet up with people to eat with.

Then you really didn't get As You Wish Dining, but got open seating instead. I'm sorry you didn't get what you wanted.

When you board go to the appointed place and see if your dining assignment can be changed. Have them take your name/cabin number. In the first couple of days things might shake out so that there's an opening in the dining that you wish.

Hi, Just a quick update. We did do open dining the first night. Got there about 8.15 and only had to wait 5 min . Got a table for only two but since that isn't our thing we asked to switch to traditional seating with some other people. Worked out great for us and we got great company.

• 4 weeks later...
I am assigned open seating on my upcoming July 12 9 day TA and 12 day Baltic, well it is a collectors 21 day. Never had open seating before and am a little nervouss about it as I am travelling alone. At first I didn't like the idea because I enjoy a "family" of tablemates. But then I thought well this is a long cruise...maybe a good idea. Any thoughts on open seating for a long cruise like this, especially solo? Sure hope I meet up with people to eat with.

I'm on a December Maasdam cruise, 11 days, to the Caribbean and I have never tried open seating either....I am also a solo lady traveler. Let me know, when you return, how it worked for you!

We enjoyed open seating on the Amsterdam. We never made a reservation because we like the freedom of choosing to eat whenever we feel like it, not needing to decide in advance or rushing to be there at a specific time.

We also very much like that you always get the choice of dining with others or having a table to yourselves. That suits us best because sometimes we are in a sociable mood and other times we just want to be left alone and don't feel like making chit-chat.

If you like to meet people, you can meet a lot more people this way than with traditional dining where you sit at the same table with the same people for every night of the entire cruise.

Most nights we were seated right away. A few times we had a wait of about 10-20 minutes. They gave us a buzzer and we could go to a bar or to the library area where the time passed very quickly as we would read magazines or the news or work puzzles or get on the internet or just sit in a comfortable chair gazing out the window so we did not mind the short wait at all.

Thinking of taking an Alaskan cruise on HA and wondered about the "As you wish dining". We do not care for formal nights and don't care to go to the main dining rooms on any night. We have never tried to intrude on anyone's dining experience on formal nights. We enjoy the lido dining or grabbing a sandwich when we want it. We do not however want to be confined to our room to eat. We cruised with HA in '04 and was really enjoying our cruise until the first formal night. We discretely went up to the lido deck to eat and was trying to stay out of everyone's way. We decided to go down and watch a movie after eating and didn't think that would offend anyone. We were in shorts but we didn't go around where the "formal dressed" passengers were. Leaving the theater and trying to go back on deck a woman passenger was behind us and made a smart remark. She said, "do they not know what formal night means". It was all I could do to keep my husband walking and not slugging her. We have never cruised with HA since. We don't like being around snobbish people. I understand all the post about people not wanting to dress on formal nights and the correct dress but they always refer to people going to main dining rooms. Are all passengers that snobbish on HA that they won't allow us to go get a sandwich on formal nights if we aren't decked out in formal wear? Question is, can we go to Alaska on HA and plan to not dress up on formal nights or attend the main dining rooms?

All of the dining venues on HAL, including the Lido are part of their "As You Wish Dining". You're free to grab dinner there any night if you wish. HAL also has wonderful room service, you're able to order off the MDR dinner menu if you wish. It isn't just the MDR where one can dine as they wish.

In the Lido (and of course your cabin) you may dress casual any night.

HAL does request that one follow the dress code in public areas in the evening. For "slugging" a fellow passenger, on any night, your DH would probably have most abruptly ended your cruise.

Edited by Mary Ellen

Mary Ellen thanks for the info. I guess I was really exaggerating a little on the "slugging", but the woman was about to hear a few choice words. Instead he didn't stoop to her level. You must be one of the snobbish ones, you are trying to banish us to our cabin to eat. If I am welcome to eat on the Lido deck any night how the heck do you expect me to get there? Have you people never been on a cruise where people wanted to get out of those "monkey suits" after dinner. You wouldn't know whether I had been dressed up for an earlier dinner and changed or not. You all should lighten up and enjoy your cruise and stop worrying about what others might be doing. In most of the post you all just want the people not dressed in formal attire to stay out of your dining rooms on formal nights, now you want us detained in our rooms. If HA plans on taking my 5000 dollars for the cruise, I will dress as I please going to and from the Lido deck and if that ruins your cruise experience I am sorry for you. Get a life.

Thinking of taking an Alaskan cruise on HA and wondered about the "As you wish dining". We do not care for formal nights and don't care to go to the main dining rooms on any night. We have never tried to intrude on anyone's dining experience on formal nights. We enjoy the lido dining or grabbing a sandwich when we want it. We do not however want to be confined to our room to eat. We cruised with HA in '04 and was really enjoying our cruise until the first formal night. We discretely went up to the lido deck to eat and was trying to stay out of everyone's way. We decided to go down and watch a movie after eating and didn't think that would offend anyone. We were in shorts but we didn't go around where the "formal dressed" passengers were. Leaving the theater and trying to go back on deck a woman passenger was behind us and made a smart remark. She said, "do they not know what formal night means". It was all I could do to keep my husband walking and not slugging her. We have never cruised with HA since. We don't like being around snobbish people. I understand all the post about people not wanting to dress on formal nights and the correct dress but they always refer to people going to main dining rooms. Are all passengers that snobbish on HA that they won't allow us to go get a sandwich on formal nights if we aren't decked out in formal wear? Question is, can we go to Alaska on HA and plan to not dress up on formal nights or attend the main dining rooms?

Yes, most certainly you can! I cruise solo, ALWAYS dress smart casual on formal nights, dine in either Lido or Canaletto & walk about in any public area onboard after my meals! :) (And don't believe anyone here on CC who may state that you are not permitted to be in any public area during the evening on formal nights while dressed smart casual)! ;)

All of the dining venues on HAL, including the Lido are part of their "As You Wish Dining". You're free to grab dinner there any night if you wish. HAL also has wonderful room service, you're able to order off the MDR dinner menu if you wish. It isn't just the MDR where one can dine as they wish.

In the Lido (and of course your cabin) you may dress casual any night.

HAL does request that one follow the dress code in public areas in the evening. For "slugging" a fellow passenger, on any night, your DH would probably have most abruptly ended your cruise.

Really? Refer me to the specific language on the HAL website that states "request that one follow the dress code in public areas in the evening"! So, according to your statement, if I dress smart casual on formal nights, I have to return to my stateroom for the balance of the evening after I have dinner in either Lido or Canaletto, because virtually all areas are public, onboard, which I am not permitted to visit/attend being dressed smart casual on formal nights? :mad:

I'm sorry I didn't specifically mention Caneletto in my reply. In my mind that is part of the Lido. Many people unfamiliar with HAL don't realize that anyone can order off the MDR menu for room service, that is why I mentioned it as a option in addition to dining in the Lido.

From the HAL site on Is There A Dress Code?:

Evening dress falls into two distinct categories: Formal or Smart Casual. Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and collared shirts for men and casual dresses, slacks and informal evening wear for women. T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours. On festive Formal evenings, ladies usually wear a suit, cocktail dress or gown and gentlemen wear a jacket and tie, dark suit or tuxedo. There are approximately two formal nights per week.

In order to complement your fellow guests, Holland America Line asks that you observe the suggested dress code throughout the entire evening.

The bolding and underlining are mine.

FWIW, I feel it is rude to tell another passenger (or poster) that they are dressed inappropriately or are snobbish.

I had "As You Wish" dining on the Oosterdam in May and it worked well for us with very little if any wait when we arrived. However, I did not realize that we needed a reservation for the Master Chefs night. Apparently, they force the "As You Wish" diners to a traditional seating times to accommodate the "show."

This isn't a big deal, but I was surprised when we arrived and told we'd have to come back at 7:45 p.m. I guess I missed it in the daily program. Thank goodness we didn't arrive later. Since we weren't big fans of the menu, we'll probably do Canaletto instead on our next cruise.

I had "As You Wish" dining on the Oosterdam in May and it worked well for us with very little if any wait when we arrived. However, I did not realize that we needed a reservation for the Master Chefs night. Apparently, they force the "As You Wish" diners to a traditional seating times to accommodate the "show."
Passengers with open and traditional seating are part of HAL's "As You Wish Dining". That is their generic (and IMO meaningless) term for all of their dining on board.

Really? Refer me to the specific language on the HAL website that states "request that one follow the dress code in public areas in the evening"!

Check the FAQ's for Dress Code on the HAL web site (emphasis mine):

Evening dress falls into two distinct categories: Formal or Smart Casual. Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and collared shirts for men and casual dresses, slacks and informal evening wear for women. T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours. On festive Formal evenings, ladies usually wear a suit, cocktail dress or gown and gentlemen wear a jacket and tie, dark suit or tuxedo. There are approximately two formal nights per week.

In order to complement your fellow guests, Holland America Line asks that you observe the suggested dress code throughout the entire evening.

Edited by Boytjie

You must be one of the snobbish ones, you are trying to banish us to our cabin to eat.

Funny how the ones that follow the dress code automatically are the "snobbish" ones. Does that mean those that don't become the "slobbish" one? :rolleyes:

You are not banished to your cabin to eat. The Lido and Canaletto are options, as has been mentioned. You could get there without having to walk through the main areas where formally dressed people may congregate. And if you do follow the dress code you are not restricted at all! :D

If I am welcome to eat on the Lido deck any night how the heck do you expect me to get there? Have you people never been on a cruise where people wanted to get out of those "monkey suits" after dinner. You wouldn't know whether I had been dressed up for an earlier dinner and changed or not. You all should lighten up and enjoy your cruise and stop worrying about what others might be doing. In most of the post you all just want the people not dressed in formal attire to stay out of your dining rooms on formal nights, now you want us detained in our rooms. If HA plans on taking my 5000 dollars for the cruise, I will dress as I please going to and from the Lido deck and if that ruins your cruise experience I am sorry for you. Get a life.

That woman was out of line, but your husband would have been just as out of line IMO. WCould you run into another such a person on a HAL ship? Maybe. Are all HAL formally dressed people like that? No.

And you don't help your argument by referring to people dressed to code as being in "monkey suits".

Funny how the ones that follow the dress code automatically are the "snobbish" ones. Does that mean those that don't become the "slobbish" one? :rolleyes:

You are not banished to your cabin to eat. The Lido and Canaletto are options, as has been mentioned. You could get there without having to walk through the main areas where formally dressed people may congregate. And if you do follow the dress code you are not restricted at all! :D

That woman was out of line, but your husband would have been just as out of line IMO. WCould you run into another such a person on a HAL ship? Maybe. Are all HAL formally dressed people like that? No.

And you don't help your argument by referring to people dressed to code as being in "monkey suits".

Nonsense! :mad:

Which part is nonsense? :confused:

The part about not being seen or walking in any public area during the evening on formal nights, while dressed, for example, smart casual, like myself! I will continue to walk through ANY public area on formal nights, dressed smart casual, after having had dinner in either Lido or Canaletto! ;):p:D:)

The part about not being seen or walking in any public area during the evening on formal nights, while dressed, for example, smart casual, like myself! I will continue to walk through ANY public area on formal nights, dressed smart casual, after having had dinner in either Lido or Canaletto! ;):p:D:)

Well, that is not quite what I said, is it? I said it is physically possible to walk from your cabin to the Lido buffet without passing through those public areas. ;)

What you are doing is not in the spirit of the Dress Code and that is another issue that I don't care to get into. I was addressing the poster's argument about being banished to their room.

Well, that is not quite what I said, is it? I said it is physically possible to walk from your cabin to the Lido buffet without passing through those public areas. ;)

What you are doing is not in the spirit of the Dress Code and that is another issue that I don't care to get into. I was addressing the poster's argument about being banished to their room.

And I don't care if it is "physically possible to walk from your cabin to the Lido buffet without passing through those public areas"! ;) So sorry that by being dressed smart casual "is not in the spirit of the Dress Code", according to you! I'm comfortable being dressed smart casual on formal nights, (and will continue to do so)!

Edited by GeriatricNurse

And I don't care if it is "physically possible to walk from your cabin to the Lido buffet without passing through those public areas"! ;) So sorry that by being dressed smart casual "is not in the spirit of the Dress Code", according to you! I'm comfortable being dressed smart casual on formal nights, (and will continue to do so)!

Not according to me... according to HAL's Dress Code. :rolleyes:

I'm afraid I still like the old fashion seating whereby you sit with the same passengers every night. It is the only time you all get together for the day and we have made lifeling friends over dinner

I'm afraid I still like the old fashion seating whereby you sit with the same passengers every night. It is the only time you all get together for the day and we have made lifeling friends over dinner

We have made friends too during open seating; can't call it lifelong yet but it has lasted a few years and we have done other things together between cruises like visiting each other and go camping. ;)

My last two cruises I tried fixed seating after years of doing open. At a table of six, the first cruise only four of six showed up routinely and on the second cruise only two nights out of fourteen had all six people in attendance. Don't know if this is typical or just an oddity. I'm going back to open.

Ron