As You Wish Dining - Opinions, Comments and Discussions

silvercruiser

I usually use the "Open" dining when available (not available on some cruises with HAL) since I really like to make spur of the moment decisions on what I am going to do. That said, when I do choose the MDR I usually eat very early. Have not had to wait in line. I suspect if I went at the prime times it would be a different situation.

Susan

• 4 weeks later...

Will be going on the Ryndam in Nov, first time my family is trying open seating. (I have tried it once and loved it) What times should we avoid trying to get in the MDR? I just want this to go as smoothly as we can get because if they dont like it this time they will never try it again.

• 3 months later...

First time with "as you wish" dining and it worked out great BUT it's not for everyone. We got to meet new people that we stayed friends with the entire cruise. A couple nights we ate with some fairly grumpy people but better a couple nights than seven. And we never had a meal where we didn't like at least a couple of folks at the table.

The only problem we had was most of our servers were fairly new and had a bit of a language problem. I like an occasional gin martini with dinner and I'm pretty specific and they couldn't get it right. I like mine up and dirty with three olives. The first time it came without olives and not dirty. The second time it came on the rocks. They never did understand the "dirty" part of it. (BTW - HAL does not have real cocktail olives. They are simply pitted green olives. And not very tasty at that.) I doubt I would have had this problem more than once in fixed seating.

We never waited more than a couple of minutes for seating even the one time we asked for a table for two. Food was exactly the same as fixed. We could usually pick our location. Loved being able to eat with new friends and not having to rush to a seating.

Edited by HALCruiserChris

First time with "as you wish" dining and it worked out great BUT it's not for everyone. We got to meet new people that we stayed friends with the entire cruise. A couple nights we ate with some fairly grumpy people but better a couple nights than seven. And we never had a meal where we didn't like at least a couple of folks at the table.

The only problem we had was most of our servers were fairly new and had a bit of a language problem. I like an occasional gin martini with dinner and I'm pretty specific and they couldn't get it right. I like mine up and dirty with three olives. The first time it came without olives and not dirty. The second time it came on the rocks. They never did understand the "dirty" part of it. (BTW - HAL does not have real cocktail olives. They are simply pitted green olives. And not very tasty at that.) I doubt I would have had this problem more than once in fixed seating.

We never waited more than a couple of minutes for seating even the one time we asked for a table for two. Food was exactly the same as fixed. We could usually pick our location. Loved being able to eat with new friends and not having to rush to a seating.

And neither do I! Do you mean "dirty" glass? :confused:

It has nothing to do with a dirty glass - ick!. You pour a little bit of olive juice into the drink (martini) so it's not clear, and it adds a bit of saltiness/flavor to the drink.

Roz

And neither do I! Do you mean "dirty" glass? :confused:

Google is your friend. ;)

A dirty martini contains a splash of olive brine or olive juice and is typically garnished with an olive.[url=
#cite_note-7]
[/url]

Thank you for clarifying Boytjie and Roz. Sorry for the confusion Geriatric. I hope you all got the point. When we first signed on and were "assigned" open seating I was a little apprehensive. But as it turned out I really enjoyed the "As You Wish" dining option. I will most definitely sign up for it on our next cruise.

But as it turned out I really enjoyed the "As You Wish" dining option.

There are many options within "As You Wish", but there is no option for "As You Wish". We all have it.

Edited by RuthC

• 1 month later...

Does HAL still have fixed seating, traditional dining? We are Princess cheerleaders, but looking at a cruise on HAL, but when I look at the booking info, it just lists open seating! On the Volendam...LA to Sydney..55 days.

Thanks much...

Edited by hillslife

Does HAL still have fixed seating, traditional dining?
Yes!

If the booking shows you only open seating as an option, it's probably because fixed seating is already fully booked.

If fixed seating is still available, it shows up as "Early Dining" and/or "Main Dining" on that page.

When you are assigned "open seating" are your tips taken out of your accont mandatory ? We usually eat on the lido deck and tip the people that serve us there. You get your food quicker and the service is beter than the dining room. (in my opinion)

When you are assigned "open seating" are your tips taken out of your accont mandatory ? We usually eat on the lido deck and tip the people that serve us there. You get your food quicker and the service is beter than the dining room. (in my opinion)

Open seating tips work the same as fixed dining tips.

The lido workers also share in the auto tip/hotel service charge. The HSC is not mandatory, but if you stop it you need to give a reason why. If you remove it, anyone that gets cash tips form you must then deposit it into the same pool that the HSC goes into for redistribution. If you leave the HSC in place and tip cash extra, they may keep it then.

Edited by Boytjie

First time I have ever booked really late, and dismayed that my preference for a table at the late seating could not be met. I gather that I can ask for a change after boarding? Where do I go? (will be on the Eurodam).

Mary

After you board, go to the venue that should be listed in the Daily Explorer where you can request dining changes. It may take a day or two for everything to get settled.

I just returned from a cruise. Two people were assigned to my main fixed seating, from open seating, on the third night.

After you board, go to the venue that should be listed in the Daily Explorer where you can request dining changes. It may take a day or two for everything to get settled.

I just returned from a cruise. Two people were assigned to my main fixed seating, from open seating, on the third night.

Thanks, Ruth. As a solo traveller I really look forward to a regular group for dinner each evening.

Mary

I don't think your not knowing about "dirty" martinis is because of old age. I (guzzle guzzle) love martinis, but, up until a year ago, had never heard the term.

No indeed, it's not because of old age. It's most likely because I've lost too many brain cells from too many martinis....clean ones at that.

Edited by Mijuraad

We have early upper - as we requested - for our upcoming cruise. But if for some reason we miss it (late day in port or whatever) are we free to go to the MDR for as you wish dining, or do we need to stick with room service or the Lido?

Thanks in advance!

Sorry, ignore me - I missed the post on a page or two back about it. :)

It may take a day or two for everything to get settled.
It's possible, though, that nothing can be done. I had this fairly recently (fortunately on a 7-night cruise) when our request simply couldn't be accommodated, and so we had to do open seating every night even though we didn't want to.

• 2 weeks later...

We had as you wish last December, and hated it. They would only allow a same day reservation, and we still had to line up and wait. Different servers each night, so there was no consistency in service, ie: no one knew our preferences by the second night like they do at the traditional seating. One night we were abandoned by our waiter! He never came back to take our coffee/dessert orders! We mentioned it to the maitre'd, but he seemed very stressed already, so we just let it go and went to the buffet for a late dessert. We are going again March 3 2013, and have made sure we have fixed seating!

We had as you wish last December, and hated it. They would only allow a same day reservation, and we still had to line up and wait. Different servers each night, so there was no consistency in service, ie: no one knew our preferences by the second night like they do at the traditional seating. One night we were abandoned by our waiter! He never came back to take our coffee/dessert orders! We mentioned it to the maitre'd, but he seemed very stressed already, so we just let it go and went to the buffet for a late dessert. We are going again March 3 2013, and have made sure we have fixed seating!

What ship was this? I'm sorry you had a bad experience. We've always had the opposite --possible to make reservations several days at a time, separate lines for reservations (no waiting) and we learned to ask for the same waiter if we had good service, so we didn't have different servers each night.

If I were you, I would still book 'Open Dining', forget dining in the MDR, & enjoy a better dining experience in other venues, with far more efficient/friendly/prompt service, such as Canaletto, Lido or PG! :);)

What ship were you on?

Did you mention this on your comment card at the end of the cruise?