As You Wish Dining - Opinions, Comments and Discussions

silvercruiser

Boytjie I didn't mean to refer to people dressed to code as being in "monkey suits". I was referring to us. Here in our section of the world that is what a lot of the guys call tuxes or suits and ties. I can't tell you the times I have heard I want to get home and get out of this "monkey suit" when leaving church, wedding or funeral. Some people just hate to dress up and want to be causal and I just think it's awful that they are looked down on when they are encountered, when like I said we try our best to stay away from the formal happenings but I don't want to stay in my room and don't think I should have to. That's all I am saying and it is hurtful when someone talks down to you when you are just as good as they are. I would never intrude on a formal gathering not properly dressed and I think I made that clear in first post if not, sorry. I just want to do the Alaska cruise HAL offers and don't want to dress formal or be treated like a second class citizen.

I am going on my first HAL cruise and now I am REALLY getting nervous that I'll have a Scarlet letter burned on my forehead ( "S" for Slob !) LOL! I dont mind dressing up but I do it everyday for work, and I want to NOT dress up if I choose on my vacation. I will not be walking around with a tank top & Daisy Dukes in the evening,( on formal nights or any night), and will not eat in the MDR if not dressed properly. But I certainly think it would be acceptable to go anywhere BUT the MDR. And even when I do the Formal nights, I wont be staying formal all night. I just think for those who want to do formal thats great and those that dont, also great. But the ones who choose not to should not be in the MDR out of respect for those who do.

I have been reading this thread and can't seem to find an answer to my question, so at the risk of being :confused: - here goes .....

On checking our booking it looks like we have early set dining - (6ish??) If we have a 'late' excursion or return to the ship after the set time (I note than some ports have quite late departures) can we still eat in the MDR or does it then have to be in the Lido or one of the other options?

Thanks in advance ....

I have been reading this thread and can't seem to find an answer to my question, so at the risk of being :confused: - here goes .....

On checking our booking it looks like we have early set dining - (6ish??) If we have a 'late' excursion or return to the ship after the set time (I note than some ports have quite late departures) can we still eat in the MDR or does it then have to be in the Lido or one of the other options?

Thanks in advance ....

Technically, the MDR "closes" for your "traditional" set dining, 15 minutes after it commences! So, if you are late returning to the ship after a "late" shore excursion, missing your set dining in the MDR, then you may dine in an alternative dining venue, such as the Lido! ;)

We were on the july 3th transatlantic crossing , Rotterdam-NYC , onboard MS Rotterdam and had the open seating. We enjoyed that very much, we met a lot of different people that way. We chose for a table with a different language than our own. We are Dutch end preferred to sit with English speaking people. That way we had dinner with people from the Usa, Belgium,Norway, Canada and Russia.

The other positive aspect is that you never have to rush to get to the MDR. They fill up the table pretty quickly so you never have to wait long before you can order.

Concerning the dress code, I found a rather disappointing to see people in casual clothes on formal nights. When you know that there is a dress code, stick to it , when you don't like it : sail with Carnival :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
Check the FAQ's for Dress Code on the HAL web site (emphasis mine):

Evening dress falls into two distinct categories: Formal or Smart Casual. Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and collared shirts for men and casual dresses, slacks and informal evening wear for women. T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours. On festive Formal evenings, ladies usually wear a suit, cocktail dress or gown and gentlemen wear a jacket and tie, dark suit or tuxedo. There are approximately two formal nights per week.

In order to complement your fellow guests, Holland America Line asks that you observe the suggested dress code throughout the entire evening.

Even though I have cruised on various lines for almost 30 years, I always wondered about this. We do observe the dress codes for formal night, but I have to say that with all the baggage restrictions etc, the idea of taking the "monkey suit" and my formal attire, it does have me wondering how long this tradition will last. I have currently decided to challenge myself and see if I could actually take everything I need in two carry on pieces. If a man can wear the "monkey suit" over again, why not a woman? That way, formal night can be observed and carry on baggage will work.

I am new to the concept of the open dine any time you wish concept. I think that I may actually stick with the simple assigned time in the MDR. We like to get up early so we never have problems with early seating. If the tour gets back late, the Lido is fine. We keep to ourselves with a table of two anyway. We have to deal with the public on a daily basis, so on vacation, we like to stay alone or mix depending upon the mood. I have found that the dining room will always accommodate and create a table for us and any new friends so that we may dine together.

• 3 weeks later...

Just have to say something on this. First let me say that we do observe the dress codes for formal as well as other nights. However, we've seen everything from a tuxedo printed T-shirt and shorts, jeans with tails cowboy boots and hat and BIG belt buckle (I actually like this look and have threatened my wife with this attire on numerous occasions), to formal tuxedos on formal night. The food taste just the same, the atmosphere and crew are still exemplary regardless of what is worn. We enjoy cruising for what we want and not what others want to do. No matter what you want to wear, or for that matter don’t want to wear, we are still going to people watch and enjoy our time aboard. So I say, wear what you want. Maybe we’ll see you on a HAL cruise sometime!

Thanks. We'll be on the Veendam next Feb. so maybe it'll be available there by then. We've gotten used to it on Princess and like it, as we often just want a table for two.

anytime or as you wish dining is available on this cruise i choose it at NO extra cost like the celebrity infinity seatle to ft lauderdale last oct. and it cost more had to pre pay gratuitys and more per day was not available on rccl voyger galveston to barcelona in may that i recall it may have been but i did not choose it.

There will be 5 of us sailing with HAL next July. Will there be a problem getting a table for all of us to sit together if we choose As You Wish Dining?
NO problem at all as everyone on the ship has "As You Wish Dining". Some wish open seating, some wish traditional, fixed seating - while some wish the Lido. That is HAL's generic term for ALL food service on their ships.

If you have open seating, you just need to all show up together at the podium for the appropriate level of the MDR. For fixed seating, you'll need to have your TA(s) link the reservations together and HAL will assign you all to the same table. For any speciality resturant you'll just make reservations for the appropriate number for the date/time wanted. For the Lido, the first one through the line just selects an open table of the right size.

I seem to remember news about HA offering a change in dining preferences, like Princess "Personal Choice" or NCL "Anytime Dining." Is this going to be an option, if so when and on which ships?

I am amazed at the number of days you have cruised. Good for you.

I've read through the last few pages (for most recent info)--but don't see an answer, so please forgive me if this has already been answered....

We've always done traditional dining on HAL and other lines, but for our upcoming holiday sailing of the O-dam, we're going to go the OPEN SEATING route.

I just checked on our HAL account for this reservation, but there doesn't seem to be a way to pre-book times and table size (and connect with another couple for table for 4).:confused:

Is this because it's prior to final payment--or must we wait until we board (on New Year's Eve!) and endure the utter chaos that must result on that first night? (We're 3-star Mariners, if that makes any difference--??)Thanks a million for any input,

Mary-Lou

I've read through the last few pages (for most recent info)--but don't see an answer, so please forgive me if this has already been answered....

We've always done traditional dining on HAL and other lines, but for our upcoming holiday sailing of the O-dam, we're going to go the OPEN SEATING route.

I just checked on our HAL account for this reservation, but there doesn't seem to be a way to pre-book times and table size (and connect with another couple for table for 4).:confused:Is this because it's prior to final payment--or must we wait until we board (on New Year's Eve!) and endure the utter chaos that must result on that first night? (We're 3-star Mariners, if that makes any difference--??)Thanks a million for any input,

Mary-Lou

Sorry, but if you have Open Seating in the diningroom, you will have to wait until you board to make the reservation for your first evening. The only way you can pre-book is if you want to eat in the Pinnacle the first night. It might not be a bad option because I'm guessing it might be a little more festive and less chaotic for the first night.

Sorry, but if you have Open Seating in the diningroom, you will have to wait until you board to make the reservation for your first evening. The only way you can pre-book is if you want to eat in the Pinnacle the first night. It might not be a bad option because I'm guessing it might be a little more festive and less chaotic for the first night.

THANKS A MILLION for your quick response!!

I figured that was the drill--but was hoping online pre-reservation was possible. Oh, well.... ;-)

Excellent recommendation about Pinnacle Grill:

In fact, we actually have the usual first-night AMEX perk of free PG for the first night, but when I tried to reserve a time (last month), it wasn't available--so I'm wondering if they're just not doing PG on NY Eve -OR- it's already booked. :confused: (I should have reserved earlier!)

Appreciatively,

Mary-Lou

Mary-Lou, I'm sure of the telephone number, but you could try calling ship services and ask if you can book the Pinnacle for the first night. I think I have read that the free PG from Amex cannot be booked online and you will have to wait until you board.

THANKS A MILLION for your quick response!!

I figured that was the drill--but was hoping online pre-reservation was possible. Oh, well.... ;-)

Excellent recommendation about Pinnacle Grill:

In fact, we actually have the usual first-night AMEX perk of free PG for the first night, but when I tried to reserve a time (last month), it wasn't available--so I'm wondering if they're just not doing PG on NY Eve -OR- it's already booked. :confused: (I should have reserved earlier!)

Appreciatively,

Mary-Lou

What is the AMEX perk? Is it related to using an AMEX card to book and pay for the cruise?

What is the AMEX perk? Is it related to using an AMEX card to book and pay for the cruise?

Yes: Usually a category upgrade or comparable price deduction, plus OBC + first-night PG--for deposit + final payment using PLATINUM Amex card.

• 2 weeks later...
Another reason for the dress code is pure cold hard cash, some people may feel out of place and rent a tuxedo, or buy clothes on the ship. The PEER pressure factor

Well, I do NOT pack OR rent a tuxedo! ;) On formal nights I dress smart casual, dine in either the Lido or Canaletto and after dinner, walk about the ship in ALL public areas! ;) (And I do NOT feel out of place)! I do NOT concern myself with PEER pressure! ;)

I bought a tux a number of years ago at Burlington coat factory for $99 and I have worn it on the very many cruises i have been on. I leave for Bermuda in 16 days and it still fits. So I guess it will make 2 more nights .

We have been assigned fixed late dining on our Oct 22 Oosterdam cruise to Hawaii, requested by our TA. We have not done this before and are wondering if we will enjoy it. Can we change to anytime dining if we don't like it or are not comfortable with our tablemates? If we meet others that we want to dine with on a particular occasion, can we do that?

We have been assigned fixed late dining on our Oct 22 Oosterdam cruise to Hawaii, requested by our TA. We have not done this before and are wondering if we will enjoy it. Can we change to anytime dining if we don't like it or are not comfortable with our tablemates? If we meet others that we want to dine with on a particular occasion, can we do that?

Requested by your TA? I don't quite understand that statement. The TA should be requesting whatever type dining you want. Did you ask for late/fixed? If you prefer open seating, that can be requested now.

To answer your questions, though---

You can enjoy late/fixed seating if you want to dine with the same people at the same time every day. I find that late/fixed seating gives me time to enjoy my day, then come in and rest a bit before cleaning up and heading out for the evening. I like getting to know my tablemates beyond the superficial level achieved in one night.

Others prefer a different approach.

If you start out in late/fixed, and want to change to open seating, you may request the change. It's possible it won't be granted, based on the numbers of people already in open seating, but usually the request is granted.

If you stay in fixed seating and want to dine with other people some night, then you can go to the Pinnacle, Canaletto, or (on Signature ships), the Tamarind restaurants.

They could join you at your table of others will be absent that night.

Another reason for the dress code is pure cold hard cash, some people may feel out of place and rent a tuxedo, or buy clothes on the ship. The PEER pressure factor

Perhaps you are assuming that I regard the fashion police types as my peers. Sadly, they have not been elevated sufficiently to enjoy that status :)

There will be 5 of us sailing with HAL next July. Will there be a problem getting a table for all of us to sit together if we choose As You Wish Dining?

We just came back from a cruise where there were 5 of us. If we knew the day ahead what time we all wanted to dine we would phone and try to make a reservation-we did that several times and it always worked out. You have to be a bit flexible because several times we dined at 8pm. If you can't get the time you want then you can just show up and they will seat you but it might be 10-15 minute wait. Hope that helps.