To Tux Or Not To Tux

signora

My husband has always worn his tux on our Caribbean cruise formal nights, and he was planning on doing the same on our upcoming Island Princess Alaska cruise but I've read about the more casual atmosphere on Alaska cruises and wonder if he'll really stick out on formal nights? He doesn't even own a dark suit as an alternative: without buying something (which we'd like to avoid) his only other choice is a very nice sport jacket with close-matching pants. What do all you fashion-minded folks think he should do?

My husband has always worn his tux on our Caribbean cruise formal nights, and he was planning on doing the same on our upcoming Island Princess Alaska cruise but I've read about the more casual atmosphere on Alaska cruises and wonder if he'll really stick out on formal nights? He doesn't even own a dark suit as an alternative: without buying something (which we'd like to avoid) his only other choice is a very nice sport jacket with close-matching pants. What do all you fashion-minded folks think he should do?

We did the Island Princess last year to Alaska. DH wore his tux and he was not out of place. There seems to be a mixed bag of "formal attire" these days. I say go with whatever he feels most comfortable with and don't incur any new expense. DH owns his own tux so it's easier for us just to take it. Your husband won't stick out at all. Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks everyone for posting their replies: they were very helpful in our decision for DH to wear the tux and not worry about trying to find something else with an expense of time, money, etc. (plus he hates shopping--it's me who has the shopping gene!) Now we don't have to worry about it--thanks again!

Do the tux, you will fit right in.

That's one great thing about sailing Alaska... if you dress nicely, whether super formal or not- so- quite, you will blend in.

Then again, I'm not one who worries over what other's wear, and figure if they have time to pick me and my DH's clothing apart, they're sailing Alaska for the wrong reason! The Alaskan scenery interests me way more than other people and their fashions. I doubt I'm alone in that interest!!!

We took Celebrity Summit to Alaska last year and I rented a tux through the ship. I'll never do that again. Only about 1/4 to 1/3 of the men had tuxes. The rest had suits or sportcoats. We're going back to Alaska in mid-September on Celebrity Infinity; I'll just take a sportscoat.

Leo

We took Celebrity Summit to Alaska last year and I rented a tux through the ship. I'll never do that again. Only about 1/4 to 1/3 of the men had tuxes. The rest had suits or sportcoats. We're going back to Alaska in mid-September on Celebrity Infinity; I'll just take a sportscoat.

Leo

This is the VERY reason there are no more Alaska cruises in the horizon for us. We are in Alaska every summer at least twice for business, in our Levi's and T-shirts. After I spend 10-15 days flying from fishing cannery to fishing cannery closing out our season, I could use a cruise for the relaxation. I look forward to getting out of Levi's and t-shirts.

DH absolutely refuses to go on another one. He thinks formal night should be FORMAL NIGHT. And if he has to schlepp the tux/suit, so can everyone else. The last Alaska cruise we were on, only about 1/4 of the men wore tux. Maybe another 1/3 had on suits. That left over 1/3 of the men with a mish/mash of sport coats, sport shirts, dress shirts, and yes, even t-shirts. Really ruined formal night for us and he said NO MORE. When you book a traditional, formal night cruise (X), you expect certain things. Another "dumbing down" of the traditional cruise experience.

I'll be one of those dumbing down the experience for everyone else. Although, I'll probably look nicer in my nice dress pants, shirt and tie than half of those men out there in their dated suits or sport coats. Just b/c you dress "by the book", doesn't mean you look good. I find some of the choices of folks who dress "by the book" much more offensive than someone dressed in a dumbed down version of formal wear. Actually, I don't really find it offensive. I really don't care what anyone else does.

I'll be one of those dumbing down the experience for everyone else. Although, I'll probably look nicer in my nice dress pants, shirt and tie than half of those men out there in their dated suits or sport coats. Just b/c you dress "by the book", doesn't mean you look good. I find some of the choices of folks who dress "by the book" much more offensive than someone dressed in a dumbed down version of formal wear. Actually, I don't really find it offensive. I really don't care what anyone else does.

A lot depends on the ship. Some ships are much more formal than others. I book traditional cruises (Cunard, Celebrity, HAL, Seabourn). The cruiseline PROMISES me a traditional experience, which means FORMAL dress for FORMAL night. Why should I not get what I pay for???? Shame on the cruiselines for NOT enforcing their own guidelines (although it has only happened on X and HAL).

A lot depends on the ship. Some ships are much more formal than others. I book traditional cruises (Cunard, Celebrity, HAL, Seabourn). The cruiseline PROMISES me a traditional experience, which means FORMAL dress for FORMAL night. Why should I not get what I pay for???? Shame on the cruiselines for NOT enforcing their own guidelines (although it has only happened on X and HAL).

I sort of see your point. On a cruise ship like the Sapphire that has 6-7 dining rooms, I think the main dining room should be strictly enforced for formal night attire with more leniency in the other rooms.

I look forward to dressing up and looking nice. And Mrs Red Pony is a star when she dresses up for a formal night.

I agree that if a ship has a policy (like formal nights), then they should adhere to the policy, at the very least in the main dining rooms. As long as there is an alternative dining place for those who choose not to adhere to the policy.

My husband picked the ship for our Alaska cruise and I told him, when he asked me my opinion, that if he wished to eat in the dining room on formal night, then he would bring his tuxedo on vacation. The other options would have been to 1) pick a cruise line without formal night or 2) eat some place other than the dining room on formal night.

Since my husband did not like either of those options, the tux goes on vacation, along with my formal outfits:D

You know you "formal night" people get me. When we go on a cruise, we go for the vacation, the relaxing and just to get away with no demands. We like to cruise so we choose that. We respect the rights of other cruisers to have their formal night, enjoy it and do their thing. We expect them to respect us and the way we choose to spend our evening. We don't like the formal dining rooms on regular nights and do not eat there and we certainly do not go on formal nights. Our problem is with the people that think the whole ship should turn formal on those nights and the heck with the people that don't choose to participate. We sailed on the HAL once and that is it. On one of the formal nights we choose to eat on the Lido deck and we went to the movie. We were not around any "formal dining" or bothering the people who chose to go formal for the evening. Leaving the movie we were walking through the ship and a very rude lady behind us made a comment about us not knowing it was "formal night". Needless to say we informed her we would dress the way we wanted and we proceeded on our way. We were in the hall way of the ship. She for one must be a miserable person if we were her main concern, she had no reason to insult us in a crowded hallway. Now if she found us in the dining room in our casual dress she could voice her displeasure to the "powers that be". Why can't everyone just enjoy their curise, go to the things they choose to go to and realize we will pass in the hallways, but if it bothers you that you pass me in the hall and I am casual and you are formal, how shallow are you? I can't imagine never cruising somewhere because of the way others dress on the ship, come on, now if they are are nude, I would agree with you.

Go ahead and have him wear the tux. I actually think Alaska is on the more formal side out of all the cruises I've been on. Not like that matters, but the clothing just seems more formal overall than on all the various warm weather cruises I've been on where most people there are in shorts and t-shirts (or less).

On Holland America, you are asked to follow whatever the evening's dress code is, no matter where you are--not just the dining room. So while the woman might have been rude for saying something to your face, she was correct about the dress code. And you're right, HAL probably wasn't the best cruise line for you on this issue at least.....

You know you "formal night" people get me. When we go on a cruise, we go for the vacation, the relaxing and just to get away with no demands. We like to cruise so we choose that. We respect the rights of other cruisers to have their formal night, enjoy it and do their thing. We expect them to respect us and the way we choose to spend our evening. We don't like the formal dining rooms on regular nights and do not eat there and we certainly do not go on formal nights. Our problem is with the people that think the whole ship should turn formal on those nights and the heck with the people that don't choose to participate.

Celebrity, Cunard, Seabourn-All have a formal dress code for the ENTIRE ship after 6:00PM.

HAL's website states dress code for "the evening", NOT just dinner.

When you book a traditional cruise (HAL, X, Cunard, Seabourn), you signed a contract that you would abide by the rules. The "RULES" include formal dress for the EVENING. So it is you saying to heck with everyone else who is complying with the cruise line's wishes and rules. You make it impossible for the cruise line to provide ME what I PAID for and that is a traditional cruising experience with FORMAL night throughout the ship.

There are many cruise lines-something for everyone. I don't cruise on RCCL, Carnival, Princess, NCL, Regent or Oceania due to the fact that formal nights are not very formal, dress code is not enforced or formal night is optional. I pick traditional cruises. I really would like to get what I PAID FOR.

Then why does HAL still serve food on the Lido deck during the dinner hour? I figure if it is offered then it is ok to use it. I can't help it if I can't find a way to get there without going through the ship. I wouldn't offend anyone for anything but I don't want to be confined to my room. We usually sit out on the decks and enjoy the peace and quite. That's why I don't cruise the "higher class ships", didn't realize HAL was so high class when we booked it, and I don't need to tell you we were not the only people that didn't dress formally for the evening and go to the dining room. I just have no use for rude people, there is no need for that.

Maybe you can help me, we are planning an Alaska cruise, but we do not have any desire to do the formal thing so which ships sailing to Alaska would not going formal be least frowned upon?

Maybe you can help me, we are planning an Alaska cruise, but we do not have any desire to do the formal thing so which ships sailing to Alaska would not going formal be least frowned upon?

NCL has formal optional. Carnival and RCCL have formal nights, but from what I read, formal isn't very formal-including very casual clothing in the dining rooms. I haven't been on a Carnival ship since the early 70's and I have never been on a RCCL ship.

I only book cruises for three reasons-get away from phones, faxes, and emails, see some out of the way place I would probably never fly to, and TO GET REALLY DRESSED UP. Hence, the reason I pick the cruise lines I do.

Then why does HAL still serve food on the Lido deck during the dinner hour? I figure if it is offered then it is ok to use it. I can't help it if I can't find a way to get there without going through the ship. I wouldn't offend anyone for anything but I don't want to be confined to my room. We usually sit out on the decks and enjoy the peace and quite. That's why I don't cruise the "higher class ships", didn't realize HAL was so high class when we booked it, and I don't need to tell you we were not the only people that didn't dress formally for the evening and go to the dining room. I just have no use for rude people, there is no need for that.

I can relate to this...

All the cruiselines I've sailed with for Alaska ~ Carnival, Princess, Celebrity ~ offer less formal dining on Lido even on formal nights. If you don't dress formal for the evening, you still must be out in 'public' on the ship just to get to Lido, so expectations that everyone will be dressed formally all evening is simply not realistic. Evenings, we often enjoy relaxing on deck and watching the scenery... something that is not comfortable to do while wearing heels and a lightweight wrap.

I am not out to ruin someone elses vacation, so...

If we're dining in the dining room, we dress well, though my DH refuses a tuxedo. We are simple farm folks, and no amount of putting on airs will change that, nor do we want to try. If we go to the show prior/post meal, we stay dressed well. If we decide to scenery watch (the reason we sail Alaska to begin with), we want to enjoy the scenery wearing warm clothing, formal night or not.

I understand the point of folks looking nice on formal night, but ask also that others understand that many of us are there for different reasons. Some to dress up, some to see the scenery. I will stay out of the dining room and show if I don't dress to the nines, but I won't stay hidden in my room when scenic viewing is to be had on the deck, just because it's formal night.

There is give and take... and I think that's expected on all the mass cruiselines sailing Alaska. As for some of the specialty lines, that's a whole different ballgame...

Do you think my 15 year old teenage son will need a jacket on formal night? Could he get away with a button up shirt and a tie on Dawn Princess? I'd rather not buy him a coat he'll never wear again.

Archived