Where does HAL tender in Bay of Islands?

Anyone know where the tendering for the Statendam will be in Bay of Islands?

Im pretty sure youll find it will anchor " in the bay" off from russell...usally at Tapeka Point. Its an easy tender distance to Paihia/Waitangi and Russell. From memory modern ships dont usually berth at Opua because of the depth of the inlet. Waitangi to Paihia wharf could be walked in about 12 minutes if need be.....

• 4 months later...

We spent a couple of days in Russell a few years ago. It is a sleepy town, absolutely delightful but I do wonder about how it would cope with such a huge influx of visitors for the day. If it were me, I would book a ship's excursion unless you just wanted to potter around the local area as I don't think there would be enough private people offering tours.

Jennie

Jennie is spot on.

If you want to do a tour ,book the ships tour.

The tendering does restrict your planning of private tours ,( time wise)

and the ship books out some of the tours for the whole day anyway.

Many of the tours alter there times to fit in with the ships schedule.

You can still have a lovely day wandering around.

The shuttle will take you to Paihia,shops,cafes and the locals usually set up a craft market on the green.From there you can take the local ferry over to Russell,very short trip,wander around then come back and its a delightful walk along the beachfront from Paihia to Waitangi and your tender back to the ship .Also at Waitangi are the Treaty Grounds that are well worth a visit and if you wander up to to golf course you can get wonderful views of the Bay and your ship at anchor.

Here's Oriana at Bay of Islands earlier this year........

2002183920775843032_rs.jpg

Dave,

I will be interested in hearing your review when you return from your Regent cruise to L.A. Had a friend who did Alaska on a Regent ship earlier this year and wasn't overly impressed. She was comparing it to Crystal.

We are doing a 35 day cruise on Oceania's Nautica which we are very much looking forward to. I have only heard good reports about Oceania.

You have great two BtoB cruises on the Rotterdam early next year. When do you arrive into Athens? We are there on the 13th May. That is when our cruise finishes on the Nautica. We are going to come home via Dubai which will be a new experience and an exciting one I hope.

Jennie

WE are trying to decide if we should book a HAL tour since this is a tendor port or if we should risk waiting to try to do something on our own

Any advise ?

Let me find the link for tours in Bay of Islands. Such a variety - Coach trips to Kerikeri/scenic Russell/Cape Reinga/Bay cruises/Kayaking.....all give individual websites and email addresses. Geared for tourists. Cruise Ships have been visiting for 20 years.

http://www.bay-of-islands.nz.com/sightseeing-attractions.aspx

Let me find the link for tours in Bay of Islands. Such a variety - Coach trips to Kerikeri/scenic Russell/Cape Reinga/Bay cruises/Kayaking.....all give individual websites and email addresses. Geared for tourists. Cruise Ships have been visiting for 20 years.

http://www.bay-of-islands.nz.com/sightseeing-attractions.aspx

Click away on this one for all the above tours/activities:

http://www.bay-of-islands.co.nz/activities.htm

Archived