Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Finished printing some pictures how did I leave cooler out....off to Target tomorow for antoher round of photos.

Very cool, I just got finished with my last painting. Thats where I have been this past week. I have been in allot of pain lately with the legs since the weather is starting to switch into fall. So one of the things I enjoy doing in spurts is painting. What I need is the motivation to do the paintings. A buddy of mine is still in a real bad way since his wife had a serious motorcycle accident. She is no longer in the ICU; but still in the hospital. They live in Ohio and I am unsure if I will make it to some of the benefits although I wanted to help. Below are three examples of recent paintings I did for them.

291731_10150290820706022_508476021_8276975_1367781124_n.jpg

I love this painting, its something different for me.

316619_10150288246976022_508476021_8265163_2058729106_n.jpg

This was my first painting for them; and this fish lives in my 100gal saltwater tank.

307223_10150288246956022_508476021_8265162_157824108_n.jpg

My least favorite since I am taking artistic liberty by adding really vibrant colors to this dinosaur. According to all the new research the male dinosaurs had huge colorful displays attracting females.

Dobiemom: You are given me a run for the prize!

Ms. Breny is cruisin' with Sunshine and Roz,

The reason is just coz',

Ms. Breny will be decked out in her collar's,

Mrs. Roz and Mrs. Sunshine will just holler!

The ship will never be the same,

It's now a black lab, and 2 blonde's game!

Step aside or you will be trampled,

The ladies are out to get their samples.

Cruising is in their blood,

Bellying up to the bar for them suds,

To 3 special ladies, have a blast,

I can't think of a better cast!

OK, I can start my coundown. 24 hours and I'll be boarding that plane for LA! 52 hours until Roz and Brenda pick me up!

Packing seems to be just about done. Dates with dogs this morning. Mackey get's to help me get those last minute things. Cooler and I are just going for a nice walk with her teamates and then a picnic lunch. Of course with other dogs along, she is really going to try to pull the heck out of me. Her trainer will be along, so she's going to see what I am doing, what Cooler is doing, and what me might try next.

Dobiemom: You are given me a run for the prize!

Ms. Breny is cruisin' with Sunshine and Roz,

The reason is just coz',

Ms. Breny will be decked out in her collar's,

Mrs. Roz and Mrs. Sunshine will just holler!

The ship will never be the same,

It's now a black lab, and 2 blonde's game!

Step aside or you will be trampled,

The ladies are out to get their samples.

Cruising is in their blood,

Bellying up to the bar for them suds,

To 3 special ladies, have a blast,

I can't think of a better cast!

Nancy is definitely into this.....very nice!!!!

Very cool, I just got finished with my last painting. Thats where I have been this past week. I have been in allot of pain lately with the legs since the weather is starting to switch into fall. So one of the things I enjoy doing in spurts is painting. What I need is the motivation to do the paintings. A buddy of mine is still in a real bad way since his wife had a serious motorcycle accident. She is no longer in the ICU; but still in the hospital. They live in Ohio and I am unsure if I will make it to some of the benefits although I wanted to help. Below are three examples of recent paintings I did for them.

291731_10150290820706022_508476021_8276975_1367781124_n.jpg

I love this painting, its something different for me.

316619_10150288246976022_508476021_8265163_2058729106_n.jpg

This was my first painting for them; and this fish lives in my 100gal saltwater tank.

307223_10150288246956022_508476021_8265162_157824108_n.jpg

My least favorite since I am taking artistic liberty by adding really vibrant colors to this dinosaur. According to all the new research the male dinosaurs had huge colorful displays attracting females.

What a great hobby for you....very creative! I hope your friend continues to heal.

Have yall heard about this? If this is true there is a special place in he11 for those involved...

http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/local_news/investigations/valley-woman-denied-service-dog-company-keeps-her-20k?hpt=us_bn7

It's not a good story.....However, it may be more complicated than we know.

The person who first had Brenda [she was in a wheelchair] would consistently run over Brenda's paws and bump into her legs [brenda has the scars to show for it], until finally CCI had to say "I'm sorry, you just can't handle a Service Dog." I'm sure that folks who would see this scenario from the outside and would think, "poor lady how can they can say no to her!" My heart certainly goes out the woman who first had Brenda......but, I'm so glad that CCI used the good judgement they did and took Brenda away from her!

Canine Companions for Independence used to charge $100 [9 years ago] for the materials that they sent you home with, when you graduated. I don't think they even do that anymore.

It takes thousands and thousands of dollars to breed/raise and train our dogs. When I graudated with Brenda I was told that she was worth about $50,000 dollars [and, that was 9 years ago]. Can you imagine her value today? [Of course she's priceless to me.]

This woman could obviously use the assistance of a Canine Partner but she may not be able to direct and safely take care of one. We truly don't know the entire story.......The dogs safety and maintenance is an integral part of living with a Service Dog.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Have yall heard about this? If this is true there is a special place in he11 for those involved...

http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/local_news/investigations/valley-woman-denied-service-dog-company-keeps-her-20k?hpt=us_bn7

Like Roz said, we really don't know the whole story. But 20,000??? Wow thats alot of money to come up with up front. I know the place we got our first service dog, asks people to raise 9,500 but not up front, they have a year to do it after you get the dog. Ok I watched the video and read the story. To me it doesn't look like she is able to handle a dog herself. I think a skilled companion dog where a facilitator handles the dog would be better for her. That place taking all that money is a shame!! Now she is looking at a place that trains your own dog to be a service dog. Hmmmm skeptical about that, but just my opinion, an already trained dog seems like it would be better for her. Training your own dog is hard! Hasn't she heard about CCI??? Comeon Nancy, haven't you told everyone in Arizona how awesome CCI dogs are?? hehehe

Edited by rangeley

It's not a good story.....However, it may be more complicated than we know.

The person who first had Brenda [she was in a wheelchair] would consistently run over Brenda's paws and bump into her legs [brenda has the scars to show for it], until finally CCI had to say "I'm sorry, you just can't handle a Service Dog." I'm sure that folks who would see this scenario from the outside and would think, "poor lady how can they can say no to her!" My heart certainly goes out the woman who first had Brenda......but, I'm so glad that CCI used the good judgement they did and took Brenda away from her!

Canine Companions for Independence used to charge $100 [9 years ago] for the materials that they sent you home with, when you graduated. I don't think they even do that anymore.

It takes thousands and thousands of dollars to breed/raise and train our dogs. When I graudated with Brenda I was told that she was worth about $50,000 dollars [and, that was 9 years ago]. Can you imagine her value today? [Of course she's priceless to me.]

This woman could obviously use the assistance of a Canine Partner but she may not be able to direct and safely take care of one. We truly don't know the entire story.......The dogs safety and maintenance is an integral part of living with a Service Dog.

They told us Wex costs about 45,000 from start to finish.

OK, I can start my coundown. 24 hours and I'll be boarding that plane for LA! 52 hours until Roz and Brenda pick me up!

Packing seems to be just about done. Dates with dogs this morning. Mackey get's to help me get those last minute things. Cooler and I are just going for a nice walk with her teamates and then a picnic lunch. Of course with other dogs along, she is really going to try to pull the heck out of me. Her trainer will be along, so she's going to see what I am doing, what Cooler is doing, and what me might try next.

Sunshine, I'm not sure when you are leaving, so I just wanted to have a safe trip and give Roz and Brenny a big hug from me!:D

They told us Wex costs about 45,000 from start to finish.

What makes me smile the very most are the generous and wonderful people who keep CCI going, they are such giving and amazing people.

I was walking Brenda into work with me and a woman was literally chasing me down to read Brenda's vest [CCI's logo's are on both sides of her blue vest, for those who don't know.] She said she had been donating to CCI for a long time and is always so excited when she sees an actual dog, out in the world, working. And, she commented on how well behaved Brenny was!!!!! She also mentioned that she's going to "up" her donation.

We are all such steward's of the CCI good name.

What makes me smile the very most are the generous and wonderful people who keep CCI going, they are such giving and amazing people.

I was walking Brenda into work with me and a woman was literally chasing me down to read Brenda's vest [CCI's logo's are on both sides of her blue vest, for those who don't know.] She said she had been donating to CCI for a long time and is always so excited when she sees an actual dog, out in the world, working. And, she commented on how well behaved Brenny was!!!!! She also mentioned that she's going to "up" her donation.

We are all such steward's of the CCI good name.[/quot

Over the weekend we volunteered to sit at a booth for our "Town Day". It was the disability committee or something booth. But a woman said the same thing, she had been giving to CCI and she was finally meeting one of their dogs! Wow small world.

Sunshine, maybe when we're together you can help me with this [personally, I think it's so imprinted in Brenda that it will NEVER change.]

When I first met Brenda she was a "leash tugging" dog and still is. If she see's another dog or a human coming at her, she thinks she has to personally greet them, and sometimes will pull me off my feet. CCI could not train this out of her.....and would give me all kinds of suggestions and I would try them all, nothing worked. But, she's so amazing at everything else, they let her graduate. They felt I could deal with it. I walk her in a circle and then re-approach the person. Most times I don't have time to do this.

You'll see it. Any hints or ideas....I'm open! Brenda's so perfect in every other way, I don't mind this one quirk so much!

Again, safe travels and I'll see you on Saturday morning at 10:30.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Can anyone explain all these sites to book travel? I have been going through all of the looking for a cheaper flight to Florida, and all the prices are exactly the same as the Jet site. Why would you go through a strange site when you can book directly with the airline at the same price? I'm confused. :confused:

Two weekends ago we did a garage sale with puppy raiser friends of ours and raised $135. Last weekend we did a street fair and raised $250 and have two potential puppy raisers and a couple of people who may apply for dogs. Our puppy raiser friends are hosting a jewelry demonstration this weekend with the proceeds going to CCI.

(wife & daughter going...not me)

We have a local awareness expo scheduled sometime in October and also a fundraiser/awareness day at a PETCO in CT in October. So we are keeping busy and getting the word out that not all dogs with vests on are "seeing eye dogs".

We are all such steward's of the CCI good name.[/quot

Over the weekend we volunteered to sit at a booth for our "Town Day". It was the disability committee or something booth. But a woman said the same thing, she had been giving to CCI and she was finally meeting one of their dogs! Wow small world.

Love it! I'm so glad I found them! I donate money every month....automatic out of my checkbook. And, will continue to do so as long as I live. I can't thank them enough!!!!!!

Two weekends ago we did a garage sale with puppy raiser friends of ours and raised $135. Last weekend we did a street fair and raised $250 and have two potential puppy raisers and a couple of people who may apply for dogs. Our puppy raiser friends are hosting a jewelry demonstration this weekend with the proceeds going to CCI.

(wife & daughter going...not me)

We have a local awareness expo scheduled sometime in October and also a fundraiser/awareness day at a PETCO in CT in October. So we are keeping busy and getting the word out that not all dogs with vests on are "seeing eye dogs".

I don't care if you tell your wife.......I love you more now..than yesterday! You are the reason why this organization is so successful, it's because of folks who, not only walk with these dogs but who so appreciate them that they devote their free-time to them. I'm mad about you!!!!!

On a cruise note...dental emergency for me this morning. When I explained about my trip tomorow, my dentist just said come right in. So one hour later she's fixing my front tooth....Thank goodness I wasn't hunting up a dentist out of state. I was out with Mackey when it happened, so I cut his outing short and had to cancel out on Cooler. :(

I did give her a kiss and milk bone, but I am sure she was giving me the stink eye when I left without her.

Can anyone explain all these sites to book travel? I have been going through all of the looking for a cheaper flight to Florida, and all the prices are exactly the same as the Jet site. Why would you go through a strange site when you can book directly with the airline at the same price? I'm confused. :confused:

I wish I could help you. I feel the same way!

And on the story about the service dog. It was heartbreaking, but many people just can't handle the dogs. I'm not in favor of groups that make you raisse your own money. I like the way CCI and CA do it. Non-Profit groups that provide the dog at no charge. I think 20,000$ is the estimated cost for a CA dog. Wonder what the difference is... I will say that 5 days in not long enough at all. CA has recepients up for two weeks of "training camp". I don't like the word boot camp at all in connecition with dogs.

Edited by sunshine426

I don't care if you tell your wife.......I love you more now..than yesterday! You are the reason why this organization is so successful, it's because of folks who, not only walk with these dogs but who so appreciate them that they devote their free-time to them. I'm mad about you!!!!!

It beats sitting home watching TV and drinking beer.

Wait...maybe the watching TV part. :D