Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Should the person be upset with me for not going into detail and, really, do I have to? Or, should the public be happy with the answer given?

Sometimes I'm just too tired to go into detail but I totally get the curiosity factor. If I'm not blind and I'm not in a wheelchair, why do I have a dog?

No, you certainly don't have to go into detail! "Can you show me how he assists you?" What?...Right here in the grocery store, we'll set up a little demo?? I feel lucky to have avoided the passive-aggressive weirdos or dog-haters so far.

There definitely is a curiosity factor. Since deafness is an invisible disability, I get "Is he in training?" a lot.

So hard to get away with any brief answer to the NICE people. It leads to, "Can I pet him?" Or, "I know I'm probably not supposed to ask, am I? but is it OK if my daughter pets her?...I love Labs...(and the clincher which I got this week), " My Lab died recently." And that's before you get to the cereal aisle and the next person approaches.

I've gotten used to giving my little smiley speech in the grocery store, and really appreciated a woman the other day who said, "Your dog s very well-behaved." (Because Raylene still has her moments.)

Where I have a problem with patience is in restaurants when I finally have her settled and just want to order or quietly enjoy my food while it's still hot.

I had to get permission on this from CCI.........But when someone is just being over-the-top annoying and won't stop asking questions and will not allow me to proceed, my answer is: "He's a bomb sniffing dog [this works great for Horton since he insists on sniffing everything and everyone within distance of his nose!] Sometimes I say he's a drug sniffing dog [you should see them back-up on that one!] ;)

It all depends on the situation. A CCI trainer told me to say whatever works for me at the moment. I like to be an advocate for CCI and very possibly help someone who could use a dog like Horton but most of the time they really only want a quick response and an easy answer.

Sometimes I don't want the public to know my frailties, they don't need to know what I can and can not do.......you know what I'm saying?

I weigh the situation and treat every "ask" differently.

I had to get permission on this from CCI.........But when someone is just being over-the-top annoying and won't stop asking questions and will not allow me to proceed, my answer is: "He's a bomb sniffing dog [this works great for Horton since he insists on sniffing everything and everyone within distance of his nose!] Sometimes I say he's a drug sniffing dog [you should see them back-up on that one!] ;)

It all depends on the situation. A CCI trainer told me to say whatever works for me at the moment. I like to be an advocate for CCI and very possibly help someone who could use a dog like Horton but most of the time they really only want a quick response and an easy answer.

Sometimes I don't want the public to know my frailties, they don't need to know what I can and can not do.......you know what I'm saying?

Yup, that's what I would say! ;):D

Roz, we all know it is no ones business what Mr. Horty does for you. You might also try "I am one tall, Big blonde haired, crazy woman and he takes after me!" Then show them your teeth! Sorry I am delusional as of late...........:D

You, one big beautiful, weird woman......Love you ♥

So now you have to teach Horton that with a slight tug on the leash or a little bump with your leg he sits. Then you tell people he is trained to sit when there are drugs around. :eek:

So now you have to teach Horton that with a slight tug on the leash or a little bump with your leg he sits. Then you tell people he is trained to sit when there are drugs around. :eek:

That could be very interesting. :eek:

You know how when you're going on a cruise and you all get in an elevator with your carry on luggage......well, it never fails Horton just has to start sniffing everyone's luggage. I do correct him and tell folks that he was initially trained as a "drug sniffer", this does get some unique responses [anything to cover for my dogs bad habits!]

He does the same thing in the airport.....I was warned by the trainers that he does have this habit of sniffing EVERYTHING! If it weren't for the fact that he's a genius at his REAL job, he probably should have had a career change and been turned into drug and bomb sniffing!

I'm loving this drug-sniffing gameplan.

Raylene has quite the sniffing habit (SO relieved to learn Horton also has this minor quirk)... And she was trained to drop into a fast sit if I raise my arm at the elbow, palm facing myself (or even if I merely curl my hand and fingers toward myself sometimes if she think's there's a treat to be had). This could be very subtle.

I am all for creative ways of covering bad habits. Thanks DKD and Auntie Roz! and have a great weekend.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

Oh, I think I didn't mention the stray pack of dogs we came across in downtown Grand Turk! That was a little scary, but thankfully all was okay.

You never have to tell the curious public anything about your dog or yourself/your disability if you don't want to, especially if you don't have the time or energy or they are trying to interrupt your conversation with someone or interrupt something you are doing. (I once was very obviously in the middle of a conversation with a friend - I was the one talking at the time - and some lady came up to me asking about my service dog and she left in a huff when I didn't stop my conversation to answer her! Unbelievable!) It is definitely rude for someone to ask what your disability is, just like you would never ask for their health history, but some people actually think it is their business if you use a service dog in public!

I used to direct people to my service dog's Web site if they wanted more info., but I haven't passed out those business cards in years. Maybe I will do that again with my next dog - and link my business site to the service dog site to get more business, LOL!!!

Hello everyone!

Seems like forever since I've been here. Hope everyone is doing well and the fur babies too. Not that I don't think of you,life has been so busy. Having this one year old puppy has sure kept me busy. I forgot how much time they take. When we go back to Barefoot Bay, I want to put pepper in training class, she is so active, I need help with a few things. She is a sweet dog but doesn't come when you call. She also eats way to fast that I put her dry food in a cupcake pan, so she doesn't ear so fast. And she likes the last word. She loves to run, so we do that every day and I have to make sure I stay out of her way, sometimes she gets too close and will run into me and that's not good for this old lady.😱

I do have a couple of cruises to look forward too. One in December and one in January. I wanted Feb. but that didn't work Wexey.💕💕💕

Enjoy your weekend everyone

I'm loving this drug-sniffing gameplan.

Raylene has quite the sniffing habit (SO relieved to learn Horton also has this minor quirk)... And she was trained to drop into a fast sit if I raise my arm at the elbow, palm facing myself (or even if I merely curl my hand and fingers toward myself sometimes if she think's there's a treat to be had). This could be very subtle.

I am all for creative ways of covering bad habits. Thanks DKD and Auntie Roz! and have a great weekend.

Raylene and Horty would make a great couple. Horton is becoming so more responsive as it's only the two of us at home. I'm working on him sitting, laying, barking and staying with just a subtle hand command....no words!

It's actually fun to work with such brilliant dogs isn't it?

Oh, I think I didn't mention the stray pack of dogs we came across in downtown Grand Turk! That was a little scary, but thankfully all was okay.

You never have to tell the curious public anything about your dog or yourself/your disability if you don't want to, especially if you don't have the time or energy or they are trying to interrupt your conversation with someone or interrupt something you are doing. (I once was very obviously in the middle of a conversation with a friend - I was the one talking at the time - and some lady came up to me asking about my service dog and she left in a huff when I didn't stop my conversation to answer her! Unbelievable!) It is definitely rude for someone to ask what your disability is, just like you would never ask for their health history, but some people actually think it is their business if you use a service dog in public!

I used to direct people to my service dog's Web site if they wanted more info., but I haven't passed out those business cards in years. Maybe I will do that again with my next dog - and link my business site to the service dog site to get more business, LOL!!!

We have to be very creative we Service Dog handlers! ;)

Hello everyone!

Seems like forever since I've been here. Hope everyone is doing well and the fur babies too. Not that I don't think of you,life has been so busy. Having this one year old puppy has sure kept me busy. I forgot how much time they take. When we go back to Barefoot Bay, I want to put pepper in training class, she is so active, I need help with a few things. She is a sweet dog but doesn't come when you call. She also eats way to fast that I put her dry food in a cupcake pan, so she doesn't ear so fast. And she likes the last word. She loves to run, so we do that every day and I have to make sure I stay out of her way, sometimes she gets too close and will run into me and that's not good for this old lady.

I do have a couple of cruises to look forward too. One in December and one in January. I wanted Feb. but that didn't work Wexey.

Enjoy your weekend everyone

She lives, she lives! It's so good to hear from you and I'm so glad that all is well!

Pepper is doing exactly what a healthy one year old is supposed to be doing! She's going to keep you young and on your toes! Enjoy her spunkiness, it's fun to watch.....just remember to duck, when need be!!!! :p

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Thanks Roz, I was hoping for a little calmer pup. LOL:eek:

Trudy, I'm a firm believer in fate. You and Pepper were put together for a reason. She'll become more and more the dog for you.

Just look how long it took Horty to get me. And, in the beginning Brenda was a bundle of fur and furious nerves. She couldn't calm down for the life of her! She was always lunging at every body and every dog. Such a handful......then suddenly on her 4th birthday she was so different. She was calmer and more relaxed around other dogs and less of a nervous Nelly! I was so grateful for the change because she was frustrating the heck out of me! Every time we'd go to a CCI Workshop it was the same issues and the trainers would ask me how she's doing. I was always embarrassed to go but I knew we needed their help!

It took a lot of time, patience and love for her to calm down [almost 2 years] and it seemed like almost the same amount of time for Horton. Maybe it's more about my comfort zone than theirs, I don't know but give it time, Pepper will get you and you him and then you'll find more joy with each other!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Trudy, I'm a firm believer in fate. You and Pepper were put together for a reason. She'll become more and more the dog for you.

Just look how long it took Horty to get me. And, in the beginning Brenda was a bundle of fur and furious nerves. She couldn't calm down for the life of her! She was always lunging at every body and every dog. Such a handful......then suddenly on her 4th birthday she was so different. She was calmer and more relaxed around other dogs and less of a nervous Nelly! I was so grateful for the change because she was frustrating the heck out of me! Every time we'd go to a CCI Workshop it was the same issues and the trainers would ask me how she's doing. I was always embarrassed to go but I knew we needed their help!

It took a lot of time, patience and love for her to calm down [almost 2 years] and it seemed like almost the same amount of time for Horton. Maybe it's more about my comfort zone than theirs, I don't know but give it time, Pepper will get you and you him and then you'll find more joy with each other!

Roz, you have made my day...

Raylene is GREAT with her sound alert work at home and out, but...her behavior is much like the young Brenda you describe. It is SO encouraging to know that she's likely to calm down with time, patience and love.

Patience-Praise-Practice is what her Hearing Dog trainers use as a mantra, and I remind myself to be patient. I also remember this is our "training year" for both of us to learn, Working with our local obedience trainer is a big help.

You have encouraged me so much. I can't thank you enough.

Roz, you have made my day...

Raylene is GREAT with her sound alert work at home and out, but...her behavior is much like the young Brenda you describe. It is SO encouraging to know that she's likely to calm down with time, patience and love.

Patience-Praise-Practice is what her Hearing Dog trainers use as a mantra, and I remind myself to be patient. I also remember this is our "training year" for both of us to learn, Working with our local obedience trainer is a big help.

You have encouraged me so much. I can't thank you enough.

Chris, you are so welcome! The day I said goodbye to my beautiful girl, Brenny, I reminded her of all the ups and downs that we shared. I reminded her of what a "goofball" she was when she first came into my life, how I didn't want her because she embarrassed me so much and all the time. Until the day that we "clicked", the day that I just looked at her and she came over to me with her head bowed down, as if to say, "I'm so sorry, let's start over!" The day that I knew she was COMPLETELY MY PARTNER, MY LIFE, MY GOALS, MY TOMORROWS. I love and adore your memory and the memories that we built together, Brenda Elizabeth . Thank you, thank you for everything~ ♥

You, too, will feel this way about Raylene, I promise!

My wife took Davis to our local Veterans Day Parade today. There were alot of people and marching bands. She said he could care less about the bands. He was more interested in a dog across the street that was freaking out over the noise. That's one more check in the

"good box".

Davis, you little smarty! You're a very brave boy. You're going to make someone so happy and very brave themselves!

My wife took Davis to our local Veterans Day Parade today. There were alot of people and marching bands. She said he could care less about the bands. He was more interested in a dog across the street that was freaking out over the noise. That's one more check in the

"good box".

Awesome! How old is he now? Did the pet owner finally take their dog away from the noise?