Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Good luck at the eye doctor to everyone who's going.

Horton is at the groomer right now, it seems to be the only cure for his molting that second coat of fur!

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

P.S. Fairbourne, I hope that you're just busy with Bonnie and all your pups, and that all is well on your side of the pond. I'm thinking about you ♥

Hello everyone!

Sorry I've not been in touch but we are on our cruise and we are on your side of the pond! LOL! The Internet has been spotty so I'm just catching up and reading all the news.

Welcome to our new folk and the beautiful photos everyone has posted.

Bonnie is doing well with her Aunty Lynn - she's been busy digging, I mean gardening and Aunty Lynn could now have a mini golf course on her lawn with all the holes in it! She's also doing very well with her training and is now doing free run recall and coming back without being distracted on the way and giving me the "yeah, yeah I hear you, I'll just be in a minute after I've finished chasing this leaf"! We had to find her trigger to come back as she's not very motivated by food - we first tried chicken and she spat that out with a look of disgust! What dog doesn't like chicken, but, of course, she'd never had human food. So fast forward trying all sorts of different food and it turns out sardines are her trigger! Yuck! But it works and Aunty Lynn tells me she will do anything for a teeny bit of sardine!

Today we are in Cozumel, Mexico and enjoying a beautiful sunny day. Making the most of it as we had snow at home only last week!

More to come when we get home.

Hello everyone!

Sorry I've not been in touch but we are on our cruise and we are on your side of the pond! LOL! The Internet has been spotty so I'm just catching up and reading all the news.

Bonnie is doing well with her Aunty Lynn - she's been busy digging, I mean gardening and Aunty Lynn could now have a mini golf course on her lawn with all the holes in it! She's also doing very well with her training and is now doing free run recall and coming back without being distracted on the way and giving me the "yeah, yeah I hear you, I'll just be in a minute after I've finished chasing this leaf"! We had to find her trigger to come back as she's not very motivated by food - we first tried chicken and she spat that out with a look of disgust! What dog doesn't like chicken, but, of course, she'd never had human food. So fast forward trying all sorts of different food and it turns out sardines are her trigger! Yuck! But it works and Aunty Lynn tells me she will do anything for a teeny bit of sardine!

Today we are in Cozumel, Mexico and enjoying a beautiful sunny day. Making the most of it as we had snow at home only last week!

Sounds like you're all having fun! Bucky just discovered the joys of digging, so I'm trying to stay on top of interrupting him when he starts.

In preparation for our upcoming training classes, I ordered a bag of Nature's Logic Beef Lung off amazon.com. When I phoned Nature's Logic to ask about their food quality, they said the beef lung is so popular, they can't keep it in stock at their home office. I figure we'll give it a try. Bucky likes his kibble, but not more than he likes chasing distractions.

Hello everyone!

Sardines?????? Are you sure you're not PuppyRaising a dolphin or whale? What the heck!

Have a super, duper cruise and tell us all about it when you come home.......I wish I lived in New York so I could visit with you.

Hello everyone!

What dog isn't motivated by food? Wow!

Glad you are having a great cruise. Enjoy and may the weather gods shine upon you!

What dog isn't motivated by food? Wow!

Glad you are having a great cruise. Enjoy and may the weather gods shine upon you!

Our second puppy in training (Davis) was not food or toy motivated.

He had a mind of his own and was more Alfa than submissive. That's why he is now someones pet.

Just got back from our eye exam. Both Darian and Bucky are fine! Darian's eyes are showing some signs of age, but that's no surprise, since he's 9.

As for Bucky... Well, here he is, holding Darian's tail.

CiCCVvQVEAAfQDb.jpg

He was 13.9 pounds last Monday, 8 days ago. Today, he's 19.6! Makes me glad I didn't buy him a vest yet -- just a service dog in training bandanna.

Hello everyone!

Have a fabulous time Fairbourne!

Sardines of all the things. Henri would do anything for a piece of her kibble.

Dianne

Have a fabulous time Fairbourne!

Sardines of all the things. Henri would do anything for a piece of her kibble.

Dianne

All I have to do is rattle the food canister and Horton looks like "road-runner" heading for the chance to get a piece of kibble!!!

another amazing story about the bond between a Service Dog and Owner...

https://blog.cci.org/2016/05/08/a-letter-from-a-mom/?msource=0516ENEWS&tr=y&auid=16702171

get the hankies out...

You got it. This was a two Kleenexer, for sure.

I agree that there's a higher power that ensures a perfect match like this one when a service dog meets his/her companion.

https://blog.cci.org/2016/05/08/a-letter-from-a-mom/?msource=0516ENEWS&tr=y&auid=16702171

get the hankies out...

Now maybe more people will understand how we can raise a puppy for 16 to 18 months and give it back. And get another one as soon as we can. And maybe someone reading this will decide to become a puppy raiser!!

Now maybe more people will understand how we can raise a puppy for 16 to 18 months and give it back. And get another one as soon as we can. And maybe someone reading this will decide to become a puppy raiser!!

You certainly know ALL of this in so many different ways.

get the hankies out...

Oh myyy! My computer screen's gone all wavy... such a powerful story. Just incredible that Jacob needed no pain or anxiety meds for the first time in 15 surgeries!! I think Sweet Baby Ray is getting a little extra kibble in her bowl tonight.

Thanks for posting it, Keith.

get the hankies out...

What a great article. You cannot fully understand what these dogs do until you see them in action.

When I received my service dog there were other dogs being matched to several children - I have to admit I was pretty misty eyed seeing those kids receive their dog.

Dianne

Sardines?????? Are you sure you're not PuppyRaising a dolphin or whale? What the heck!

Have a super, duper cruise and tell us all about it when you come home.......I wish I lived in New York so I could visit with you.

Well here we are in the City that never sleeps! We disembarked after a very foggy sail in to New York and it's been quite cool and raining all day! Getting us ready for heading back home to Scotland!

We are looking forward to seeing our fur babies and we got Miss Bonnie a special IDtag for her collar when we were at NASA Space Centre in Port Canaveral - it reads "Failure is not an Option". We thought it most appropriate and now especially after reading the article Alexspepa posted and of course "our" Lydia and Tyr!

DKD, you never know who might be reading this - just look what happened when I stumbled across this board! And we are so happy that we did - so back to the training next week, and the sardines! LOL!

I need the training, well, the walking, especially after all the gorgeous food we've been having on the ship! LOL!!!

So have a great weekend everyone and I'm happy to wish you all this from New York!

Edited by fairbourne

Hi everyone, it has been a loooong time since I posted here the last time. Sorry I didn't keep my word and tell you more about the Norway cruise that I made without my dear service dog Joy. Today, I returned from another Norway cruise. This time, Joy joined me! What great experience this was! She did só well and I am over the moon proud of her! I had a wonderful week full of beaytiful sceneries, great weather, delicious food and lots of special encounters and talks (mostly thanks to Joy).

Joy helped me without being distracted by the attention people gave to her and took great care of me. One night, my legs suddenly didn't work at all anymore for a couple of minutes (usually, I can stand and walk small distances) due to spinal cord compression. I was scared to go to sleep; what if I would wake up completely paralyzed? Joy was already asleep in her bench, but felt some way or the other that something was wrong, came to me and licked my face to comfort me. So special!

Here are a few pictures to illustrate our wonderful week :)

3495c1u.jpg

10sdwk1.jpg

2004rhy.jpg

72t921.jpg

swcnmh.jpg