Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

We just got back from another doggie eye doctor. The first one wasn't sure if he had eye melanoma or not. We needed to get a second opinion. This one said she doesn't think it's cancer, she thinks it's a cyst of some kind. So we are just going to check it a few times a year. Have a good weekend. 😀

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

Great news Cindy!

We just got back from another doggie eye doctor. The first one wasn't sure if he had eye melanoma or not. We needed to get a second opinion. This one said she doesn't think it's cancer, she thinks it's a cyst of some kind. So we are just going to check it a few times a year. Have a good weekend. 😀

What a relief for you. So glad it was good news.

So my wife was in the grocery store with Sutter yesterday. A guy reached down and started petting Sutter. My wife politely told him that Sutter was a service dog in training and is not to be petted. She explained that if it were a person let's say on crutches and he distracted the dog, the person could get pulled over. His answer to her was...wait for it... Then maybe a person with a disability shouldn't have a service dog. Needless to say my wife was speechless. You just can't fix stupid!!

So my wife was in the grocery store with Sutter yesterday. A guy reached down and started petting Sutter. My wife politely told him that Sutter was a service dog in training and is not to be petted. She explained that if it were a person let's say on crutches and he distracted the dog, the person could get pulled over. His answer to her was...wait for it... Then maybe a person with a disability shouldn't have a service dog. Needless to say my wife was speechless. You just can't fix stupid!!

WHAT? I'm no longer surprised by some people's behavior and comments when it comes to our dogs or, for that matter, life in general!!!!

Prayer to self: "Please Lord help me get through another day without someone trying to distract or tease my Service Dog!!!!"

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Literally laughing out loud at that one!!

Dianne

Oh for heavens sake.

That's like saying maybe quadriplegics like my nephew shouldn't have a power wheelchair because when someone else decides they'd like to ride around and play in the chair without permission, it might get screwed up and stop working suddenly later, and he'll tip over and be hurt.

So to prevent that, we should really save the expensive chairs and highly trained dogs for people who want to play with them.

Give me strength.

Hey Everyone - read a pretty interesting book on the airplane Sunday - Always Tuesday. I posted a link below...written by a disabled vet about his Service Dog Tuesday. It is an emotionally powerful and wrenching story - not just for the veteran but Tuesday as well had a very tough time during his training. It can be emotional reading at times but I do recommend it.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/until-tuesday-luis-carlos-montalv-n/1117992918/2685721931734?st=PLA&sid=BNB_DRS_Marketplace+Shopping+Paperbackshopus_00000000&2sid=Google_&sourceId=PLGoP23175&k_clickid=3x23175

Aunty Roz and Horton are off on their Panama cruise tomorrow!

It might be a tad quiet around here while Her Majesty is sailing the seas but I have a couple of puppy training stories which I will share with the Royal Puppy Court while HM is away. Nothing as bad as DKD's wife's tail of woe from the supermarket but I can certainly relate to that - as you say you can't fix stupid! Cindy, great news about Wexler!

BON VOYAGE you two and have a woofderful, pawtastic time.

Edited by fairbourne

It might be a tad quiet around here while Her Majesty is sailing the seas but I have a couple of puppy training stories which I will share with the Royal Puppy Court while HM is away. Nothing as bad as DKD's wife's tail of woe from the supermarket but I can certainly relate to that - as you say you can't fix stupid! Cindy, great news about Wexler!

Thank you so much......His highness is at the groomers as I write this. He now gets his whiskers and tummy cut and shaved. Since his whiskers on his face are coming in gray they do detract from his handsomeness so the groomer recommended cutting them, like they do for show dogs.....Horton Jeffrey is turning into quite a diva in his old age!!!!

Talk to all of you after December 5th. Please take care of each other.....I'll miss you!

And, have a wonderful joyfilled Thanksgiving!!!!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Thank you so much......His highness is at the groomers as I write this. He now gets his whiskers and tummy cut and shaved. Since his whiskers on his face are coming in gray they do detract from his handsomeness so the groomer recommended cutting them, like they do for show dogs.....Horton Jeffrey is turning into quite a diva in his old age!!!!

Talk to all of you after December 5th. Please take care of each other.....I'll miss you!

Have a great trip Roz!

You two have a great trip. I can't wait to hear lots of stories.

Horty's getting manscaped again! Have a wonderful cruise and blessed Thanksgiving, Auntie Roz!

Oh, boy! Stories! the Royal Puppy Court is looking forward to those.

Roz, I hope you and Horton have a fabulous time! Looking forward to hearing about your adventures and I hope it won't be too hot.

Dianne

Not surprised at stupidity anymore!

Hey Chris, Roz, DKD, Rangely, etc.- while flying through Phoenix I went to the men's room and saw a sign that said Service Dog relief area...it was in the restroom and just had the sign and a container of bags - there was nowhere for the dog to go but on the floor. Maybe you ask an attendent and they bring out a mat or something? Have any of you encountered this on your travels? I know the airports are supposed to provide a relief area inside the secure zone but this seemed a little sparse? or are you OK with it? just curious...

Hey Chris, Roz, DKD, Rangely, etc.- while flying through Phoenix I went to the men's room and saw a sign that said Service Dog relief area...it was in the restroom and just had the sign and a container of bags - there was nowhere for the dog to go but on the floor. Maybe you ask an attendent and they bring out a mat or something? Have any of you encountered this on your travels? I know the airports are supposed to provide a relief area inside the secure zone but this seemed a little sparse? or are you OK with it? just curious...

Keith, that's so weird! No, the only two designated relief areas inside security I've seen in airports were at Tampa (a grassy spot with some poop bags on a post dispenser in a secured outdoor employee parking area, so you have to be personally led there by a manager through closed back areas down a freight elevator! and then the manager has to wait around and lead you back up to the concourse...so crazy) ...

And an actual dog bathroom with a door in Dallas. It wasn't as good as it sounds because it smelled very strongly of disinfectant - used, I guess, on the artificial turf placed on the floor next to a drain. There was a hose as well. Maybe we were supposed to hose it down after using? A moot point because my dog turned around and walked away - I think due to the chemical smell. I wish I had taken a photo but I was stressed and on a mission to take care of Raylene's needs between two long flights.

So instead we went outside and found a sparse patch of withered grass outside security. And then had to go back through security, of course.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

Keith, that's so weird! No, the only two designated relief areas inside security I've seen in airports were at Tampa (a grassy spot with some poop bags on a post dispenser in a secured outdoor employee parking area, so you have to be personally led there by a manager through closed back areas down a freight elevator! and then the manager has to wait around and lead you back up to the concourse...so crazy) ...

And an actual dog bathroom with a door in Dallas. It wasn't as good as it sounds because it smelled very strongly of disinfectant - used, I guess, on the artificial turf placed on the floor next to a drain. There was a hose as well. Maybe we were supposed to hose it down after using? A moot point because my dog turned around and walked away - I think due to the chemical smell. I wish I had taken a photo but I was stressed and on a mission to take care of Raylene's needs between two long flights.

So instead we went outside and found a sparse patch of withered grass outside security. And then had to go back through security, of course.

Chris - I was stunned to be honest - and my wife actually saw it first in her bathroom and told me about it. She has heard me talk about this thread and said "hey guess what I just saw?". I wish I had taken a picture but trust me when it was just a bare place to go inside the restroom. My dog is not a Service Dog - but if I tried to get her to go there she would look at me like I was an idiot. I guess I could say small steps - but to me that is not a small step foward. If you can tell me who to email or call I will tell them that is not progress.

by the way Phoenix is like the top 4 biggest airport in the US...so it should be in the vangard of getting in step with the ADA.

Keith

Edited by alexspepa