Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Aren't they funny? Scooter could care less about fireworks, thunder or gun shots.

My other decision is whether to take Scooter on our Dec 2017 family cruise, including my kids, their SO's and my dad and his spouse. DH says no. I won't need to drive, and if hit with an episode I can simply hit the meds and sleep it off. OTOH, he can alert before it starts and let me use less meds and not have to sleep it off. Since I love to play in the water, Scooter will likely restrict me if we take him.

Then, what about February? We have two weeks planned.

Right now I'm leaning toward boarding him at the trainer, since I'm not actually sure his training is quite up to par for a cruise ship. Getting there, and I'm comfortable with him out and about and even on short trips, but a week on a ship after a flight may be interesting. I also haven't even started getting him to potty in a box. Really need to do that, but life keeps getting in the way.

Aren't they funny? Scooter could care less about fireworks, thunder or gun shots.

My other decision is whether to take Scooter on our Dec 2017 family cruise, including my kids, their SO's and my dad and his spouse. DH says no. I won't need to drive, and if hit with an episode I can simply hit the meds and sleep it off. OTOH, he can alert before it starts and let me use less meds and not have to sleep it off. Since I love to play in the water, Scooter will likely restrict me if we take him.

Then, what about February? We have two weeks planned.

Right now I'm leaning toward boarding him at the trainer, since I'm not actually sure his training is quite up to par for a cruise ship. Getting there, and I'm comfortable with him out and about and even on short trips, but a week on a ship after a flight may be interesting. I also haven't even started getting him to potty in a box. Really need to do that, but life keeps getting in the way.

Follow your gut instincts. And trust your good decisions!!!!

A lot could change between now and December with his training. I would definitely make sure that he can use the relief box on command before taking him on a cruise.

Dianne

A lot could change between now and December with his training. I would definitely make sure that he can use the relief box on command before taking him on a cruise.

Dianne

I so agree! Life is so much easier for both of you! If Horton or Brenda could teach the "Potty Box" class to ALL dogs, dogs would be so much happier and less stressed, as would their handlers.

I would open the cabin door and Brenda would walk down the hall towards the stair-well, wait patiently for me to open the door and she'd walk right to her box. I video-taped it and every once in a while I look at it and get tears in my eyes. She was a genius at anything she did! I loved her to the moon and back!

We are lucky as CCI has all their relief areas kind of set up like a wooden potty box. So he was used to going in a smaller area. We have no trouble getting him to go, unless it's not something he doesn't like to go on.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

You're right, they do! I remember when Horty and I went back for Re-Cert. a few months ago, there were several box-type structures near the grass with different fillers in them. Great way to start teaching the pups how to use a box!

Kudos to CCI. They didn't have these in 2002, when Brenda and first started.

Happy birthday Wexy! From your Scottish cousins! :D XXXX

Ha ha ha ha .... did you all read Wexy's card ??? We can relate to that last verse in our house - silent and deadly!!! LOL!!!

Happy weekend to all of you, we are supposed to have a high of maybe 19C is we are lucky! Roz I hope you and Horton stay cool.

I don't think I mentioned this yet but we just got the letter from CCI that says Sutter will be in the August Team training class!! When we do a little reading between the lines of his last few progress reports, it sounds like he might be heading for a skilled companion team with a child. We just hopes he graduates!! Fingers crossed!!

DKD, that is brilliant news, well done Sutter (and you guys for puppy walking him and showing him the way).

Well, I'm feeling perky because we booked a new cruise today for our anniversary next April. Almost a year ago we booked an 11-day Caribbean sailing which Holland America recently cancelled when they announced the start of Cuba cruises on our ship.

What we decided to do today is take a very easy 10-day cruise, dog-wise. No paperwork hassles, just the form 7001. It will sail out of Florida up the Atlantic Coast and into the Canadian Maritime ports, ending up in Montreal. We've been to all the places previously which makes it even more relaxing. No need for sightseeing tours, but if we want to book one or just walk around in port, it will be simple. I'm relaxing just contemplating it and feeling very lucky.

Well, I'm feeling perky because we booked a new cruise today for our anniversary next April. Almost a year ago we booked an 11-day Caribbean sailing which Holland America recently cancelled when they announced the start of Cuba cruises on our ship.

What we decided to do today is take a very easy 10-day cruise, dog-wise. No paperwork hassles, just the form 7001. It will sail out of Florida up the Atlantic Coast and into the Canadian Maritime ports, ending up in Montreal. We've been to all the places previously which makes it even more relaxing. No need for sightseeing tours, but if we want to book one or just walk around in port, it will be simple. I'm relaxing just contemplating it and feeling very lucky.

Chris, I totally get it! My family and friends NEVER understand when I tell them that I'm taking another Mexican Riviera, Pacific Northwest or California Coastal cruise. I've been to these places both by land and sea at least 2 dozen times and have seen everything there is to see.

Only a true "Sea Hag or Hagster" [whatever the male equivalent of a Sea Hag is], would completely understand. I just want the cruising/sea/sky/relaxing experience....nothing more and nothing less! I may never get off the ship....I may sleep until noon [if Horton will let me, and surprisingly, sometimes he does!] I may choose to sit on my veranda or by the pool for an entire day and [although this would be rare], eat nothing but room service!

Cruising has many choices and for me it can be all about the ship and the glorious sea!

Well, it seems the games are beginning! Carnival is giving me a heads-up that the port authorities in Honolulu may request that Horton be re-vaccinated for Rabies because by the time we take this cruise it will be over one year since he received his last vaccine. I know that the Rabies vaccine is accumulative and normally good for 3 years. Since Horton is 8 years old and his last shot was less than a year ago, I don't want him to have anymore injections. Horton was vaccinated for everything before we took our Panama Canal cruise in October of 2016. There is such a thing as over vaccinating, and, although I do believe that these precautionary vaccines are important, I also believe that giving them too often can be dangerous, especially in a senior dog. I will speak to his Vet and see what their feelings are. There is some very serious literature coming out about the hazards of over vaccination and some very serious reactions.

I have a call into the Dept. of Agriculture in Honolulu and I'm waiting to hear from them. I, of course, will have ALL the necessary paperwork and documentation for Horton when we enter every port [where I'm sure I will be called to go to a lounge, very early in the morning, so that Horton and his paperwork can be examined.] Have they not heard of communicating with each other via cell phone, along with taking a picture of his paperwork and him, so that each port does not require a separate visit. After all, Hawaii is in the good old USA! Each port is NOT a separate country!

Through the Panama Canal, I got so disgusted with the early morning phone calls that I told the Purser's Desk that they would have to come and get Horton to display him to the Immigration Officers in Honduras. I was tired.......Horton loved the extra walk and attention!

Sounds very relaxing. I would like to do this itinerary in a couple of years.

Dianne

Well, it seems the games are beginning! Carnival is giving me a heads-up that the port authorities in Honolulu may request that Horton be re-vaccinated for Rabies because by the time we take this cruise it will be over one year since he received his last vaccine. I know that the Rabies vaccine is accumulative and normally good for 3 years. Since Horton is 8 years old and his last shot was less than a year ago, I don't want him to have anymore injections. Horton was vaccinated for everything before we took our Panama Canal cruise in October of 2016. There is such a thing as over vaccinating, and, although I do believe that these precautionary vaccines are important, I also believe that giving them too often can be dangerous, especially in a senior dog. I will speak to his Vet and see what their feelings are. There is some very serious literature coming out about the hazards of over vaccination and some very serious reactions.

This does not sound right to me since non-service dogs are allowed in with the 3-year rabies vaccination (as long as they meet all of the other requirements) under the 5-day or less program. Let us know what you hear back.

Dianne