Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Hey everybody! My apologies for posting my message several times. I was logged in from work and apparently our internet was acting up. So instead of one message you kind folks got multiple. I am so sorry that I don't know how to remove the extras.

Gibson does the silly routine when we try to lift his back end into the car. Front feet pop down, then we start over. It is ridiculous!

Looking forward to all of Roz's stories...

Thanks!
Beckie

[SIZE=3][COLOR=SeaGreen]Welcome Sarah and Jules. We are a cozy, crazy bunch!

Beckie: No worries, I just scroll past the extras. I think if you go in to edit it, you can delete (each word or hi-lite and delete) the multi message. But have to have some text, so most just type in "Deleted extra post" or something like that.

Fairbourne: Couldn't let something like that slip by! Thought I would type it in red so NO ONE missed it! LOL. :D

Hope everyone has a great weekend. I have already gone out and trimmed a bush that has decided to let a sucker plant grow on it, that was larger than the bush! Then I finished weeding a small area that grew crazy when we had our one and only rain storm this season.
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Welcome Sarah and Jules!

Gibson and Diana have not been on a cruise (yet), but he has stayed with her in ICU twice during hospital stays. I always stay with her as well, so I do bathroom duties with him. One time he didn't "go" for 18 hours because he was so distracted by all the smells in the grassy areas outside the hospital. Obviously each dog has his or her own personality, just like children. Gibson would need lots of practice with a box before cruising.

Please keep us all posted on your trip and all the planning. We just love to hear about everyone's activities.

Thanks!
Beckie

Hi Sarah and Jules! Congratulations on your degrees and welcome to this happy (slap-happy?) band of conspirators. Quite a handsome and obviously intelligent boy!

I know that Celebrity Cruises will do sod instead of mulch if the ship is sailing from some U.S. Ports. Perhaps Princess will as well, but Roz will know. (Are you back yet, Mom??)

Yesterday, Bob built Raylene a 4X4 frame and put it in our fenced back yard in the mulch area, with some new mulch added, to simulate a ship's "dog park." (I got this idea from Roz in a long-ago post.)

So today, I led her to her new box on her leash first thing in the morning (usually she is allowed to just go leash-less for her morning business), gave the command, and she took care of business after a little encouragement to get back into the box. I've decided to continue leading her there on leash, with a training treat each time she uses it to reinforce "Do business in the box." Then I'll see if she will do it off-leash, too.

We don't sail until December 13, though, so we have time to practice.

[COLOR="Indigo"][B]Hi Honey's, I'm home,[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Indigo"][B]I wrote a whole story for you and pressed some darn button and "poof" it was all gone!!!!! :mad:[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Indigo"][B]I'll try to recreate it for you. First; welcome to Sarah & Jules.[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Indigo"][B]Chris, brilliant, what you're doing is perfect. Raylene will be a pro at going to the potty box and it will make for a better cruise for both of you. Yes, Celebrity did supply real sod but the box was placed on an outside deck and it was so small that half the time Brenda missed the box......it was not so good!!!![/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Indigo"][B]Princess will NOT allow a potty box or potty pads on your veranda. The Steward will turn you in, in case you think you can do it and they won't even know![/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Indigo"][B]When we entered the ship the potty box was placed in a crew closet pretty far down the hall, I asked our Steward to move it to the stairwell, two doors down from our room. Within 20 minutes it was done. The box was 5x5 filled with LARGE chips of cedar mulch. I asked that they fill the box full of the chips [they tend to put a sparse amount in], because it makes it easier for the dogs paws to step on the larger chips when there's lots of them. They filled the box full and it worked so much better.[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Indigo"][B]If your dog still refuses to walk on the chips ask them to bring a bag of wood shavings from their carpentry dept. that will really soften the chips and both Brenda and Horton liked the shavings. The shavings tend to stick to the dogs paws and they track them into the hallway. I didn't ask for them, this time, and filling the box full did the trick![/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Indigo"][B]I promise if you're consistent with practicing with the box your dog will become accustomed to it and it will be second nature.[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Indigo"][B]There were two other dogs onboard; a coon dog [medic-alert], named "Chase" who every time he and Horton saw each other they did the cutest dance. He had his own box in the crew closet and there was a Chiauhau[sp] who was a Service Dog as much as I'm the Queen of England! :rolleyes: [/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Indigo"][B]So many people approached me and told me they were "lurkers" on this thread and even mentioned some of you by name......it was so weird. It's time we got agents!!!!;) Strangers are in love with our stories and our dogs![/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Indigo"][B]Horton made so many new friends and I had to fight folks for his professional photos. He's going to be in more strangers albums! He's such a sweet and handsome dog![/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Indigo"][B]This ship had some of the nicest crew members that I have ever cruised with. I hope to cruise with them again.[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Indigo"][B]Now, who are you referring to as an "old bird" - Seriously, I mean SERIOUSLY!!!! I double-dog-dare any of you to keep up with this old codger!!!!!!!! I'm a fury to be reckoned with when it comes to walking from the Dining Room to the Theatre and someone tries to beat me to a seat!!! I make "Roadrunner" look like road kill! :)[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Indigo"][B]Tomorrow I'm meeting some folks for lunch from one of my previous cruises. And, I can't wait until April to board the Golden Princess![/B][/COLOR]

Roz

What ship did you sail on? Is it possible that princess will provide sod?

I'm going to start potty box training him on Monday morning? Is cedar chips all they use? When I was at an ACB convention - Jules refused to use sawdust (?) or maybe wood shaving? I don't remember exactly. Is 4x4 the normal size for the box or can you request like a 6x6,5x5 box etc?

Sorry asking so many questions!!

Sarah and Jules

Hi Honey's, I'm home

Welcome home to both of you.

First; welcome to Sarah & Jules.

Also welcome to Sarah and Jules

There were two other dogs onboard; a coon dog [medic-alert], named "Chase" who every time he and Horton saw each other they did the cutest dance. He had his own box in the crew closet and there was a Chiauhau[sp] who was a Service Dog as much as I'm the Queen of England! :rolleyes:

Roz I didn't know you were the Queen of England, Your Majesty LOL. I think that Horton and Chase could recognise that both of them are TRUE service dogs, hence the dance. Maybe the little dog was for seasickness, just kidding.

Strangers are in love with our stories and our dogs!

I like the stories and the information and help given.

Now, who are you referring to as an "old bird" - Seriously, I mean SERIOUSLY!!!! I double-dog-dare any of you to keep up with this old codger!!!!!!!! I'm a fury to be reckoned with when it comes to walking from the Dining Room to the Theatre and someone tries to beat me to a seat!!! I make "Roadrunner" look like road kill! :)

It must of have been someone who sneaked on this board and used user names to post bad information about you. LOL

Welcome home again. You were talking about you and Horton getting on a crowded elevator and your adventures.

All the best Susan

[quote name='Sarachan74']Roz

What ship did you sail on? Is it possible that princess will provide sod?

I'm going to start potty box training him on Monday morning? Is cedar chips all they use? When I was at an ACB convention - Jules refused to use sawdust (?) or maybe wood shaving? I don't remember exactly. Is 4x4 the normal size for the box or can you request like a 6x6,5x5 box etc?

Sorry asking so many questions!!

Sarah and Jules[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Indigo"][B]Sarah,[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Indigo"][B]I was on the Crown Princess. In all the cruising I've done with Princess they've never used sod. They use a 5x5 box [wood], lined with heavy duty plastic and the filler has been those dang paper pellets [Brenda hated them.] Labs have webbed toes and the pellets poke at their paws. They then went to wood shavings; small cedar mulch and now they're using a larger mulch. [/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Indigo"][B]I suggest a combination of the shavings and the mulch.[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Indigo"][B]I used to think that Brenda wouldn't go on anything but grass, I soon learned that she would go on most anything but concrete and paper pellets. Small, pea stone also works well but they haven't used it yet.[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Indigo"][B]I find Princess to be very receptive to their passengers. To bring on real sod could be doable. It all takes time and planning. The filler has been an issue since I started cruising with Brenda in 2005.[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Indigo"][B]Horton and Brenda learned to go on the very easy to get and keep clean, "mulch." I actually like it. It's virtually odorless and the dogs like it.[/B][/COLOR] Edited by wizard-of-roz

[quote name='Sarachan74']I bought the earthgro mulch, it was shredded not in chips. Jules refused to go on it, he went everywhere around it though! Could the shredded mulch be causing discomfort?[/QUOTE]

[B][COLOR="Indigo"]Something I noticed about mulch is that it can get some pointy edges on it. Which is why when it's piled pretty thickly it tends to get less edges on it. I know that if Horton gets poked or if something falls off a table and spooks him or hits him he shies away from that very thing. Brenda wasn't such an easily spooked dog as Horton is.[/COLOR][/B]

[B][COLOR="Indigo"]I try not to react too much because he's so sensitive to my voice and the way I react.[/COLOR][/B]

[B][COLOR="Indigo"]Everything I do with him, if it's new, I have to do with a very positive and upbeat attitude. He's does better if I do it with positivity rather than doubt in my voice. [/COLOR][/B]

[COLOR="Indigo"][B]The more you do something with your dog the easier it will be. Don't give up![/B][/COLOR] Edited by wizard-of-roz

I have not been on a cruise in several years and never on Princess, but my last two cruises I made my own potty by putting plastic garbage bags as a floor liner, then disposable potty pads, then squares (same size as pads) of faux K-9 Grass on top. Even if they don't allow you to have it on your balcony, you could still put faux grass on top of the mulch, if you wanted to. It isn't cheap, but I like it better/cleaner than the mulch. My service dog goes on mulch and other surfaces, but grass is her favorite.

Quam

What a delightful pup - I love her white paws! What kind of dog is she? I'm presuming a "she" with the pink collar? :). Thank you for sharing - she looks like she would be up for a good cuddle too! :D

It never lets me post more than one photo either by uploading ... But now I know how to do it the DKD way. BTW, where is DKD?

Hi Honey's, I'm home,

Welcome Home Roz and Horton - we all missed you Your Majesty! Actually some of us were quite, well very, jelly, jelly, jelly and went and booked a short cruise for later this year!!! :D

So many people approached me and told me they were "lurkers" on this thread and even mentioned some of you by name......it was so weird. It's time we got agents!!!!;) Strangers are in love with our stories and our dogs!

[Dawgone Fabulous]!

Horton made so many new friends and I had to fight folks for his professional photos. He's going to be in more strangers albums! He's such a sweet and handsome dog!

[]Brilliant! I just knew he would be the star of the show, aren't our dogs just fabulous in bringing so much pleasure into ours and others' lives!

Now, who are you referring to as an "old bird" - Seriously, I mean SERIOUSLY!!!! I double-dog-dare any of you to keep up with this old codger!!!!!!!! I'm a fury to be reckoned with when it comes to walking from the Dining Room to the Theatre and someone tries to beat me to a seat!!! I make "Roadrunner" look like road kill! :)[/

LOL! I've no idea what you could pawsibly be talking about?! ;):p. I imagine it's something to do with that Aunty Nancy Fancy Pants, she's been doing a lot of A-rooooooing lately! I think she needs to go on a croooooose! LOL!

Edited by fairbourne

If you travel through an airport and maybe lose something or leave something on an aircraft, just have a look here what they've done at Amsterdam airport - if you link to this site there are some other stories that are great too - you may want to make a coffee before you start, if like me you may be there for a while reading them!:)

http://sfglobe.com/?id=14013&src=share_fb_new_14013

If you travel through an airport and maybe lose something or leave something on an aircraft, just have a look here what they've done at Amsterdam airport - if you link to this site there are some other stories that are great too - you may want to make a coffee before you start, if like me you may be there for a while reading them!:)

http://sfglobe.com/?id=14013&src=share_fb_new_14013

I saw that the other day...absolutely fabulous.

makes you want to lose something on purpose.

Glad you're back, Roz! We missed you!!

Great to hear about Horty's onboard adventures and "Lurker Loves"! So funny about the photos.

The photos are not cheap and people wanted to buy the one's that I didn't. So strange!

When you travel with your Service Dog be prepared for strangers who fall in love with your dog. They're so enthralled by the SD that they want to spend time with them, take their pictures and love on them. It's very sweet!

That said, there were some people who didn't want to be near Horton and wouldn't even stay on the elevator with him.

Be prepared to run into a few [very few] of the "dog haters!" You will want to move your dog away from them and avoid being in small spaces with them! If you have to exit an elevator or sit in a different area, do it! ;)