Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Hey everyone,

Good to see old friends still on the Board. We just booked SF Panama from SF to FL in Oct. so thought we would check back in:). I amdoing well but now have to used a scooter for any distance.

Hope to catch up with everyone.

Mornin' all:

Welcome back Roz, Brenny and Mr. Roz! I am so glad your trip went well. I sometimes feel guilty saying that our cruises on Carnival have been the best. We were always true to Royal, but the last time we were on them I have to say, the food was bearable at best. Just real blah. The atmoshere just wasn't what we remembered. And then there is the pricing. Carnival has been at least a couple of hundred per person less for our balcony. I'm sorry $400 dollars is a lot of foo-foo drinks and souvenirs! I am so ready for a cruise. We haven't been 2006! This year I hope.

We lost electricity from Thursday, 4:30pm to Friday, 10:45 am. Had lots of rain and wind. Reportedly a tornado, depends on what news you watch. Will have to wait for our local paper to confirm (LOL) it next Wednesday. Local paper only comes out twice a week.

Anyways, hope all is well with everyone. Take care, busy all week, busy all weekend and I am exhausted.

Nancy

Sunshine' date=' I think Roz and everyone else was wondering if Baily forgave you for being gone from her so long. Valentine hates when I leave her even for an hour or so and will bark at me when i get in the door. If you knew how rare it is for her to bark you would know just how she hated being left behind. I remember her vet telling me it was not good for a service dog to be away from their partner so I really try not to but sometimes you just have to go alone! But boy does she ever tell me about it when I get home!!! LOL:eek:[/quote']

Brenda and I have never been apart [except for the groomer appointments]. It's very scary......I think about all that I've done in my life prior to Brenda coming into it [7 1/2 years ago] and it amazes how much she is so much a part of me now!

Mornin' all:

Welcome back Roz, Brenny and Mr. Roz! I am so glad your trip went well. I sometimes feel guilty saying that our cruises on Carnival have been the best. We were always true to Royal, but the last time we were on them I have to say, the food was bearable at best. Just real blah. The atmoshere just wasn't what we remembered. And then there is the pricing. Carnival has been at least a couple of hundred per person less for our balcony. I'm sorry $400 dollars is a lot of foo-foo drinks and souvenirs! I am so ready for a cruise. We haven't been 2006! This year I hope.

We lost electricity from Thursday, 4:30pm to Friday, 10:45 am. Had lots of rain and wind. Reportedly a tornado, depends on what news you watch. Will have to wait for our local paper to confirm (LOL) it next Wednesday. Local paper only comes out twice a week.

Anyways, hope all is well with everyone. Take care, busy all week, busy all weekend and I am exhausted.

Nancy

Thanks, Nancy. I'm enjoying ALL the cruiselines, these days. I still like Princess the best. But, Carnival is so much fun, with all it colors and "up a notch" excitement on their ships. They are so much fun!

And, I must say, Carnival has it really "down pat" when it comes to customer service, as far as we're concerned!

[i'm writing from PaPa's email]

Sunshine, You must be thrilled. I know how much it means to the puppy raisers and volunteers to see their babies graduate. I think I can speak for all of us when I say we are all proud of you for the love and dedication you give these special animals. :D Volunteers, puppy raisers and trainers are special people and have a big place in our hearts. We thank you because all of you make it possible for us to have the love and independence these animals give us. When I see how happy Wex makes John, all the hard work is worth it!! THANKS!!

DITTO.....DITTO.......DITTO.......

Love,

Roz, PaPa and Brenny

Hey everyone,

Good to see old friends still on the Board. We just booked SF Panama from SF to FL in Oct. so thought we would check back in:). I amdoing well but now have to used a scooter for any distance.

Hope to catch up with everyone.

Darcie, [i'm on PaPa's email] - It's so good to hear from you and that you have a cruise in your future. I'm sorry to hear that you're having to use a scooter for long distance.....but, anything that will allow us to have more ability is okay!

I love the anticipation thing....it really adds to the excitement of the cruise experience!

Darcie, Welcome back, nice to see you again. Someday we will do the Panama canal, I hope! Sorry to hear you need a scooter now, but what ever get you around.

Nancy, I hope you get to go on a cruise this year. That is one thing I look forward to every year. We have never gone on Carnival, we aren't party people and would rather stay away from the 20 somethings and small kids. We enjoy the older crowd, peacefulness, and a smaller ship on HAL. plus the food is great!!! I'm not sure if it costs more or not. I found most of the lines around the same price. I would love to do a Disney cruise, maybe they can have an adults only cruise. That would be great.

Roz, I did answer your question about Bailee, Valentines mom helped me out with that.

Cindy

Mornin' all:

Cindy: We absolutely loved Hal. We sailed on them before we got grandson. Third person prices can be a deal breaker. Although they have been advertising 3 person or kids sail free. We were really surprised to find out that Carnival is really not all that Party atmosphere that everyone talks about. We usually cruise in the fall so the kids are back in school and I think that makes a big difference. I really want to try Princess, but you pay almost full price for the 3rd person. Someday.

Hope everyone has a great Sunday and next week doesn't dump too much rain on us!

Nancy

Mr Sunshine had to go into the office yesterday. We had a full day of DIY homeimprovement on our schedule, but suddenly I had the day free. I went up to the farm and had some great bonding time with Crackers. He really doesn't like wearing his pack, so we are working on only wearing the pack during super fun times. So, I had it on him and we played on the playground, up and down ramps, up and down stairs and lot's of ball tossing. Then he had to "go into a crate" for a while. One of the trainers was on property, so I helped her with some of her dogs. I heard Crackers in the back ground just letting me know he was not pleased to hear me out with other friends. He is so big, but still young, so his bark still sounds like a puppy.

I helped the trainer work on "go get help". Lot's of fun to see how this very important command is taught. She has a very smart yellow lab that was donated from another group. He is very high energy, but so smart!! Makes me think he must be related to our "Brenny". He picks up on all the advanced commands so quick. Just needs to keep busy or he gets bored.

Next week, I will be working with three different dogs. One is a super sweet lab/golden mix who will go to the hospital with me. The next is a golden male who has had some issues, but recently made some breakthurs. So I am going to take him out on a ton of outings. Then finally Crackers will come home. I hope his trainer let's him come for about a week, but she also needs to work with him at the property, so we negotiate. Let you know how it all goes.

Nancy, We love HAL too. A few years ago my son went with us and it was 199 for him to stay in our room. This year we tried to get him to go cuz it was 99 for him to stay in our room. It all depends on when and where you go. Sometimes too I think if you get a room that can handle 3 persons, then wait to add the 3rd person. HAL lets you add a 3rd at any time. You will get to go again!!!

Sunshine, I don't know how you have any time to do everything. You are always busy with your pups. Crackers and all the others are just adorable. It must be so fun to work with all different dogs.

Cindy

Mr Sunshine had to go into the office yesterday. We had a full day of DIY homeimprovement on our schedule, but suddenly I had the day free. I went up to the farm and had some great bonding time with Crackers. He really doesn't like wearing his pack, so we are working on only wearing the pack during super fun times. So, I had it on him and we played on the playground, up and down ramps, up and down stairs and lot's of ball tossing. Then he had to "go into a crate" for a while. One of the trainers was on property, so I helped her with some of her dogs. I heard Crackers in the back ground just letting me know he was not pleased to hear me out with other friends. He is so big, but still young, so his bark still sounds like a puppy.

I helped the trainer work on "go get help". Lot's of fun to see how this very important command is taught. She has a very smart yellow lab that was donated from another group. He is very high energy, but so smart!! Makes me think he must be related to our "Brenny". He picks up on all the advanced commands so quick. Just needs to keep busy or he gets bored.

Next week, I will be working with three different dogs. One is a super sweet lab/golden mix who will go to the hospital with me. The next is a golden male who has had some issues, but recently made some breakthurs. So I am going to take him out on a ton of outings. Then finally Crackers will come home. I hope his trainer let's him come for about a week, but she also needs to work with him at the property, so we negotiate. Let you know how it all goes.

I used to think that I like the "perfect" dog......you know the one that does "it" everytime you ask.....NO WAY! I love dogs with personality and show it at every turn.

I know how important it is to be "on" when they're working but when Brenny wiggles her butt or lays her head on my lap and looks right into my eyes with her big brown eyes [right after I've given her a command].........I literally melt!!!!!

I know we're not supposed to "fall for the fur" but it's so hard to do when you're so in love!!!!!! ;)

So super sweet lab/golden mix was a rock star at the hospital, but she was one tired dog when I brought her home. Dog #2 is playing with a toy as I type. Meet and Greet with Sandy went pretty well so far. Now, ready to put my paws up for awhile.

I love when you refer to your body parts as canine related. I, too, need to put my paws up! Only 3 more hours to go and I'm off duty and on "release!" ;)

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome back. You are right the anticipation is as much fun as the cruise! I have always wanted to do Panama but didn't think we would. Hubby hates to fly and it just seemed like too much for me before. But I am determined to make it!

Sunshine, I noticed the funniest thing with my Bailey. She can work all day and be ready for more with me.

But we also do pet partner thereapy work. We go to the hospital to visit and library for kids to read to her and she is pooped after about hour. The other dogs seem to be too (hence the hour time limit for the dogs). I have often thought it is because she is working with strangers? Maybe their "energy" or needs are more draining for her.

Anyone else have ideas about this or have experienced it?

I used to think that I like the "perfect" dog......you know the one that does "it" everytime you ask.....NO WAY! I love dogs with personality and show it at every turn.

I know how important it is to be "on" when they're working but when Brenny wiggles her butt or lays her head on my lap and looks right into my eyes with her big brown eyes [right after I've given her a command].........I literally melt!!!!!

I know we're not supposed to "fall for the fur" but it's so hard to do when you're so in love!!!!!! ;)

Roz, I know what you mean. Valentine has me and her daddy wrapped around her little paw. (when now working of corse) When she wants our attention she will look you right in the eye moan and will softly, barely noticable, stroke you with her paw. Makes me laugh every time. ;) They are so funny sometimes. She absolutely refuses to allow anyone to be depressed either. She will force you to play with her! Sounds weird but I swear it is the truth!!!

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome back. You are right the anticipation is as much fun as the cruise! I have always wanted to do Panama but didn't think we would. Hubby hates to fly and it just seemed like too much for me before. But I am determined to make it!

Sunshine, I noticed the funniest thing with my Bailey. She can work all day and be ready for more with me.

But we also do pet partner thereapy work. We go to the hospital to visit and library for kids to read to her and she is pooped after about hour. The other dogs seem to be too (hence the hour time limit for the dogs). I have often thought it is because she is working with strangers? Maybe their "energy" or needs are more draining for her.

I agree. I do think that working with others is harder work than what they do for their recepeint. Add to that: I've never really worked with her, so I am also new and different. The hospital is always a great time to see how the dogs handle a longer day. lot's of walking as well as smells, sights, sounds......I have a 30 minute drive taking them back to the training facility, and they always sleep the whole way back.

So far home visit going well. This boy barked aby 15 minutes last night and then was quiet. whew. Now, up early and trying to grab sips of coffee in between tossing a toy for him. These young pups. He is almost a year old, and quite large, but still is a puppy. Has been helping me around the house pick up anything I have missed. Had a tug of war over a piece of newspaper with Mr Sunshine. Maybe he is part goat!

We have a long morning of outings, going to visit MIL at the retirment home, so he will get some walker exposure and lot's of hugs, then off to do a tour for applicants, then more outings then home for him, and home for me.

I think it's because it's not "normal" for them and it takes a lot of "control" on their part.

They can pull a wheel chair; open and close doors; turn on and off lights and so much more but when it comes to having to just lie in a strange place and do nothing, while being totally in "control"....well, it's just plain exhausting! ;)

Roz' date=' I know what you mean. Valentine has me and her daddy wrapped around her little paw. (when now working of corse) When she wants our attention she will look you right in the eye moan and will softly, barely noticable, stroke you with her paw. Makes me laugh every time. ;) They are so funny sometimes. She absolutely refuses to allow anyone to be depressed either. She will force you to play with her! Sounds weird but I swear it is the truth!!![/quote']

So, so endearing. What a wonderful girl! She means the world to you and has earned all the love and respect that you both give her! :)

I agree. I do think that working with others is harder work than what they do for their recepeint. Add to that: I've never really worked with her, so I am also new and different. The hospital is always a great time to see how the dogs handle a longer day. lot's of walking as well as smells, sights, sounds......I have a 30 minute drive taking them back to the training facility, and they always sleep the whole way back.

So far home visit going well. This boy barked aby 15 minutes last night and then was quiet. whew. Now, up early and trying to grab sips of coffee in between tossing a toy for him. These young pups. He is almost a year old, and quite large, but still is a puppy. Has been helping me around the house pick up anything I have missed. Had a tug of war over a piece of newspaper with Mr Sunshine. Maybe he is part goat!

We have a long morning of outings, going to visit MIL at the retirment home, so he will get some walker exposure and lot's of hugs, then off to do a tour for applicants, then more outings then home for him, and home for me.

Whew! I'm worn-out just reading your day's activities.....You've got to have tons of energy to do what you do!

Have I told you lately, that I love you! :)

Whew, I was tired by the end of the day as well. Makes my work as a nurse look easy sometimes. The big golden I had yesterday was 11 months old. So cute, sweet, smart, but still young. Felt like a toddler in the house. I thought I was pretty puppy proof in one room, but he helped me find the remotes, the cordless phones, the newspaper, ...... My husband was looking for the remote yesterday evening, and I said, oh it's on the kitchen table. He looked at me, I said "woof" and he laughed.

I took the dog to my MIL. Always a good opportunity for exposures to walkers, the elderly, elevators etc. She was stillgetting dressed when I got there, next thing I know here she comes just in her underwear to see the dog! Then as we were chatting, I thought uh oh, this boys pretty quiet, and yeah, he was chewing on her oxygen tubing... I replaced it and we laughed, but he was so focused on that tubing from that point on, I finally had to move accross the room.

Crackers is home tomorow. And we are doing painting, so that should be interesting.

Whew, I was tired by the end of the day as well. Makes my work as a nurse look easy sometimes. The big golden I had yesterday was 11 months old. So cute, sweet, smart, but still young. Felt like a toddler in the house. I thought I was pretty puppy proof in one room, but he helped me find the remotes, the cordless phones, the newspaper, ...... My husband was looking for the remote yesterday evening, and I said, oh it's on the kitchen table. He looked at me, I said "woof" and he laughed.

I took the dog to my MIL. Always a good opportunity for exposures to walkers, the elderly, elevators etc. She was stillgetting dressed when I got there, next thing I know here she comes just in her underwear to see the dog! Then as we were chatting, I thought uh oh, this boys pretty quiet, and yeah, he was chewing on her oxygen tubing... I replaced it and we laughed, but he was so focused on that tubing from that point on, I finally had to move accross the room.

Crackers is home tomorow. And we are doing painting, so that should be interesting.

My laugh for the day!!!!!! "Woof!"

Sunshine you make me tired just reading about your days. Yes I can see where it seemed you had toddleer around! Rhank you so much for all the hours you put in to those pups.

I love CC just 'met' someone that also has limited mobility and is in wheelchair that will be going on the same cruise. She has done the Panama Canal a number of times and is a great resource for my port accessibility questions. There is nothing like this group!

P.S. check out Bailiey's picture on her card we had made up. It says her name, age, that she is a whippet and that she is a medical alert dog. She also particpates in the READ program at library. I did this on the suggestion of someone (sorry, I don't remember who) before our last cruise. It helps so much when I was trying to get somewhere and people wanted to keep stopping me and ask questions about her. I try to be gracious but there are just times when I am in a hurry or have a limited about of energy and can't take a lot of time to talk.

Of course this was just for other passsengers information, all the required documentation has to be on file with the cruise line and the ship's purser.

Hope everyone had a grea day.

Sunshine you make me tired just reading about your days. Yes I can see where it seemed you had toddleer around! Rhank you so much for all the hours you put in to those pups.

I love CC just 'met' someone that also has limited mobility and is in wheelchair that will be going on the same cruise. She has done the Panama Canal a number of times and is a great resource for my port accessibility questions. There is nothing like this group!

P.S. check out Bailiey's picture on her card we had made up. It says her name, age, that she is a whippet and that she is a medical alert dog. She also particpates in the READ program at library. I did this on the suggestion of someone (sorry, I don't remember who) before our last cruise. It helps so much when I was trying to get somewhere and people wanted to keep stopping me and ask questions about her. I try to be gracious but there are just times when I am in a hurry or have a limited about of energy and can't take a lot of time to talk.

Of course this was just for other passsengers information, all the required documentation has to be on file with the cruise line and the ship's purser.

Hope everyone had a grea day.

I love all of my CC friends, especially you guys. I refer to you as my "cyber-pals". Your SD stories are so helpful when I make presentations or give tours. Plus, if I am having "one of those dog days", I think of what these big toddlers are going to be able to do, and it makes it so worth it.

I just wish i was planning another cruise. Now, when i go to CC I am only opening this thread.

Off to get Crackers in a few hours. Since Grish puppy proofed the den, I'll see if Crackers can find anything else. Remotes and Telephones really are supposed to be on side tables, not up on shelves, so I'll see how he does before i put them up high.

I love all of my CC friends, especially you guys. I refer to you as my "cyber-pals". Your SD stories are so helpful when I make presentations or give tours. Plus, if I am having "one of those dog days", I think of what these big toddlers are going to be able to do, and it makes it so worth it.

I just wish i was planning another cruise. Now, when i go to CC I am only opening this thread.

Off to get Crackers in a few hours. Since Grish puppy proofed the den, I'll see if Crackers can find anything else. Remotes and Telephones really are supposed to be on side tables, not up on shelves, so I'll see how he does before i put them up high.

I must share this with you guys......Brenda actually works for me but over the past 7 1/2 years she's become intuned to PaPa's issues as well! She'll wait until he gets himself into his recliner than she'll look for the remote [then, she'll choose who she's going to deliver it to], she has turned to the most interesting channels and has changed a movie, right at the most intriqueing moment, with her mouth. We know she's going do the "remote rescue" the second he sits down.

She's become a "parlor game" for our friends; they love to watch her perform her myriad of tasks. The remote rescue is, by far, her Olympic Gold!!!!!