Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

We saved some scraps and have even gone back to the suppplier to get smore craps to take on trips.

Darcie: Thanks for the slip, I LOL. Sorry, but I needed that. Your yard is gorgeous. If you hadn't told me it was artificial, I wouldn't have known.

Roz: Oh my! Poor Brenny, she was probably horrified! Glad you didn't pee your pants! I am like you. Let me blend in and let everyone else be the center of attention. I can't even imagine what went thru your mind. Like, get the heck out of my way, after all I was on the way to the ladies room for a reason!

Everyone have a great evening.

Nancy

Yes, we have used it cruisingn with Princess. I pack an 'unused' grass square flat on the bottom of my suitcase. Princes sets up the box but they use shredded bark. Bailey doesn't like it and it can be messy and hard to pick up. I just take my little square of artificial turf and drop it over the bark (She was the only SD onboard). The box looks nice and green always neat, no cigarette butts. I left it there after the last cruise, but I know people who take a black garbage bags to re-pack it. Okay, this gets a little weird, but I think it depends on your dogs solids. If the stool it well formed easy pick up with nothing left behind and small - maybe, but............

Cool, so glad it worked for you! I have two pieces (to put next to eachother to form one big area) of K9 Grass that were scraps I got from the guy who installs them in this region (I wrote and asked about the price and he offered me scraps, I just had to pay for shipping/handling since he wasn't close enough for pick up or drop off). I'll be taking them on the cruise in a suitcase (my dog isn't as small as yours, so a little 3x3 area wouldn't work well), where they fit rolled up. I'll be putting disposable piddle pads beneath them.

I will be repacking it, since shipping/handling for them wasn't cheap plus I'm not going to pay to get an empty suitcase back on the plane!), but I will be washing it down first! Then I'll put them in garbage bags.

Anyway, this is NOT the old astroturf stuff. This looks and feels like real grass. I have seen other passengers walk by bend over and feel it:eek:

The kind I have is said to look/feel like real grass, but it doesn't, IMO. I hope yours is better than this kind. :) That's funny about the other passengers bending down to feel it! They better watch where they put their hand, though, haha!! You should make a deal with the grass company that you'll put a little card/tag with their name/logo/Web site on it at the potty box and they give you grass for free (or, if you already get scraps for free, something else, like grass cleaner or anything you might need). ;)

Here are some pics we took of the grass two years ago. The grass looks the same, the rest of the landscaping around the Koi pond and fence and really grown. http://picasaweb.google.com/darciegore/NewGrass##

Oh my gosh, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE what you did with your yard!!!! :D It is tiny, but you made it beautiful and serene!! I could sit out there all day. I love water features like that.

I get to the entrance to the ladies room and this woman [dressed in a black dress, with a little white apron (obviously the restroom attendant) who is supposed to open the door for the guests] takes one look at my big, black, four-legged partner and lets out a scream, so loud that two bartenders come running along with a herd of guests, just to check out just who's being molested...............there I am, with my hand outstretched trying to calm her down and explaining that Brenda is a working dog and she doesn't have to be afraid of her..........The woman is now leaning against the wall, outside the bathroom; there are people all around her..........and, poor Brenny; people who hadn't seen her before are now seeing her; some wanting to pet her; some asking me question after question about her and what she does and, there's the folks who are fanning this poor distraught woman.

Yikes!!!! That is definitely not fun. :o I hate that phenomenon of when ppl notice the dog (who has been there all along, LOL), one person will notice it and then make comments and stuff so that everybody else notices and then everybody wants to know this and that and blah, blah, blah! It is rather funny that all of a sudden they'll see the dog when they didn't see her before, but then a lot of ppl become very nosey, some even asking, "What's wrong with you?" and other rude things. :rolleyes:

I haven't had anybody scream bloody murder (thankfully!), but some do get startled. I love the ones who see her move a little and then say, "Oh my gosh, it IS a real dog!" As if I bring a giant stuffed animal dog with me, LOL!

BTW, my tip for the ladies' room is I don't let my dog sit (much less lay down) in there - yucky! And I wrap her leash around her harness handle a few times to keep it from dragging on the ground, then after I've washed my hands, I unwrap it and leave the restroom.

Edited by Quampapetet

Well the schedule just came out for CCI's Northeast Region public access recertification. It's on their web-site. We are going up on March 12. Time to "brush up" on some commands that Orson is just fine with but us humans are a little rusty on. This time they are doing the testing at the mall at 10:30 AM.

Nice and early for testing, a quick visit at the campus and still home at a reasonable time. But they are offering the dorms for people who might need to stay over.

Yikes!!!! That is definitely not fun. :o I hate that phenomenon of when ppl notice the dog (who has been there all along, LOL), one person will notice it and then make comments and stuff so that everybody else notices and then everybody wants to know this and that and blah, blah, blah! It is rather funny that all of a sudden they'll see the dog when they didn't see her before, but then a lot of ppl become very nosey, some even asking, "What's wrong with you?" and other rude things. :rolleyes:

I haven't had anybody scream bloody murder (thankfully!), but some do get startled. I love the ones who see her move a little and then say, "Oh my gosh, it IS a real dog!" As if I bring a giant stuffed animal dog with me, LOL!

BTW, my tip for the ladies' room is I don't let my dog sit (much less lay down) in there - yucky! And I wrap her leash around her harness handle a few times to keep it from dragging on the ground, then after I've washed my hands, I unwrap it and leave the restroom.

Quam: You and I live in a parallel world......exactly the same type of responses and questions [i absolutely hate it when someone says, "what's wrong with you?" And, I do exactly what you do in the bathrooms![/b]

Darcie: Thanks for the slip, I LOL. Sorry, but I needed that. Your yard is gorgeous. If you hadn't told me it was artificial, I wouldn't have known.

Roz: Oh my! Poor Brenny, she was probably horrified! Glad you didn't pee your pants! I am like you. Let me blend in and let everyone else be the center of attention. I can't even imagine what went thru your mind. Like, get the heck out of my way, after all I was on the way to the ladies room for a reason!

Everyone have a great evening.

Nancy

You too! Have a dry weekend!

Well the schedule just came out for CCI's Northeast Region public access recertification. It's on their web-site. We are going up on March 12. Time to "brush up" on some commands that Orson is just fine with but us humans are a little rusty on. This time they are doing the testing at the mall at 10:30 AM.

Nice and early for testing, a quick visit at the campus and still home at a reasonable time. But they are offering the dorms for people who might need to stay over.

At our last workshop, anyone who came to the workshop was observed by the trainers and was given an automatic recertification! Loved it!

Good luck with your testing......You're such a pro, and "Orson" will pick up on your positive vibes and be a perfect boy!

Quam: You and I live in a parallel world......exactly the same type of responses and questions [i absolutely hate it when someone says, "what's wrong with you?" And, I do exactly what you do in the bathrooms![/b]

Yeah, I can't even imagine asking somebody, "What's wrong with you?" so just can't get over that some ppl actually ask it!!

wizard-of-roz "I get to the entrance to the ladies room and this woman [dressed in a black dress, with a little white apron (obviously the restroom attendant) who is supposed to open the door for the guests] takes one look at my big, black, four-legged partner and lets out a scream, so loud that two bartenders come running along with a herd of guests, just to check out just who's being molested...............there I am, with my hand outstretched trying to calm her down and explaining that Brenda is a working dog and she doesn't have to be afraid of her..........The woman is now leaning against the wall, outside the bathroom; there are people all around her..........and, poor Brenny; people who hadn't seen her before are now seeing her; some wanting to pet her; some asking me question after question about her and what she does and, there's the folks who are fanning this poor distraught woman."

Oh Roz, I'm glad you could handle that with such poise! Similar thing happened to me with my first service dog about ten years ago, a woman came into a public rest room and I said from my stall that I had my service dog with me and she said "oh ok" but still chose the stall next to me. She then bent down to get into her purse on the floor (yuck!) and must have looked over toward my stall - eye to eye with Maxine when she was getting into the purse and let out one of those embarrassing screams, and yes, security and everyone else came running in as well...

But I've also had it turn around on me, three years ago at an Olive Garden, a toddler started yelling "doggie, doggie" and scrambled underneath the bathroom wall into our stall and his mom just got his foot at the last second. My friend waiting in line was laughing so hard I thought she was going to pee her pants. Thankfully nothing like that has never happened again.

(I also like to be a blend into the scenery person, I'd rather hear on the way out of the movies or dinner "Oh I never knew there was a dog in here this whole time" comment...). Hope your evening settled down a little. I've been re-reading a lot of your earlier posts.

Our next cruise, in November, will be my new service dog's first cruise so I'm brushing up on some of the tips for NCL's cruise line as we've never been on it before. So far they've been the most difficult of the three we've worked with for disability services so we'll see how it goes.

Hi, LighthouseGirl!

What difficulties are you having with NCL? That stinks!

That's funny about the toddler going under the stall yelling, "Doggy!" I'm glad the mother caught her!

But, yeah, eww about the lady putting her purse on the floor of the bathroom!!! Even if you don't put your purse on that floor, purses are soooo germy just from being out in public places as it is. I can't imagine how much more germy they are after the bathroom floor! Yuck!!! (And, yes, I'm sure our dogs' harnesses/packs/vests/whatever you use are also just as germy as the typical purse....)

Edited by Quampapetet

Potty Talk: OK, not really, but don't we all have stories of bathrooms and our service dogs. I still remember a few years ago with a handsome boy named "Pele"! The handicapped stall was full and after waiting a few minutes, I decided we needed to go. So me and Pele and my too tight jeans go into a regular stall. I don't remember what I did with my purse, but am pretty sure I didn't put it on the floor. Next thing I hear a young child calling out "mommy, look, doggy!.... Pele and I try our best to keep composed. OK, really me, Pele was fabulous. We finsihed, went out washed our hand and paws and escaped!!!!!!:D:D:D:D

Pele went out into the big world as a therpy dog instead of service. Poor boy, has to listen to children read to him every day. What a tough life. :)

DKD, We are so excited to hear you're going to be at CCI on March 12th, cuz thats when we are going!!!! We will be staying in the dorms. It will be great to meet you and your family. :D

Cindy

Edited by rangeley

Cracker's trainer has approved a visit to the Children's Hospital next week. He made many trips when he was 4 and 5 months old, but has not been in 4 months. He probably still won't wear his pack as he has some issues with it, but I am hoping to make it a super fun outing for him. I know the kids and staff will love him. He has grown into such a handsome dog. I'lll get him on Saturday and he gets to be my valentine on sunday. I didn't get him on christmas or new years, so let's home pink and red will be his colors.

I'll let y'all know.

Our next cruise, in November, will be my new service dog's first cruise so I'm brushing up on some of the tips for NCL's cruise line as we've never been on it before. So far they've been the most difficult of the three we've worked with for disability services so we'll see how it goes.

Lighthouse Girl: Hi! And, welcome! Your stories were hysterically funny, at least for us, they were. I know at the time there's nothing funny about them. But, we who travel with Service Dog's totally get all the "stuff" that comes with doing that.

NCL has the "potty box" thing down pat. It's the best box we've ever had, ever! We had a handicapped cabin and the box was located in a "closet" 3 doors down the hall from our cabin. It was a room where the mops/brooms and other cleaning stuff were kept.

The box was 4x5; filled with mulch on a heavy plastic liner. The mulch was filled about 6 inches from the top so it made for a really nice comfort zone for Brenny. The only problem we encountered one late evening was that someone had locked this room and that caused a bit of a panic. I immediately went to our cabin and called the Purser's Desk demanding that someone show-up within the next 10 minutes to unlock it and keep it that way.

The rest of the cruise was perfect for Brenda.

We didn't like the furnishings or garish painting/colors on the ship. The food wasn't bad but buffet area was so "school cafeteria" feeling. My DH likes to graze in the buffet area so it does become a place of choice for many meals.

I would consider NCL again for cruising, if the place and price were right.

We're sticking mainly to Princess and Carnival for right now. They've got Brenda's needs down to a science and that makes the "cruising thing" so much more fun and easy.

Please tell us all about your cruise and keep-on writing. :)

Cracker's trainer has approved a visit to the Children's Hospital next week. He made many trips when he was 4 and 5 months old, but has not been in 4 months. He probably still won't wear his pack as he has some issues with it, but I am hoping to make it a super fun outing for him. I know the kids and staff will love him. He has grown into such a handsome dog. I'lll get him on Saturday and he gets to be my valentine on sunday. I didn't get him on christmas or new years, so let's home pink and red will be his colors.

I'll let y'all know.

Yay! Pink and Red are so pretty on these dogs. Brenny has a Pink and Red Valentine collar with hearts on it. So cute!

Have fun with him!

We wish we could go to the graduation, but it's just to far away for us to go. We were hoping to see our puppy raisers in March, but they are busy. Maybe sometime this summer.

Cindy

Awwwww! I was hoping you'd come back and tell us all about meeting each other.

You guys are all so lucky to have active and caring Puppyraisers......I feel like Brenny was "Adopted" from people who thought they'd try Puppyraising but just don't care about her anymore! She get enough love from PaPa and I and my friends and family to make-up for these losers!!!!!!

Oooops! Sorry, I don't mean to say it like it is so much! But it's true! :(

That's great Cindy. We are looking forward to meeting you all.

We are also trying to go to the graduation this coming Saturday. Orson's puppy raisers are turning in the pup they have been raising for advanced training. It's will be nice to catch up with them.

Have fun! I love Graduations. I NEVER get away without crying!!!! ;) .....And, again good luck with re-cert.

I got my service dog's health certificate endorsed by the USDA office yesterday. It was easy-peasy - just hand them the paperwork and sit in the waiting room for a few minutes while they check it over. Then they hand it back to you signed and stamped (an embossed type stamp, not an ink stamp like I'd been expecting - it doesn't really show up well on the photocopy I made in order to fax it) and you're on your way! (It is free when you show them proof of your dog being your service dog, which is nice ... especially since my vet just put up the prices again for 2010 [i paid $2.50 less to walk into the exam room and $5 less for the health certificate in December than I did this week!].)

We got to the USDA office about twenty-five minutes early for the appointment (gave ourselves extra travel time in case we couldn't find the place even with GPS or if there was traffic on the way), but they took the paperwork right away and we were out of there before the appointment time, which was nice! So, yup, not at all as "scary" as it sounds (dealing with a gov't agency and all...). ;)

Roz, DKD and us will still meet in March, just not at the graduation. I'm sorry that you have crappy puppy raisers (did I say that). Ours are awesome. They gave us the disk with 400+ pictures, (which they had him dressed up for every occasion) and favorite toys he liked. We will definately keep in touch and will see them when we can. I'm sure this summer we will get together somehow. Don't forget they also have a son who got a dog in the class before us, so the dogs know eachother too! John always kept in touch with Rangeleys puppy raisers too. In fact he emailed them as soon as we got Wex. We know how important puppy raisers are and what special people they are. When you graduate they give you the puppy raisers info and it's up to the recipent whether they want to keep in touch or not. Next month John will be speaking at the puppy raiser info day. I understand it's to try to get people to volunteer to puppy raise or just help out. That should be fun.

Quam, I am so happy you finally got the USDA health certificate. Now you can work on getting your permit for Grand Turk. When are you leaving??? And where else are you going?

Cindy

I got my service dog's health certificate endorsed by the USDA office yesterday. It was easy-peasy - just hand them the paperwork and sit in the waiting room for a few minutes while they check it over. Then they hand it back to you signed and stamped (an embossed type stamp, not an ink stamp like I'd been expecting - it doesn't really show up well on the photocopy I made in order to fax it) and you're on your way! (It is free when you show them proof of your dog being your service dog, which is nice ... especially since my vet just put up the prices again for 2010 [i paid $2.50 less to walk into the exam room and $5 less for the health certificate in December than I did this week!].)

We got to the USDA office about twenty-five minutes early for the appointment (gave ourselves extra travel time in case we couldn't find the place even with GPS or if there was traffic on the way), but they took the paperwork right away and we were out of there before the appointment time, which was nice! So, yup, not at all as "scary" as it sounds (dealing with a gov't agency and all...). ;)

Quam: Yey! Sounds great. I love when things go smoothly and without all the red tape and time that usually goes with government agencies.

Have you asked your Vet's office to keep his prices the same [because your dog is a Service Dog] for you? It's worth a try.

I was speaking with a gal in the grocery store, the other day, who was obviously having difficulty picking things up off the floor.......[i actually asked Brenda to assist her], she was so grateful....I asked her why she didn't have a Service Dog and she replied, "I can't afford one!" When I told her CCI doesn't charge for the dog, she went on to say, "I know I could get one but I can't afford the Vet bills!" What could I say?

It just doesn't seem right that folks who need these dogs are dollared to death on Vet bills. I know there's breaks from belonging to IAADP on some stuff......but if your dog needs med's or just the office visit for a physical can be outrageous and God forbid they need surgery.

I wonder if I called CCI and something really horrible was wrong and she needed a very expensive surgical procedure, could I bring her to one of their Clinic's? They are a non-profit and I believe that they would expect that YOU be able to take care of ALL of your SD's needs and, of course, we have.

I haven't asked about it but I bet there are "special" funds set aside for people who need one of these dogs and can not afford vet costs.

Does anyone know more about how this may be handled?

When people, like the lady in the market tell me that they can't afford the Vet care.....I want to be able to give them a good answer.

I should have asked this at our workshop.

Roz, DKD and us will still meet in March, just not at the graduation. I'm sorry that you have crappy puppy raisers (did I say that). Ours are awesome. They gave us the disk with 400+ pictures, (which they had him dressed up for every occasion) and favorite toys he liked. We will definately keep in touch and will see them when we can. I'm sure this summer we will get together somehow. Don't forget they also have a son who got a dog in the class before us, so the dogs know eachother too! John always kept in touch with Rangeleys puppy raisers too. In fact he emailed them as soon as we got Wex. We know how important puppy raisers are and what special people they are. When you graduate they give you the puppy raisers info and it's up to the recipent whether they want to keep in touch or not. Next month John will be speaking at the puppy raiser info day. I understand it's to try to get people to volunteer to puppy raise or just help out. That should be fun.

Quam, I am so happy you finally got the USDA health certificate. Now you can work on getting your permit for Grand Turk. When are you leaving??? And where else are you going?

Cindy

Cindy: STOP! I could cry when I think of all the wonderful moments that Brenny's Puppy Raisers had with her and they didn't bother to take pictures of her. After one of the trainers, at CCI insisted that they find some pictures to give me......they did send me about 8 pictures of her swimming in the Sacramento river and one with her holding a toilet brush in her mouth [they probably had her scrubbing their toilets, too] and a few of her laying on the grass......but that's it!

I write them every Christmas and Easter and send pictures of her onboard her cruises. At first, for the first 3 years, they would write a brief letter back and then, for the past 4 years they don't even do that!

I'm so grateful to them for taking care of her and helping to teach her to be the wonderful girl she is......but, geeezzzz, she's even more wonderful as a senior dog and don't they want to know that?

I suspect there's something going on in their lives that takes presidence over this amazing dog that shared many, many months with them......there's something that CCI is not sharing with me because when I asked the Graduate Dept. about them.....they look at each other and change the subject.

Honestly, I get great joy in hearing all of yours and others wonderful stories about your Puppy Raisers.

Brenny's mine, heart and soul. I feel as if I've known her all my life. As if she's been with me since I was a child.....very strange, this bond between a dog and a person.

Quam: Yey! Sounds great. I love when things go smoothly and without all the red tape and time that usually goes with government agencies.

Have you asked your Vet's office to keep his prices the same [because your dog is a Service Dog] for you? It's worth a try.

I was speaking with a gal in the grocery store, the other day, who was obviously having difficulty picking things up off the floor.......[i actually asked Brenda to assist her], she was so grateful....I asked her why she didn't have a Service Dog and she replied, "I can't afford one!" When I told her CCI doesn't charge for the dog, she went on to say, "I know I could get one but I can't afford the Vet bills!" What could I say?

It just doesn't seem right that folks who need these dogs are dollared to death on Vet bills. I know there's breaks from belonging to IAADP on some stuff......but if your dog needs med's or just the office visit for a physical can be outrageous and God forbid they need surgery.

I wonder if I called CCI and something really horrible was wrong and she needed a very expensive surgical procedure, could I bring her to one of their Clinic's? They are a non-profit and I believe that they would expect that YOU be able to take care of ALL of your SD's needs and, of course, we have.

I haven't asked about it but I bet there are "special" funds set aside for people who need one of these dogs and can not afford vet costs.

Does anyone know more about how this may be handled?

When people, like the lady in the market tell me that they can't afford the Vet care.....I want to be able to give them a good answer.

I should have asked this at our workshop.

Canine Assistance will provide after care including vet bills if needed for their recepients. CCI might very well have something in place as well. Caring for a dog, even a pet, is very expensive. Probably why so many dogs are up for adoption. Of course if recepients can handle those costs, so much the better, as that $$ then goes to training. But, they will even help with food costs. So I guess to answer the question, I would advise a search of all service dogs groups. I know that the Delta Society(I'll check for their address) has a listing of many service dog groups.

Edited by sunshine426