Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I agree, this past weekend I went to Petsmart to get a few supplies for my newer fish tank and Blitz made more friends; including one woman who was deathly afraid of German Shepherds. All it took was one small kiss from Blitz and he won her over; he is a huge champion for his breed in this area. While I was speaking with the first woman another couple walked by and just stopped and listened about Blitz. After I was finished speaking the couple made some idle chat and then the boyfriend or husband asked a question about Blitz's teeth. His teeth are really white and its due to the kongs with all the chewing on them to get his treats; or so I believe. So the man asked how I kepts Blitz's teeth so clean and what made them so white. I sometime should think before I answer, I told him "I let Blitz chew on small childrens leg bones and thats how they stay so clean". I have a poker face when I say that then after a few nervous seconds I tell them I'm joking. The first lady who hates German Sheherds looked at me in horror until I said I was joking. I made sure all knew I was joking before everyone left; Oh the good times......

You are TOO funny! :D Roxie has really white teeth, too. I think it's the Milkbone she has every morning, but if you don't mind I may use your answer next time I'm asked! ;)

You are TOO funny! :D Roxie has really white teeth, too. I think it's the Milkbone she has every morning, but if you don't mind I may use your answer next time I'm asked! ;)

Boy, that answer might take some notice with a Doberman or a German Shepherd.....but, a Lab....No own would believe it!!!!

Just checking in. Memorial Service for MIL on Tuesday...Friday out of town company arrives...Saturday...Life Celebration for my sweet "mom". Sunday...everyone leaves and I break down...People keep telling me to be strong for Rich and I wonder who is being strong for me. Apparently over 90% of the staff and residence of the Assisted Living Facility thought I was her daughter not DIL! Which I love....But, my heart is still filled with sadness.

On the otherhand, yesterday was a double dog day. I took both Cooler and Mackey out on outings. Simple, just playtime on agility and errands to Walmart. A simple outing for Cooler, except once again, no one could pat her, she had to pay 100% attention on me(and the girl can be distracted by low hanging garments and stuffed animals). Still, a very fun outing. Her trainer and I are going to really work on her "forging", because otherwise she is doing perfectly and should graduate in November.

Mackey...just charming....he is confident, has staminia and so cute. He gains more and more confidence on the big dog play ground...ready to get out of the kiddie pool for sure, and did so well on a nice long walmart tour. Of course, he is so young that he get's lots of pats. I'm not sure whose tail wags more...Mackey...or the people I allow to pat. Then a restaurant break. After a few times climbing on my lap (which I ignored) he settled down on the floor for a nice nap, while I sipped a diet coke and answered questions.

OK>>>>when is Cindy and John's cruise...and any suggestions for a 7 day on Sept 24. Rich and I have a very small window. Otherwise, I'll be planning something as soon as I get my new passport!!!!

Just checking in. Memorial Service for MIL on Tuesday...Friday out of town company arrives...Saturday...Life Celebration for my sweet "mom". Sunday...everyone leaves and I break down...People keep telling me to be strong for Rich and I wonder who is being strong for me. Apparently over 90% of the staff and residence of the Assisted Living Facility thought I was her daughter not DIL! Which I love....But, my heart is still filled with sadness.

On the otherhand, yesterday was a double dog day. I took both Cooler and Mackey out on outings. Simple, just playtime on agility and errands to Walmart. A simple outing for Cooler, except once again, no one could pat her, she had to pay 100% attention on me(and the girl can be distracted by low hanging garments and stuffed animals). Still, a very fun outing. Her trainer and I are going to really work on her "forging", because otherwise she is doing perfectly and should graduate in November.

Mackey...just charming....he is confident, has staminia and so cute. He gains more and more confidence on the big dog play ground...ready to get out of the kiddie pool for sure, and did so well on a nice long walmart tour. Of course, he is so young that he get's lots of pats. I'm not sure whose tail wags more...Mackey...or the people I allow to pat. Then a restaurant break. After a few times climbing on my lap (which I ignored) he settled down on the floor for a nice nap, while I sipped a diet coke and answered questions.

OK>>>>when is Cindy and John's cruise...and any suggestions for a 7 day on Sept 24. Rich and I have a very small window. Otherwise, I'll be planning something as soon as I get my new passport!!!!

You took great care and were "there" for your MIL.....Life is just not fair. It's so short and, can be very sad.....I'm sorry.

Thank goodness you're filling your days with the furbabies and their antics.

Cindy's cruise is on January 8 - 15th.

September 24th is the Sapphire Princess, California Coastal. San Francisco, Santa Barbara, San Diego & Ensenada. If I don't go to Team Training I'm all booked for it. If I make it into TT, it will start on Sept. 18, with graduation on Sept. 30th. My TA will plead, on my behalf and see if Princess can move this cruise to another date.

Of course, I booked another one, anyway.....for March 24, 2012. If I don't have a cruise in the works.......I get withdrawls.

Um. just me or isn't San Francisco, Santa Barbara, San Diego and Esenada Beaches? South is always sunny, granted San francisco and Santa Barbara may not be "hot" but will be sunny!

It's what I was thinking.......but, maybe he wants "humidity" with his hot & sunny beaches!!!!! :eek:

New Orleans, hot, humid and Bourbon Street. I have had to make changes in my plans. I just found out recently my son is increasing his family by one more (2 legged not 4, lol) so I will be a super (added for effect) grand daddy X2 in March. So I am now putting off my trip to Calif till March with Blitz. Currently I am catching up on my bills and I hope to have enough saved up to do a cruise soon enough.

It was mentioned a few pages ago about a joint cruise. Is this still something everyone is thinking about? I get loads of emails from PCL and Carnival advertising. I have yet to do a cruise, yet from reading here it appears to have the same attraction as tattoos. Once you do one, you continue with more. I am still hesitant since it is something out of my comfort zone, especially most recently with the ingrown bone spurs (damn things hurt more than my usual pains).

Off subject as a suvivor of Camile, Katrina and many unknown Hurricanes for those on the East Coast from Fla to maine please prepare for Irene. Even if it skirts the coast heavy damage could happen. Fill those gas tanks and for the rest of us buy gas today before Wall Street raisies the price at the pumps because thats what speculators have done since Katrina.

Edited by guitarest

New Orleans, hot, humid and Bourbon Street. I have had to make changes in my plans. I just found out recently my son is increasing his family by one more (2 legged not 4, lol) so I will be a super (added for effect) grand daddy X2 in March. So I am now putting off my trip to Calif till March with Blitz. Currently I am catching up on my bills and I hope to have enough saved up to do a cruise soon enough.

It was mentioned a few pages ago about a joint cruise. Is this still something everyone is thinking about? I get loads of emails from PCL and Carnival advertising. I have yet to do a cruise, yet from reading here it appears to have the same attraction as tattoos. Once you do one, you continue with more. I am still hesitant since it is something out of my comfort zone, especially most recently with the ingrown bone spurs (damn things hurt more than my usual pains).

Off subject as a suvivor of Camile, Katrina and many unknown Hurricanes for those on the East Coast from Fla to maine please prepare for Irene. Even if it skirts the coast heavy damage could happen. Fill those gas tanks and for the rest of us buy gas today before Wall Street raisies the price at the pumps because thats what speculators have done since Katrina.

Congratulations on your new grandbaby! There's just nothing better than watching our children taking care of their own children.

I love cruising with Brenda and hope to do a lot more of it with "Successor!"

The first time Brenda cruised it was so much fun watching her face and seeing her lean her head over the rails and peer down into the water. And, watching her wafting her nose in the air to capture all of the fabulous smells of the ocean is pure joy.

When you're ready to take the "plunge" and book your cruise we'll all be happy to give you the in's and out's of doing it. Once you've taught your dog to potty in a 4x4 box the rest is easy.

There's lots of walking onboard a cruise ship. So you may want to think about renting a scooter to avoid those "painful" days. The scooter is delivered to your cabin before you arrive and you just leave it there when you leave.

You're so right about cruising being habit forming......It's just the easiest and most enjoyable form of vacationing around.

Saw this on the Carnival board and thought of you all and your amazing animals.

I'm not sure I am allowed to post a link or not, but this military man gave his life and the story is sad, but the dog at the funeral just adds to it...what loyalty and love. I could learn so much from that dog.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/44271018/ns/today-today_pets_and_animals/?GT1=43001

And then I found a video: http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/national_world&id=8327490

Saw this on the Carnival board and thought of you all and your amazing animals.

And then I found a video: http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/national_world&id=8327490

This bring so much pain to my heart seeing this as a vet; and as a father of children who are also in the military. In years in the Military I had a chance to meet many and also go on exercises with many snake eaters (what we call then, Special Operations and Special Forces all Branches of the US Military). I have become a close friend to many and these individuals are highly motivated and very much alive and enjoy life to its fullest everyday. I have lost many friends in the Military also to include a friend who was a Chinook pilot that was brought down the same way in Desert Storm (91).

This picture does show a dogs devotion towards his master, and I would not have been able to attend this or any service. This is because of my emotions of being in the military and experiencing some things that we should never experience. I fear that my son who still has orders will be leaving for Afgan in a few short months. I salute all those who have ever served in the Military and hope to make it to Las Vegas for the Veterans Day Parade.

This is my son in the middle.

n1284780427_30110916_9900.jpg

Just a quick change of subject, this is a program I run in South Mississippi for my Brothers and Sisters who have the need for a special friend. My name has not been added to the website yet, although it should be soon enough. The VA is currently doing a investigation to hopefully make this a program VA wide.

Edited by guitarest

Well Roz, today is the day! I can imagine you will be anticipating the long awaited call. We are crossing our fingers and Wex is crossing his paws! Please let us know what happens.

It's the calm before the storm today so we are going to the pool, probably for the last time this summer. We don't usually get to many hurricanes and we are not looking forward to it. I don't think we will get a direct hit, but I understand we are on the side of the storm that gets all the wind, not great. So we will hunker down as they say and hopefully have a fairly quiet weekend before John goes back to school on Monday (just teachers go back this week).

Sunshine, To bad you and Rich are looking to cruise in Sept. We would love for you to meet Wexler. And Wex would be honored to meet such a dedicated, caring, loving person like yourself.

This bring so much pain to my heart seeing this as a vet; and as a father of children who are also in the military. In years in the Military I had a chance to meet many and also go on exercises with many snake eaters (what we call then, Special Operations and Special Forces all Branches of the US Military). I have become a close friend to many and these individuals are highly motivated and very much alive and enjoy life to its fullest everyday. I have lost many friends in the Military also to include a friend who was a Chinook pilot that was brought down the same way in Desert Storm (91).

This picture does show a dogs devotion towards his master, and I would not have been able to attend this or any service. This is because of my emotions of being in the military and experiencing some things that we should never experience. I fear that my son who still has orders will be leaving for Afgan in a few short months. I salute all those who have ever served in the Military and hope to make it to Las Vegas for the Veterans Day Parade.

This is my son in the middle.

n1284780427_30110916_9900.jpg

Just a quick change of subject, this is a program I run in South Mississippi for my Brothers and Sisters who have the need for a special friend. My name has not been added to the website yet, although it should be soon enough. The VA is currently doing a investigation to hopefully make this a program VA wide.

Very handsome boy! Men in uniform.......Yummy!!!!!!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Well Roz, today is the day! I can imagine you will be anticipating the long awaited call. We are crossing our fingers and Wex is crossing his paws! Please let us know what happens.

It's the calm before the storm today so we are going to the pool, probably for the last time this summer. We don't usually get to many hurricanes and we are not looking forward to it. I don't think we will get a direct hit, but I understand we are on the side of the storm that gets all the wind, not great. So we will hunker down as they say and hopefully have a fairly quiet weekend before John goes back to school on Monday (just teachers go back this week).

Sunshine, To bad you and Rich are looking to cruise in Sept. We would love for you to meet Wexler. And Wex would be honored to meet such a dedicated, caring, loving person like yourself.

Cindy......I'm waiting, I'm waiting, I'm waiting!!!!!! I have a stomach ache from waiting....but, I don't want to leave my desk for any reason, on the chance that I'll miss the phone call! Did I tell you, I'm waiting!!!!:o

Cindy, I hope that you all will be fine with this storm.

Cindy......I'm waiting, I'm waiting, I'm waiting!!!!!! I have a stomach ache from waiting....but, I don't want to leave my desk for any reason, on the chance that I'll miss the phone call! Did I tell you, I'm waiting!!!!:o
Nancy, like I told Cindy; I'M WAITING!!!!!! :o

I'll let you know if and when I get the word!!!!!!!

I hope they don't forget that I'M WAITING!!!!!!

Thanks....did I tell you that, I'M WAITING!!!!! :o

Roz, you have the patience of a saint! ;)