Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I am relieved to hear that our East Coast posters all seem to have come thru Irene well. And of course, taking a few moments to remember "Katrina" and the aftermath.

Had some fun doggy times last week that perked me up. Wish I could manage to post pictures, you guys would love seeing "Mackey" He is growing up beautifully. Still a whole lot of puppy, but, you can see the dog he will be.

I guess one of us is going to have to visit you and show you how to post pics on here. You know how much we love seeing doggie pics!

We are still waiting roz!!!

Oh Gawd, Cindy.......ME TOO!!!! I called CCI on Friday [the day I was supposed to get the call] and, then all heck broke loose back east [with the hurricane] and now I'm here, at work, waiting for the darn phone call again.

I also have a cruise that needs to either be cancelled/moved or taken. If Megan would just call me and tell me "yay or nay!" On their message machine it says that sometimes it takes a day or two to call back because they're busy, in the field, with the dogs.......I'm going to give them until tomorrow afternoon and then I'm going to call them again.

Boy, when they see me in person [Team Training], I'll have to wear a disquise so they don't beat me up for being such a pest or, the dog that they decide is perfect for me will be a Rotweiller!!!!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

More East Coasters coming on board!! So glad things are going better than expected. It is so much better to be prepared for the worst. Now, I am waiting to hear how the Long Island CCI dogs are doing and of coure the PHONE CALL!

As someone who works with SD's in training, I would be so honored to have a dog I work with go on to live with all of you. Bless everyone, I'm off to care for a sick husband...He would not slow down after his mom dies and I think God had a hand in sending a little viral infection our way.

Mackey is home tomorow and then I am taking an older dog on Marta to the airport. Cooler has been so many times, that her trainer wants another dog that has not had as many advanced outings to go with me.

CCI CALLED: It's a boy!!!!!!! That's all they would tell me about the dog. He's also very stubborn and refuses to learn some of his commands and they don't think he'll be ready by September 18th.

Listen to this: They're creating a "Private Class" for me and "Successor" and two trainers for the week of December 5th - December 11th. They feel he'll be ready by then. It will be intense. Early in the morning until 6:00pm. I asked if they've done this before.....she said yes! I've never heard of it.

I won't be in a class for two weeks, I won't have a graduation ceremony, it'll be just me and the dog and the trainers. Living in the Dorm, by myself! They'll hand me my dog after 6 days of intense training and familiarzation; with a trip to the mall, lots of commands and waahlah.....we're done!!!!!

I asked what color he was, I asked what his name was and she said she couldn't tell me!!!!!! She said; "just in case it doesn't work-out, they'll have a "back-up" dog!"

So, Brenda and I get to cruise on September 24th......Yippeee!!!!!! I'm very happy about that!!!!

Thank you all for being THERE for me and [as usual] and for being such a great support system......I have to start practicing my "good boys" instead of "good girls!" I love male dogs!

I'm getting excited now!!!!!!

More East Coasters coming on board!! So glad things are going better than expected. It is so much better to be prepared for the worst. Now, I am waiting to hear how the Long Island CCI dogs are doing and of coure the PHONE CALL!

As someone who works with SD's in training, I would be so honored to have a dog I work with go on to live with all of you. Bless everyone, I'm off to care for a sick husband...He would not slow down after his mom dies and I think God had a hand in sending a little viral infection our way.

Mackey is home tomorow and then I am taking an older dog on Marta to the airport. Cooler has been so many times, that her trainer wants another dog that has not had as many advanced outings to go with me.

Sunshine, I hope hubby is feeling better soon. I asked about CCI on Long Island and was told that the dogs and humans are all safe and sound. Great news!!!!

I'm so excited about December and my upcoming opportunity for a new dog in our lives. Brenda will love it. I have no idea what my dog looks like except that it's a boy and he's having some issues with a few commands and they don't think he'll be ready for the September class. They feel that the extra 3 months will do him good and CCI know's much better than me what works best for the dogs.

I can wait.......it gives me time to prepare myself and to spend some quality time with my girl. Brenda has given me so much, I could NEVER repay her, NEVER!!!!!

I have no idea what my dog looks like except that it's a boy and he's having some issues with a few commands

Like sit, stay, and no; lol................

Well the apartment complex made another offer and I spoke with a good friend of mine who is a attorney and I accepted the offer. HUD is writing it up as I type this message and it should be in my email tomorrow some time and check in hand by Friday. Its been a long year and this has just dragged out and it put a huge strain on me and stress on the entire family. Blitz looks relieved now that this is finished.

I very happy Irene wasn't a huge issue like it could have been. It looks like VT is the only state that eally got slammed with rain, or more so than most. I think its sad many of those historic bridges got damaged during the storm.

Hope everyone had a enjoyable weekend.

Sunshine, I hope hubby is feeling better soon. I asked about CCI on Long Island and was told that the dogs and humans are all safe and sound. Great news!!!!

I'm so excited about December and my upcoming opportunity for a new dog in our lives. Brenda will love it. I have no idea what my dog looks like except that it's a boy and he's having some issues with a few commands and they don't think he'll be ready for the September class. They feel that the extra 3 months will do him good and CCI know's much better than me what works best for the dogs.

I can wait.......it gives me time to prepare myself and to spend some quality time with my girl. Brenda has given me so much, I could NEVER repay her, NEVER!!!!!

We are so very happy for you. I bet you can hardly wait and "over the moon." Wow, what a Christmas Present!!!:):p

Crackers graduation caught me by surprize. I thought he had at least 2-4 months more training (as happened to the rest of the dogs in his litter), but the right person just came along at the right time. Now he lives in sunny California with a little girl. Hoping he is still making her life easier.

Cooler I would have bet $$ would have graduated in July. Young, but so smart. Totally knows all her advanced commands, very hard working, but still immature and can have a short attention span at times. So she has until November to polish those advanced commands and grow up on her attention span...I think God must have a special person ready for her...just waiting for the right combination.

I think that is what is happening with Roz. They had identified a great match. Now, just polishing that dog to a shine... (I think it will be a great big golden myself) and Roz and Brenny get to go on that last cruise....wish I could join them.

We are so very happy for you. I bet you can hardly wait and "over the moon." Wow, what a Christmas Present!!!:):p

Thank you so much.......Yes, this will be the best present ever!!!!!! Of course, next to Brenda that is!

To go back into the markets, department stores and other places that Brenda started to refuse......Just in time for the holiday's!!!!

Crackers graduation caught me by surprize. I thought he had at least 2-4 months more training (as happened to the rest of the dogs in his litter), but the right person just came along at the right time. Now he lives in sunny California with a little girl. Hoping he is still making her life easier.

Cooler I would have bet $$ would have graduated in July. Young, but so smart. Totally knows all her advanced commands, very hard working, but still immature and can have a short attention span at times. So she has until November to polish those advanced commands and grow up on her attention span...I think God must have a special person ready for her...just waiting for the right combination.

I think that is what is happening with Roz. They had identified a great match. Now, just polishing that dog to a shine... (I think it will be a great big golden myself) and Roz and Brenny get to go on that last cruise....wish I could join them.

Me too! I wish you would! Yes, you're right the dogs have a time when they're ready and mine is still being cooked! I'm so happy and so thrilled that soon I'll have this amazing dog to share our lives with us.

Thank you for being who you are and for ALWAYS bringing tears to my eyes!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Me too! I wish you would! Yes, you're right the dogs have a time when they're ready and mine is still being cooked! I'm so happy and so thrilled that soon I'll have this amazing dog to share our lives with us.

Thank you for being who you are and for ALWAYS bringing tears to my eyes!

And, I do hope you're right about the Golden......But, if he's as beautiful as my Brenny I'll be okay with that too!!!!!!

You know I am a charter member of the "love a lab" club. My Sandy is a lab/golden mix and very lab like. Cooler has yellow lab all over her, even though she is also 1/2 golden, 1/2 lab. She loves mud puddles, water puddles, chasing the ball, picking up your keys, your cell phone, your remote, your $$, your laundry, ........ retriever thru and thru... and yet, the big golden's still steal my heart everytime... Go Figure...

Well the apartment complex made another offer and I spoke with a good friend of mine who is a attorney and I accepted the offer. HUD is writing it up as I type this message and it should be in my email tomorrow some time and check in hand by Friday. Its been a long year and this has just dragged out and it put a huge strain on me and stress on the entire family. Blitz looks relieved now that this is finished.

I very happy Irene wasn't a huge issue like it could have been. It looks like VT is the only state that eally got slammed with rain, or more so than most. I think its sad many of those historic bridges got damaged during the storm.

I hope everything works out for you and your apartment issue.

Blitz has no idea what's going on and why folks think he should be treated any differently than any other Service Dog and he shouldn't!

ROZ: OMG, that is great news. I'm crying like a baby! I am also laughing, you getting a male that is stubborn! I'm sure he is yellow in color! Can't wait to learn his name. Oh, I just thought, it still may be a rottweiler! LOL.

You be sure and dress Ms. Brenny all up in her "finest" collars and take a gazillion pictures of her on the cruise. Have you told her she is getting a new baby brother? I know you have and she just looked at you and said "Whatever."

Oh, but now we have to wait for 3 1/2 months, :eek:.

I think I have babbled enough.

Jocko: Glad this can be put behind you. You and Blitz can move on and realize that is was their loss, not yours.

Karen: Hope hubby is not stubborn and gets the rest he needs to get better.

Cindy: How is John doing? Other than procrastinating!

You know I am a charter member of the "love a lab" club. My Sandy is a lab/golden mix and very lab like. Cooler has yellow lab all over her, even though she is also 1/2 golden, 1/2 lab. She loves mud puddles, water puddles, chasing the ball, picking up your keys, your cell phone, your remote, your $$, your laundry, ........ retriever thru and thru... and yet, the big golden's still steal my heart everytime... Go Figure...

When I initially interviewed with CCI, 9 years ago, I was asked to walk with a huge Golden Retriever named Bracko.....He was enormous, with the most gorgeous fur/hair that I've ever seen on a dog. As I waited for the next two years [waiting for Brenda], all I dreamt about was a dog like Bracko; big, golden hair Retriever......What I received was the complete and total opposite. When the trainers handed me Brenda, I wasn't ready for her........

At first I was so disappointed and only wanted a yellow colored dog........I changed my mind after 2 weeks with Brenda and her sparkling and delightful personality. I've learned, through her, that the dog shines through......no matter what color they are!!!!!!

I totally get it! Me too!!!! ;)

ROZ: OMG, that is great news. I'm crying like a baby! I am also laughing, you getting a male that is stubborn! I'm sure he is yellow in color! Can't wait to learn his name. Oh, I just thought, it still may be a rottweiler! LOL.

You be sure and dress Ms. Brenny all up in her "finest" collars and take a gazillion pictures of her on the cruise. Have you told her she is getting a new baby brother? I know you have and she just looked at you and said "Whatever."

Oh, but now we have to wait for 3 1/2 months, :eek:.

I think I have babbled enough.

Jocko: Glad this can be put behind you. You and Blitz can move on and realize that is was their loss, not yours.

Karen: Hope hubby is not stubborn and gets the rest he needs to get better.

Cindy: How is John doing? Other than procrastinating!

Nancy, I cried too! And, yes, I told Brenny she's getting a baby brother.....I told her that I have to learn how to say, "good boy" or "atta boy" and she'll need to be patient and loving........she doesn't have to be perfect.....but, she's not allowed to growl or act mean! She just looks at me like......."okay, blondie, where's my treat!"

It's very exciting for all of us! PaPa loves the idea of having Brenny all to himself. She's great company!

CCI CALLED: It's a boy!!!!!!! That's all they would tell me about the dog. He's also very stubborn and refuses to learn some of his commands and they don't think he'll be ready by September 18th.

Listen to this: They're creating a "Private Class" for me and "Successor" and two trainers for the week of December 5th - December 11th. They feel he'll be ready by then. It will be intense. Early in the morning until 6:00pm. I asked if they've done this before.....she said yes! I've never heard of it.

I won't be in a class for two weeks, I won't have a graduation ceremony, it'll be just me and the dog and the trainers. Living in the Dorm, by myself! They'll hand me my dog after 6 days of intense training and familiarzation; with a trip to the mall, lots of commands and waahlah.....we're done!!!!!

I asked what color he was, I asked what his name was and she said she couldn't tell me!!!!!! She said; "just in case it doesn't work-out, they'll have a "back-up" dog!"

So, Brenda and I get to cruise on September 24th......Yippeee!!!!!! I'm very happy about that!!!!

Thank you all for being THERE for me and [as usual] and for being such a great support system......I have to start practicing my "good boys" instead of "good girls!" I love male dogs!

I'm getting excited now!!!!!!

OMG! OMG! OMG! Oh Roz, I'm so happy for you!!!!! Making a special class just for you? WOW I always knew you were special. :D I'm all teared up and cannot seem to find the words to all the feelings I have for you right now. I can't wait!!

Cindy

Edited by rangeley

Sunshine, Sorry to hear about Rich. He just wore himself out.

I talked to someone at CCI Long Island today and all doggies are fine. CCI has power but alot of people out in other towns out there don't. I guess alot of people didn't make it to work there today.

I'm so glad things are finally working out for you. Maybe you can finally relax.

I have been to Vermont many times and it's just beautiful. Driven over some covered bridges and was very sad to see a few go. There is not many left.

Cindy

OMG! OMG! OMG! Oh Roz, I'm so happy for you!!!!! Making a special class just for you? WOW I always knew you were special. :D I'm all teared up and cannot seem to find the words to all the feelings I have for you right now. I can't wait!!

Cindy

Thank you Cindy......Now, I'm crying too!!!!!! It's so exciting......Thank goodness I have the cruise on September 24th to fill the days for me and then there's Halloween and Thanksgiving.........I know the time will fly.......I'm so happy!!!!

Sunshine, Sorry to hear about Rich. He just wore himself out.

I talked to someone at CCI Long Island today and all doggies are fine. CCI has power but alot of people out in other towns out there don't. I guess alot of people didn't make it to work there today.

It's great news.....I worried about the dogs and puppies all weekend......It's such a relief to know that they're all doing well. Poor little things must have been scared from the horrible winds!!!!! That's some good training!!!!!

Roz, I am SO happy for you! First to finally know something solid, and second that you don't have to cancel your cruise! I know you were looking forward to this Pacific Coastal cruise. :) Yippee! Woo Hoo!

Thank you, Marcia, I'm very excited and can hardly wait until I get to meet this mysterious boy.

The only thing that will be so different is the isolation of it all. To not be in a normal class with other students and then not to be able to attend a true graduation is a bit different but CCI thinks they have the perfect dog for me [with some fine tuning] and they don't want me to wait longer than I have to. I trust them......and, waiting until December is long enough for me and Brenda!!!!

And, I get to take my cruise......what could be better than EVERYTHING coming before the end of this year!!!!!