Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Wasn't having a shot at you, some people just don't realise that when someone modifies a post the quote doesn't change.

No worries, I appreciate you pointing it out, I was at haste in my writings this morning and didn't preview my post, as I usually do! And it's a very good point to make about the quote not changing. I can't even blame Aruba for this one! LOL!

Talking about Aruba...... We went to a funeral the other day, well actually, we went to meet the funeral cortège as it arrived at the crematorium.

One of our long term puppy walkers passed away a week or so ago - he and his wife had puppy walked over 30 guide dog pups and boarded many, many more. Can you imagine so many pups!

So a few of us puppy walkers wanted to go along with our pups to pay our respects. His wife was delighted to see all the pups and came and had a doggy cuddle with each and every one of them and they put a smile on her face on a most difficult day.

Aruba was as good as gold and sat patiently waiting for the time we were there.

Edited to add: Actually I think what I should have said was "No worries Mate!" LOL!!! If I'm correct in spotting the tiny flag at the bottom of your posts!

Edited by fairbourne

I bet that really touched the family.

I should declare I don't have a service dog, doctors have spoken about it a few times, [and touch wood looks like the need may be over]. But I am a dog man, my wife and I used to breed and show and judge dogs, so I am in all honesty a bit of a lurker.

I should declare I don't have a service dog, doctors have spoken about it a few times, [and touch wood looks like the need may be over]. But I am a dog man, my wife and I used to breed and show and judge dogs, so I am in all honesty a bit of a lurker.

Well we are very happy to have you here and joining in .... The more lurkers the better! I was a bit of a lurker too until the lovely folk here inspired me to puppy walk, and I'm sure you've read all the "tails" of Aruba's puppy journey!

Yes I hope so, I think we also brought a smile to the faces of most there as they arrived to say their goodbyes to their loved ones. It's incredible what effect a dog has on folk.

Hi Roz,

I need help in finding out everything I need to be allowed to take my service animal into Mexico. I know I need a Health Certificate signed by the USDA in Sacramento 10 days before we cruise. We also need to have proof of Toby being wormed, de-ticked and flea control. I have conflicting information from different sources. Someone will tell me that I need to take a Public Access Test

Roz will be along after she gets back from her cruise. She will know more than I do but...

There is no "certified" service dog status in this country. So you do not have to have a Public Access Test (PAT) to be a service dog.

That having been said, many program trained dogs require it for the dog to be officially placed.

I haven't been through it yet, so I can only tell you what I've heard about the one given by my program. They want to ensure that the dog acts appropriate in public and tests certain situations. From walking in a grocery store with a cart, eating in a restaurant, etc., etc.

Oh, I just found a link that has a link to download what most tests entail:

http://www.assistancedogsinternational.org/standards/public-access-test/

Another item my program requires is the Good Citizenship Test, which really is just basic obedience items.

Holly

I promised you a photo of little (teeny teeny) Rupert and here he is with his new best pal Aruba. I put Piggy in as some of you may remember Aruba was Piggy-size when she came to us! Rupert will never be Piggy-size! He is so cute and he is not afraid of the big dogs at all - he had a blast with Aruba! :D Rupert is currently clothed in new born soft baby socks with holes cut out for his legs!

image.jpg5_zpsed61r1wx.jpg

Edited by fairbourne

I promised you a photo of little (teeny teeny) Rupert and here he is with his new best pal Aruba. I put Piggy in as some of you may remember Aruba was Piggy-size when she came to us! Rupert will never be Piggy-size! He is so cute and he is not afraid of the big dogs at all - he had a blast with Aruba! :D Rupert is currently clothed in new born soft baby socks with holes cut out for his legs!

image.jpg5_zpsed61r1wx.jpg

Wow! Rupert really is teeny teeny! He has similar coloring to our Pedro. Pedro is bigger though. That almost sounds too crazy to say...that another dog is smaller. Is Rupert a teacup variety? Is he also being trained for service? I know there are a lot of veterans who could use a little PTSD service dog.

When we were on the Coral Princess in February, quite a few veterans approached My DH, Bill, at the veterans get together. They wanted to know about Pedro's service. Many didn't know there were dogs for this disability.

Cindra

Welcome over here! :). If nothing else, you'll read some funny doggy stories and see some cute pups!

I hope someone will come along soon and tell you about NCL - it's not a line I've been on.

Are you also looking for information regarding accessibility for your MIL at the ports you will be visiting? Maybe if you listed the ports, someone may well have been there, even if not on NCL?

Of course, you just know that we will very soon be suggesting to your MIL that she gets a guide dog! ;):D

Hi,

Love the doggy stories. We have one our selfs but not a service dog.ImageUploadedByForums1429123648.248387.jpg.361e7bf5f4d04ebdf7604ccbe1a31c65.jpg

We are going to:

San Juan, Puerto Rico

St Thomas, American Virgin Islands

Phillipsburg, maartin

Tortola, British Virgin Island

We have found exclusions for some things which could be fun to do. We have emailed ncl to see if they are suitable for someone who's blind.

We are after any info to help make the holiday fun for us all. As it's our first cruise we aren't sure what to expect. We are departing from NY. We have been many times to NY so are comfortable with how transport, activities, etc will be. We are there for 3 days before the cruise so she can enjoy the city but again any hints and recommendations welcome.

Also any advice flying would be great.

Carole's only recently started walking with a cane even though she's been registered blind nearly 30 years. She was assessed for a dog but it was agreed she's not in the right place yet so will be reassess in a few years.

Deb.

Aaawww, have you missed your Aunty Roz? ;):D:p LOL!

As for the suggestion from the "CC Gods", I have no idea how you would do this! I've seen people have this on their roll call for everyone's information that people just click on the link from a post, but I've no idea how it's created. That would mean I think that one person would have to be responsible for it. Anyway that wouldn't really keep the information to the front, as it would get lost in the post it was in, and we would be back to people having to trawl through to find the information. Or someone would have to have the link on all of their posts?

I think we are hoping to have something at the top of the thread, like the Sticky suggestion, for easy access to information.

We could always put the link in our signatures...but I would like to see it turned into a "sticky" on the board somewhere. This way it would be easy to find and wouldn't get lost in the posts. Can you imagine looking for it on this thread? Your ship would have sailed by the time you located it. LOL

Yes, I do miss 'Auntie Roz.' When she gets back, we can run this all by her. One of us could gather the info and compile it. Everyone could participate by emailing the info to that designated person. Before you know it, a database is born for all of us to use.

I would volunteer to compile it, if someone would show me how to configure the actual database. I was thinking it could be an alphabetical list of countries. With one click on the country, a list would drop down with the requirements highlighted with bullet points. Easy to read...like an outline. Any thoughts?

Cindra

Wow! Rupert really is teeny teeny! He has similar coloring to our Pedro. Pedro is bigger though. That almost sounds too crazy to say...that another dog is smaller. Is Rupert a teacup variety? Is he also being trained for service? I know there are a lot of veterans who could use a little PTSD service dog.

When we were on the Coral Princess in February, quite a few veterans approached My DH, Bill, at the veterans get together. They wanted to know about Pedro's service. Many didn't know there were dogs for this disability.

Cindra

Yes he's a tiny teacup cross chihuahua/Chinese crested hairless something or other! I'll find out his proper breed for you. He's only 8 weeks old but I don't suppose he will grow very big! No, he's not destined to be a service dog, but he's very smart though.

Good thinking on the "sticky" - let's see what "the Boss" says when she gets back. ;):)

I hope she's having a fabulous time with her big boy Horton. :D

Yes he's a tiny teacup cross chihuahua/Chinese crested hairless something or other! I'll find out his proper breed for you. He's only 8 weeks old but I don't suppose he will grow very big! No, he's not destined to be a service dog, but he's very smart though.

Rupert definitely takes after his chihuahua parent. I would never have guessed he had any chinese crested in him. He's such a cutie!! Does he bark much? Pedro rarely makes a peep....only when someone is at the door, then only 1 bark. That's it. It's great that Rupert is not intimidated by Aruba. Does Aruba ever mistake piggy for Rupert? LOL

Rupert definitely takes after his chihuahua parent. I would never have guessed he had any chinese crested in him. He's such a cutie!! Does he bark much? Pedro rarely makes a peep....only when someone is at the door, then only 1 bark. That's it. It's great that Rupert is not intimidated by Aruba. Does Aruba ever mistake piggy for Rupert? LOL

Lurker here again.

You ain't saying cresties is ugly are you, my boy takes exception at that.

As the honorary mayor of Lurkerville I sincerely welcome you to our jolly group! We all share a love of cruising and of canines. Not to mention a genuine interest in helping out our fellowman and woman. :)

Beckie

Thank you Holly, I know here we don't need any certification which in a way is too bad. In a way. My son wants to buy a service dog vest and patch so he can take his dog anywhere and so does my niece however her dog is very wild. We have completed all the training required to call Toby a service dog. He does what I need him too however we are just working on a couple of things. But I have had some sites say I need a certificate and some say I don't. Just want a definitive answer from someone who has traveled with a service animal on a cruise ship. I am afraid I will go off ship and when we go to get back on the ship, they won't let us back because of a technicality for Toby. But thanks for responding.

Hi Honey's, We're Home!!!!!!

You've all been so busy! We have some new folks and lurkers with great ideas. Welcome aboard with us!

Host Walt, thank you so much for your response.

Hopefully, when each one of us is going cruising to various places around the world, we'll be able to answer each others questions without the "sticky note", which as you've read can't be done.

I love Rupert, he's so lucky he doesn't live near me, I'd be puppy-napping him! Congratulations Fairbourne, he's adorable!

Horty's and my cruise was eventful [and, not always in a good way] from the moment we hit the dock. No one was allowed to board the Golden Princess until after 12:30pm because there was a "surprise inspection" by the Coast Guard. I say "NONSENSE"!!!!!

The Golden Princess was going into dry dock following our cruise and in no way was it in cruising shape for over 2700 guests. This posting could go on for pages explaining my prior sentence so I'll go into more depth when I'm at work tomorrow.

The crew were "over-the-top" wonderful and solicitous [they knew that the Golden was a mess and their attitudes made up for it.] On another note, the Princess employee's who assisted us in the debarkation were the worst I have ever encountered in all my cruises. I'll tell you more about it tomorrow. Only because I was tired did I NOT start a huge stink with a moron who made Horton and I walk off and on the ship twice because she didn't know what she was doing.......I promise you, she got very lucky that I didn't knock her down with my granny cart!!!! :mad: Macarena [i promise Princess will get a letter from me about your attitude, I'm not done with you!]

Horton was the STAR of this cruise. He was his usual handsome, wonderful self. My fellow passengers were some of the nicest I've ever cruised with!

Going to Mexico is the easiest paperwork of all for our dogs. Except, in Puerto Vallarta there was a pack of strays with their puppies who we had to avoid upon walking off the ship. They were behind a fence but Horton is so big, he looks very threatening to strange dogs and I headed back to the ship to avoid them.

The Aphis form, a recent immunization record and exam from your Vet, where he states that your dog is current, in good health, on Heartguard and Advantix is all you need. You will meet with Immigration in the early morning (usually at the first port) and your good to go for the rest of the cruise and the visits to the rest of the ports. Just remember, to be very careful with the strays.

Just remember, try NEVER to take a cruise on a ship that is getting ready to go into dry dock!!!!

Lurker here again.

You ain't saying cresties is ugly are you, my boy takes exception at that.

Oh absolutely not! I love cresties!! I would love to have one. I think they are so adorable. They would also go well with our two sphynx. ;)