Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Thanks - I know I am biased, but I think my Katie is wonderful.

Congratulations on your new home and home state. What part of Fl did you move to? Was the choice to move there based at all on your cruise experiences? Let me know if you are ever in North Atlanta... you can bring your girl and both of you can get some free therapy at my office.

A Day At the Bank - a true story

by: Roz

It was a bright, clear Monday morning at work. It had rained all the week before and I never got a chance to get my monthly banking done and today looked like the perfect day to do it. As usual, my hearing dog (I am profoundly deaf on my left side and have only 50% hearing on my right) “Brenda”, who goes with me wherever I go, got into the car and off we went, about 5 miles away.

That must have been truly scary! Thank god no one was hurt.

Dianne

Hundreds of people asked, but only a few really did not believe so I offered the video evidence. Many then asked why people do not do this at home for their dogs - which I replied I do have a small portable plastic pool with cypress mulch in my garage Katie uses when the weather is rainy.

I love teaching people that service dogs are special, well behaved dogs who help people really live life again instead of merely existing. So many people only think Service Dogs are for the blind. Katie is cross trained as a Therapy Dog, so she really loves people of all types and ages. Katie really loves her jobs and it shows.

I have decided to do the same next year when we go on our Panama canal cruise. I am not subjecting my dog to extra tests or shots - if we can't get off the ship, no big deal, they are just losing out on my money. We have already decided that we are mainly going for the transit through the canal and we are prepared to just enjoy the cruise ship if it comes down to that.

Dianne

Our last cruise was the partial canal transit. Only Colombia required additional vaccinations. None of the ports required import permits or rabies titers. Which ports are on your itinerary?

Cindra

Thanks - I know I am biased, but I think my Katie is wonderful.

Congratulations on your new home and home state. What part of Fl did you move to? Was the choice to move there based at all on your cruise experiences? Let me know if you are ever in North Atlanta... you can bring your girl and both of you can get some free therapy at my office.

We moved to south part of Sarasota, and the location was familiar from many winter visits in our little RV to Oscar Scherer State Park - five miles from where we found our house! We love it here - NC was too cold.

Oh, wow, Katie is sure a cutie! :)

I had a wonderful weekend. We had an overnight "girls night" at the ranch and I got to be with Jagger. We knew I was going to stay overnight as we were planning on having wine and stuff and I live an hour away.

So they let me stay in a spare bedroom with Jagger. It was a lot of fun, and extra fun to be with Jagger. Had a lot of time with him today as we are getting the parade float ready. We participate in a couple of parades in Deland and Orange City, FL.

Plus Jagger did a really good thing this morning. While he'll bring me things constantly he's not been good at picking up items. I dropped a bag this morning and he got it for me right away! Whoopee! Jagger is a balance/brace dog, but I drop things a lot, so retrievals are a big task for me. We had a huge puppy party for that one! He was so proud of himself.

This is a video of me training Katie to turn the battery operated night light on and off in anticipation of the cruise. I have peripheral neuropathy and was worried that I might hurt myself in the dark cabin on the ship. I knew I would not want to turn the bedside lamp on and wake up my friend traveling with me each time I had to get up in the night. I purchased this dollar tree light and she caught right on, and perfected it in the next day or two.

I believe that it is important to cross train our Service Dogs to keep them happy working for us. I know the more Katie does for me the happier she is. From detecting biochemical changes in my body and alerting me before they become emergent to being super well behaved in public and at home - she makes me proud.

I'm curious, how many of you are members of the IAADP?

I read up on the organization, and Pedro meets all of their qualifications for membership, so I will scan his certificates into the computer and email them over, probably this weekend.

We are members.

Oh wow....that story is just incredible! Brenda was amazing and I know still in your heart. And like others...that story gave me chills.

She's the reason I went back into life......She's the reason I kept my job.......She's the reason I wasn't afraid to continue to travel and try cruising. She made me brave and gave me courage......I will ALWAYS be grateful to her and I will always adore her!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Katie, Medical Alert Service Dog, 50 lbs, 8 years old, English Pointer.

This is where she took care of her business... Deck 7, Aft, Starboard Side. These are videos of both urination and defecation while sailing as that was the number one question guest asked....

Urination

Defecating

I hope this video helps clear up the questions service dog handlers have about what the 'relief area' is like on this ship. The entire process was wonderful with Royal Caribbean.

Good job Katie.! Yep, that's what it looks like. I prefer the box be put in a stairwell, out of the elements, and close to my cabin. Was it close to your cabin?

Thanks for sharing the video.

These were taken on Royal Caribbean's Majesty of the Seas 4 night Bahamas Cruise Nov 9 thru Nov 13, 2015. It was formal night so I had Katie in her dress, but I did not plan on being in the pictures as we were returning to Nassau. The ship background photo I had to hold her as she was too short for the scene. The staircase photo she was not holding her head up high so I asked her for a kiss - but the photographer took the picture anyway. Then two are of Katie getting off the ship in Nassau and riding the tender back to the ship from CoCoCay, Bahamas. The towel animal our stateroom attendant made was a bunny rabbit. Katie climbed up and was smelling it.

Bobbi, you gave Katie your middle name. How cute is that!!!!

Thank you for sharing the wonderful pictures of you and your girl. You make cruising look like exactly what it's supposed to look like when traveling with your Service Dog. PERFECT!!! ♥ ♥ ♥

Katie interrupted a burglary in progress the night before this video in our office complex. The person taking this video with my telephone is a dentist (for humans) and wanted to show his staff a dog getting her teeth brushed.

Loved it! Horton loves getting his teeth brushed too!

I have decided to do the same next year when we go on our Panama canal cruise. I am not subjecting my dog to extra tests or shots - if we can't get off the ship, no big deal, they are just losing out on my money. We have already decided that we are mainly going for the transit through the canal and we are prepared to just enjoy the cruise ship if it comes down to that.

Dianne

Dianne, it's exactly the way I feel. If Horton can't go into a port because he hasn't had enough blood test......He simply won't go and either will I!

Hundreds of people asked, but only a few really did not believe so I offered the video evidence. Many then asked why people do not do this at home for their dogs - which I replied I do have a small portable plastic pool with cypress mulch in my garage Katie uses when the weather is rainy.

I love teaching people that service dogs are special, well behaved dogs who help people really live life again instead of merely existing. So many people only think Service Dogs are for the blind. Katie is cross trained as a Therapy Dog, so she really loves people of all types and ages. Katie really loves her jobs and it shows.

Bobbi, this is how my 95lb Horton goes to the bathroom both at home and at work. He uses potty boxes so when we cruise it's no big deal to him.

I had a wonderful weekend. We had an overnight "girls night" at the ranch and I got to be with Jagger. We knew I was going to stay overnight as we were planning on having wine and stuff and I live an hour away.

So they let me stay in a spare bedroom with Jagger. It was a lot of fun, and extra fun to be with Jagger. Had a lot of time with him today as we are getting the parade float ready. We participate in a couple of parades in Deland and Orange City, FL.

Plus Jagger did a really good thing this morning. While he'll bring me things constantly he's not been good at picking up items. I dropped a bag this morning and he got it for me right away! Whoopee! Jagger is a balance/brace dog, but I drop things a lot, so retrievals are a big task for me. We had a huge puppy party for that one! He was so proud of himself.

Congratulations on your sleepover.

Even though I don't always need Horton to pick up things for me it sure is nice when he does it. As I get older it's going to be something that will become more and more needed. I know it's something that is very important to you. Yay! Jagger good job!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

This is a video of me training Katie to turn the battery operated night light on and off in anticipation of the cruise. I have peripheral neuropathy and was worried that I might hurt myself in the dark cabin on the ship. I knew I would not want to turn the bedside lamp on and wake up my friend traveling with me each time I had to get up in the night. I purchased this dollar tree light and she caught right on, and perfected it in the next day or two.

I believe that it is important to cross train our Service Dogs to keep them happy working for us. I know the more Katie does for me the happier she is. From detecting biochemical changes in my body and alerting me before they become emergent to being super well behaved in public and at home - she makes me proud.

Absolutely, brilliant. She's really a good partner for you! Thank you so much Bobbi for sharing it all with us!

Our last cruise was the partial canal transit. Only Colombia required additional vaccinations. None of the ports required import permits or rabies titers. Which ports are on your itinerary?

Cindra

Cindra,

Our ports will be Cabo San Lucas, Puerto Vallarta, Puerto Quetzal, Puntarenas, Colon and Cartagena.

Dianne

Sounds like you had a great weekend with Jagger. How long until is training is finished and he can be with you full-time?

Dianne