Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Holly, those pups are adorable. Love getting a regular puppy fix.

For those needing a black puppy fix, too, here's Raylene (in there somewhere) and her "R" siblings, from Flicker (yellow) sired by Marino (black). Four males, four females, five black and three yellow.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/guidedogsfortheblind/sets/72157629096791184/

I was so happy when I discovered, about six weeks after Raylene became my partner, that Guide Dogs posts these litter photos and videos online.

Has anybody else been contacted by a writer named Anne Ford? She writes for Lion, the magazine of Lions Clubs International, and Dogs for the Deaf asked if I would be willing to be interviewed for an article she is writing about different ways service dogs assist people. So I worked with her on it yesterday.

I got to thinking about all the ways I've noticed that people on this message board who have been blessed with service dogs are willing to "give back" and help their organizations. Roz dressing Horty up as Elvis for a fundraiser, John allowing TV cameras into his classroom, the DKD family inviting reporters and cameras into their home, Holly taking great photos for My Angel With Paws events, and so on...many more I don't even know about, no doubt!

Cindra,

I was going to say I have posted pictures from here, that are on my computer. When you go to the reply page to type your message, along the top row, next to the smiley face is a paperclip. It drops down a menu where you can upload a picture from your computer. Haven't done it in a while, have to know which jpg picture you want to post.

Uh, Roz, sometimes your life is a little TOO exciting!!! :eek: Goodness! I am glad you were safe, especially since you couldn't hear his demand to get on the floor. Scary!

Did they ever catch him?

The FBI came to my place of work the next day for further questioning. I never did find out if he was caught or not. They said they might have to follow-up further but after the second day I NEVER heard from them again and I NEVER went back to that branch office of my bank.

Even though Wex goes to school with John, he does not like the kindergarten kids or toddlers. The older ones he's ok with as long as he's not mobbed all at once.

Brenda could have cared less about the kids.......she'd kind of face towards me as if to ignore them, where Horton will wag his entire body [and he's huge] waiting for them to come and adore him!!!! He's an attention whore!!!

Thank you all for the compliments. I actually uploaded it directly from my phone, which was a much simpler process than when I'm on computer.

Ok, call me crazy, but I was in Pet Smart yesterday, and I saw the cutest Santa suit...and they had one Pedro's size! I had to get it. He can wear it on Christmas Day around the ship...a mini Santa. I have to admit that I was one of those people who rolled their eyes at others who dressed their dogs up. Once Pedro's trainer told me to put clothes on him during cold months, since he has a thin coat, I became obsessed. I started with sweaters and hoodies. He now has a better wardrobe than my husband. This summer, not to make him feel left out, I bought my DH a matching polo shirt to Pedro's. He's looking forward to wearing the matching outfits. Last cruise, the crew got a kick out of his outfits. Pedro has his own suitcase this time around. Oh, I also saw some really cute Christmas collars I may pick up.

Pedro...what the well dressed working dog is wearing this season. LOL

Cindra

Thank you all for the compliments. I actually uploaded it directly from my phone, which was a much simpler process than when I'm on computer.

Ok, call me crazy, but I was in Pet Smart yesterday, and I saw the cutest Santa suit...and they had one Pedro's size! I had to get it. He can wear it on Christmas Day around the ship...a mini Santa. I have to admit that I was one of those people who rolled their eyes at others who dressed their dogs up. Once Pedro's trainer told me to put clothes on him during cold months, since he has a thin coat, I became obsessed. I started with sweaters and hoodies. He now has a better wardrobe than my husband. This summer, not to make him feel left out, I bought my DH a matching polo shirt to Pedro's. He's looking forward to wearing the matching outfits. Last cruise, the crew got a kick out of his outfits. Pedro has his own suitcase this time around. Oh, I also saw some really cute Christmas collars I may pick up.

Pedro...what the well dressed working dog is wearing this season. LOL

Cindra

Cindra, please be sure that Pedro doesn't lose sight of his tasks and his behavior. I know that when I dressed Brenda, although she was such a serious alpha dog, she somehow would lose her composure when I put fancy collars on her......maybe it was just the public's reaction to her but I found that I had to do a few more "corrections" than normal.

Horton is pretty good at staying on task.......he doesn't have a strong instinct to be a leader so he takes my direction really well.

Also, let the public know that although he's dressed in a "party like way"......he's still working and please don't pet or distract him without asking permission.

Hello everyone - my ears are burning!

I'm here and I've been lurking and send my belated welcome to our new folk and their wonderful four legged pals. Love all the photos and stories.

Oh my, where do I start? Busy doesn't even come close! And talking about "busy" Bonnie has almost got her "Go Busy" down to a fine art! That's about it though! Oh and apart from eating!!! LOL!!!

My DH always said, I think mainly in jest all the time we had Aruba, that "they" (Guide Dogs) gave us such a well-behaved puppy first time around so we would have another one! Huh, never a truer word said in jest - we had no idea how lucky we were with our Aruba!

This one, what a little tink and indeed little horror sometimes. We adore her really, but you truly need eyes in the back of your head! She's a chewer, a tea leaf (cockney rhyming slang for thief), a barker, has an "it's all about me" attitude, is thrawn (a good auld Scot's word for obstinate) ..... Phew I'm exhausted! She is a typical Leo - "I shine and I'm the centre of the universe"!!!

But she certainly lives up to her name of Bonnie - I found out that she's named after Aberdeen City's Bon-Accord - which is also the name of one of the shopping malls and that is where her sponsors have a store and why they called her Bonnie. For any of you interested here's a bit about Bon Accord. Needless to say, lions have been featured in the coat of arms!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_arms_of_Aberdeen

In saying all of this, we would not be without her, well maybe when she starts yelling to get me up so she can have her breakfast! Oh boy, oh boy she's a real tomboy too! Aruba adores her, plays all the time with her and is being the best mentor dog she can be. She's teaching her naughty stuff too so we have to keep an eye on that! Pinching slippers and shoes! Any shoes are fair game and she's never happy with just one slipper, she goes back to get the second one! Oh and no sooner have I put the tea towels on their rack in the kitchen than they're pulled off and into a doggy bed with you-know-who wrapped up in them! Today I caught her sucking, yes sucking a small silk cushion which I have on the back of a chair in the living room - stupid me thought it was just out of reach! She picks all this stuff up and makes a pile on the rug - then worn out and I expect bored, falls asleep surrounded by her ill-gotten gains! She has loads of toys, but I don't suppose it's as much fun as Mum shouting "Bonnie NO, Bonnie NO!" when she carries out her grab and run antics.

Her routine isn't bad, she does now sleep all night but it's just that I'm seriously not a morning person and am not fit for anything much before 8, so a barking wake up call at 6.45 is downright awful for me, especially as it's dark and cold these days! I always think I'll feed her and the others and go back to bed, but that never happens as you start pottering around the kitchen and doing stuff and then there's always a potty break needed after doggy breakfasts, so by then it's too late to head back to my warm, cosy bed - and guess who's then all tucked up sound asleep in hers looking like butter wouldn't melt - Monster Pup!

So I expect you're all laughing now .... Actually I have to admit, she's so much fun in spite of all of this naughtiness and I'm enjoying taking her out and about and then she's actually quite well behaved and let's face it, that's where it really counts! She is much admired, so doing anything out and about takes three times as long as it should! She seems to be confident and everything is an adventure! Our aim this week is to try and walk in a straight line - we will see!

She makes a funny sort of roar noise when she gets given a treat - it sounds like she's saying "it's all mine"! Try saying "it's all mine" slurred all together and roar at the same time and you've got it - LOL!

I'm having a few problems logging on to CC, it logs me out every time I look at another page - but I will try and post some photos.

Fairbourne, you've got me peeing in my seat........I'm laughing so hard at your storytelling. Bonnie is so funny and with Aruba as her backup girl, they're a comedy team. I wish I could bring Horton over he'd show them how to really steal slippers and throw them in the air, catch them and then bounce them off the walls!

Thank you for sharing the adventures of your furry brood!!! I can't even imagine what the older dogs must be thinking! And, I can't believe how big Bonnie has gotten. She's really growing like a weed! She's a beautiful girl!

We missed you. We American's are getting ready for the celebration of Thanksgiving.....you know the pilgrims and all!

Take care and keep us in the loop♥

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Wow...looks like we lucked out I the shoe stealing department. Pedro has no interest in shoes, thankfully! It's probably because they are bigger than he is. ;)

Do you ever wonder what our canine pals are saying about us to each other? My mom's shoes are tastier than your mom's? You're lucky. My mom wears a 6 shoe, while yours wears a size 10! Makes you want to go hmmm...

Cindra