Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Thanks so much, Roz and Dianne.

I lived through a cat. 4 hurricane alone (except for my dog) back in 1999 when we lived in the Caribbean. It can be scary seeing the main entrance door buckling inward and water rushing down the walls from the upper level of a house, especially after the radio goes silent. Hurricane Lenny stalled over St. Croix all night. But the long aftermath and cleanup was equally bad.

We're blessedly expected to be OK this time (so far, at least) over here on the SW coast, just the newly added tropical storm warnings to heed. But Holly and Jagger are close to the East Coast.

Let us know (when you get a chance) how it goes, Holly!

To all our Caribbean, Floridian and Eastern seaboard friends and family; please be safe and we hope that Hurricane Matthew passes through without affected any of you too much!

And from everyone in the Fairbourne household - keep safe everyone in Hurricane Matthews's path! Just watched the news of the evacuation from Florida - we are so lucky not to have such extremes of weather here.

And just to out a smile on everyone's face, I came across this story the other day. I'll post the link, hope it works! Talk about a goofy chocolate boy, could be Max! Somehow I don't think he would like this!

http://travel.aol.co.uk/2016/10/02/pooch-pilot-employs-puppy-co-pilot/

We had a successful trip to the USDA today and Henri is good to go! It was a relief to get all the paperwork in order. I have all the copies made and in a binder along with the health forms and required vaccination certificates. Now I just have to finish packing!

Thank you to Roz, Chris and everyone else for the helpful advice.

Dianne

Dianne - have a fabulous trip through the Panama Canal. It was on my DH's list and I thought ah ok, I can always go to the spa! Ha ha, not a chance, I loved every minute of going through. It was just fabulous and a once in a lifetime experience for us! We had perfect weather and we were so close we even had a chat with one of the "mule drivers"! (The mules are the little trains which pull and guide the ship through the canal.) A cargo ship followed us through side by side, one of those massive car transporters which totally overshadowed the cruise ship - we had fun waving to the sailors and of course the crowds who gather onshore at one of the Locks. I truly had no idea how much I would enjoy it all!

A forward view of the Panama Canal - everyone breathe in, are we going to fit in that small space! What you can't see are the canal workers who sail in a tiny rowboat in the canal in front of the cruise ship on the starboard side - they catch a line/ropes and attach it to the "mules"! I've read this tradition will go with the new canal - it will all be mechanised. It's quite something to see!

image.jpg.7c1c70e073b8b108c2cad6fbd4b84e64.jpg

And from everyone in the Fairbourne household - keep safe everyone in Hurricane Matthews's path! Just watched the news of the evacuation from Florida - we are so lucky not to have such extremes of weather here.

And just to out a smile on everyone's face, I came across this story the other day. I'll post the link, hope it works! Talk about a goofy chocolate boy, could be Max! Somehow I don't think he would like this!

http://travel.aol.co.uk/2016/10/02/pooch-pilot-employs-puppy-co-pilot/

I loved the story and the picture of Callie and her crew. She and Pippin are very lucky pooches to be so loved. But, then again, who couldn't adore those faces!!!!

A forward view of the Panama Canal - everyone breathe in, are we going to fit in that small space! What you can't see are the canal workers who sail in a tiny rowboat in the canal in front of the cruise ship on the starboard side - they catch a line/ropes and attach it to the "mules"! I've read this tradition will go with the new canal - it will all be mechanised. It's quite something to see!

Fairbourne, thank you for sharing your experience through the Canal.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Thanks for sharing your adventures through the canal. I am so looking forward to it!

Dianne

All our bags are packed and we are ready to go. We drive to the port tomorrow morning and off we go. Wish us luck - I hope Henri is a good sailor!

I am really hoping Matthew won't be as bad as forecasted, thinking of all our East Coast friends. Stay safe.

Dianne

All our bags are packed and we are ready to go. We drive to the port tomorrow morning and off we go. Wish us luck - I hope Henri is a good sailor!

I am really hoping Matthew won't be as bad as forecasted, thinking of all our East Coast friends. Stay safe.

Dianne

Bon~Voyage! Have a wonderful and safe trip!

And a happy, safe weekend to you too Aunty Roz!

Next week we are having an afternoon tea at our house for a lovely couple who are "retiring" from puppy walking - they are just about to hand back puppy number 7. They want to concentrate doing more cruising now, spending the kids' inheritance! LOL!

So we will have Heidi (million miles an hour Heidi Hi) and their puppy, well "young lady" now, Michelle, plus our lot! Ha ha, it's going to be fun in our house! :eek: I just hope it's a nice, dry day so they can all run around outside!

Hope everyone's keeping safe on the East Coast USA.

image.jpg.5a15dc2aeed46ae91a0f7a4ed2ffb3d7.jpg

And a happy, safe weekend to you too Aunty Roz!

Next week we are having an afternoon tea at our house for a lovely couple who are "retiring" from puppy walking - they are just about to hand back puppy number 7. They want to concentrate doing more cruising now, spending the kids' inheritance! LOL!

So we will have Heidi (million miles an hour Heidi Hi) and their puppy, well "young lady" now, Michelle, plus our lot! Ha ha, it's going to be fun in our house! :eek: I just hope it's a nice, dry day so they can all run around outside!

Hope everyone's keeping safe on the East Coast USA.

Wow! Look how you've got your babies all paying such good attention to you........You must be dipping your hands into the kibble or the cookie jar!!!! Labs sure know how to pay attention when it's time to eat!!! Love it! I must be a Lab! :D

Horty and I want to come over and play with everyone!!!!! Wish I could!!!

We're having so much fun with our elections here in the good old USA, we really don't have much time to pay too much attention to this hurricane!!!! Or, as Trump calls it "weather, it's just weather!"

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Ha ha, yes it's amazing what a lab will do for a treat! Poppy isn't there, she got fed up, just as I got them all sat down, one would move, and then they'd sit and then another would move - a bit like herding cats!

You would be very welcome! :D

Ah "The Donald" - he built a golf course near us (on a beautiful protected beach) and I have to admit what "he's" done is lovely but it came with the promise of a big luxury hotel, luxury houses, tons of new jobs, blah blah blah .... Guess what, golf course done, small country house hotel in the original estate mansion house, but no sign of the huge $$$ investment he promised! He fell out with Alex Salmond our then First Minister.

We saw him once - we had gone to have a look at the Trump Estate - curiosity got the better of us - and guess what as we were driving out of the estate, he came out of the hotel into his car - he gave us a wave! I can't remember if I shouted Hey Trumpy Trumpy or not! ;):) LOL!

We will all be watching to see what happens in November! I don't know whether I will laugh or cry if he wins! :eek:

Ha ha, yes it's amazing what a lab will do for a treat! Poppy isn't there, she got fed up, just as I got them all sat down, one would move, and then they'd sit and then another would move - a bit like herding cats!

Ah "The Donald" - he built a golf course near us (on a beautiful protected beach) and I have to admit what "he's" done is lovely but it came with the promise of a big luxury hotel, luxury houses, tons of new jobs, blah blah blah .... Guess what, golf course done, small country house hotel in the original estate mansion house, but no sign of the huge $$$ investment he promised! He fell out with Alex Salmond our then First Minister.

We saw him once - we had gone to have a look at the Trump Estate - curiosity got the better of us - and guess what as we were driving out of the estate, he came out of the hotel into his car - he gave us a wave! I can't remember if I shouted Hey Trumpy Trumpy or not! ;):) LOL!

We will all be watching to see what happens in November! I don't know whether I will laugh or cry if he wins! :eek:

The world is watching this play out I'm sure!!!! I'm voting and then one week later I'll be going down the Panama Canal and I won't care about anything.....I mean that, NOT ANYTHING!!!!! I will have Horton on one side and my SIL Debi on the other and what ever happens will just have to happen without me!!!!!

Chris was that potty box on Holland America?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

By the way, here's the box we had on Zuiderdam in April, forward on the lower promenade deck and we had the same on another HAL cruise. It actually had Raylene's name and room number on that little white label you can barely see in the photo. That box was perfect and worked out great, so I was surprised by the Maasdam's little squares on cardboard. But they did correct the situation, which made me happy.

fd375cf0-0c28-48d0-9078-26f5e76310ca_zps96rzsjls.jpg

By the way, here's the box we had on Zuiderdam in April, forward on the lower promenade deck and we had the same on another HAL cruise. It actually had Raylene's name and room number on that little white label you can barely see in the photo. That box was perfect and worked out great, so I was surprised by the Maasdam's little squares on cardboard. But they did correct the situation, which made me happy.

fd375cf0-0c28-48d0-9078-26f5e76310ca_zps96rzsjls.jpg

That's more like it. That's what they always provided for us.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

Here's a fun thing that happened this weekend. Someone contacted me on Facebook and, long story short, I got to see photos of Raylene's litter mate from Guide Dogs for the Blind in California, another female black Lab.

She's a working Guide Dog and looks exactly like Raylene! It was almost eerie, but they are twins, after all.

fairbourne,

If either one wins, we all still loose. :( Just my opinion.

we should have a "no" box on the ballot...50.1% vote no and we get two new candidates...

In California there was an attempt to get a "None of the above" box on the ballot. However, it got less than 50% of the vote. All it would do is say, I don't like any of the candidates enough to vote for any of them. I was one of the people that voted against this.

Yet while driving into work today, I thought of the same thing you did. It is nice to wish for. However, if implemented it would mean that there might never be an elected president.

How the two parties could choose two of the worst choices since before Washington's time is beyond me.