Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Wow, going through all these pages seems a little unrealistic, but I apologize for asking what I am sure are repeat questions.

Third time cruising, first time with my SD.

Booked for Alaska in late August. (One stop in British Columbia.)

I'm assuming that since Alaska is a U.S. state, that the rules are the same as at home. (We are American.)

However, ship-specific rules and paperwork are a little more nebulous and I'm not sure where to look.

Medical documentation?

Training documentation?

Any other type I'm forgetting?

We booked through a Travel Agent. Is she our first stop for notifying the cruise line about needing accommodations?

Will he need boots, jacket, for that time of year? I've gotten mixed answers from Alaskan friends.

Will he need ear protection for any tenders?

I'd like to know these as soon as possible so he can be conditioned to wearing them.

I'm aware of the litterbox situation, and will be training to that at home. We booked a balcony room near a stairwell.

Wow, going through all these pages seems a little unrealistic, but I apologize for asking what I am sure are repeat questions.

I'm assuming that since Alaska is a U.S. state, that the rules are the same as at home. (We are American.)

However, ship-specific rules and paperwork are a little more nebulous and I'm not sure where to look.

Medical documentation?

Training documentation?

We booked through a Travel Agent. Is she our first stop for notifying the cruise line about needing accommodations?

Will he need boots, jacket, for that time of year? I've gotten mixed answers from Alaskan friends.

I'd like to know these as soon as possible so he can be conditioned to wearing them.

I'm aware of the litterbox situation, and will be training to that at home. We booked a balcony room near a stairwell.

Hi and welcome!

We are in the same boat. I've been on plenty of cruises, 15 since 2010, but my cruise in May with be the first with my SD. It is also to Alaska. I've read the entire thread, and been here a while.

Start by asking your TA to let the special needs department know about your SD. There will be a form to fill out.

What line are you on? It makes a difference.

Boots and jacket may depend on your dog, and his breed.

If you read just a few posts back, we discussed the rabies vaccination and APHIS 7001 documents.

Hi and welcome!

We are in the same boat. I've been on plenty of cruises, 15 since 2010, but my cruise in May with be the first with my SD. It is also to Alaska. I've read the entire thread, and been here a while.

Start by asking your TA to let the special needs department know about your SD. There will be a form to fill out.

What line are you on? It makes a difference.

Boots and jacket may depend on your dog, and his breed.

If you read just a few posts back, we discussed the rabies vaccination and APHIS 7001 documents.

I got impatient (because our travel agent sucks) and called Princess.

They had me email accessofficeprincess@princesscruises.com. They asked for the booking number, ship name, sail date, a description of the dog, and a description of his tasks.

He's an Alaskan Klee Kai, flat coat, about 32 pounds. Always up to date on shots and I always have a copy of his records in my backpack. We always get a health certificate before we fly, as well. I'll read up on the APHIS 7001. Thank you for responding!

Edited by PleaseDoNotPet

Scooter and I had a pre-existing appointment at the vet this morning for his annual exam, rabies update, etc. Went well. I learned that they are familiar with the documentation needed to ship an animal out of the country. The Dr didn't know what document number was needed, but he was familiar with doing the form.

One of his assistants said they like to have me come in, fill out the document, fax it to the office an hour away, have them say if anything is wrong, fix it, fax it back, repeat if needed, then give me the wet-signed one to take up there to have signed and stamped. She was worried about the 10-day requirement, since I'm swamped the week before we leave, but once she realized I just was going to Canada, she was more like "Why do you even need this form since they only require the Rabies certificate?" When I explained the cruise ship was likely to require it, since they were used to requiring it for all countries, she understood. Better safe than sorry.

Next to call and see if I can overnight mail it up to the office, or if I need to drive it up there. They acted like people usually drove it up there. Wonder if my son is available to drive me up if that is the case? Cost will be close to the same.

Good news for you, Barb. For an Alaska/Canada cruise, the Form 7001 Health Certificate does not need to be stamped and countersigned by a USDA APHIS Service Center, if that’s where they mean.

If your vet is accredited by the USDA, he or she can sign it. Saves a lot of time and aggravation, and the cruise line will be happy. That’s all I did for my Alaska/Canada cruise. Only certain countries require a “government authority” to also countersign and stamp it.

I got impatient (because our travel agent sucks) and called Princess.

They had me email accessofficeprincess@princesscruises.com. They asked for the booking number, ship name, sail date, a description of the dog, and a description of his tasks.

He's an Alaskan Klee Kai, flat coat, about 32 pounds. Always up to date on shots and I always have a copy of his records in my backpack. We always get a health certificate before we fly, as well. I'll read up on the APHIS 7001. Thank you for responding!

You did the right thing by contacting Princess directly. I always ask the travel agent to put it in the record that I’m bringing my SD, but I’d rather communicate myself with the access department.

Good news for you, Barb. For an Alaska/Canada cruise, the Form 7001 Health Certificate does not need to be stamped and countersigned by a USDA APHIS Service Center, if that’s where they mean.

If your vet is accredited by the USDA, he or she can sign it. Saves a lot of time and aggravation, and the cruise line will be happy. That’s all I did for my Alaska/Canada cruise. Only certain countries require a “government authority” to also countersign and stamp it.

Awesome!

He signs and sends them up to the state capital where the USDA office is all the time, so yes, he is accredited. My vet is the one that all the show dogs, police dogs, etc, in the area use.

That also means I don't need to have hubby or son take off work to take me up there to get it signed and stamped. Woot!

The assistant said, "All you need is Rabies - so you have that." I was much more worried about the cruise ship itself. So, this will be much easier.

So now to determine not only what hubby and I need for Alaska in mid-May (Mom already warned me it will be rather cold), but to make the list of what Scooter will need.

We need to haul:

1. Paperwork - multiple copies. Rabies certificate, vaccination list. That part is easy. Copy for me to have, copy for the ship, copy for officials in Alaska, copy for officials in Canada. Any more?
  2. Mat for the floor of the plane (because otherwise he gets the shakes)
  3. Food for about 14 days, just to be on the safe side. (Flying out May 17, back May 30, conference in Seattle after the cruise)
  4. Chewys for those days
  5. A couple of toys, especially the nubby balls and a couple of Kong toys. We can get plain yogurt from room service and add add some kibble to stuff the Kong if needed.
  6. Extra poop bags
  7. Extra Collar, just in case
  8. A couple of extra leashes, just in case.
  9. Benadryl for both him and me just in case
  10. Extra vest, including the one with the saddle bags. I guess we can have him wear that one, and simply take it off to go through the TSA, and he can carry his mid-flight food and some emergency meds. I hate working him naked, though, since his behavior changes (and he get bouncy).
  11. His Mutt Muffs, because they help in the plane. Did I mention he doesn't like flying?

We are going May 18 - 25. Should I purchase a rain coat for my Lab? Should I take his shoes (which he hates)?

I'll need to determine how/when to feed him on the fly out day, since we don't leave MO until 6:30 pm Central, and arrive in Seattle at 1am Pacific. We will be totally exhausted, but in the right city to start. Much safer than trying to fly in the next morning! He usually eats dinner about 5:30 or 6pm, and if he doesn't eat, he is likely to get a sour tummy. So, I guess I'll feed him a trickle of kibble before we get in the car about 2pm to head to the airport (because it is a long drive to get there). Then, since we have a 3 hour stop in PHX, feed him another trickle of kibble. The day we fly home, we have anon-stop.

So, on the way there, 3hr20min, 3 hour break, 2hr55min and arrival at hotel.

On the way home, 4hr20min non-stop flight home.

I'm actually dreading the flight home more. That is just long enough that I'll barely be able to walk when we land. Sigh. Better take the cane.

Medical documentation?

Training documentation?

That's good that you contacted Princess directly (in case they require anything above and beyond what other cruise lines require).

Yes, the same ADA laws apply in Alaska as the rest of the US.

I don't know anything about your dog's breed. Does he get cold easily? I have a 65lb lab who loves to get wet and like cool weather. You really shouldn't run into very cold weather in August, but you will probably have rain. We went to Alaska in May last year and did not take any coats, boots, etc. I did take a dog rain poncho for her so that she wouldn't get soaked on excursions.

I have not been on a tender. Have you heard that they are loud? I have not need ear protection for trains, whale watching boats, etc., but my dog is not sensitive to noise.

Dianne

Awesome!

He signs and sends them up to the state capital where the USDA office is all the time, so yes, he is accredited. My vet is the one that all the show dogs, police dogs, etc, in the area use.

It does sound like his is accredited - if you every have any doubt, you can call the USDA and they can tell you if your vet is accredited.

Dianne

It does sound like his is accredited - if you every have any doubt, you can call the USDA and they can tell you if your vet is accredited.

Dianne

I will do that tomorrow.

His assistant said they like to fill it out, fax it up to the USDA office to make sure they have it correct for the country the dog is going to, then release the wet-signed one after they know it is filled out correctly.

This will also give me a chance to have his ears check a solid week before flying. We've had ear infections before. Not often, but a couple of times. Silly Lab ears!

So now to determine not only what hubby and I need for Alaska in mid-May (Mom already warned me it will be rather cold), but to make the list of what Scooter will need.

We need to haul:

1. Paperwork - multiple copies. Rabies certificate, vaccination list. That part is easy. Copy for me to have, copy for the ship, copy for officials in Alaska, copy for officials in Canada. Any more?
  2. Mat for the floor of the plane (because otherwise he gets the shakes)
  3. Food for about 14 days, just to be on the safe side. (Flying out May 17, back May 30, conference in Seattle after the cruise)
  4. Chewys for those days
  5. A couple of toys, especially the nubby balls and a couple of Kong toys. We can get plain yogurt from room service and add add some kibble to stuff the Kong if needed.
  6. Extra poop bags
  7. Extra Collar, just in case
  8. A couple of extra leashes, just in case.
  9. Benadryl for both him and me just in case
  10. Extra vest, including the one with the saddle bags. I guess we can have him wear that one, and simply take it off to go through the TSA, and he can carry his mid-flight food and some emergency meds. I hate working him naked, though, since his behavior changes (and he get bouncy).
  11. His Mutt Muffs, because they help in the plane. Did I mention he doesn't like flying?

We are going May 18 - 25. Should I purchase a rain coat for my Lab? Should I take his shoes (which he hates)?

Sounds like you have everything pretty much covered. Take plenty of poop bags since Celebrity doesn't give you very many. Don't forget grooming supplies and food dishes and a portable water bowl/bottle to take off the ship with you. I also take Henri's favorite blanket for her to sleep on and Bonine (your Vet can give you the appropriate dose) and a small dog first aid kit. I bought her a life vest that we bring on every cruise.

We used the rain poncho a lot last May - I don't think he needs shoes unless you think he will be walking in snow.

Dianne

Medical documentation?

Training documentation?

Hi,

We took my six-pound Service Dog on a Holland America Cruise about four years ago.

The rules in Canada are the same as the USA regarding Service Dogs. My Service Dog has a vest and an "Assistance Dog" tag, which we got through our local Animal Control with proper documentation. You will need a health certificate to get your dog back into the USA. You get that through your vet. If you've got it, I'd take the training certificate, too. Though the Customs Agents rarely look at them, having them in-hand ready to show is a definite plus, and gets you through customs faster.

You do need to fill out paperwork for the cruise line--and, yes, ask your travel agent to get this for you. Questions on paperwork include descriptions of breed, tasks formed, and other information to identify your dog. You should also be asked what kind of material you want in the "litter box." We asked for grass, and my dog was delighted to see a 3' x 4' box with sod in it just for her.

Be certain to ask for a refrigerator in your room if you need it for your dog's food.

Excursions will be no problem as ADA laws apply. We did not have to use a tender, so I do not know about ear protection. A sweater would be a good idea. We did not use boots and we traveled the end of September. It just depends on what your dog is used to. The weather was cool for a bunch of Southern Californians, but delightful for our companions from the state of Washington.

Being that my service dog is so small, we did pick her up around eagles, and we avoided excursions to see the bears. Otherwise, she had as much fun sniffing the sights as we need seeing them. :-)

Truly, the only problem we had with the service dog was a ship full of people who wanted to pet her. The ship's staff was absolutely wonderful.

Hope this information is helpful to you. And will you think of me--I'm still trying to figure out how to travel with my dog on a Mediterranean Cruise. :-). --Noni

Thanks, Dianne,

What do you put in your dog first aid kit? I usually have vet wrap, maybe some salve, but haven't needed more than that.

Just a few things in case of minor injury - vet tape, gauze, tweezers, styptic pencil.

Dianne

Helicopter excursion in Hawaii

Are service dogs allowed onboard the Helicopter? I want to book this but concerned they might not let my boy go with me.

I would be surprised if they let the dog go. Liability reasons

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just a few things in case of minor injury - vet tape, gauze, tweezers, styptic pencil.

Dianne

as there are no veterinarians on the ship, my Vet prescribes antibiotics, anti-inflammatories, pain medication, anti-diarrheal – all in the event of an emergency. I have the Vet’s cellular phone number to call to get any additional information in the event of an injury. Also take natural fiber cotton balls (doubtful but if something sharp was ingested such as bone) activated charcoal Capsules (in the unlikely event something poisonous such as chocolate was eaten), peroxide (to make the service dog throw up if eaten something toxic prior to administering the charcoal) and the basic first aide as described by the previous poster.

Edited by bgm209
Added reasons for some first aide products

Are service dogs allowed onboard the Helicopter? I want to book this but concerned they might not let my boy go with me.

If your dog is small and can fit on your lap they will allow it. Otherwise weight is a big issue with our Service Dogs and some excursions.

Also, when thinking of excursions in Alaska; we did the train, boat, tram, bus and had a great time. We were not allowed to go to sled dog camps to see the pups but we got very lucky because some sled dog pups were brought onboard the ship and that was a real treat.

We had some access issues in Vancouver but they were resolved easily.

Princess cruises does an excellent job of bringing naturalists onboard their ships to give great talks about the ports you will be visiting.

Hello Sumacs Momma!

Why not just call the helicopter tour company and ask them? That is, if you know what company you want to book the tour with. Then you would know before committing.

Have a great time!

Beckie