Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Roz, congrats on retirement! Enjoy!

From me as well. I, too, miss the rush hours and the false deadlines...but I also miss the people I used to work with. The worst part is that I feel like I'm busier at home in retirement than I was at work!

Happy Weekend Everyone! Horton and I are getting used to our retirement. Boy! It's sure a lot of work to not work. 30 years is a lot of time to give!

I like the sleeping in, so does Horty. He was meant to be a very lazy, take it easy kind of boy! I also like the not having to get in line on the freeway or keep up with the cars on the canyons so the slower cars don't try to bump in front of me. I also don't miss the eighteen wheelers who think they can pull in front and just miss killing me by a fraction of an inch. I don't miss the honking horns, screeching tires, speeding motorcyclists or the maniacs who think that swearing at you through their windows is acceptable behavior! $400 a month for gas will never be missed. Free at last, thank God, I'm free at last!!!! Now, if my son will just pay me back my retirement money.....I can really feel the freedom!

I keep waiting for someone to come over and ask me to meet one deadline or another. Or, be ready for a big meeting at the end of the day or the first thing in the morning. What-the-heck there's actually no one interrupting me while I'm on the phone, or on the computer [except for a big hairy beast that insists that I rub his tummy more now!]

The only part of this retirement thing is that I'm not enjoying it with Morey.......:(

Congratulations Roz!!! John too retired this year. He is enjoying his lazy days sleeping in. Wex is enjoying being a bum.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

Congratulations to Roz & Horton, and John & Wexler! All the best to all four of you on your retirement. (Although technically, Horton and Wexler are not retired.) Hmmm. I'm quite jealous. :D:) Several more years to go for me. Enjoy every day.

Warmest regards,

Beckie

Didn't mean to leave John and Sexy Wexy out of the retirement Hooray! In my retirement haste I'm on fire at both ends and can only absorb so much! I have a 15 year old that is working on his last merit badge for Boy Scouts, along with his Eagle Scout project and then there's the Golf Tournament fund raiser.....Oh and then there is the rest of life that doesn't stop..... :-)

First, congratulations to Roz on retirement. You'll find it the best job you ever had. As I have for 12 years now.

Now, a question: I'm putting together a NY-Southampton-NY out-and-back cruise (with 5 days in southern England) for May 2019. Anyone here taken their dog on a Queen Mary 2 cruise? I'm thinking about getting a protected balcony. Guy at Cunard I'm working with says the ship will put the relief box on a balcony if the patron wishes. Is that better than having it on a deck nearby? Guy says Cunard uses cedar mulch for a relief box filling but MAYBE will use sod if requested. Hmm?

Wow, you retired, Roz!!! Last thing I knew you were dealing with challenges of a different office location. I’m so glad you have a great new life to enjoy. I have a feeling Morey is smiling down and cheering you and Horton on. Enjoy it!

Thank you Chris, lovely words. Yes, the moving did help in my finally make the move OUT!

From me as well. I, too, miss the rush hours and the false deadlines...but I also miss the people I used to work with. The worst part is that I feel like I'm busier at home in retirement than I was at work!

Thanks, Walt. Yes, it's so true, I do miss the wonderful folks that I worked with and I know that Horton misses all the human contact. But, I'm so darn busy with errands and "stuff" that has to get done, he gets to see and visit with a lot of the public as I get on with life during the hours I would be at work and not trying to fit everything in between my lunch hour or after or before work.

I was even doing my grocery shopping at my lunch hour or after work, now I can go any time......but, what are these people doing there......shouldn't they be at work!

Congratulations Roz!!! John too retired this year. He is enjoying his lazy days sleeping in. Wex is enjoying being a bum.

Thanks, Cindy. Give John a big congratulations from me and, if Wex is anything like Horton he loves to sleep in with me. That's the best part of this "retirement" thing......NO MORE ALARM CLOCKS!!!!!

I was even doing my grocery shopping at my lunch hour or after work, now I can go any time......but, what are these people doing there......shouldn't they be at work!

Maybe they are like my daughter. She works midnight to 9am. She grocery shops on the way home from work, when most people are at work.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Congrats Roz!! Someday I too will know the joys of no more commuting. Now you have more time to bug your son about the money. You could always threaten to move in with him! ;p

I LOVE YOU! I think I laughed so hard at your comment that I peed my pants!

Moving in with anybody should scare anyone......I'm a knick-knack collector....it takes me two days just to dust all my "stuff!" It's a job all by itself! Of course, everything is looking mighty fresh and pretty since I'm not at work! And, because I'm so anal, I spend lots of time re-decorating and placing things in different spots all day!

Someone stop me, please!

Horton is loving going out on the patio and just laying in the sun.....if he were a human, he'd be all tan and walking around in his speedo, with a "foo-foo" drink in his paw!!!!! He just loves being taken care of by his woman!

Hip, Hip, Hooray! For Roz and Horty! That is one of our complaints about retiring. We are busier now than when we worked. We often say We don't know how we had time to work! You will get into a routine. <3

Thanks, Nancy. You're right about getting into some sort of routine. It does help!

Congratulations to Roz & Horton, and John & Wexler! All the best to all four of you on your retirement. (Although technically, Horton and Wexler are not retired.) Hmmm. I'm quite jealous. :D:) Several more years to go for me. Enjoy every day.

Warmest regards,

Beckie

Becky, thank you! It's a lot of work, this retirement thing. Just setting-up the health, vision and dental insurance and pension plan seemed like a full-time job all in itself.

And, now thinking about Horton's retirement [he'll be nine on the 29th] has to be something that I may need to think about soon. He's not doing as many refusals to get into the car since were not taking those darn canyons to work anymore and he loves to pick up things, close doors, alert to someone at the door and so many other things that I'm so grateful that I'm not feeling too much pressure from him or CCI, yet! He was amazing at his last testing and he's in good health......as I knock on wood!

Just thinking of a Successor for Horton brings tears to my eyes!

Maybe they are like my daughter. She works midnight to 9am. She grocery shops on the way home from work, when most people are at work.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Wow! I can't even imagine all those folks who work such odd hours....I will look at these people with a different eye, thank you for the reminder!

First, congratulations to Roz on retirement. You'll find it the best job you ever had. As I have for 12 years now.

Now, a question: I'm putting together a NY-Southampton-NY out-and-back cruise (with 5 days in southern England) for May 2019. Anyone here taken their dog on a Queen Mary 2 cruise? I'm thinking about getting a protected balcony. Guy at Cunard I'm working with says the ship will put the relief box on a balcony if the patron wishes. Is that better than having it on a deck nearby? Guy says Cunard uses cedar mulch for a relief box filling but MAYBE will use sod if requested. Hmm?

Henry, thank you.

Always accept the relief box to be put on your own balcony. I highly recommend this. The convenience of having the box right outside your door makes or breaks a cruise for me. Horton does NOT like to have a full bladder and gets very anxious if he can't go potty when his bladder is full.

It sounds like they're trying to be very accommodating and that's ALWAYS a good thing.

Horton is loving going out on the patio and just laying in the sun.....if he were a human, he'd be all tan and walking around in his speedo, with a "foo-foo" drink in his paw!!!!! He just loves being taken care of by his woman!

This is a whole new image to replace Horton-dressed-as-Elvis for the CCI event!

Becky, thank you! It's a lot of work, this retirement thing. Just setting-up the health, vision and dental insurance and pension plan seemed like a full-time job all in itself.

And, now thinking about Horton's retirement [he'll be nine on the 29th] has to be something that I may need to think about soon. He's not doing as many refusals to get into the car since were not taking those darn canyons to work anymore and he loves to pick up things, close doors, alert to someone at the door and so many other things that I'm so grateful that I'm not feeling too much pressure from him or CCI, yet! He was amazing at his last testing and he's in good health......as I knock on wood!

Just thinking of a Successor for Horton brings tears to my eyes!

Wex is almost 11 and still working. He's still in great shape and willing to work. Although he is loving his retirement, he will be ready to go to Bermuda in a few weeks.

We drove from North of Tampa to Virginia Beach on Thursday and back on Monday for a grand nieces baptism. Although I know Halo is an amazing traveler, he makes me so proud each time we travel.

He was awesome with the crazy hours in the car. So welcomed at the hotel. We spent several hours at my brothers 1920's mansion, my brother and sister in law do not like dogs, but said I could bring him in. They just stop complimenting his behavior. We went to church, he slid right under the pew and even people right next to us didn't know he was there. Then lunch at a fancy, smancy yatch club, he just stayed under our chairs and was quiet the whole time.

And at my nieces house, her 18 month old daughter would smack him on the face and push him and he didn't even flinch. He is not around kids. After I saw what she was doing I put him in a sit stay next to me and she never bothered him there.

Roz, Halo is almost 3 and I already dread his retirement. He is my first service dog. I have had pet dogs all my life. I loved them dearly, but for some reason my love for Halo seems different and more intense.

Linda and Halo