Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

6 minutes ago, Miki_moto said:

I haven't had much trouble in Canada and folks who wanted to take photos of us in England - mostly tourists! - asked.  I think they were happier having a photo of my dog without me!  I sometimes ask if they want me to take a photo of them with the dog!!!

Behold the "Druids" of Stonehenge who have bewitched Nico!  

Edited to add:  Not Nico's best side! 😉

IMG_1779.jpg

So adorable!  Our dogs love to be touched and loved-on!!!!!

3 hours ago, Miki_moto said:

Does anyone have any experience regarding people taking photos of you/your dog without your permission?

It seems like social media always has photos taken by people who are convinced they are “outing” fake service dogs.  I’m wondering if anyone on this thread has had their photo taken.

That happens frequently when we are traveling. I don't mind pictures of my service dog, but I don't want my picture taken by people I don't know.  In Victoria, we literally had a tour bus full of Japanese tourists come pouring off the bus to get their picture taken with Henri. No one spoke English, but through hand gestures we were able to figure out what they wanted. We joke that Henri must be very famous on Facebook in Japan.

Dianne

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, alexspepa said:

Hey Everyone…just back from a week at Folly Beach, SC. Our daughter teaches school in Bangledesh and she flew in to celebrate her birthday with us and her best friend. They were born a day apart and met in the hospital and have been best friends their entire lives. We had a great time and we took Lucy with us – she loves the beach. For those of you that don’t know, Lucy is our 11 year old chocolate lab and she is not a Service Dog.

The trip almost ended in tragedy due to my stupidity. We drove up to Southport, NC before heading home to look at a 34’ trawler I was thinking about buying. Dottie, Lucy and I met the broker at the dock and as I did not think it appropriate to take her on board the boat, I tied her with her leash to a post. I did not think about the fact that she has never been tied up before.

I can't imagine how scary that must have been.  I am glad that you and Lucy are okay.

Dianne

5 hours ago, rangeley said:

Hi All,  Just want everyone to know that we are at team training at CCI for a new dog. John was just matched this morning. Can't say anything more right now. But soon...

So exciting, Cindy!  

Can’t wait for the details - but I remember that CCI trainers told my friend Pat (and others in her Orlando hearing dog class) that they could not post anything about their matched dog on social media until they had the green light. So we’ll be patient for now.

1 minute ago, Caribbean Chris said:

So exciting, Cindy!  

Can’t wait for the details - but I remember that CCI trainers told my friend Pat (and others in her Orlando hearing dog class) that they could not post anything about their matched dog on social media until they had the green light. So we’ll be patient for now.

Ya besides making sure it will work they have to notify the puppy raisers before we can post. 

2 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

OMG!  I'm reading this with my mouth dropped open.  How awful for all of you, especially Lucy.  I'm so glad she's okay!  Poor baby, she's must have been so scared.  You're very lucky that this turned out the way it did. 

Horrible lesson learned!

Thank you for sharing your story and for helping each of us in a teaching moment that could have been a real tragedy.

Thanks Roz - I don't know if she fell in or thought I was in the water and tried to jump in. We play hide and seek in our pool and she may have thought that is what was going on. Her only experience with a leash is with someone at the other end. I never thought about that when I looped the end around that post. 

We were very lucky.

1 hour ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Keith, what a terrible and scary experience! I’m so thankful that you and Lucy both are OK. 

Thanks Chris - at least I know I can still move quickly when necessary - Mike the broker said he had never seen anyone move that fast in his life. I was literally out the boat and in the water in one second. Dottie was forward in the boat and said she just heard a big splash.

5 minutes ago, alexspepa said:

Thanks Roz - I don't know if she fell in or thought I was in the water and tried to jump in. We play hide and seek in our pool and she may have thought that is what was going on. Her only experience with a leash is with someone at the other end. I never thought about that when I looped the end around that post. 

We were very lucky.

Don't consume yourself with guilt.  Again, remember that it all turned out okay and consider it a lesson learned.  

I promise you that you're not the only one that has done something without thinking it thoroughly through.  But, again, it will NEVER happen again and everyone is much the wiser for the experience.  

Big, BIG HUGS to everyone.  Now, go have some "down time" filled with much love and gratefulness!

4 minutes ago, alexspepa said:

Oh - since it was a happy ending I am buying the boat! Honey Badger (hate the name but don't want to go through the boat name changing ritual) will hopefully be part of our family soon.

Congratulations!  Great way to turn a negative into a real positive!

Dear Cindy & John,

Your Cruise Critic community is wishing you and your new fur-partner lots and lots of love and success.

We look forward to sharing many, many years of good times, positive experiences and lots and lots of cruising together.

Good luck in the process and remember that you have a very special angel watching all of you named Wexler.

Much Love to you all,

Roz & Horton ❤️ 🐾

Edited by wizard-of-roz

11 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Dear Cindy & John,

Your Cruise Critic community is wishing you and your new fur-partner lots and lots of love and success.

We look forward to sharing many, many years of good times, positive experiences and lots and lots of cruising together.

Good luck in the process and remember that you have a very special angel watching all of you named Wexler.

Much Love to you all,

Roz & Horton ❤️ 🐾

Thank you Roz. Can't wait for all the new adventures with the new dog. ❤️🐾

Some of us have pictures on our avatars......for those of you who don't know, in my avatar is Brenda Elizabeth, my first CCI Service Dog.  I graduated with Brenda in December of 2002.  In the picture she's 15 months old and honestly, was my heart and soul.  She brought me out of the dark corners of life and gave me the courage to step forward, explore, engage and love living again.  She passed away in April, 2014 at the age of 14. 💔

I will FOREVER be grateful to that little, pure English Lab named Brenda, who couldn't wag her tail without wiggling her entire back end of her body!  I have her cremains on a shelf in my bedroom and talk to her all the time. 🐾

Please share;  who or what is in your avatar.  What's the backstory?

1 hour ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Some of us have pictures on our avatars......for those of you who don't know, in my avatar is Brenda Elizabeth, my first CCI Service Dog.  I graduated with Brenda in December of 2002.  In the picture she's 15 months old and honestly, was my heart and soul.  She brought me out of the dark corners of life and gave me the courage to step forward, explore, engage and love living again.  She passed away in April, 2014 at the age of 14. 💔

I will FOREVER be grateful to that little, pure English Lab named Brenda, who couldn't wag her tail without wiggling her entire back end of her body!  I have her cremains on a shelf in my bedroom and talk to her all the time. 🐾

Please share;  who or what is in your avatar.  What's the backstory?

My avatar is Wexler, my husbands 2nd service dog. We got him August 2009 and he just passed February 1st this year at 11 1/2. He was my love and I miss him dearly. He was also nephew to Roz 1st dog Brenda. Brenda and Wexlers father were brother and sister. We are now at team training for our new service dog, so my avatar will probably change soon. Only 2 more days to go!! Tomorrow or Friday I will be able to post a pic. 

On 4/3/2019 at 5:25 PM, rangeley said:

My avatar is Wexler, my husbands 2nd service dog. We got him August 2009 and he just passed February 1st this year at 11 1/2. He was my love and I miss him dearly. He was also nephew to Roz 1st dog Brenda. Brenda and Wexlers father were brother and sister. We are now at team training for our new service dog, so my avatar will probably change soon. Only 2 more days to go!! Tomorrow or Friday I will be able to post a pic. 

I love knowing that we're related ♥️