Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Hi All

Long time AGAIN - I never seem to get to this thread and stay on top of it as much as I would like to !

I am seeking everyones help ....

As some of you may remember I had an incident with Disney Cruise Line in Oct of last year with the litter box area being LOCKED from 7 PM to 7 AM ... When I ask them to move the box THEY WOULD NOT .... They did not want to accomidate me in any way and told me I was lucky enough just to have my Guide Dog on the cruise LOL .... anyways I finally got a room with a verandah 1 1/2 days into our cruise and it was great , but it never solved the ISSUE which was them not accomidatin someone with the box . They wont move it inside in a un used hallway like Princess does ( Thanks Princess we will be sailing our next Alaska with you ) and I just think it is wrong not to mention the forst night Denver and I waited 1 HOUR before someone came to un lock that stupid door ,.,,, NOT compliant under title 3 of the ADA a locked door is NOT a resonable accomidation and having to BEG them to move it and throw a FIT to get them to move me to an area where it could be used all the time without assistance I think is just wrong too

Here is where everyone comes into play

I know Princess has special services and uses Allison Muff but I dont know the other lines and who they use as I have only ever sailed princess and DCL SSSSOooooooooo If any of you know who I would contact in a special services dept at RCCL Carnival Norwegian and HAL I would soooooo appreciate those contacts.... My lawyer needs info on what accomidations other lines are providing to Service dog travelers and if the box is accessable 24/7 and if the box could be moved in the event that I was not able to navigate my way there ( as I had trouble with on DCL because Im VERY low vision /Blind ) . This info will play a KEY part in out case agains DCL so that I can get the box on DCL to a more accomidating spot or have them issue people who cruise with SDs a key to the locked door A RESONABLE ACCOMIDATION !!!!! It is also sad because I have herd that if you are in a wheelchair the door is too heavy to open and so you can not get out to the deck to relieve your dog on your own ... FORCING you to either ask for help or have someone go with you .....

Thanks everyone I know you will have the contact info im looking for !

I dont see Roz on Im assuming shes in Alaska ???? Hope they have fun ... They are GREAT people and Brenda is a DOLL !!!

Cari and Guide Dog Denver

On a seperate post LOL does anyone know what I need to sail to Baja Mexico my itenerary will be San Diego Catalina Ensanada Mexico and San Diego also looking into Cabo San Lucas so PLEASE if anyone knows if i need import permits etc . I would love that info too !!!

Cari and Denver

Hi Everyone,

I apologize in advance for the long post but I have lots to say!

Cindy are you sitting down....guess what I found out about your sweet boy Wexler???? Even though you and i have never met in person and we live on different coasts, your sweet Wexler was born not 5 minutes from us! Further, I know his brother who has graduated and I know his mom! His mom is a sweet dog and just the best mom. The breeder caretaker is a wonderful woman (very dedicated to CCI) who does a terrific job raising, caring for and teaching the pups until they get to the puppy raisers. I might be able to get you a newborn picture of your sweet boy if you are interested?! Small world huh?

Miriam, if I recall correctly Hannah is on the autism spectrum. If I am wrong this may not be applicable. I assume from what you say the service dog group in Canada specializes in dogs that herd. The reason I mention this is that CCI dogs do not herd. If that is necessary parents will sometimes choose the dogs that herd from specialized autism groups. If however Hannah is not a bolter/runner then you might want to consider an entity like CCI. I realize they are in the states; however, they charge no fee (most of the autism ones do charge a fee), they have a shorter waiting list, and the age limit for the child I think is 5 years old. As you see form our situation and Cindy/John's this can in some cases be less than a 1 - 2 year wait. If you could deal with the 2 week training in the states AND the bolting thing is not an issue I would at least look into CCI. They give a lot of dogs to kids with autism.

Well I guess that is about it. Need to make our final payment for our November cruise and are waffling about whether we want to go all the way to Florida? Now we are thinking maybe we should look into one that leaves from the west coast to avoid the added hassle, time change, etc..

Kim and Keldon

I think we all need a big sign to carry around with our dogs on a cruise that says

I know what you are dying to ask and the answer is: I have a box of sod where I do my business.

That has to be THE #1 asked question on our cruise to Alaska last week.

where r u sailing ? Maybe the next one ??? I still think we need a group cruise !!!!!

We are sailing to the Mexican Riveria, I noticed the cruise you were planning was for that area as well. I would so love to do a group cruise, even though I don't have a service dog of my own.

Sunshine

are you flying here or do you live on the west coast ? Do you have to have any import permits for that cruise? If not is it just the general health cert abd vaccines ? Very interested to know and maybe we can book a cruise everyone can join in on .... like a year in advance or something it would be fun and i know we have tossed it around here before several times ...

Cari and D

Sunshine

are you flying here or do you live on the west coast ? Do you have to have any import permits for that cruise? If not is it just the general health cert abd vaccines ? Very interested to know and maybe we can book a cruise everyone can join in on .... like a year in advance or something it would be fun and i know we have tossed it around here before several times ...

Cari and D

Cari, I don't have a service dog of my own so don't know about the vaccines and permits(unless you are talking abt us, my husband is hoping the swine flu vaccine is available prior to our cruise;)).

We are sailing from San Pedro, so will be flying until LAX on 11/27. The day after Thanksgiving. We will be staying at the doubletree in San Pedro the night before. Where in California are you located. Anychance on meeting up? Karen

Karen I am in Temecula which is about 1 1/2 hrs from San Pedro but my boyfriend lives in Santa Ana which is somewhat close to San pedro .... I might be able to meet up AFTER your cruise as I work the week /weekend of thanksgiving .... It would be fun !

Who knows if they will have the swine flu vaccine but you can sure hope !

My cruise is only 8 weeks away now . We are sailing Disney again despite our issues . I have booked a room on the same deck as the box and am HOPING it will go a little smoother .... I am still proceeding with a Lawyer though and want to solve the issue for everyone who sails . DCL is AMAZING in every other respect ... they are so helpful with my guide dog and I at shows and while onboard :-)

Have a good day everyone !

Cari and Denver

Miriam: Congratulations on your potential new family member and, I love the name JJ. It's simple and easy for training. Your life will be filled with so much joy and who doesn't need that!

Trina: That seems to be the most asked question of all! It's so funny....the general public just doesn't have a clue what a dog can be trained to do. Which is why I can't wait to inform some of them on our cruise on September 5th.

Cari: I am so appalled at how Disney acted with the potty-box......here is some information for you.

We have not taken Brenda on RCCL-so, I can't talk about them.

CELEBRITY: 800-242-6374 - They provided a 4x4 wooden box, filled with sand [we had to ask that they replace the sand with mulch and they did] on a forward deck. We had to walk to it but it was easy to get to and was always accessible.

HOLLAND AMERICA: 800-577-1731- Provided a 4x3 wooden box, filled with grass sod. It was placed on the Promenade Deck-Forward. On our second cruise with them, they placed the box on our veranda.

NCL: 800-659-4639 - Provided a 4x4 woodem box, filled witjh cyprus mulch. It was placed in a storage closet, two cabins down from ours.

CARNIVAL: 800-327-5782 - Provided a 4x4 wooden box, filled with dirt. It was placed on our veranda.

PRINCESS: 661-284-4521 - Allison Muff - 4x4 wooden box, filled with mulch and placed in a storage closet near our cabin or in the stairwell, near our cabin [the stairwell would not be good for wheelchairs-too heavy]. But, it would work for you, Cari.

Mexico documents needed.

1. Department of Food and Agriculture-Certificate for Interstate or International Movement of Small Animals - It has all the information needed from your Vet. Get it from your Vet-he/she will fill it out and give it to you. It has all vaccines and information on Heartguard usage.

2. Copy of Service Dog Certification from CCI [if you have something fine, if not that's okay, not all org's. give out Permits. It just makes travel so much easier.]

3. Copy of City Dog License

4. Copy of Picture I.D. [i supply my driver's license & copy of Passport]

For our Alaska cruise, on September 5th. I am using the same documentation that I used for our April cruise, except I am including Brenda's new 3 year Certification (exp. 2012.) Allison asked me to fax her that information and did not ask for anything else. Brenda is current on all vaccines [that's their main concern] and I use Heartguard and Advantix, religously! Another concern of foreign ports.

That's it.

***We are looking at cruising Carnival in January 17th on the Splendor and Sapphire Princess on April 17th [see if any of you can book on these dates, that would be so much fun!]

Roz - Thanks for the info ... ok so when I went to alaska the alaska ports didnt care about the health cert but i KNOW you have to have one for Canadian ports and it can not be less than 10 days prior to travel so be careful i know you said your using docs from April right ?

Ok so the usual for mexico i was just making sure i didnt need an import permit like i do for nassau ....

Hmmmmm Carnival huh ... Princess huh ? Maybe I can convince hubby ... if not my best friend Mary and I are looking at January on Carnival - wouldnt that be a BLAST !!!!!!!!!!!!

Roz - Thanks for the info ... ok so when I went to alaska the alaska ports didnt care about the health cert but i KNOW you have to have one for Canadian ports and it can not be less than 10 days prior to travel so be careful i know you said your using docs from April right ?

Ok so the usual for mexico i was just making sure i didnt need an import permit like i do for nassau ....

Hmmmmm Carnival huh ... Princess huh ? Maybe I can convince hubby ... if not my best friend Mary and I are looking at January on Carnival - wouldnt that be a BLAST !!!!!!!!!!!!

\

Cari: Thanks for the info. I'll contact Allison and see what she says. I don't intend to leave the ship in Canada, at all. Only in Alaska, we have two excursions planned. More than enough for "PaPa!"

Let me know about the January 17th cruise onboard the Carnival Splendor. That would be so much fun. Brenda and Denver together again! It's a "doggie love story!"

***We are looking at cruising Carnival in January 17th on the Splendor and Sapphire Princess on April 17th [see if any of you can book on these dates, that would be so much fun!]

Roz, a band called the Katinas will be onboard the Splendor January 17th and I'm trying to book with their group cruise. I just need to find someone to go with me! Hope to see you onboard!

Roz, a band called the Katinas will be onboard the Splendor January 17th and I'm trying to book with their group cruise. I just need to find someone to go with me! Hope to see you onboard!

Okay! So, now I know great minds think alike! That would be wonderful.

Cindy are you sitting down....guess what I found out about your sweet boy Wexler???? Even though you and i have never met in person and we live on different coasts, your sweet Wexler was born not 5 minutes from us! Further, I know his brother who has graduated and I know his mom! His mom is a sweet dog and just the best mom. The breeder caretaker is a wonderful woman (very dedicated to CCI) who does a terrific job raising, caring for and teaching the pups until they get to the puppy raisers. I might be able to get you a newborn picture of your sweet boy if you are interested?! Small world huh?

Omg Kim what a small world. We actually have a pic of Wexlers mom. Her name is Ember. But we do not have a baby pic of him that small. We would love one if you can get it. Tell the breeder caretaker we appreciate everything she does. All those volunteers are incredible.

Cindy

Edited by rangeley

Hi Everyone. I had an 11 month old lab/golden fella out yesterday. He was so sweet. Stopped to visit with my MIL and she said he was the best dog yet that I have brought over. She had such a smile on her face as he had his head nestled on her lap and she stroked his ears. Then she walked around the apartment with her walker and he stayed right be her side. Of course he was so friendly with the children at the hospital. His biggest challenge is that he is so social, wants to visit and see everyone. If I had him for more than a day visit, I am sure I could have worked on that. Mostly he is just young. As long as I stayed focused on him, he stayed focused on me, so I know he can do it.

Off to visit puppies today. This litter of four goldens are so bold and curious. It is going to be fun to watch them grow up.

Hi Everyone. I had an 11 month old lab/golden fella out yesterday. He was so sweet. Stopped to visit with my MIL and she said he was the best dog yet that I have brought over. She had such a smile on her face as he had his head nestled on her lap and she stroked his ears. Then she walked around the apartment with her walker and he stayed right be her side. Of course he was so friendly with the children at the hospital. His biggest challenge is that he is so social, wants to visit and see everyone. If I had him for more than a day visit, I am sure I could have worked on that. Mostly he is just young. As long as I stayed focused on him, he stayed focused on me, so I know he can do it.

Off to visit puppies today. This litter of four goldens are so bold and curious. It is going to be fun to watch them grow up.

I just love your outlook on life. You give so much to others, are so positive and see the potential in every living being!

Kim and Keldon

Omg Kim what a small world. We actually have a pic of Wexlers mom. Her name is Ember. But we do not have a baby pic of him that small. We would love one if you can get it. Tell the breeder caretaker we appreciate everything she does. All those volunteers are incredible.

Cindy

Yep Ember is a sweet wonderful mom. I will see if I can get a newbie picture. The breeder caretakers often send the newborn pics to our group. They are so adorable when they are so little! Ember's breeder caretaker probably has a picture of him. When I see her breeder caretaker in a few days I will pass on your thoughts and ask if she has any newbie or under 2 month pics.

Hey i meant to ask how is it going with the dogs? Also, is John back at school and how is Wexler doing with that?

Kim and Keldon

Brenda's worst, worst, worst habit is being overly-friendly. She thinks she has to greet every eye-stare; every hi, Roz; every person who's walking towards me or her......I have to physically pull/correct her on-leash; turn around, walk the other way for a few steps and then re-direct her. It has nothing to do with her "youth" considering she's now 9 1/2 years old. It's ingrained in her!!!!

It's always been her. I have to physically wear her out if I know we're going out socially; I let her play, very hard, chasing the ball or we go for a long walk before we go into a meeting room. She's been like this since we graduated together and when they should have corrected it, they didn't, so, it's "marked" in her head....."people coming, oh, boy......let's greet them!!!!!!"

CCI knew this was her personality and knew that Brenda would not do well with a shy/withdrawn person.....so, they paired us together and I love every challenge of it!!!!!

Yep Ember is a sweet wonderful mom. I will see if I can get a newbie picture. The breeder caretakers often send the newborn pics to our group. They are so adorable when they are so little! Ember's breeder caretaker probably has a picture of him. When I see her breeder caretaker in a few days I will pass on your thoughts and ask if she has any newbie or under 2 month pics.

Hey i meant to ask how is it going with the dogs? Also, is John back at school and how is Wexler doing with that?

Kim and Keldon

Kim, Things are going fine. Bailee is dealing with it. No growling or anything like that. He tries to kiss her and she just stands there and wags her tail.

I'm posting a link to our pics let me know if it works. http://www.shutterfly.com/home/myshutterfly.sfly

Cindy

Edited by rangeley