Waitlist for excursions

dorisg55

DH and I will be sailing on the Crown on 8/19. We are looking at the excursions and the one we are interested in is waitlist only. What are our chances of getting on that excursion or should we wait until we board and then try to sign up for it?

DH and I will be sailing on the Crown on 8/19. We are looking at the excursions and the one we are interested in is waitlist only. What are our chances of getting on that excursion or should we wait until we board and then try to sign up for it?

I assume your looking at the princess web site for these excursions.

The problem with your plan is getting locked out of your 2nd choice. Go ahead and make your second choice on the Princess site, but if you can be wait listed for your first choice, do that as well.

I forget the exact number of days prior to a cruise you are locked out of the “Personalizer”, but you can make changes up to the last minute. I do not know the policy of canceling one excursion for another once on the ship. A call to Princess may straighten out the problem.

The odds of an excursion opening up is really dependent on the type of tour. If it's a land bus/van type tour, additonal vehicles can often be arranged and the prognostic is good.

If there are limiting factors, such as boat capacity, Seqway or 4WD vehicles, etc it may well not open up. Those, however, are usually marked "closed" instead of "Waitlist".

I haven't tried, but as jlp20 suggests, if the system will allow booking both a waitlist and another as backup, go ahead and do that.

The Shore tours close ten days from sailing. It's very easy to cancel after boarding. The cutoff for no-fee canx is @ 24 hours before tour date.

You didn't mention which port or excursion you're interested in.

I would suggest you check out the message board for the port in question to see if there are any private excursions comparable to the one you're interested in. Also check out the Roll Call for your cruise...others on your cruise may have some good suggestions.

good luck...

Lew

We were waitlisted for an excursion in Hawaii and the second day on the ship we were given tickets for it. Go ahead and register for the waitlisted tour on the personalizer as well as an alternate that you would like. We got a credit for the other tour we were booked on. Our tour only had room for 28 people and we were able to get on it.

I'm waitlisted for a sailing trip this month on Bora Bora. Princess told me to go ahead and book another trip and then, once we board the ship, if the waitlist is lifted, I can cancel the second booking.

By the way ... a waitlist doesn't always mean that the trip is overbooked. In my case, a new engine is being installed in the catamaran, and, Princess is waiting to see if the work is done before they confirm the trip. We were one of the first to book the "sail" and we have been "waitlisted" since the time that shore excursions first opened up.

Archived