shore excursions through cruise line?

arb711

I am a first time cruiser, traveling solo, Radiance to Alaska at the end of August. One poster (in another thread) suggested that as a first-timer I book excursions through the cruise line, that it might be easier and therefore more fun to have it all taken care of and not have to figure everything out. WHich sounds good to me - but I read all these posts about great excursions booked privately! For example I'm thinking of horseback riding in Skagway - but every post I read talks about Joni at Emerald Lake, which would be difficult for me without a car. I know booking trips yourself can be cheaper, but is there really a big difference in quality?

I am a first time cruiser, traveling solo, Radiance to Alaska at the end of August. One poster (in another thread) suggested that as a first-timer I book excursions through the cruise line, that it might be easier and therefore more fun to have it all taken care of and not have to figure everything out. WHich sounds good to me - but I read all these posts about great excursions booked privately! For example I'm thinking of horseback riding in Skagway - but every post I read talks about Joni at Emerald Lake, which would be difficult for me without a car. I know booking trips yourself can be cheaper, but is there really a big difference in quality?

try to go to your roll call and see if you can share a ride. Or checkout southeast tour, which can drive you to Emerald Lake, then do horseback riding with Joni.

I would tend to concur that a first time Alaska cruiser traveling solo would probably do very well with the ship's excursions. There are so many wonderful things to do in Alaska and the ship's excursions include most of the very best!

OTOH, independent excursions can work well also. Many of them can be booked online and will pick you up at the ship. Checking the roll call for tours to share would work fine too.

Independent excursions are rarely very much cheaper. If you save 10

% that would be about all. A lot of them are really good quality, probably comparable to the ship's excursions. But others are fly by nights and could cause problems. Booking independent excursions takes a lot of research. There is a post on this board from someone who signed up with a company that got rave reviews, and then was very disappointed. It depends on how much work you want to do and how adventurous you are!

Driving a car solo to Emerald Lake should not be a problem, either. Then you could book the horseback riding on your own.

Have a GREAT cruise!

We've just returned from The Radiance of the Sea - North to Alaska Cruisetour. But you know what even after 5 cruises, we still book thru the ship. I like the fact that everything has been taken care of for me - after selecting what excursion we wanted to go on etc.

The biggest thing I think is having the ship wait for you if your excursion in late. As a matter of fact while we were in Ketchikan the cruise ship had to wait 45 - 1 hr because a tour (booked thru the ship) ran into problems. They radioed the ship and the ship waited for them. There were about 20 passengers. However, if you book on your own - sorry - the ship does not wait for you. We've been on a ship where the ship was pulling away from the pier, as passengers were getting out of a cab -waving for the ship to stop/wait for them. Everyone on the ship was waving back as we continued to pull away. The passengers, then have to meet the ship in the next port - at their own expense. To me , that is not worth the headache - worring about if I'm going to make it back to the ship in time ....If you book and only book thru the cruise ship, the ship will wait for you no matter how long it takes.

Yes, It may never happen to you, but you know what - is it really worth it to try your luck each time,..only you can answer that.

Whatever you decide - have fun and enjoy yourself.

I would book through the ship for several reasons;

It's your first time on a cruise.

By going through the cruise line you are assured of being on a tour with a tour operator who meets the standards of the cruise line.

If something goes wrong and the tour is delayed getting back to the ship the cruise ship will wait for you. If you are on your own private tour not through the cruise line and running late, the cruise ship can leave without you.

Enjoy your first cruise.

Keith

We usually book off the ship, with the exceptions of the excursions that last more than 31/2 hours. Those you should not take any chances on, you just never know. You always have the insurance that the excur. booked through the ship if late, the ship will wait. So far, we have never had a bad experience booking off the ship, but there is always a first time for everything! We are just really careful and go on alot of "recommended by friends" excursions.

I disagree, since you are on this board, already you have the ability to do your homework. In Alaska there are indeed some VERY superior independent touring options. What is the risk, frankly NONE. I have NEVER heard of an independent Alaska Vender EVER being the cause of a passenger missing their ship. It most likely is the persons OWN fault for poor planing. Alway tell the vendor your port times and go with their recommendation.

Joni is the horseback riding to consider. There is a tour option from Skagway for this.

Another consideration- have you traveled before??? I am never an advocate of "test trips" (first trip, you better be safe, don't venture out, wait for your next trip stuff) and for those that can be organized and make their own reservations going independent is an excellent consideration. But if you can not find your way past the dock, have problems with simple maps or direction, this is the only way I would recommend a ship tour.

I would tend to concur that a first time Alaska cruiser traveling solo would probably do very well with the ship's excursions. There are so many wonderful things to do in Alaska and the ship's excursions include most of the very best!

Independent excursions are rarely very much cheaper. If you save 10

% that would be about all. A lot of them are really good quality, probably comparable to the ship's excursions. But others are fly by nights and could cause problems. Booking independent excursions takes a lot of research. There is a post on this board from someone who signed up with a company that got rave reviews, and then was very disappointed. It depends on how much work you want to do and how adventurous you are!

QUOTE]

Where can you back this up??? Ship excursions are not always the "very best" and how much independent touring have you done here?? Many independents give you way better tours with personal attention, longer times and operated by residents, not the imports with scripts on some ship tours. What "fly by night" ALASKA tour operators are you referring to??? There is a big difference in Alaska business practices and the recommendations on this board, compared to some third world country.

If a choice to consider independent, I see no reason not to do so. Even if it is your first visit to Alaska and traveling alone. Make the best plans for your touring desires.

I totally agree with BQ - I have never booked excursions other than the ships', however, this time I did and we booked the southeasttours.com horseback riding with joni...... it is $175 per person, the van picks you up, you see all the beautiful scenery on your way to Emerald Lake - and then ride the horses for 2 hours, and of course, they bring you back to your ship.

I was very leary of booking independently this time, but decided I am a big girl and Dave, the tour leader is VERY reassuring about timing, etc. They come very highly recommended. Check it out - you have nothing to lose... After you speak to Dave you will feel great about doing it... It is my favorite excursion I am looking forward to.

Isn't everyone entitled to have an opinion on this without having to back things up.

Some of us have recommended getting their excursions through the cruise line since it's the OP first cruise that they take the shore excursions through the ship and have given reasons why we think it makes sense.

Others might have a different view on this and there certainly is not a right or wrong answer here.

There are advantages to booking private excursions and their are disadvantages and the same goes through booking through the cruise line.

So, please let's be respectful of peoples views and not challenge them.

Again, there is no right or wrong here as much of this is based on a variety of factors.

Keith

Thank you Budget Queen for all your suggestions and information you provide. Your comment regarding independent tours hits the nail on the head. So much of the ship's bottom line and net profit comes from the commissions they "earn", some people use the word extort from the tour providers.

What is the difference between ship vs independent? You might pay less, but if the price is the same you might get a longer, more personal and superior experience. If priced the same the tour provider and their employees might be receiving a fairer share of the money.

I speak for many Alaskan seasonal employees. Given the direction of the cruise ships dominating the tourism options and the commissions they require, most seasonal employees are making far less money than they used to make. Cost of living and our travel expenses are way up, while even the kindest employers can afford to pay less and remain in business.

Given the changes that have occured in the last five years if there continue to be land tours and recommended shopping stores, they need exemptions from U.S. labor law as collectively, most Americans will no longer be able to afford to work seasonally in Alaska.

Thanks again Budget Queen, you keep hope alive that there can be some intelligence aboard ship that manages to survive the ship brainwashings.

Hi

I am also traveling alone on the Serenade of the Seas for early Sept. I have heard alot of pros and cons to booking independent vs going with the tours by the ship.

I think it all comes down to what works for you. For me, I am open to either option. I am more likely to go independent if I have been to the port before and I have plenty of time. On the other hand, I tend to prefer ship tours because everything is taken care of and time management is not my concern. I know that when I went to Alaska 3 years ago, I was on my own in Juneau to look at the University and I was literally running to catch my ship. Time management is not my strong point.

For my Sept cruise, I booked one ship tour in Sitika and will book independent tour for skagway. I am opting to attempt Juneau on my own again.

Jennifer

Hi

I am also traveling alone on the Serenade of the Seas for early Sept. I have heard alot of pros and cons to booking independent vs going with the tours by the ship.

I think it all comes down to what works for you. For me, I am open to either option. I am more likely to go independent if I have been to the port before and I have plenty of time. On the other hand, I tend to prefer ship tours because everything is taken care of and time management is not my concern. I know that when I went to Alaska 3 years ago, I was on my own in Juneau to look at the University and I was literally running to catch my ship. Time management is not my strong point.

For my Sept cruise, I booked one ship tour in Sitika and will book independent tour for skagway. I am opting to attempt Juneau on my own again.

Jennifer

You have a good approach and attitude on this. Again, as you say it all comes down to what works best for someone and I couldn't agree more.

Keith

Isn't everyone entitled to have an opinion on this without having to back things up.

Some of us have recommended getting their excursions through the cruise line since it's the OP first cruise that they take the shore excursions through the ship and have given reasons why we think it makes sense.

Others might have a different view on this and there certainly is not a right or wrong answer here.

There are advantages to booking private excursions and their are disadvantages and the same goes through booking through the cruise line.

Again, there is no right or wrong here as much of this is based on a variety of factors.

Keith

I am alwys respectful of other peoples' views... that's how I have made many decisions for my upcoming Alaska cruise.

Who is challenging this?

I hope you didn't think I was..... I simply wanted the OP to know that it is definitely doable - and the specific excursion mentioned, is not available through the ships.

[quote name=Budget Queen;10766366Where can you back this up??? Ship excursions are not always the "very best" and how much independent touring have you done here?? Many independents give you way better tours with personal attention' date=' longer times and operated by residents, not the imports with scripts on some ship tours. What "fly by night" ALASKA tour operators are you referring to??? There is a big difference in Alaska business practices and the recommendations on this board, compared to some third world country.

.[/quote]

You know you and I disagree on this issue. We have done it again and again. And again and again you choose to make it personal, like I stepped on your puppy's toes!

I posted an opinion, based on many cruises to many places, including lots to Alaska. You posted a different opinion. Now the OP and all the lurkers get to consider both opinions. That is the main value of these boards.

These repeated personal attacks are totally non-productive. Give me, and all the readers of this board, a break.

I am alwys respectful of other peoples' views... that's how I have made many decisions for my upcoming Alaska cruise.

Who is challenging this?

I hope you didn't think I was..... I simply wanted the OP to know that it is definitely doable - and the specific excursion mentioned, is not available through the ships.

Your post was fine.

Please reread the Budget Queens. People should be able to give different views without having to see responses like that IMHO.

As I said there is usually not a right or wrong on cruise vs. private excursions so people who want to post a differing view should do so in a respectful way.

Keith

Keith

The post claims there are "fly by night" operators. Who are they??? My experience is this is NOT a concern in Alaska. I disagree, this is a right or wrong answer. IF he knows of specific shady operators that he knows of, then list them. Otherwise, why try and slant the facts of well known and run independent vendors.

You know you and I disagree on this issue. We have done it again and again. And again and again you choose to make it personal, like I stepped on your puppy's toes!

I posted an opinion, based on many cruises to many places, including lots to Alaska. You posted a different opinion. Now the OP and all the lurkers get to consider both opinions. That is the main value of these boards.

These repeated personal attacks are totally non-productive. Give me, and all the readers of this board, a break.

Where is your basis for your "fly by night" comment??? Who are these vendors you are referring to??? Why not list them??

I highly recommend the horseback riding in Skagway. If you book through southeast tours, they will transport you there and back and give you alot of interesting information about the area and also stop for picture opportunities. I book about 50/50 ship excursion/private, for me it all depends on the excursion, sometimes I find a fantastic one through the ship, sometimes on my own. I will relay information that I have gotten from others who have been on Alaska cruises-book your whale watching independently. The people who have gone through the ship say that there are so many people on those excursions. The independents don't have a lot of people on them and can cater to you and what you want to see.

I did Alaska on Radiance last month and it was great, the ship was wonderful also.

Have fun in Alaska

I virtually never book shore excursions through ship, did not do so even when I was the first-time cruiser, but I can see that for the convenience's sake people are willing to pay a little more than doing it indenpendently. I say, "Why not?"

However, having arranged all these shore excursions on my own without a hitch, which really isn't a big deal at all (if you can reserve a cruise, you can certainly reserve an independent shore excursion), I am in the "indepedent camp" forever.

Where is your basis for your "fly by night" comment??? Who are these vendors you are referring to??? Why not list them??

A warning to be careful about tour operators in any port, including Alaska and other US ports, is simply wise consumerism. There are hundreds of operators in Alaska. To suggest that all of them are top flight and no caution is needed is irresponsible, IMHO. There have been numerous posts on this board from customers dissatisfied with tours in Alaska.

If you really want specifics, Queenie, right now I am sweating out the pre payment I made to the paddlewheeler in Ketchikan. (LOOK, MercedMike on an independent tour!) I am hoping they are legitimate, but at the minute it seems to be questionable. See other posts on this board. Seems as if my own advice would have been good there.

>:-)

As an honors math student in college, I was taught that any statement that begins ALWAYS can be disproven by giving one specific counter-example. Q.E., as we say in math, D. I really suggest you eliminate the word ALWAYS from your posts and substitute OFTEN or FREQUENTLY. It will make them more reasonable.

Thank you all for your terrific suggestions, I really appreciate getting thoughtful responses to my question.

cruzysue and 4bythebeach - are you saying that to do horseback riding with Joni, you are picked up from the ship?? That changes everything for me! Several posters have said that I would need to rent a car, which might be a little more than I'm ready to do on my own (did I mention that I'm crusing alone?). But so many people have said that her trip is so superior, I'd love to do it.

They pick you up in a van (along with other passengers) at a location near the dock.

It would be a great excursion for a single traveler because you are with others who also need to get back to their ship. It is a 6 hour excursion - so make sure you have plenty of time. I was not intrested in renting a car, either.

Our ship leaves Skagway at 4:30 and I will be back at 3:30...

If you contact Dave he will tell you and reassure you of anything you might be worried about. Let me know if you do this and we want to hear all about it when you get back, too.

When are you traveling?

arb711, we usually book our tours with RCCL especially if doing more than a couple hours for the reason mentioned before about getting back to the ship on time...we are going to Alaska in a few weeks and we only booked one excursion so far with RCCL...the Skagway Extravaganza...because we are travelling in a group of 6 we felt it would not be fair for someone to have to do all that driving...the other ports we are going to decide what we want to do and go from the pier...in Juneau the tramway is right near the ship...in Ketchikan we want to do the DUCK tour and see the the lumberjack show... for the most part we have not had any complaints with RCCL excursions...I hope this helps!

penguin6969, we are doing the same cruise...Radiance NB on 8/10...I would love any additional info we may need to know...we are trying to change our transfer from Seward to Anchorage to the train...and we are looking to see where we should do our whale watching tour...we wanted to do Orca in Juneau but thought we might want to whale watch in Icy Strait Point instead...any suggestions...what did you do?

What are the menus like on ship...are they the standard RCCL menus?

Archived