shore excursions through cruise line?

arb711

Thank you all for your terrific suggestions, I really appreciate getting thoughtful responses to my question.

cruzysue and 4bythebeach - are you saying that to do horseback riding with Joni, you are picked up from the ship?? That changes everything for me! Several posters have said that I would need to rent a car, which might be a little more than I'm ready to do on my own (did I mention that I'm crusing alone?). But so many people have said that her trip is so superior, I'd love to do it.

Yes, transportation is included when you book through southeast tours, as crazy-sue said it is just a couple blocks from the pier, an easy enjoyable walk and then they drop you back off right there at the Red Onion where you were picked up. The ride to the Yukon is a bit long which will give you plenty of time to meet your fellow passengers. Have fun

Travelling Radiance NB 8/24 - 6 weeks and 3 days, but who's counting....

I didn't realize that it was a 6 hour tour (twice as long as Gilligan's Island!). There are too many other things I want to do in Juneau, so that makes it a bit less appealing. Maybe next trip!

Has anyone done the horseback riding in Skagway with RCCL? It sounds like a fun way to see the scenery.

Travelling Radiance NB 8/24 - 6 weeks and 3 days, but who's counting....

I didn't realize that it was a 6 hour tour (twice as long as Gilligan's Island!). There are too many other things I want to do in Juneau, so that makes it a bit less appealing. Maybe next trip!

Has anyone done the horseback riding in Skagway with RCCL? It sounds like a fun way to see the scenery.

The 6 hour horseback tour is in Skagway, not Juneau - How long will you be in port of Skagway.... Sounds like you might be chickening out..... lol

Skagway, Juneau - I'd better book these excursions soon, I'm starting to confuse myself!

The horseback riding with Joni sounds fantastic, but I'm not sure I want to commit 6 hrs to it - yes, my thighs and I are chickening out, I'd like to be able to walk the next day!!:p

The one through RCL is 3 1/2 hrs, a bit more managable. It's described as being in Klondike Gold Rush National Park and the "old waterfront" of Dyea Valley. I guess there's no way that could be anything but georgeous, right?

We are in Skagway all day (7am - 830pm), but I'd also like to do the musher's camp (PUPPIES!) and also have time to just ramble around.

A warning to be careful about tour operators in any port, including Alaska and other US ports, is simply wise consumerism. There are hundreds of operators in Alaska. To suggest that all of them are top flight and no caution is needed is irresponsible, IMHO. There have been numerous posts on this board from customers dissatisfied with tours in Alaska.

A dissatisfied customer or two does not prove that a tour is shady or fly-by-night. Lord knows that there is dissatisfaction with many tours booked through the ship as well. And BQ wasn't suggesting that one shouldn't research private excursions. From all of her posts, I would say that she is a HUGE proponant of doing one's research. She is simply saying that it is not right to assume that the ship's tour will necessarily be better or more legitimate. Of this, I would say she is undeniably right. There may well be cases where the ship's tour is the best option, but that is not AUTOMATICALLY the case.

Skagway, Juneau - I'd better book these excursions soon, I'm starting to confuse myself!

The horseback riding with Joni sounds fantastic, but I'm not sure I want to commit 6 hrs to it - yes, my thighs and I are chickening out, I'd like to be able to walk the next day!!:p

The one through RCL is 3 1/2 hrs, a bit more managable. It's described as being in Klondike Gold Rush National Park and the "old waterfront" of Dyea Valley. I guess there's no way that could be anything but georgeous, right?

We are in Skagway all day (7am - 830pm), but I'd also like to do the musher's camp (PUPPIES!) and also have time to just ramble around.

You won't be on horseback for 6 hrs since you will be driving to and from Emerald Lake. I didn't do the horsebackriding but that drive is incredible.

Ruth

She is simply saying that it is not right to assume that the ship's tour will necessarily be better or more legitimate. Of this, I would say she is undeniably right. There may well be cases where the ship's tour is the best option, but that is not AUTOMATICALLY the case.

Yep. Go back and read my original post.

I would tend to concur that a first time Alaska cruiser traveling solo would probably do very well with the ship's excursions. There are so many wonderful things to do in Alaska and the ship's excursions include most of the very best!

OTOH, independent excursions can work well also. Many of them can be booked online and will pick you up at the ship. Checking the roll call for tours to share would work fine too.

BQ is the one that says independent tours are ALWAYS better than ship's tours. That is why I suggested she substitute OFTEN or FREQUENTLY. Or, as I did, say things like "probably" or "can work." Ship's trips are not always the perfect choice, neither are independent excursions. Many newbies and lurkers are on this board, and a variety of opinions is all for their benefit. Discussing various viewpoints on subjects enhances that variety. Attacking people who disagree with you chills out that variety. That's why I pick my words carefully, and NEVER say "never"!!

>:-)

In the end there are advantages and disadvantages to ship tours and their are advantages and disadvantages to private tours. One is not better than the other and like everything in life all of this comes down to personal taste.

To me this discussion is simlar to what is the best cruise ship in Alaska. Some feel strongly about one line while others feel strongly about another line.

With all of that said, for someone on their first cruise I do recommend that the utilize the ships tours. I think it's a safer approach for a first time cruiser (and I know that some will disagree). To me it's analagous with using a TA. I'm a believer in using a TA for all our cruises but at a minimum I recommend it for a first time cruiser since a good TA can help the first time cruiser make mistakes.

Anyway, there is really no right or wrong here. And people need to do what they think works best for them.

Keith

I vote to book the excursions yourself! We enjoyed all three Alaskan ports (Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan) and the Tracy Arm Glacier. We had incredible weather. We did not book any cruise ship excursions —– yet we saw more scenery and wildlife than most passengers. We were a family of four staying in one inside cabin. We would do it again.

Complete Alaska review: http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/alaska.html

BQ is the one that says independent tours are ALWAYS better than ship's tours.

Where do you get that? The only time she ever used the word "always" in any of her posts on this thread was here:

Where can you back this up??? Ship excursions are not always the "very best" and how much independent touring have you done here?? Many independents give you way better tours with personal attention, longer times and operated by residents, not the imports with scripts on some ship tours. What "fly by night" ALASKA tour operators are you referring to??? There is a big difference in Alaska business practices and the recommendations on this board, compared to some third world country.

She was making the exact same point that you are making in reverse. She was saying that ship excursions are not always the best. That is NOT the same as saying or implying that independent excursions ARE always the best...

Our experience has been that the ship excursions are more expensive and more of a "cattle call" experience.

Case in point is floatplanes in Ketchikan. Booking through the ship (Princess) is $239 each with a large company using mostly seasonal pilots. You never get to land and go ashore.

Booking with Michelle at Island Wings is $209 each, is a half hour longer flight, and she lands at a remote location and you can get out and explore for 20-30 minutes. Also has full intercom headsets for everybody to communicate with her and each other. She is an owner/operator with an impeccable reputation and 15,000 hours of Alaska airtime. Her van picks you up right at the ship and delivers you back. So does SeaWind Aviation (another owner/operator) which was our second pick if we couldn't go with Michelle.

I would probably book more ship excursions in exotic third world ports...but Alaska is the good ol' USA and there is little to worry about if you do your homework.

You are all giving me such great information - I'm booking private tours all over the place!

I got no responses about horseback riding in Skagway (which doesn't seem a good sign) - how about helicopter/glacier/dogsled combo in Juneau? I've been planning to book with the cruise line, but if there's something better, I'm all for it!

You are all giving me such great information - I'm booking private tours all over the place!

I got no responses about horseback riding in Skagway (which doesn't seem a good sign) - how about helicopter/glacier/dogsled combo in Juneau? I've been planning to book with the cruise line, but if there's something better, I'm all for it!

Joni horseback riding out of Carcross, gets consistant raves. I don't recall ever, even seeing a so so post, over several years??

Try http://www.coastalhelicopters.com for glacier dog sledding out of Juneau, usually the cheapest option with this long established company.

Sometimes the excursions are with the same vendor, whether booked independently or through the ship. In Juneau, the Taku Lodge Flight and Feast is $225 when booked directly with Wings Airways: http://www.wingsairways.com/juneau-floatplane-tours.html Princess charges $265.

There are a few excursions that are only available through the ship - such as the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari in Skagway and the Mendenhall Glacier Canoe Adventure in Juneau. Both of those get very good reviews.

Thanks, Budget Queen, I just booked with Coastal.

I've seen the same rave reviews of Joni - but her excursion is 6 hours, and I don't think I want to commit that amount of time, there are too many other things I want to do! Which is why I've been interested in the horseback RCCL excursion in Skagway, but I'm a little reluctant if I get no feedback on it.

MaderaMan, I'm waiting to hear back from both of your Misty Fjords recommendations as to whether they have a trip that will fit in my schedule.

Thanks to all! Keep 'em coming!

Thanks, Budget Queen, I just booked with Coastal.

I've seen the same rave reviews of Joni - but her excursion is 6 hours, and I don't think I want to commit that amount of time, there are too many other things I want to do! Which is why I've been interested in the horseback RCCL excursion in Skagway, but I'm a little reluctant if I get no feedback on it.

MaderaMan, I'm waiting to hear back from both of your Misty Fjords recommendations as to whether they have a trip that will fit in my schedule.

Thanks to all! Keep 'em coming!

It was several years ago, but a room mate of mine did horseback ride out of Skagway, she claimed it so so and a very basic ride. She was hoping for something more. At the time, they also were not allowed off the horses once they started out until they returned. I'm not a horse person, and did a different tour, so I'm not sure why this was an issue with her???

As for the time involved with Joni, you are also getting a wonderful scenic drive and I'm sure commentary. Downtown Skagway is small, so even an hour walking around would get you to some interesting sights. Overall, Joni is probably a better tour.

Not ever having been there, I don't claim to be an expert by any means.....lol

But we have been planning this trip for almost a year and, believe me, I explored ALL the options.

Your ship is in port in Skagway for such a long time, you have time to do many things. As I have learned here on these boards, Skagway is really all about that drive up to Emerald Lake and the Yukon.

Not sure if you will find a better excursion to include all the things you mentioned wanting to do.

Oh boy. I thought I had the whole thing worked out!!! But it looks like I don't want to miss Joni, Emerald Lake, and all of it.

The other thing I had wanted to do in Skagway is the musher's camp/sled dog thing. So here are a whole bunch more questions: I've booked the helicopter/glacier/dogled excursion in Juneau, but there may not be enough snow for the dogs (according to Coastal). I really do want to do something with the dogs. I have time in Juneau to do one of the dogsled (with wheels) excursions if there are any after 3:00. RCCL's shore excursion site is down right now, so I can't check there - so

1) what private companies should I check with?

2) does anyone know if there are late afternoon excursions? It seems that most are in the morning or early afternoon.

3) if I end up doing the dogsled on the glacier, am I being too repetetive to do another dogsled in the aftenoon? I assume that sledding on the glacier is very different from anything else. And I am a dog person.

Okay, folks, you've been so persuasive about Joni that my carefully built schedule is in danger of collapsing! Help!

Oh boy. I thought I had the whole thing worked out!!! But it looks like I don't want to miss Joni, Emerald Lake, and all of it.

The other thing I had wanted to do in Skagway is the musher's camp/sled dog thing. So here are a whole bunch more questions: I've booked the helicopter/glacier/dogled excursion in Juneau, but there may not be enough snow for the dogs (according to Coastal). I really do want to do something with the dogs. I have time in Juneau to do one of the dogsled (with wheels) excursions if there are any after 3:00. RCCL's shore excursion site is down right now, so I can't check there - so

1) what private companies should I check with?

2) does anyone know if there are late afternoon excursions? It seems that most are in the morning or early afternoon.

3) if I end up doing the dogsled on the glacier, am I being too repetetive to do another dogsled in the aftenoon? I assume that sledding on the glacier is very different from anything else. And I am a dog person.

Okay, folks, you've been so persuasive about Joni that my carefully built schedule is in danger of collapsing! Help!

The dog musher's camp at Caribou Crossing sounds as if it will be great for you! After Emerald Lake and the horseback ride, stop there on the way back and enjoy the puppies and the ride!

Check out our pics at

http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/alaskaZ.html

Wow, Mike, are you really solving this problem for me so quickly?? fantastic!

A couple of follow up questions: How do you stop on the way back - does the Southeast bus stop there? and if so, how do you get back to the pier?

I struggled over dog sledding, too. If I were going to do it - I would do it in Juneau - it is real dog sledding on a glacier.... Haven't heard a lot of reviews about the wheeled mushing at Carcross.... I wouldn't really be interested in that.

I wanted to do do the Juneau dogsledding but decided we would go whale watching instead.

I'm not sure if southeast tours stops at the dog place. You should really give them a call.

Whatever you do, relax and enjoy!

We have done excursions through the ship as well as booking with independents. On or first cruise, DD was 21 months old so we didn't book through the ship since we didn't know how well she would do on the excursions and went on our own--it worked great.

The only time we book through the cruise line is when an excursion we really want to do is available only through the ship (like swimming with dolphins when we went to PV) or it's a long excursion that goes to a remote area or an excursion ends within a an hour or two of the time we need to be back on the ship. We've found that excursions we've booked with independents are more personal and less crowded, and most of the time they're less expensive, too. As an example, in Grand Cayman, we booked with an independent to swim with the stingrays--we got there 30 minutes before the cruise line tour did. Where we had fewer than 30 people on our boat, the cruise line tour's boat easily had 150 people on it! We paid less and had a much smaller group. As long as that's the situation, we'll continue to book with independents.

I don't worry about missing the ship because we do our homework and plan well. :)

Happy sailing!

Jayne

Aloha:

We will be going to Alaska in September. Juneau, Ketchikan & Sitka. After doing ALOT of research on these boards and other sites, we opted for one tour of each. One tour thru the cruise line, one independant. The cruise line tour was only available thru cruise line and the independant tour was chosen after reading/researching the company.

Being from Hawaii, we too are aware of how there are hundreds of tour operators and how do you choose? I say research, research, research. :) Aloha mauitraveler

Archived