News about Talbots

Jane110

For those of you who like the Fashion tips from inside the industry.......

The President of Liz Claiborne, Trudy Sullivan is leaving and is getting a huge promotion and will be the CEO of Talbots.

Talbots line, which needs some serious re-merchandising should start looking better by next year as Trudy, a respected industry merchandiser, works her magic.

As a dedicated Talbot's shopper, I can only hope that she does away with so much of the sleeveless stuff and so much stretch fabric. It is impossible to find a cocktail or after 5 dress/pantsuit that isn't sleeveless or low neckline. If it does have sleeves, it is a jacket over a sleeveless dress which ends up looking like MOB. It didn't use to be that way. Lately, they seem to be merchandising to the younger crowd which has never been their demographic. I moved from Liz to Talbots several years ago when Liz's styling took a downturn. Somebody out there needs to market to those of us who still dress for the office. Not all of us look good in stretch crops and sleeveless skinny tops nor do we wear them to the office.

We are very lucky in the Chicago area to have a wonderul Talbot's outlet in Park Ridge, a suburb. They will send emails when they are having their sales -- when they have a sale, everything is at least 20% off and I've bought items that were as high as 75% off. When walking into a sale at the outlet it is easy to see what didn't sell. A whole rack of bright orange chiffon cocktail dresses? A whole rack of flourescent green blazers? Obviosly not good merchandising.

However, I have found many lovely items suitable for formal evenings on cruises and inexpensive enough that if I am tired of it by the next cruise I can give it away.

As a dedicated Talbot's shopper, I can only hope that she does away with so much of the sleeveless stuff and so much stretch fabric.

That's funny because I started buying Talbotts because I could find some decent sleeveless stretch knit dresses and other things I can wear for work (I'm 34) Guess that appeal to a younger demographic worked?;)

As a dedicated Talbot's shopper, I can only hope that she does away with so much of the sleeveless stuff and so much stretch fabric. It is impossible to find a cocktail or after 5 dress/pantsuit that isn't sleeveless or low neckline. If it does have sleeves, it is a jacket over a sleeveless dress which ends up looking like MOB. It didn't use to be that way. Lately, they seem to be merchandising to the younger crowd which has never been their demographic. I moved from Liz to Talbots several years ago when Liz's styling took a downturn. Somebody out there needs to market to those of us who still dress for the office. Not all of us look good in stretch crops and sleeveless skinny tops nor do we wear them to the office.

Tell her, not me! :D

Seriously, write to them. Why not?

Tell her, not me! :D

Seriously, write to them. Why not?

I have filled out every on-line survey they have ever sent me -and there have been several. I have spoken to store managers, district managers, etc. The manager at my local Talbots says that the lack of garments with sleeves is the biggest complaint she hears. The second biggest is too many crop pant styles. We were discussing the sleeve issue one day with the district manager and by the time the conversation ended, there were 6 women all agreeing that they wanted more dresses and formal wear with sleeves and coverage. As one of them pointed out-throwing a shawl over your shoulders doesn't solve the problem. Maybe this new President will listen. Unfortunately, my days of being a size 8-10 with skinny arms are history.

I like 90% of what they offer, but have noticed that they have dramatically expanded their merchandise in the last couple of years. It used to be that there were about three catalogues each year, and the two "big" sales. Now there are at least twelve catalogues and four major sales. Our local store carries only resort style wear, with a very small selection of work clothes and absolutely no dresses. This selection is completely different from anything I find in their stores in Orlando, Jacksonville, Chicago or Calgary.

It seems like they're spread themselves too thin and trying to be too many things to too many people. Granted, Liz Claiborne did the same thing with their classic, business, casual and golf lines.

Anyway, I love the sleeveless tops and more fitted styles. My mother hates them, but they're perfect for me. :) The other thing I really love is their shoes. They are one of the few stores that still carries narrows! Maybe I'll have to send them a letter telling them to keep the shoes!!!

Just my two cents worth.

Waterbaby, Hi:) I like alot of the clothing too. There are certain

items that are definitey not me, but might be you;)

I have said it before but I don't have one certain style of clothing:eek:,

if that makes me odd so be it:D. I don't do the "tailored" an awful

lot but they have other clothing I really like!

Talbots jeans fit me so well! And I like alot of their sweaters.

I remember a pair of black dress slacks I bought from them.

Talk about a great fit! Now those I still have.

But I enjoy much of the casual clothing they sell. I ordered

6 items on line yesterday morning from the sale they are having.

I am not sure everything is going to fit but the prices were

outstanding.

Lets see what the changes bring.

Let's hope there's a change in the line. I was in a Talbot's on vacation and I wasn't that excited by anything I saw in the store. They look like they are more concerned about the store's decor than the clothes in it.

Archived