Fashion/MissManners type question

Jane110

Hi Jane,

Just found this thread and had to put in my 2 cents. I have plain, mousey brown hair and my Dh has deep black hair. We are blessed with a strawberry blond son. We both have red hair in our families, so it makes sense to us, but people who don't know our extended families make all kids of comments. If I hear "oh, you must have a red headed mailman" I'm gonna lose my mind. After 10 years I just want to say "yeah, I've never heard that one before..." I actually had my stylist color my hair to match his, mostly because the color is gorgeous, but the end of comments was a bonus!

Feeling your pain (and annoyance),

Kim

Hi....Jane, your dilemma brings something else to mind....

like names......I am a grown woman and I still get..."Lois Lane:eek: :rolleyes:

Where is Clark"?:confused:

I guess most people think it is just too funny to call me that.....

but its just not funny anymore.....(not to me anyway).

Its enough already.......

Or maybe I just don't have a sense of humor about it anymore.

Or if discussing marriages and when people find out I have been

divorced for over 20 years....omg, you would think I am the worst

case scenerio in the world......"You NEVER remarried"???...gimme

a break.....nope......its 2007 people!

Hi....Jane, your dilemma brings something else to mind....

like names......I am a grown woman and I still get..."Lois Lane:eek: :rolleyes:

Where is Clark"?:confused:

I guess most people think it is just too funny to call me that.....

I know exactly what you mean! Some people make the most banal word/name associations and actually think they're being original and humorous. <big snore>

Yes, when I hear that kind of comment, I do say, with a smile, "Gee, I never would have thought of that. How clever."

Or if discussing marriages and when people find out I have been

divorced for over 20 years....omg, you would think I am the worst

case scenerio in the world......"You NEVER remarried"???

Idiocy like that certainly does deserve a snappy comeback. Something on the lines of....

"No, and I think you should alert the media, immediately" might serve you well.

Hi Jane,

Just found this thread and had to put in my 2 cents. I have plain, mousey brown hair and my Dh has deep black hair. We are blessed with a strawberry blond son. We both have red hair in our families, so it makes sense to us, but people who don't know our extended families make all kids of comments. If I hear "oh, you must have a red headed mailman" I'm gonna lose my mind. After 10 years I just want to say "yeah, I've never heard that one before..." I actually had my stylist color my hair to match his, mostly because the color is gorgeous, but the end of comments was a bonus!

Feeling your pain (and annoyance),

Kim

Or you could have had his hair dyed mousey brown. :D

Jane Ihave always put blond highlights in my hair. I have never dyed my hair except once or twice, I have a lot of red pigment in my hair, (hiardressers tell me) even though my hair is the drabest brown and so whenever I dyed my hair, as the dye wore off my hiar would be an unattractive(think Ronald MacDonald) orangy-red.

so even when I was young I would have my hair "frosted"-as the brown is so dull looking. Later I started highlighting my hair instead as it looks much more natural. It odes not cover the gray but it camaflauges it.

Once when I went to a differant hairdresser to get my highlights at a "bargain" price, the hairdresser wanted to also dye my gray-I told her no as it would not last 2 weeks, later I realized she was doing it but she insisted it was just "conditioner" but as you can guess my hair that did not have the blond highlights was Ronald Macdonald red two weeks later. so I learned a lesson!

I may love a bargain but I know sometimes those deals are not deals! So now I go to one hairdresser!

BTW, here's one that can top some of the things I have read here, I have been asked by total strangers if my child was mentally challenged, had she been burnt in a fire and did she have anorexia. (when Meg was young) Besides the one was I going to raise her all alone and not have another child? this by friends-ofcourse when I reminded them that her twin died and she had major health isssues that would shut them up.

It used to hurt me but then I just let it go, most people do not mean to be cruel, they just do not know any better.

I've enjoyed this thread.

When I was much younger (100 years ago) I had very pointy breasts. The questions wouls always be "How do you get them to look like that?" After years of sickening comments, I finally started answering "I put them in a pencil sharpener". I'm also a redhead and I little older than my husband. I've had questions about "my cute son", my hair and other intrusions.

I still like Dear Abbey's answer: "If I forgive you for asking, will you forgive me for not answering?"

Thanks everyone for making my morning.

GN

In this day and age, when people ask about my hair color, I proudly tell them it is only thing about me NOT natural.

Strangers ask me all the time if anyone has told me that I looked like Princess Diana. I suppose they thought they were complimenting me but I always thought she looked so sad...I used to answer, "If I had a nickel for every time, then I would be as wealthy as her..." But now I respond be asking, "Before she died or after?"

But hey, I do not feel bad for any of you. I am still trying to get over being asked by a stranger, "Um, excuse me...are you are man-in-drag...because if not, then you are the most beautiful woman I have ever seen."

Any ounce of vanity I ever had had long dissipated since that question until I went to Las Vegas last spring and actually saw a female impersonator show. Now I do not feel so bad. They were drop dead gorgeous.

LOL,

Coka

In this day and age, when people ask about my hair color, I proudly tell them it is only thing about me NOT natural.

Strangers ask me all the time if anyone has told me that I looked like Princess Diana. I suppose they thought they were complimenting me but I always thought she looked so sad...I used to answer, "If I had a nickel for every time, then I would be as wealthy as her..." But now I respond be asking, "Before she died or after?"

But hey, I do not feel bad for any of you. I am still trying to get over being asked by a stranger, "Um, excuse me...are you are man-in-drag...because if not, then you are the most beautiful woman I have ever seen."

Any ounce of vanity I ever had had long dissipated since that question until I went to Las Vegas last spring and actually saw a female impersonator show. Now I do not feel so bad. They were drop dead gorgeous.

LOL,

Coka

Hi Coka:)...oh my goodness.......now that is a question!!!!

Don't know how I've missed this thread; only finding it tonight. But I had to also put in my pet peeve. I've always struggled w/ my weight; & am somewhat sensitive about it. Several years ago I ran into an elderly woman (an old friend of my Mother's) while I was shopping in the drugstore in my old hometown. This woman is totally tactless. She said "My, you've gained weight". I returned w/ "Well, thank you for noticing". She just stood there w/ her mouth open. Felt so goooddddd! :D

This woman is totally tactless. She said "My, you've gained weight". I returned w/ "Well, thank you for noticing". She just stood there w/ her mouth open. Felt so goooddddd! :D

I probably would have said, "and Gee, you used to be so pretty." LOL!!!

I may love a bargain but I know sometimes those deals are not deals! So now I go to one hairdresser!

I agree! Nothing's worse than having to fix someone elses mistake!

BTW, here's one that can top some of the things I have read here, I have been asked by total strangers if my child was mentally challenged, had she been burnt in a fire and did she have anorexia. (when Meg was young) Besides the one was I going to raise her all alone and not have another child? this by friends-ofcourse when I reminded them that her twin died and she had major health isssues that would shut them up.

It used to hurt me but then I just let it go, most people do not mean to be cruel, they just do not know any better.

Good grief....that's unbelievable!

Makes "is that your natural color?" look positively innocent!

Well, I give you alot of credit for letting it go. It's certainly the best thing to do. I guess there's just no fixing people who are just plain stupid!

I'll never forget the time, when seeing an in-law of my sisters after 30+ years he said to me "you really have aged!" (I was in my early teens the last time we'd seen each other :rolleyes: ). Out of my mouth, without even thinking about it, I replied "you really have gotten bald!".

I felt a tiny bit bad about it (2 wrongs don't make a right) until my sister told me how rude he was to everyone, all the time. She said people were usually too stunned to reply to him and I'd embarrassed him and put him in his place. Since this was done in the open, with a lot of people within hearing range, I was congratulated several times at the party.

I do agree that a lot of times people do mean questions like Jane110's as a compliment. You cannot always tell how a person will react. I once told a co-worker how skinny she was getting (she had been a bit over weight) and she got angry with me, the term "skinny" was a bad thing to her, I thought it was complimentary. I learned from that and now just tell people how nice they look, it's then up to them to announce that they have lost ___lbs., or whatever they wish to divulge.

Archived