What's so wonderful about the aft?

Everyone is always saying how much they love the aft cabins. Can you please elaborate for me? Why is the aft so much better than port or starboard? Just what is it abt the aft that gets everyone in such a great mood? ;)

I have recently booked #7650 on the Grandeur for next year. It's a JS on the aft corner for DH and myself (a surprise for him - he knows nothing).

I'd love to hear what you have to say. I'm still brand new to the cruising world....first one's soon!

Thanks, everyone!

Why look at just one side when you can look across all the back.....

because of the slant of the ship the extra room is added to the balconys so they are much bigger than the side ones.

You also don't have the tunnel effect when you have the door open and sliding door at the same time

More exercise to get to the back but its also quieter

There is just something about watching the wake.....

Some people I've talked to have been really bothered by the ship's movement there. Anyone experience that? That's what makes me leary of booking an aft cabin. How common is movement, and how different is it from movement amidship?

Thanks....I originally had a GS (only on the bow on GOS) and switched to the on the corner aft because I had read about the noise on the bow from the anchor and the Windjammer.

Now I'm reading that there will be smoke and noise??? :eek: :confused:

Some had commented that they would never give up a GS for a JS.

I saw pics of 7650 yesterday and the balcony does look like a nice size. DH and I have never gotten seasick. I'm hoping it doesn't happen on the aft.

We've traveled "backwards" on Amtrak and in the NY subways with no problem. Hopefully, the ship will be the same.

I always thought I would want to book an aft cabin, but I've changed my mind. On our last cruise we spent a very calm "at sea" day on loungers at the aft. Seeing the wake from the aft made me feel ill...and even does now when I envision it. I take Bonine when we cruise and never felt ill on a large cruise ship before...even in rough seas...but that aft wake was not for me. If the aft cabin were a corner I would be able to look to the side as I did on that day. My spouse is never bothered by motion sickness and loved watching the wake as it is indeed a beautiful sight.

I sailed on a Carnival ship in an aft balcony cabin, and I just got back Aug. 8th from Explorer of The Seas in an aft balcony cabin. The balcony is much larger, it held three lounge chairs, two regular chairs and a small table, and there was still room. You pretty much have a panoramic view from the back of the ship. I never heard anything resembling the sound of an anchor, nor did I notice any smoke or soot. Yes, there is a bit more vibration at the front and back of the ship, but not anything horrendous.

However, there's no overhead coverage over the balcony like there is on the side balconies. So if it rains, you really can't sit out there like in a side balcony. It was nice to relax out there - I actually fell asleep in a lounge chair out there for about an hour.

The decision, of course, is purely a personal one, but we prefer the aft balconies.

Sharon H.

I couldn't agree more with sailormoon. We've had aft wraparound cabins 4 times. Three times on the HAL Zuiderdam and once on Carnival's Spirit and in our opinion there the best for the reasons sailor moon stated. We are going on our first RCCL cruise on the Rhapsody in less than 2 weeks and we got lucky and wait listed for one on the aft JS corner cabins and it opened up a few days later. We are really looking forward to this cruise we've only heard good things about RCCL.

After having an aft cabin on the voyager, (JS) the only advantage was the larger balcony, i found the view to be pretty boring, i much prefer the side balconys where you can see either the port or the bay. i always felt i was missing out when arriving or leaving a port and had to wait until we had passed by the sights until we could see them, in short nothing to see but the wake of the ship for most of the time.

We had a aft cabin on the NOS in July. We loved it. It seemed more private and the balcony was alot bigger then any other cabin with a balcony we have ever had. There was no noise and we didnt feel any movement whatsoever! Would definitely do it again. A little more walking but we neede it after all that food! LOL

barb

had the aft on one of my cruises,nice to have a bigger balcony,but preffered the side of the ship where you have a view of the passing ships islands or whatever.seems to be a bit of a cult status these days,especially on this board to have an aft cabin "strange"!!!

What the heck ship were the people on that that had no views of the ports. When you are on the aft, you have a view of either side of the ports, and if the ship backs in , its a birds eye view. If you are on the side of the ship, you only have one view...so I don't get it. When you leave a port your view is 180 degrees. I couldn't disagree more on the view...plenty of port views from the aft and when you are out to sea...oh my...I wish I was there now. Here is a view from the Radiance aft cabin in Alaska:

Radiance Cabin 8672

See what I mean about the view 180 degrees...marvelous!

We had an aft cabin last year on the Rhapsody. Obviously, as most people state, we loved the size of the corner wrap around, but one thing that most people don't mention that we absolutely love - the QUIET. No one constantly walking by your room on their way somewhere! We found the aft to be very quiet at all times of the day. No one passes by unless they belong back there. Previously, on the Adventure, for example we stayed in the middle of the ship, thinking it wasn't as far to everything, but found that it was very noisy - people walking by at all times of the day and night. Some people are not very considerate when they are on their way somewhere - especially after midnight - and often yell down the corridor to their friends, etc.

Archived