Return Alaska Cruisers...did people adhere to formal night dress code?

barbon2

Hi,

We are doing the Noordam in Sept. Was wondering how people were dressing on the formal nights. We always adhere to dress code, but from what I am reading on some posts, that is not always the case. My hubby always does his tux and I do a long dress. Will we be in the minority??

Thanks

Barbara

Hi, Barbon2

We sailed on the Zaandam Inside Passage in May. We did the tux/long dress scenario and it worked out great.

Some do, some don't, and the rest are somewhere in-between. We did not feel out of place at all, in fact, we enjoyed every minute of both evenings.

I'd say go for it!

B

Barbara, Having done 2 previous Alaska cruises both in May and while I still wore a long dress and DH still wore his Tux for the most part many did not dress up near as much and we barely saw any Tuxes on the men until........ we cruised to Alaska on the Noordam last month. To our surprise we saw far more that dressed nicer for dinner even on Non-Formal nights. I can honestly say that we saw as many men in Tuxes as we ever had. Very impressive. Now did they stay dressed all evening, no you could tell later in the evening many changed, including ourselves one evening:o

Maybe it was because of the Noordam but we certainly felt the passengers to be following the dress code far better than we had previously experienced in Alaska. We too will be returning to the Noordam in September and DH will have his Tux and I my long formal dresses, so you will be in fine company;)

On the Noordam June 17-24 Alaska run, the dress standard was quite high, especially for the first formal night. I saw quite a few teens in tuxes and prom dresses. Check the LaffnVegas "Live from Noordam" thread for verification.

Karin

Karin, too funny I was writing my repsonse when you posted the above;)

Karin, too funny I was writing my repsonse when you posted the above;)

Yes, we do seem to be bumping into each other a lot lately:D :) Do you remember the man we saw in the dining room in the tux with the green or blue flashing electric lights?:eek:

Karin

ps OK, well maybe they weren't electric lights, but he sure was flashy ;-)

Yes, we do seem to be bumping into each other a lot lately:D :) Do you remember the man we saw in the dining room in the tux with the green or blue flashing electric lights?:eek:

Karin

ps OK, well maybe they weren't electric lights, but he sure was flashy ;-)

I could I forget, Tom keeps pestering me that he wants the Blue flashing lit up buttons for his Tux shirt:eek:

I could I forget, Tom keeps pestering me that he wants the Blue flashing lit up buttons for his Tux shirt:eek:

I think I've seen those, they are LED lit studs, they come in blue, red, green and white. Now I am going to go crazy trying to find them....FOUND THEM

http://www.enlighted.com/pages/buttons.shtml looks like you have to buy a shirt that comes with them, but the studs are removable for washign the shirt, so he could easily use them on his tux.

Oh great.....now someone is going to suggest I wear RED flashing buttons on the Yum Yum Man cruise.:rolleyes:

Wow, you beat me to it! Too bad I couldnt get Michelle to go for another O'dam cruise, I am just crazy enough to do red studs and that huge floppy hat.... after all I did wear orange clogs most of my last cruise....except formal nights of course :rolleyes:

Come on Lisa, if Sean has to wear a red hat, why not get Tom some red studs for his tux?

Wow, you beat me to it! Too bad I couldnt get Michelle to go for another O'dam cruise, I am just crazy enough to do red studs and that huge floppy hat.... after all I did wear orange clogs most of my last cruise....except formal nights of course :rolleyes:

Come on Lisa, if Sean has to wear a red hat, why not get Tom some red studs for his tux?

You mean if you joined us on the Yum Yum man cruise, I could weasel out of wearing a red hat and you would do the duty?;)

You mean if you joined us on the Yum Yum man cruise, I could weasel out of wearing a red hat and you would do the duty?;)

nope...but I would be willing to share in your suffering... somehow I dont think that ladies will let you off the hook, I tried to get Michelle to switch from Noordam but she said no go :(

nope...but I would be willing to share in your suffering... somehow I dont think that ladies will let you off the hook, I tried to get Michelle to switch from Noordam but she said no go :(

Yeah....I think you are right. I will take it like a man.:)

I think I've seen those, they are LED lit studs, they come in blue, red, green and white. Now I am going to go crazy trying to find them....FOUND THEM

http://www.enlighted.com/pages/buttons.shtml looks like you have to buy a shirt that comes with them, but the studs are removable for washign the shirt, so he could easily use them on his tux.

Oh NO!!:eek: Do You realize Tom is off work today and will be reading the boards. Thanks a lot Frank:D

Actually all I can do is laugh at this point

ajshirtx200.gif

You know we are returning to Alaska in hopes of seeing the Northern Lights, this is NOT what I had in mind;)

Gee I kind of like them myself....the ugly shirt has to go, but the studs would go nicely with my tux :D You should count yourself lucky that Michelle is set on Noordam for February....lets just say I wouldnt let Sean suffer alone ;) Now this looks interesting sidex400.gif

as you can see it could be much worse front2x600.jpg

not only do they have studs, but also have coats, ties and cumberbunds as well

We do the exact same thing. Do not change what you do. I know I will not even if I am in the minority. We enjoy it too much.

Hi, Barbon2

We sailed on the Zaandam Inside Passage in May. We did the tux/long dress scenario and it worked out great.

Some do, some don't, and the rest are somewhere in-between. We did not feel out of place at all, in fact, we enjoyed every minute of both evenings.

I'd say go for it!

B

We were on the Noordam in May. As the cruise progressed, it seemed to become more casual. The biggest surprise was dinner on the first night, always casual, and yet there were plenty of men in sport jackets and women in cocktail dresses.

Most people looked quite spiff on the first formal night. Just as many seemed to forget the second formal night and we saw only a handful of men in tuxes. Sake Dad had the best tux of them all. Many people changed out of formal wear into jeans and tee shirts, after dinner.

I think the red lights with the hat would be appropriate...

You"ll be "lookin good"...:D

Jeanne

Sheesh......maybe I should wear red elf shoes with the bells at the tips too?? You could hear me coming if you don't see the flashing lights.:rolleyes:

I did notice last summer on the Statendam that on non -formal nights most pax dressed as nicely for dinner as on non-Alaskan cruises. However on other nights, there were a few more hyper-casually dressed folks. On formal night most dressed for the ocassion. We saw approx 30-40% of men in tuxedos on formal nights.

One late afternoon, we arrived VERY late to the Hubbard glacier. Those of us with early dining literally came in straight from viewing to the dining room! Most of the dining room were VERY casual at that seating. I started to apologize for the sweater, jeans and hooded jacket, but the dining room staff smiled and said, "We understand...it's OK."

I would plan to dress on an Alaskan cruise as on anyother dam cruise! we plan to take formal attaire. DH did refuse to keep on the dress shirt and tie with his tux after dinner. So he put on a black dress turtle neck with his tux and it looked great as we went to the show and for drinks later that evening.

Hi,

Thanks for all of the replies. Except for the Dec. Oosterdam fiasco, we have found most people adhering to dress code when sailing. I also believe that if you book a particular line you should be made aware of the dress code for the cruise you have booked. Of course you always see the people who really do not care, but for the most part you hope that everyone tries to follow the dress code. I do have to say that I just read another post under the thread of dress code where someone asked if a sport coat slacks and tie is appropriate for formal night. Someone answered "yes". I do believe that is where, at times, new cruisers are not properly informed and it does change the way people dress on cruises. Have just booked Cunard, transatlantic for June, and cannot wait to get really dressed on a cruise.

Barbara

During our late June sailing on the Oosterdam I thought I would be the only one in a tux based on the boards, but was pleasantly surprised to have about 50-60% dressed to the nines with the rest in suits. Even on casual night, there were many jackets. Nice surprise.

Archived