NCL Mastercard FAQ

Host CMLA

Hi, all

I have not yet received my point certificates, is this unusual? I got the upgrade certificate, and immediately called them. I left a message for someone to call, and they have not yet, and it has been over a month. :eek:

I have read a dozen or so posts, and most seem to be from people who have already received their certificates, sent them in and received their credit on their bill.:confused:

Do I need to be concerned? Do I need to call every day until I get more of a response? I know I had $853.00 of credits on 12/15/08, so should at least get $500.00 certificate.

Please shed a little light on my situation, if you would, kindly. I'm starting to get worried. My final payment is due 6/30/09 for my planned cruise.

Thank, thanks, thanks.

I booked my weekend Sky cruise yesterday and asked the PCC if my 2-$500 certificates were received for my upcoming Jewel cruise. She told me that the cruise was credited, so hopefully I will receive my credit card credit before the billing period ends.

Edited by asylum575

Hi JTCruiser1,

I am having the same problem - perhaps even worse! I used ************* to find a good price for a Mexican Riviera cruise in October. I ended up purchasing from BestPriceCruises.com - I guess I should have dug through their pages and pages of terms and conditions to find out that they will only credit my $500 certificates at 80%, and not only that, they are going to charge me a $25 late processing fee because I didn't get the certificates to them by 10 days after booking. They say to get credit for the certs I have to send them directly to them, and if I send them to NCL, they will charge me full fare for the cruise. Anyway, I think it's important that everyone here know not to book with this company if you plan to use any certificates!

[snip...]

I wonder if that's new...We purchased thru BPC in Dec '07 and redeemed BoA Compass Rewards $. We send the certs to NCL and most of the value was applied towards the balance. The remaining cert value was refunded, via check, from BPC. When ask why it was done this way, BPC tried to explain but wasn't making much sense to me. I didn't really press as to the 'why' because in the end, I received the full value of the certs.

I don't think the Compass reward points are considered a coupon. Coupons could be like the ones NCL sends for upgrades or that they have in the Entertainment Books that are sold usually by schools or church groups. I remember someone saying that the TA gets paid for the Compass rewards as if they were cash. I used that same agency in the past many times and only problem was when I sent to NCL without informing them plus I had one of those $250 cruise awards I purchased on the previous cruise applied when I could not use it for the deposit because I was booking online. One cruise balance was $500 which was credited back to my card after I had them call NCL to approve the credit and the other balance was less than the $500 so I lost about $20. I just checked and most of the terms were the same as your contract, I guess I just never read them all. I always found Gary x20 to be very helpful.

I agree with this. We had the same problem in Nov 08. We booked with Bestpricecruises and then mailed our NCL compass reward cert. directly to NCL (we booked late / online and had to pay in full). We got partial credit back on our credit card (it may have equalled 80%, can't recall). The rest NCL mailed to the agent!

When we called NCL, they said that we should have called them immed. when we mailed the certifcates so they could have credited us for the full amt. It seems this only happens with BPC??? After a few calls to BPC, they agreed to mail us a check for the amt. they received from NCL. Since the Compass certifcates DONOT affect the agents commission, the agent should not get any part it.

Maybe check with NCL to see if the compass rewards now affect the agents commission. If you are told they donot, then I would argue this with bestpricecruises......we did and they mailed us a check approx. one month later.

Hi' date=' all

I have not yet received my point certificates, is this unusual? I got the upgrade certificate, and immediately called them. I left a message for someone to call, and they have not yet, and it has been over a month. :eek:

I have read a dozen or so posts, and most seem to be from people who have already received their certificates, sent them in and received their credit on their bill.:confused:

Do I need to be concerned? Do I need to call every day until I get more of a response? I know I had $853.00 of credits on 12/15/08, so should at least get $500.00 certificate.

Please shed a little light on my situation, if you would, kindly. I'm starting to get worried. My final payment is due 6/30/09 for my planned cruise.

Thank, thanks, thanks.[/quote']

Wendy,

Yes, I would call if you haven't received your $500 certificate yet. Most have and you should check on it again.

Good luck.

Jackie

When I called about correcting my points last month they told me to wait until the 20th (I think) and gave me an address to send copies of my credit card statement to. I had everything ready to mail but received the corrected document a few days later. Sorry, I did not save the address. I think it was listed in this thread or another with similar info.

Hi' date=' all

Thank, thanks, thanks.[/quote']

All certificates were mailed by the end of February. If you have not recieved your certificates, then you may have been one of the many who had an error in the calculation of Compass Reward Points.

Call the Latitudes phone number and explain the situation 866-234-0292

Send COPIES of all info (copies of MC statements for November and December with a letter of explanaion to:

NCL Compass Rewards Resolution

nc1-022-17-01

201 North Tryon St.

Charlotte, NC 28255

If you cannot calculate the exact amount you are due, "guestimate $1,000, because if you are over $900 but less than $1,000, they round up and send a $500 certificate and five upgrade certificates. Most of us on the thread know EXACTLY how much we were owed. :D

In the past, I have used my daughters Compass Rewards Certificate because I was a authorized user. But now NCL is not allowing me to use them. Has anybody else had this problem lately?

d man

I have never tried to do this, but there are several posts earlier in this thread. Use the search and put in "authorized user". Here is one of the posts, which leads me to believe if you changed the account to a joint account, and then had the certs reissued -good luck with that :D-you would then be able to use them:

February 19th, 2009, 02:50 PM

2+3Cruisers

Cool Cruiser Join Date: Jan 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RIDDLE: You will not be able to use the certificates with your husband's name on them. We have gone round and round with NCL about this. You have to have the card redone as a "joint account", both equally responsible not just as an authorized user. Then the certificates will come in both or your names. If not, your husband has to be in the room you are paying for. We even tried booking 2 rooms in our names (one for us and one for the kids). If he was not listed as the passenger in that specific room, we could not use the certificates to pay for the room. Eventually, we had the certificates in both of our names and put one of each of us in each room so we could use them. I'm not sure you will be able to do this with the change in the program now. Anyway, when we had to do this it was a TON of phone calls and generally resembled the headache people have gone through here to get their certificates. I hope you have a different experience, but I would get working on this if that is your intent. Good luck!

Just got confirmation that my 2-$500 certificates have been cashed and a $1000 credit was issued to my credit card for my cruise in 3 weeks. Since that cruise was paid, I'm applying the credit toward my August cruise.

And that my dear friends, brings an end to my relationship with Compass rewards. What a sad day in Muddville indeed.

And that my dear friends, brings an end to my relationship with Compass rewards. What a sad day in Muddville indeed.

It is sad, isn't it? My DH and I were watching a special on cruising on CNBC last night (NCL Pearl featured ship) and saying how the 7 Day cruise we are planning to take in the fall will seem short compared to the 10 day cruises we have take the last two years.... Now I don't know that we will be able to cruise every year...

Still, when we look at the situation that many are in right now we are so thnkful for what we have, and what we have been able to do. :)

We had 4 reward certificates from 1 credit card and 1 from another so I just sent them in last week to see what NCL would do with them for our Jade cruise in July. We had booked an aft BA cabin and received an email that they were using 3 certificates and upgrading us to an AG mini-suite. In my mind this is more of a lateral move than an upgrade - yes, we are getting a bigger cabin but we are giving up our aft cabin. I'm now emailing our TA to see if we can at least get an aft mini-suite or take a guarantee with hopes of getting booked into a regular suite.

The email from NCL also stated that they were returning the 2 other certificates to us.

Hi JTCruiser1,

I am having the same problem - perhaps even worse! I used ************* to find a good price for a Mexican Riviera cruise in October. I ended up purchasing from BestPriceCruises.com - I guess I should have dug through their pages and pages of terms and conditions to find out that they will only credit my $500 certificates at 80%, and not only that, they are going to charge me a $25 late processing fee because I didn't get the certificates to them by 10 days after booking. They say to get credit for the certs I have to send them directly to them, and if I send them to NCL, they will charge me full fare for the cruise. Anyway, I think it's important that everyone here know not to book with this company if you plan to use any certificates!

Just so you know I'm not making this up - here is the part of the terms and conditions they emailed me:

As per Best Price Cruises Terms of Use

COUPONS/CERTIFICATES/CRUISE PRICE CREDITS:All discount coupons, certificates, and future cruise credits are SUBJECT TO APPROVAL and must be received in our offices, via certified or overnight mail, NO LATER THAN 10 days after your initial booking date or at least 7 days prior to your sailing departure date - whichever is sooner. Upon receipt, we will review the coupon or certificate with the cruise line to determine whether it can be applied to your booking, AND to what extent it may be applied. Since Best Price Cruises is a discount agency, all dollars off coupons (EXCEPT Royal Caribbean & Celebrity Cruises) that receive cruise line approval will be credited at 80% or 80 cents on the dollar. This is because all dollar-off coupons reduce the cruise fare - a commissionable item, which Best Price Cruises has already lowered to a "rock bottom" price. Royal Caribbean and Celebrity coupons that receive cruise line approval will be applied at 100% of face value. Coupons received later than 10 days after your initial booking date will be considered LATE and only applied at the discretion of Best Price Cruises. All LATE coupons received after final payment has been made will be changed an additional $25 late processing fee. Any coupons sent directly to the cruise line, contrary to this policy are not the responsibility of Best Price Cruises. Additionally, these coupons sent directly to the cruise line, if applied, are in violation of these terms and conditions and you can be charged, at our discretion, full retail fare for your cruise. Your previously emailed confirmation and discount price will be VOIDED/TERMINATED. When voided/terminated, it will be your sole responsibility to remit the fare difference. If Best Price Cruises does choose to credit you for any coupon sent directly to the cruise line, you hereby acknowledge & accept that Best Price Cruises will assess an additional $35 processing fee.

I don't think the Compass reward points are considered a coupon. Coupons could be like the ones NCL sends for upgrades or that they have in the Entertainment Books that are sold usually by schools or church groups. I remember someone saying that the TA gets paid for the Compass rewards as if they were cash. I used that same agency in the past many times and only problem was when I sent to NCL without informing them plus I had one of those $250 cruise awards I purchased on the previous cruise applied when I could not use it for the deposit because I was booking online. One cruise balance was $500 which was credited back to my card after I had them call NCL to approve the credit and the other balance was less than the $500 so I lost about $20. I just checked and most of the terms were the same as your contract, I guess I just never read them all. I always found Gary x20 to be very helpful.

I used BPC for my Oct. cruise. I have 2 upgrades and $1000 in compass awards I had hoped to use.

What should I do? I will not lose 20%?

Any tips?

We had 4 reward certificates from 1 credit card and 1 from another so I just sent them in last week to see what NCL would do with them for our Jade cruise in July. We had booked an aft BA cabin and received an email that they were using 3 certificates and upgrading us to an AG mini-suite. In my mind this is more of a lateral move than an upgrade - yes, we are getting a bigger cabin but we are giving up our aft cabin. I'm now emailing our TA to see if we can at least get an aft mini-suite or take a guarantee with hopes of getting booked into a regular suite.

The email from NCL also stated that they were returning the 2 other certificates to us.

I would hang on to that aft BA and turn down the upgrade offer for the AG unless they give you the aft AG.

Hope it all works out. You might get a nice upsell offer for your aft BA...

Good luck.

Jackie

Book directly with NCL to use the $1000, plus if you have a $250 deposit purchased on a cruise they know that too so no proof needed to be mailed. Then if any upgrade certs laying around use them to get even better stateroom within the category you are in.

I used BPC for my Oct. cruise. I have 2 upgrades and $1000 in compass awards I had hoped to use.

Any tips?

Book directly with NCL to use the $1000, plus if you have a $250 deposit purchased on a cruise they know that too so no proof needed to be mailed. Then if any upgrade certs laying around use them to get even better stateroom within the category you are in.

Good suggestion AL. I have beent hinking about just booking another cruise before they expire, good excuse to book another cruise. Not that I need one.

I will for sure book directly with NCL to use the end of my compass awards to ensure I get full value.

For a July NCL cruise, my daughter is using to two $500 Compass Rewards certificates. She also sent NCL 4 upgrade certificates through the Compass Rewards program. She was told that the 2 types could not be used together. There is a $190 difference from the interior cabin she booked and the one 2 categories lower. Anyone else have this problem?

Any tips?

Ours were honored at 100%, we mailed them eight months after booking and were not charged a fee, we did have to mail them direct tp BPC.

Compass Rewards certs are an exception to BPC's 80% rule. This is because they do not reduce the "commissionable fare". BPC got testy with me when I mailed the certs directly to NCL, but they ended up honoring them at full value once they confirmed with NCL that they had been applied to my account. Now my final BPC invoice shows that BPC owes me $14 and change. :D NCL.com shows me as paid in full.

Edited by gtalum

For a July NCL cruise, my daughter is using to two $500 Compass Rewards certificates. She also sent NCL 4 upgrade certificates through the Compass Rewards program. She was told that the 2 types could not be used together. There is a $190 difference from the interior cabin she booked and the one 2 categories lower. Anyone else have this problem?

If you look back in this thread, you will see that a few people were able to get $34 credit per upgrade cert, when they mailed them in with the $500 certs. This is not standard policy and they normally cannot be used together, but I think was a good will gesture on the part of NCL since the program has ended. Look back in the thread to get the info,and see if they will do this for your daughter.

I used BPC last time, they applied full amount of the compass rewards. I would have went with them again, because they did not charge me the deposit at all, they waited and until they applied the compass rewards which was a few dollars over the price of the cruise and charged me the difference.

This time I ask travels agents to "compete" for my business. And BPC was still competitive, but I choose another agency. They offered not only cruises but "n-more" and they were a little cheaper. I had to pay the deposit. I am anxiously waiting for my $2k compass rewards to post and offset the deposit.

I will call and check with BPC. Can't hurt. I would love to just use them and get it over with. Even tough another cruise sounds wonderful and it will happen anyway :) Just more options if I use up the compass awards.