question about passports

lakelodge

Question: we have passports due to expire Nov 2007. We are wanting to book a cruise for the fall, but are leaving for Mexico in 3 weeks (Cabo). Do we have to have passports for Cabo, or could we go ahead and send them in now for renewal, thus enabling us to go on a cruise in the fall? OR do we even need passports for a cruise to the Caribbean? Seems like I read somewhere that we don't need them, until all this backlog gets straightened out.

Thanks for your help! Martha

IMHO:

The passport rules have been loosened to allow for the 'proof of application'...( which btw I don't agree with as the applicant could have a history that would deny them a US passport )..

However our mixed up administration is allowing this proceedure.

The sooner you send in your expiring passport for renewal, the sooner you will get your new one.

If it were me, I'd send in the renewal, make a copy of the application have it stamped by the Post Office or notarized to make it official and bring a birth certificate and photo ID.

Dave:eek:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

Passport renewal without expediting service is taking a very long time. 12-14 weeks according to our post office in Texas. Expediting - 4 to 6 weeks, however a friend of mine had hers in 2 weeks and 2 days from date of mailing. I sent mine in 10 weeks ago today, May 1. I hope to have it by the end of August. (We're not traveling until mid-November, so I should have plenty of time.) I would recommend paying the extra fees for expediting for peace of mind.

You can print out a receipt and a passport "locator number" from the following site a few weeks after you send in your renewal application.

https://passportstatus.state.gov/opss/OPSS_Status_ip.asp

We, too, paid the extra money. DH said it was worth it to ease my stress. They were due to expire in December and I know some countries want 6 months until expiration. It took almost 3 weeks, but it's done.

Do be aware that while the *US* is waiving the passport requirement for those who have applied for a new passport through September (and you must have the certificate from the passport web site for that to be valid), *Mexico* hasn't waived their requirements across the board. It's best to talk with your airline and see what the current status on that is. There were a number of stories a couple weeks back where Mexico was being rather snippy about the passport requirements, and some people were being turned back. However, I think that was on Mexicana flights, so it may vary by airline.

You didn't say if your November cruise was roundtrip from a US port.

If you traveling roundtrip from US to Caribbean by ship, no passport is needed until Jan. 08. If you are flying to Caribbean, however, the need for a passport comes into play.

Good luck,

Archived