Alternatives to Rome at Civatecchia...

Hi, traveling on the Regent Cruises Voyager from Monte Carlo to Athens in September. All of us (six total) have been to Rome (two of us within the last year). Anyone have any ideas for a low key, half-day excursion alternatives. Don't want anything too crazy but interesting enough.

We have discussed this issue previously on the board and talk about going to places like Orvieto, visiting the Etruscan ruins, and some other options. Try doing a subject search to find the old threads. You also might want to do a search for any posts by "Vetralla" who is an expat American and travel writer who lives in the area and has often contributed to this board.

Hank

We have visited the Etruscan ruins and I would higly recommeded ding that. We also visit the port town (I know it's small) but have walked around for a couple of hours and then enjoyed the rest of the day on the ship. With so many people in Rome, the ship is quiet.

Keith

We were on the Millennium that was stuck in Civitavecchia after grounding in France.

After our planned day, the ship scrambled to get more tours to keep everyone entertained.

My brother and his wife did the Etruscan ruins and loved it, they also did a half day olive oil tasting that they said was wonderful. It took them out to the countryside to a lovely farm and they learned all about olive oil and other goods produced at the farm.

There was also a trip to a castle and lake that I could look up the name for it if you would like me to. Everyone that went on that said it was very nice, just required walking up quite a bit of stairs.

They are doing quite a bit of work in the town of Civitavecchia, it would be interesting to see it in a few years. But, we walked up the hill going away from the port and there was a lot of shopping and good cafes. My brother got a pair of Italian shoes that were 125 Euros on the first block from the pier, for 25 Euros a few blocks up. Up there they also got a wonderful lunch

of including desert and expresso for 10 euros. It was a nice half a day.

Hope this helps a bit.

Is there anything of interest betwen the airport & port that we could incorporate into a private limo drive to the ship on day we sail? How far are the Etruscan ruins form the airport?

Archived