formal wear rental on Celeb---tacky?

ATLfuzzy

Howdy,

Has anyone had recent experience renting tuxedos on board Celebrity (Millie specifically)? I'm in the process of ordering. Although I could buy one locally for a good price--truly for not much more than the rental price---I don't feel like packing it. The rental process would be ultra convenient.

Are the rentals fairly attractive, or do they scream "cheap rental"? Are the dress shoes fairly well maintained?

Would appreciate hearing your experiences...thanks as always.

They look great. Don't scream anything but elegant. We do every year for the convenience and because HE refuses to buy a0dark suit! So on formal nights I am able to use peer pressure to get him to wear it.

Shoes always nice looking and not worn. Last year he complained the were too tight and stiff so it would seem not broken iin.

Bring your own socks and save $6. You get to keep them though at that price.

Hey ATLfuzzy:

If life ran wholly on convenience, I would wear a Depends and walk around with an IV! I say, go with your partner to the store, pick out a great-looking tuxedo that is comfortable and looks great, create room in your suitcase by smuggling in two fewer bottles of vodka and *gasp* learn how to actually tie your bow tie before you go. (No, I'm not writing from the senior's home, I'm 44).

People truly will notice how good you look and you won't constantly be whispering; "Do I look OK in this, is my but too big and I didn't think Armani was spelled A-R-M-A-N-EEEEE!"

Well-dressed in Toronto

Or you can cheat just a little bit.:) My DH brings his own (not pre-tied) bow tie, studs, cufflinks and a fancy waistcoat to wear with the rented tux. These small touches make it look much more like it's his own tux and not a rented one. And they don't take up much room in his suitcase.

Lisa

You will be fine with the rental.

I know you said that you didn't want to buy a tuxedo as you didn't want to pack it but as you said the breakeven on buying vs. renting is not that great so if you are thinking of cruising from time to time it's just something to think through.

Keith

Thanks for all of the input, I'm glad to hear the products are good quality. I am going to go with the rental, but I am bringing my own tie and stuff to add a personal touch.

I would buy one, but I only put on a suit for a funeral, a wedding, and a rare special occasion. All of which are few and far between! My weight is up and down like an elevator (I love to eat), so...even if I bought one it would be a waste a month or two later.... I'd much rather be in my Birkenstocks! :D

Thanks for all the great input. Cheers!

I rented one in 2004, so not exactly recent, however it certainly was a decent quality. I am glad I have not purchased one because my weight has fluctated so much since then.

For me though, if I should go on a Celebrity cruise again, we will be avoiding formal dining all together.

Hey ATLfuzzy:If life ran wholly on convenience, I would wear a Depends and walk around with an IV! I say, go with your partner to the store, pick out a great-looking tuxedo that is comfortable and looks great, create room in your suitcase by smuggling in two fewer bottles of vodka and *gasp* learn how to actually tie your bow tie before you go. (No, I'm not writing from the senior's home, I'm 44). People truly will notice how good you look and you won't constantly be whispering; "Do I look OK in this, is my but too big and I didn't think Armani was spelled A-R-M-A-N-EEEEE!" Well-dressed in Toronto

Me *tie* a bow tie? I.wish.but.uh.Oh.as.if.

Your post made me smile. Thanks

It's definitely not simple but oh-so-worth the effort!

You may wish to log onto www.blacktieguide.com that offers advice on how to tie your tie and even has as instructional video. I learned for my recent QM2 crossing and enhanced my stateroom's atmosphere by using language rarely heard in such elegant surroundings while I fumbled to get the (ultimately) perfect knot.

I will now go practice for my upcoming New Year's cruise on Constipation.

My husband always does the tux rental and has never been disappointed. Everything is in your closet when you arrive and is in impeccable condition. Even though you are spending a few extra dollars, you have less to pack. Everything has always fit and looked great ( not tacky!). It's a clip-on tie also so you don't have to worry! I really don't think your own cufflinks would make a huge difference...can't imagine who would be checking them out.

My husband always does the tux rental and has never been disappointed. Everything is in your closet when you arrive and is in impeccable condition. Even though you are spending a few extra dollars, you have less to pack. Everything has always fit and looked great ( not tacky!). It's a clip-on tie also so you don't have to worry! I really don't think your own cufflinks would make a huge difference...can't imagine who would be checking them out.

Me! Me! I would! :p Seriously, I once asked a gentleman where he got his very handsome set of crystal studs and cufflinks so I could get some for my husband. (Haven't found any yet, though!:( )

Lisa

Howdy,

Has anyone had recent experience renting tuxedos on board Celebrity (Millie specifically)? I'm in the process of ordering. Although I could buy one locally for a good price--truly for not much more than the rental price---I don't feel like packing it. The rental process would be ultra convenient.

Are the rentals fairly attractive, or do they scream "cheap rental"? Are the dress shoes fairly well maintained?

Would appreciate hearing your experiences...thanks as always.

You do not need to rent a tux. If you have a suit you will be just fine.

If you are a large size, I would suggest bringing your own or renting one from a local rental in your area. On one of our cruises, a fellow cruise critic member who was on the big and tall side decided to rent to save luggage space. His tux was waiting in his stateroom when he arrived, however, the pants were way too small and unfortunately even though there were extra pants on board - none were even close to his size. So they ate dinner on formal night in the casual dining area. Celebrity did give them a free dinner in the Specialty restaurant as a good will gesture for not being able to provide him with a tux.

Well, the butler couldn't tie a bowtie--

my wife finally almost figured it out. I brought my own, but probably would either rent one or not go to formal nite next time. Except that's often lobstertail night.

Even if the rental doesn't quite fit, I have yet to see any passenger acting as fashion police. And, what are the odds you'll see any of the fellow passengers again? More likely to see crew members if you cruise often!

Is really easy once you practice a few times.

Most of them have the adjustable slide in the back so even if you don't get the tension right you can adjust it.

While you can definetly tell the difference between a self tie and a pre tied, both are just as acceptable.

As for the rental tuxes......I don't think they look cheap, or tacky at all. Just make sure you order the right size. I have seen a few where it looks like the wearer didn't know his own size..

BTW: John and I both own tuxes. I have 2, one from ebay for 19.99 which is my favorite. We also bring along our dinner jackets.

Dave:eek:

I'm sure I could learn to tie one, and really that isn't the issue. Buying one is not a problem either (although I'd never wear it again). This is a 12 night cruise, we are doing several pre days and post days, and with luggage regulations, as well as the fact that I tend not to be a light packer by nature, I'm trying to downsize where possible. I have 17 days to pack for! Yikes!

Cheers

ATL Fuzzy...

I'm a product of the punk n new wave scenes. I generally don't wear suits, pants, or god forbid, a tie. Still I love X and Cruising.

The last couple of cruisers, for a laugh, I did the rentals. Both in Europe for the Galaxy, and more recently Princess Star. For me, it was like dressing in drag (lol). My wife laughed so hard, but she loved seeing me 'dress up'. It was like the prom all over again...

Not only was it inexpensive (under $100.00 for the cruise), it was so simple to fill-out online. No packing, your room stewart brings it in on the 2nd day, and takes it away the next day after the formal.

I highly reccomend the tux rentals for all the above reasons. It's not tacky in the least. I found it fun...

jc

Toronto

He bought a J.C. Penney tuxedo during the big hoopla of the year 2000 coming. He has worn it many times since (even at our wedding in August 2000). He only paid $150.00! They aren't that expensive and it is so fun to dress up. He got the shiny shoes for about $25.00! Personally, I think it is worth it to get your own. Luckily, my hubby hasn't grown out of his!

Cheryl

DH has rented and brought his own. He always brings his own shirt, studs, tie, etc. Just depends on how far we're going and for how long. If we have 70 lb limits flying overseas (bus. class), he'll take it; if the limits are 50 lb, he'll usually rent. That's a lot of extra weight for a 2 or 3 week trip. I don't think the rentals have looked cheap and they seem to be comparable on all the cruiselines that he's rented one.

I am so glad to hear all the positive comments about the rentals. We are on the Summit for 14 days to Hawaii in October, and I've been in a "tizzy" about packing. DH has a tux and all the "trimmings" but it just takes up so much space. We have to fly from TN (at least it isn't international) and are a little worried about weight limits. I'll have to get DH go get measurements taken. Thanks for relaying your good experiences.

Archived