Best way to see Mendenhall Glacier and Whales

cruiseaway

My 10 year old son and I will be on the Sapphire for the 7/11 sail from Seattle. I am looking at the Princess tour that combines the glacier and a whale watch. How close to the glacier will we be? Thanks.

I'm confused. I checked the princess site and can't find this particular excursion. I was hoping to see some description of it. Mendenhall Glacier empties into Mendenhall Lake. I'd guess they're taking you whale watching by boat and then to the Glacier by bus? If so, you'll be at the visitors center.

Somebody help me if I'm wrong on this.

-Monte

some of my cruising photos:

http://community.webshots.com/user/m1bisson

A bad day cruising is better than a good day at work.

The worst cruise I ever took was pretty damned good.

Platinum with RCI, a couple cruises with NCL and 1 with CCL

Clock remove but cruise in Dec

You'll be at the Visitors Center. The Glacier face was near this when it was built, but has now receeded quite some distance. There are several trails toward the glacier from the visitors center. You might want to give this link a look-

http://www.juneaualaska.com/visit/stories/mendglacier.shtml

I believe the cost for a bus from the dock is about $5 per person each way. You might want to do a net search for an independently booked whale watch and do the glacier on your own afterward. We've done this before and had lots of time to view the glacier (and hike toward it)

Just a thought.

-Monte

some of my cruising photos:

http://community.webshots.com/user/m1bisson

A bad day cruising is better than a good day at work.

The worst cruise I ever took was pretty damned good.

Platinum with RCI, a couple cruises with NCL and 1 with CCL

Clock remove but cruise in Dec

For clarification- Mendenhall Glacier is closest viewed from the Photo point trial- a short walk from the bus drop off. No contact with the glacier but total unobstructed views. The whale watch will give you a view of the glacier on your transfer. You may want to consider booking with Orca Enterprises with a Mendenhall drop off- then you just take the $5 shuttle back when you want. Makes very good use of time.

We booked whale watching with Orca Enterprises for the day we're in Juneau. Our whale watching isn't until the afternoon. They told us to go across the street to their office immediately when we arrive. They'll transport us to the glacier and pick us up again when it's time for our tour to start for the same $10 - we don't have to wait for the bus and everything is timed perfectly!

Cruiseaway-here is a link to the visitor's center at Mendenhall so you will have an idea of what you will see: http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/districts/mendenhall/

If you book the combo thru Princess they will take you to the visitor's center and you will have about 45 minutes to look around, take pictures from the photo trail, etc. Then they will bus you to Auke Bay for the whale watch part of the excursion (which is handled by Allen Marine) after which they will return you to your ship (sometimes this tour operates in reverse). We are sailing on the Diamond on July 17 and doing the same but booked independently w/ Capt. Larry like Cruisedearmer28. The main difference from booking thru the ship and independently is the boat Capt. Larry uses is much smaller so hopefully will have better viewing. Looking forward to this excursion-I think it will be a great use of time in Juneau. Too bad we we're on the same ship-I also have a 10 year old son.

2002 and 2003 I did both the Mendenhall Canoe trip and the evening whale watching trip, separate excursions. I did it twice because it was awesome. icon_smile.gif The canoe takes you right to the face of the glacier, then to a waterfall nearby. The visitor's center is quite far away. I'm not even sure it's worth it to go?

Then back in time to catch the whale watching trip. Most ships spend a lot of time in Juneau, since there are so many things to do there.

Is there a BESt time for whale watching? morning, noon or night? How about months.. I am looking at the end of August the begininng if Sept. Suggestions will help please/

Going NOWHERE

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;10;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Miracle, February 13, 2005

Legend, October 22,2004

Voyager August 31,2003

Victory September 22,2002

Regal Empress,June 2001

Sensation,August 2000

I haven't done morning or noon, but on the 6pm 'evening' whale watching, I saw humpbacks doing bubble-net feedings both times. About 10 the first time and 6 the second. This was late June. (Bubble-net feeding is when the lead female goes to the bottom, blows bubbles that drive the fish upwards, and they all surge up and crash out of the water with their mouths open, presumably full of fish! Unbelievable.)

The whale watching is usually guaranteed. You receive a $100 refund if you don't see a whale, although they classify orcas as whales. They scout out where the humpbacks are, so it's usually a sure thing on the excursions.

If you're asking about from the ship, they try to stay away from the big ships, and the ships don't go into the small areas the humpbacks play in. This all may change with Icy Strait, I'm dying to hear the reviews!

Look at it this way- the whales are in the water and main objective is eating- 24/hour/day. icon_smile.gif So any time offers good opportunities. Go with what fits your schedule best. Plan being back at the ship 2 hours before sailing for a cushion. BUT Orca is extremely dependable - so go with their recommendations for late trips.

I went with the ship's tour, 6pm, so no, there was no problem getting back before sailing.

BQ, does Orca have one of those underwater microphones (forget what they're called) to hear the whales if they're doing cooperative feeds?

Archived