If anyone has questions about the Falklands...

Gixer

Gixer/Samantha-

Thank you SO much for all the helpful insights, and your fabulous photos.

We will be in Port Stanley (we hope!!) on March 11.

Will there still be many penguins there at that time? Is it worth heading all the way out to volunteer point that late in the season, or would you suggest the closer options?

We don't mind the bumpy roads, we just don't want to pay HAL outrageous prices to get out to Volunteer point if the main reason (penguin viewing) is not going to be worth it to us.

Thanks again!

Beth

Wear a bright coloured jacket if you have one, the penguins seem to be attracted to red and yellow colours and will come very close to you.

Red jacket - Yes!

Yellow camera "coat" - Ordered!

Red camera neck strap - Yes!

I should be covered with penguins :)

Gixer/Samantha-

Thank you SO much for all the helpful insights, and your fabulous photos.

We will be in Port Stanley (we hope!!) on March 11.

Will there still be many penguins there at that time? Is it worth heading all the way out to volunteer point that late in the season, or would you suggest the closer options?

We don't mind the bumpy roads, we just don't want to pay HAL outrageous prices to get out to Volunteer point if the main reason (penguin viewing) is not going to be worth it to us.

Thanks again!

Beth

You will have no problems seeing Penguins in March, the Kings & the Gentoo's at Volunteer (and all the other sites) are resident all year round, its only the Rockhoppers and megallanics that return to sea in April :)

Hello all,

My husband and I just returned from sailing on the Infinity around the horn with a stop in the Falklands (Nov 25-Dec 9). Stopping at the Falklands was the highlight of our cruise. We originally booked a tour to Volunteer Point with Ian Doherhty. Prior to leaving on our cruise on Thanksgiving day we were told that Ian had left the island and transferred our arrangements to someone else. When we had our cruise critic party onboard, we learned that the person Ian had handed us over to couldn't get enough drivers so we were then passed along to Patrick Watts. Boy were we lucky! My husband and I & another couple were driven out to Volunteer point by Patrick himself! We had an absolutely fantastic tour. The photos that were just posted are exactly what we saw- but many more penguins on the actual beach. One surpirse was the sheep that share the grassy land with the penguins! What a hoot! Our group arrived at least 45 minutes prior to the ships tours so we felt like we had the penguins all to ourselves. We had all types of weather the day we visited- sunshine, clouds, rain, hail and lots of wind! We were glad we brought the fleece jackets and ear muffs with us! I fell in love with the island and the rugged terrain that we travelled over to reach Volunteer Point. You will not be dissappointed if you take this tour. It is worth every minute of the 2.5 hours it takes to get there. I would love to return to the Falklands for a week or more to see more of the natural beauty and experience the warm hospitality of the folks that live there. Patrick Watts was an absolutely fabulous guide and I highly recommend his services. Thanks Samantha for all of your insight to the Island prior to our cruise- it was invaluable.

Cheers!

Sgcaver-

Could you (or someone else) provide more contact information?

Right now we have booked directly with HAL for the volunteer point excursion, and it is extremely expensive.

Our biggest concern is not getting back in time & being stranded.

If you have such good experience with Patrick, I would like to find out whether he is a better option than HAL.

Thanks so much!

Beth

Sgcaver-

Could you (or someone else) provide more contact information?

Right now we have booked directly with HAL for the volunteer point excursion, and it is extremely expensive.

Our biggest concern is not getting back in time & being stranded.

If you have such good experience with Patrick, I would like to find out whether he is a better option than HAL.

Patrick's email address is pwatts@horizon.co.fk. He's excellent about getting back within about a day. If you don't hear from him in that time, try emailing from a different address - he's recently had a few bounce-backs where filter systems reject his foreign address.

Very good to work with!

• 3 weeks later...

I have a quick question for you. Was the Infinity able to make it to the Falklands on the 27th, yesterday? My husband and I had to cancel three days before leaving for the cruise so I have kinda been trying to follow the cruise. I had met a lot of folks here that I hoped to meet in person. Am also wondering if they've had good seas. Thanks for any info you can give. Jule

I have a quick question for you. Was the Infinity able to make it to the Falklands on the 27th, yesterday? My husband and I had to cancel three days before leaving for the cruise so I have kinda been trying to follow the cruise. I had met a lot of folks here that I hoped to meet in person. Am also wondering if they've had good seas. Thanks for any info you can give. Jule

We have had no problems with ships docking at all, a few have even managed to sail right into Stanley harbour which doesnt happen very often! we have had glorious weather the last couple of weeks, the seas have been calm and the winds light so your friends would have had a great visit!

Happy New year to you all too!

Sorry I wont be able to post on this thread for a while, we fly to Florida on Saturday, we have some time at WDW then are so excited to be going on our first cruise! We land back home 2nd Feb, I hope you all enjoy your visit to the Islands and have fun on your trips!

Samantha & Family,

Have a fabulous time! :D You deserve it. Say hi to Mickey for me!

Thanks again for all the wonderful information you have shared with us.

Joe

Happy New year to you all too!

Sorry I wont be able to post on this thread for a while, we fly to Florida on Saturday, we have some time at WDW then are so excited to be going on our first cruise! We land back home 2nd Feb, I hope you all enjoy your visit to the Islands and have fun on your trips!

Don't know if you will have time, but if you do, strongly suggest Boma restaurant and the Victoria Falls bar at Animal Kingdom Lodge for dinner. Really nice--you do not have to get tickets for Animal Kingdom or stay at AKL to go to the restaurant. If you go before dark, you can enjoy the giraffes and gazelles in the viewing areas of the lodge.

Have a great trip! And thank you for all of your information/advice/etc.!!

dear gixer,

i need your help with my once in a lifetime penguin excursions.

we will be on the princess cruise in feb. and have many choices of excursions, but they are booking up quickly.

it looks like our choice is between sparrow cove and rockhopper penguin colony.

what are the advantages of one over the other?

are we equally as close to the penguins at both sites?

your help in invaluable and deeply appreciated by our family.

I know Gixer/Samantha and her family are on holiday but just wanted to thank her for preparing us for our trip. We ship out wednesday for our 10 Jan Star Princess sailing. We will have so much fun in Stanley after getting all this good info.

I hope all of ya'll enjoy your cruises down to the Falklands. Stay Safe..Enjoy Life!

Kyle

RETIRED Firedude...lifetime cruiser!

Gixer,

Is Joe King still on the island? We had the wonderful adventure of meeting him when we were walking around Stanley in 2001. We were admiring his huge hedge and he saw us and invited us up to his "golf" course. We had a great time playing with him. He invited us to keep playing but we had to get back to the ship.

I know that Gixer is not available right now, but does anyone know about the availability of comfort stops (Bathrooms) on the drive to Volunteer Point ?? I see from one of Gixer's past post that there is a restroom at Volunteer Point. But what about Johnson Harbour??

My wife and I are on the Star out of BA on Feb 19

Thanks,

Tom

Hi Tom,

Just done the volunteer point trip. Best trip of our holiday. But comfort is not any kind of appropriate word. Without exception all should use the available facilities right there where you climb into the Land Rovers (visitors centre- good and clean).

Nothing available as far as we could see when we stopped for a re-grouping at Johnson Harbour. In emergency get your driver to stop his vehicle furthest away from the others and use it as the one restroom wall available for privacy!

To this point it is very dusty solid track roads, just not any metaling (tarmac) on them. After Johnsons harbour there is no time to think of a restroom, you bounce when you are not flying.

BUT let me tell you it is WORTH IT WORTH IT WORTH IT. (and the land rover trip is a hoot!).

Hopefully not everybody on your trip reads this next bit: When you arrive (and have used the facilities) don't go straight ahead to the colony as just about everybody does. Instead stroll down to the beach, where it looks like there are not so many King Penguins. When you get there you will find there are plenty, and not many humans, as they are all looking at the colony. And you will go there next, when people start to join you on the beach.

Enjoy it. You Will.

Ciao,

John

Hi Tom,

Just done the volunteer point trip. Best trip of our holiday. But comfort is not any kind of appropriate word. Without exception all should use the available facilities right there where you climb into the Land Rovers (visitors centre- good and clean).

Nothing available as far as we could see when we stopped for a re-grouping at Johnson Harbour. In emergency get your driver to stop his vehicle furthest away from the others and use it as the one restroom wall available for privacy!

To this point it is very dusty solid track roads, just not any metaling (tarmac) on them. After Johnsons harbour there is no time to think of a restroom, you bounce when you are not flying.

BUT let me tell you it is WORTH IT WORTH IT WORTH IT. (and the land rover trip is a hoot!).

Hopefully not everybody on your trip reads this next bit: When you arrive (and have used the facilities) don't go straight ahead to the colony as just about everybody does. Instead stroll down to the beach, where it looks like there are not so many King Penguins. When you get there you will find there are plenty, and not many humans, as they are all looking at the colony. And you will go there next, when people start to join you on the beach.

Enjoy it. You Will.

Ciao,

John

Thanks John,

We have the trip booked and will probably keep it

Tom

John has got it spot on - the volunteer point trip was the highlight of our cruise. Book it - even at the ships prices it is worth every penny.

We enjoyed the cross country part of the drive, we went in a convoy of four vehicles - it is very bumpy but great fun. The drivers advice is to sit like a sack of potatoes and rock with the motion not try to hold yourself rigid. Its not a bad idea to use your coat as padding between your shoulder and the side of the land rover.

John's advice to go straight to the beach is good, if you sit quietly the Kings come near, I have a photo of John sitting with the penguins. The sand is brilliant white.

We went with one of the few freelance operators who was born on the island - he is somewhat concerned for the future of the site. He walked us to the colony and explained the ground rules - parents keep your children under control and near you at all times, no running, dont walk the penguins into the sea, keep out of the marked nesting areas, behave quietly and gently. All very good advice - but ignored by some people I am afraid.

There is a full time warden on site, keeping an eye on things and answering questions. If you go please thank the warden and shake his hand - I think he appreciated it. He and his wife live in a small house on site all season - could be a bit lonely at times but a wonderfull location

As usual you cant please everyone ----,

Some people thought it was too long and too bumpy a journey (but we all knew before we started)

Some small children and teenagers got bored and wanted to go back to the ship - in fact 2 out of our 4 vehicles went back early.

We were lucky we had a beautifull day there bright, windy but not cold.

Fotr this trip you need layers - a fleece, a waterproof (to keep the wind out) and a hat and you will be very comfortable.

You have probably guessed - we enjoyed it

regards Alan

• 3 weeks later...

It's my impression from my Google search that the penguin rookeries at Sparrow Cove and Bluff Cove can only be visited on cruise ship tours, which leaves just Gypsy Cove for a private tour. (Our ship will not be in port long enough to go to Volunteer Point.) Does anyone know of any other possibilities? Thanks.

we are leaving 2-19 for antartica on a princes cruise and would love to hear from anyone who has taken the rockhoopper tour in port stanley.

is it worth taking?

how bumpy and long is the drive to get there?

do you see alot of penguins?

any advise would be greatlyappreciated.

you can e-mail me directly to: dnsnduo44@cox.net

thanks in advance,

barbara

Hello, Gixer or anyone with any info on this topic!

we will be in Pt Stanley on Apr 3 and would like to see penguins in Bluff Cove/or Gypsy Cove/or Sparrow Cove. Is there much difference between these three? Can anyone recommend specific tour company? If anyone have any information on this topic, please email me at lina_mike at yahoo dot com.

Thank you,

Lina

• 2 weeks later...

GIXER does answer the above questions.

You need to take the time to read the entire 6 pages of this thread and she reveals all.

SAMANTHA: I hope you had a fabulous time over here with us in the U.S.

Please (when you find the time - stll unpacking???) let us know how you liked your Disney cruise. Was it what you were expecting?

All of us who have followed this thread from your starting it love you and enjoy, so much, hearing from you.

Welcome back!!!