If anyone has questions about the Falklands...

Gixer

I posted a bit more details on the new excursion on our Roll Call (Insignia, February 17, 2009). We are very interested in doing this excursion and, it would be great if another couple could join us. Let me know. I posted my contact information on the Roll Call thread.

• 3 weeks later...

We’ll be at Port Stanley on Wednesday, 25 March 2009, arriving on the Holland America ms Amsterdam. We’ll only be there from 8 AM until 5 PM. Per your advice I’ll be taking the Sparrow Cove excursion, leaving some time to wander around the town.

I really want to try a ‘real’ Falklands lunch and a pint (or so). A friend who was there a couple of years ago mentioned that I may not be able to get into any of the restaurants or pubs due to the other folks from the ship having ‘staked out’ their positions previously. Do you think I’ll have any trouble, presuming I can get an early tour and get back to town by 1 PM or so?

The July/August issue of National Geographic Traveler magazine has an excellent article on the Falklands including information about Patrick Watts, Volunteer Point and other places to see wildlife.

emileg, thanks for passing along info about this article. We've arranged to tour Volunteer Point with Patrick Watts in March/09. There's certainly no doubt that he's our man in the Falklands.:cool:

emileg, thanks for passing along info about this article. We've arranged to tour Volunteer Point with Patrick Watts in March/09. There's certainly no doubt that he's our man in the Falklands.:cool:

My pleasure. I don't know this for a fact, but I suspect that Patrick runs the business and one could get any of several driver/guides. And, if we are lucky, we might get Patrick.

Has anyone taken Patrick Watts' tours in the Falklands? If so, is it just Patrick or are there several guides?

My pleasure. I don't know this for a fact, but I suspect that Patrick runs the business and one could get any of several driver/guides. And, if we are lucky, we might get Patrick.

Has anyone taken Patrick Watts' tours in the Falklands? If so, is it just Patrick or are there several guides?

The vehicles are 5-seater 4x4s which go out - 1 driver and 4 passengers per vehicle. Patrick employs a number of drivers with their own vehicles, all of whom are experienced in the boggy terrain and know the routes to Volunteer Point well. Since there's no real "road" for most of the trip, the routes change with condition and wear - as one route gets used too much and gets too boggy, they scout out a new track. All his drivers are very good at this, and travel at least 2 vehicles together at all times in case one gets bogged down, the other can pull it out.

He's terrific!

The vehicles are 5-seater 4x4s which go out - 1 driver and 4 passengers per vehicle. Patrick employs a number of drivers with their own vehicles, all of whom are experienced in the boggy terrain and know the routes to Volunteer Point well. Since there's no real "road" for most of the trip, the routes change with condition and wear - as one route gets used too much and gets too boggy, they scout out a new track. All his drivers are very good at this, and travel at least 2 vehicles together at all times in case one gets bogged down, the other can pull it out.

He's terrific!

Thank you Amber. The information you provided on Patrick Watts' tours is very useful. This way we won't have the expectation that we will be with Patrick.

View over 400 rockhopper penguins in their natural environment with stunning views of Berkeley Sound in the background. This is your one and only opportunity to photograph these cute penguins on your ships itinerary. You'll be picked up by your experienced local driver/guide in Port Stanley and driven 60 minutes to the penguin colony. Your journey will be in a comfortable 4 x 4 vehicle and will begin on the road to the Murrell Farm where it will then become an exciting overland experience, driving over the rolling peaty moor. This exclusive tour will take in views of your ship and Stanley also. These penguins have never before been available for viewing by cruise passengers. It is merely the building of the road that has now made them accessible. Youll have one hour 20 minutes to photograph these penguins with only a small group of people along. A guide will accompany you throughout your visit at the penguin site. Refreshments and snacks will be served.

To Najames:

The above is the post on NCL's website for this tour. IT sound like its all landbased. Are you confused. I to am confused about which excursions to take. Would love to see the King penguins but not enough time. I am waiting for GIXER's reply post to yours. Thus we have signed up for all NCL ship tours for 3 different penguin excursions (in 3 different ports) just to make sure we see them. Hope we make it to the Falklands.:)

On Cruise ship days everyone who has a 4x4 is pulled in to help

Last Christmas / New Year (2007 / 8) we did the Volunteer point trip with Neil Rowlands at falklandfrontiers@horizon.co.fk the drivers of the other 4x4's in his convoy were local shopkeepers etc who had closed up for the day.

If you have trouble getting hold of any guys who organise any of these trips on the Falklands it may pay you to email the Falklands tourist office jettycentre@horizon.co.fk. to get their mobile numbers.

There are also guide contact numbers here http://www.visitorfalklands.com/content/blogcategory/12/145/

In the end I found calling their mobiles the easiest way. Neil told me he didnt really have an office so emails had to wait till he got back from a trip. He always has his mobile with him.

It is a good idea to study falklandfrontiers@horizon.co.fk there is a lot of usefull information here that will help

There are a few penguin photos here http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/alanberko/SAmericaDec07

On Cruise ship days everyone who has a 4x4 is pulled in to help

Last Christmas / New Year (2007 / 8) we did the Volunteer point trip with Neil Rowlands at falklandfrontiers@horizon.co.fk the drivers of the other 4x4's in his convoy were local shopkeepers etc who had closed up for the day.

If you have trouble getting hold of any guys who organise any of these trips on the Falklands it may pay you to email the Falklands tourist office jettycentre@horizon.co.fk. to get their mobile numbers.

There are also guide contact numbers here http://www.visitorfalklands.com/content/blogcategory/12/145/

In the end I found calling their mobiles the easiest way. Neil told me he didnt really have an office so emails had to wait till he got back from a trip. He always has his mobile with him.

It is a good idea to study falklandfrontiers@horizon.co.fk there is a lot of usefull information here that will help

There are a few penguin photos here http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/alanberko/SAmericaDec07

To: Retirebrit

I know that you went on a different cruise line, but we are booked on the NCL Sun for Dec. 7, 2008. I looked at your pictures and they are very nice. Did your cruise go to Puerto Madryn. If it did which excurision did you take for that port? We are booked on the Punta Rombo Penguin Rookery excursion to see Magellan penguins. I would love to be able to do the King Penguin excursion in Port Stanley but our visit to the port will not be long enough for port to see them. Did you do any other penguin excursions while on your cruise. From your pictures it looks like you went to all of the same port as we our going on the NCL Sun. Any information wuold be greatly appreciated.:)

Excuse me if this has already be addressed. My wife and I are on a January 2009 Princess cruise that goes to the Falklands. She loves penguins. Is four-wheeling that rough or just not as comfortable as a car? Just don't want to get in over our heads. I'll buy her a pillow if it will help :-). We're celebrating our 50th and in our early 70's.

Thanks.

Excuse me if this has already be addressed. My wife and I are on a January 2009 Princess cruise that goes to the Falklands. She loves penguins. Is four-wheeling that rough or just not as comfortable as a car? Just don't want to get in over our heads. I'll buy her a pillow if it will help :-). We're celebrating our 50th and in our early 70's.

Thanks.

Larry and Pat, it's quite rough. I know that Princess' shore excursion guide cautions that those with back problems should not take the excursion to Volunteer Point. You're 4-wheeling over peat bog, emphasis on bog. In and out of holes, bouncing around rather significantly, in jeeps without a lot of cushioning. However, it's SO worth it to see the King Penguins.

If that's too rough, look at any of the options which take you to the Gentoo colonies. In January, the chicks will be about a month old and are SO cute!

OK, I guess there are some questions that I need to try and help with, so here goes!

dnsnduo44 - Yes, the Rockhopper tour is worth it. You are arriving at a good time to see them, the chicks have already hatched and the adults are moulting before returning to sea so you should get to see quite a lot of little guys! I love Rockhoppers, the are very entertaining and are not shy of humans at all. The journey isnt too rough, so you should be fine.

polinav - Bluff and Sparrow cove are very similar tours, you will see Gentoo penguins, ***** penguins and also a couple of Kings. Both trips are excellent and are only half day excursions so that still leaves enough time to have a look around town. The kids will be fine in a 4x4, infact they will probably find the whole trip pretty exciting! If the journey is a big worry for you though, Gypsy cove is very easy to get too and you wont be driving over any rough ground, you will only see ***** penguins at Gypsy cove, unless there are a few visiting kings or Gentoos passing by.

Gixer, I have read most of your posts and I appreciate all of your helpful information. I was planning on taking the rockhopper excursion to murrell farm until I saw this recent article "The Korean trawler, Ocean 8, caught fire and later sank in the Berkeley Sound on May 19th ,2008 carrying with it a reported 137 mt of gas oil and heavy fuel oil. Volunteer Pt, Kidney Cove, and Berkely Sound Coast of Murrell Farm could all suffer as a result of this sinking" Do you have any further information? Should I be concerned enough to book the Sparrow Cove trip instead since it is not in the same location?

Thanks for all of your help

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
We will bring you a magnet...

Karen

LOL Karen! Like you I couldn't stop reading until I reached the end of the thread... and that was long before it got to 15 pages! You must have missed the post where Gixer said PLEASE! NO MORE MAGNETS!!!! I think with the number she received it should affect ships' navigational systems or something!!

Dorothy

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Cruiser's!

I am so sorry I havent been around for a while, we are in the process of having a new house built and it has been very time consuming! I havent had a chance to read back through the thread yet so aplogies that I havent been able to answer any recent questions. Now that the tourist season is about to begin I will try my best to check in on the thread once every few days, so if you have any questions fire away, but it may take a few days to get a reply. We are desperatley trying/hoping to be in the new house by Christmas so I appreciate your patience :o

I hope your all excited about your up-coming trips and looking forward to visiting the Islands! :)

Gixer,

Welcome Back! I'm looking at the tours with the cruise ship, and although Volunteer Point is highly recommended, I do want to see some of the port and the Falklands too. I thought about Kidney Cove (per your recommendation) but it appears the transportation there is by water, so I wouldn't see much. To see the most of the Falklands and Penguins, what would you recommend? Would Bluff Cove fulfill these wants, what about Sparrow Cove?

Good Luck with the home!

KC

what about Sparrow Cove?

KC, I am not Gixer, but we went to Sparrow Cove and then Port Stanley on a rather short port visit at the Falklands. We thought it was a good day for us. Below is a link to our journal for that time. It will open on the day before Port Stanley, with the tour description at the bottom of that entry. To page forward to the entry for Port Stanley, use the blue arrow at either the top or bottom right of the page. Debbie

http://journals.aol.com/dfriia/circle-south-america-2008-aboard/entries/2008/02/01/day-27---january-30-2008---at-sea/1772

Gixer, it's nice to see you posting again. Thanks for your huge commitment to this thread over the past 2 years. You're a great help to cruisers as we plan our time in Falklands. Here's hoping for a successful season of cruiseship arrivals into Stanley.:cool::cool:

CP, Glad you enjoyed it. Sadly, here is a heads-up for you. AOL has just announced that they are shutting down their Journals feature. So, after Oct. 31, 2008 the link above will be invalid. Sorry, you can read up for the rest of the month, but that will probably be the end of it! Debbie

Hi everyone :)

I just want to reassure you all that the damadge done by the oil spill in Berkely Sound wont affect your wildlife experiences when you visit. The spill has been contained and conservation have been working non stop cleaning the place up. Lots of penguins were brought into town to have oil cleaned off, and everyone helped with the efforts from all the school kids to people donating towels, detergents etc. Some of the coast line around the sound is still affected, but none of your tours go anywhere near that area. Fortunatley the main breeding grounds of Volounteer, Bluff & Sparrow have come away from the tragedy remarkably unscathed (Although I was saddend to see an oiled penguin at Gypsy Cove yesterday) Conservation will be keeping a very close eye on the number of breeding pairs this year and how many chicks are hatched, we will then be able to better assess the impact and damadge caused by the spill.

Anyway, onto the next question - Bluff or Sparrow cove? There isnt much difference in the tours, both will afford you plenty of time to look around town as well as close encounters with the penguins. Sparrow cove last season most definatley had the most friendly chicks, I have seen some wonderful photos and videos from cruisers who were sat on the floor and had penguins climbing over their legs. Both tours are great and it would be very difficult trying to pick one over the other.

Hi Gixer,

Congratulations on your new home - hope all is going smoothly!!

Here is my question - I need help with how to dress the most appropriate way for the Falklands. I know you need to layer but I need suggestions!!

We will be there in January and I just want to dress the best way to enjoy! I like to be as comfortable as possible!

Once again, let me add my thank you for all of the help you have given to so many. You are an ambassador for the Falklands.!!! :D