If anyone has questions about the Falklands...

Gixer

Yes absolutely, I am usually very against ships tours, but this one was fantastic. The landrover ride for 20-30 mins each way is over rough terrain, but the landrovers are built to handle it, and our driver was so interesting we hardly noticed the time.

The setting of Bluff cove is beautiful, and the Cabbage cafe serves lovely cakes, although of course the wonderful penguins are the best thing about it. We were lucky to see 4 Kings with their babies, as well as all the Gentoos.

Yes absolutely, I am usually very against ships tours, but this one was fantastic. The landrover ride for 20-30 mins each way is over rough terrain, but the landrovers are built to handle it, and our driver was so interesting we hardly noticed the time.

The setting of Bluff cove is beautiful, and the Cabbage cafe serves lovely cakes, although of course the wonderful penguins are the best thing about it. We were lucky to see 4 Kings with their babies, as well as all the Gentoos.

debsjc,

Thanks for the info and the photos. Think we will opt for this trip with Princess in February.

Les,

The landrovers will get through must situations, they might get stuck (bogged) but they are well practiced in helping each other out if need be, plus some people enjoy that side entertainment.

In april you will still see King penguins, they have over a year breeding cycle and gentoos who just hang around the Falklands. Don't take any tour to see rockhoppers or Magellanics as they would have left by then.

If you are arriving in april that puts you on the Norwegian Sun, I guess which is the last visit of the season. The last ship of the season in April 009 Hattie and Kevin had a bar-bque down at the lagoon. Not too sure if they'll do that April 2010 but I wouldn't be surprised if they marked the last ship with something extra.

J

PS not Gixer she has left the forums I think, i just decided to try and help people as unbiased as I can

Thank you, everyone, for sharing such good information. We have reserved the Bluff Cove morning excursion with Princess for our trip. We were debating about adding on the Rockhopper outing for the afternoon. I'm afraid this might leave us too rushed, and we would miss any time to see the lovely town of Stanley. If anyone has combined these outings, for an all-day stop in the Falklands, I would love to hear. And I know it is all so weather and sea dependent, that who knows what will actually happen!

thank you for any advice from Cruise Critic members!

Marcia

Have read all of your info on Falklands and it's great. Just wondering why there is nothing on Bluff Cove (a trip offered by Princess). Is it worthwhile? Is it accessible by taxi or private tour? Is it somewhat comparable to Volunteer Point? We will be in the Falklands on Mar. 2, 2010. Could you please respond to my personal email <lawteach@hotmail.com> Thanks so much for all your help, Cheryl Rosenthal

anyone know if ncl has a tour to bluff cove? i couldn't find it on their website... but i have heard they have some technical difficulties with their excursion information.

urquie, using jasonflk's info and other previous postings we decided the Lagoon Bluff tour by NCL was the Bluff Cove Tour. At this time on the ncl website, excursions, South America, Stanley ...its listed. check the detailed description it and appears to be the same. For some photos of this tour by another NCL Sun cruiser see:

http://gtbow.smugmug.com/Travel/South-America-Cruise/7580874_vPLqv#490084365_5VAaQ

and

http://gtbow.smugmug.com/Travel/South-America-Cruise/7580874_vPLqv#P-4-15

Which date are you sailing?

les

Bluff cove can only be organised through the cruise lines no private tour goes there, NCL do have tours as well as Princess, plus others.

Volunteer is spectaclar but basically takes you the whole day, bluff cove is also great but takes half a day your choice.

Gixer/Samantha - thank you for the wealth of information and the incredible photography!

We will be vistiting Stanley in Februaey. Our cruise offer several tours to see penguins, Lagoon Bluff, Sparrow Cove and Rockhopper Colony (all 2 - 3 hours). Two new options Lorenzo Penguin and North Pond (each 6 hours), have been added. Do you have any information on the the two new tours? Thanks, Maria

We will be arriving in Stanley on March 3 and in reviewing our ship's excursions on penguins it says

Seasonal penguin migration in certain areas might prevent operation of this tour between March to April. In the event that the penguins are no longer present, guests will be given the chance to substitute an alternative shore excursion.

So are penquin sightings low that time of year? Should I consider some other excursion?

If penguins are still in abundance which tour would be the best choice... Sparrow Cove, Bluff Cove or Rockhopper penguin tours? Unfortunately, we are only scheduled for 6 hrs so the ship doesn't offer the Volunteer Point tour. The site link on this thread says that needs 7 hrs.

Also I was confused about the postings about a bus that takes you out to one area where you have a 5 min viewing? That's a bit short or was it a mistype?

Do try to get to Volunteer point if at all possible

Look at http://www.visitorfalklands.com/content/blogcategory/12/151/

I have used - Falkland Frontiers Contact/Operator: Neil RowlandsSpecialty: Fishing, wildlife, excursions and transport services.tel:

+ 500 51561email:falklandfrontiers@horizon.co.fk

Neil Rowlands was wonderfull - the trip was the highlight of our cruise some photos http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/alanberko/SAmericaDec07#

regards Alan

Thank you very much, the pictures are awesome!

urquie, using jasonflk's info and other previous postings we decided the Lagoon Bluff tour by NCL was the Bluff Cove Tour... For some photos of this tour by another NCL Sun cruiser see:

paul - thank you so much for the info and links! we've just signed up for the ncl tour. :) the pics made the decision very easy!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gixer,

I wish we could find a trip to Volunteer Point for around $100. Patrick Watts is charging $185 US per head for 5.5 hours. We hear he is excellent but appears to be the only option. Any ideas?

We'll be there December 13th.

Jan and Keith

You cant really compare the two, they are very different experiences, when you go to Volounteer point you really are out in the wilderness, and king penguins are most peoples favourite, when people picture penguins they tend to think of kings. It is a privilege to be able to see them in the wild and in their natural enviroment, a real ''one off'' Tours are available from town either by 4 x 4 or sometimes by boat if the seas are not to rough. This excursion doesnt come cheap however, your looking at probably $100 per person. This trip is really for real wildlife enthusiasts or photographers.

However that doesnt discredit Gypsy cove, its on a beautiful penninsular, Dolphins swimming in the bay, white sand, vast areas of land bright red from all the Diddle dee berries. Meg penguins or Jackasses as we tend to call them are comedians, they are smaller but just as noisy and not shy of people, and its very easy to walk along a purpose built path to the best viewing points. It doesnt feel as ''wild'' as Volounteer, as your only a few minutes from town, but for your first penguin encounter its still very special, and it will still take your breath away to see them in their natural enviroment. We do have a King Penguin who visits Gypsy cove each summer, so hopefully he will be there when you visit!

I think if your only hear for a short time, then a look around town and a visit to Gypsy cove would suit most people.

Im not sure if Im allowed to post pictures in this forum? If I am able too then I could post some photos of Gypsy cove and volounteer so you can see the differences?

I wish we could find a trip to Volunteer Point for around $100. Patrick Watts is charging $185 US per head for 5.5 hours. We hear he is excellent but appears to be the only option. Any ideas?

We'll be there December 13th.

Hi Jan and Keith,

see below for who we went with.

If I was in your place I would book a private tour at almost any cost and if you are lucky enough to be offered one! - I expect it will be cheaper than the ships tour - which will be similar in that in both cases you travel in a convoy of 4X4's but on a private tour the money you pay stays on the island and is not part of the ships revenue.

Remember there are no roads or even marked tracks for the journey after you leave the made up road. Usually 4 passengers plus driver in the 4X4, its a long bumpy quite hard drive and in my opinion well worth the money.

When we went it was the highlight of the cruise - the Kings on a white beach are a sight I will never forget.

I dont think you stand any chance of haggling to get the price down, and in fact when you get there you will probsbly realise why. There are many more people wanting to go than there is capacity. Most of the drivers I spoke to were ex pat Brits who would probably be offended if you tried to haggle. Its not like other tourist ports with lots of taxis standing round.

There are only a limited number of 4x4's on the island and when we were there everyone who had one turned out. Several shopkeepers shut their shop for the day.

enjoy your trip regards Alan

I can just confirm, that demand for volunteers outstrips the available drivers on almost all big cruise ship days. The chances of you getting it cheaper are very unlikely.

Many people do take leave from their jobs to do tour guiding as very few people can earn an all year living from it, unsure though of the persons who close their shops.

Gixer,

How does seeing the penguins at Gypsy Cove compare to those at Volunteer Point? Are there any tours from the ships to Volunteer Point? What is the cost? Is Gypsy Cove a decent alternative?

Our ship will be there (weather permitting) on 4 Dec, from 8am to 6pm, so that may be too tight on time to go to Volunteer Point. Plus, I'd like some time in Stanley, too. (I like that it's got a hop-on, hop-off bus!)

Are you taking the HAL cruise from Rio to Santiago? That's the ship we will be on at the same time and are also trying to see things without paying the high cruise ship excursion prices for each port. Chennai

Yes we are on the HAL ship from RIO to SLC. I really appreciate everyone's replies and I am happy paying the cruise ship day premium. It is not a HAL excursion so I'm hoping the $$ stay local. I just like to know if there is anything to compare to. We are backpackers and most of our time is spent volunteering, so to travel (which is our passion), we need to watch our pennies. But there is almost always one splurge on every trip and this one will be it. Thanks again.

Keith and Jan:rolleyes:

I did Volunteer Point with Patrick in Jan 2009 and it was worth every penny. Cost was $185 US but if you paid in pounds it was significantly cheaper. Forget the actual conversion but believe it came in at less than $150. Princess tour was I think $339!

I hope to be back in March 2010 and will probably try the Bluff Cove optionso I can see more of the local area.

Volunteer Point was spectacular, penguins were fantastic

I did Volunteer Point with Patrick in Jan 2009 and it was worth every penny. Cost was $185 US but if you paid in pounds it was significantly cheaper. Forget the actual conversion but believe it came in at less than $150. Princess tour was I think $339!

I hope to be back in March 2010 and will probably try the Bluff Cove optionso I can see more of the local area.

Volunteer Point was spectacular, penguins were fantastic

I have no idea what prices are being quoted for 2010 but I would remind readers that last year's prices have no bearing on what the prices are in 2010.

Please note that the reason that paying in pounds last year was signficantly cheaper had to do with fluctuations in the exchange rates from the time the tour prices were set to the time the tour actually took place. When prices were set for the 2009 season (2Q, 2008), the dollar was very weak and the cost of a pound was at near record highs--just over $2. By the time we sailed, the dollar had strengthened again. However, the tour operator did not adjust his prices to reflect the higher price equivalent in pounds. Thus, those who paid in pounds did actually save money. However, 2010 is a whole new year and who knows how the flucuations in the exchange rates will affect this year's prices.

We have a reservation with Patrick Watts for a tour to Volunteer Point on Feb. 1st. I'm anxious to see Penguins but my husband wants to see Battlefield sites. Can you tell us about the 2 hour drive and will he be satisfied with seeing some Battlefield sites along the way?