If anyone has questions about the Falklands...

Gixer

We just returned from the Star Princess South American/Antarctica cruise and just wanted to thank you for all the info on Port Stanley. We had great weather (much more pleasant than our stop there two years ago.)

We'd booked Volunteer Point with Patrick Watts. There was a caravan of 12 4 wheel drive vehicles in our caravan. It was great fun and we did have the experience of getting "bogged" and having to be pulled out.

The weather was great and the penguins were spectacular. Just a word to anyone interested in booking penguin tours at Port Stanley and other penguin ports - don't wait til you get on board to do it. There were many disappointed passengers who thought they could book on board. They don't realize the limitations at the Falklands due to the population - and there was another ship in that day as well, bringing the total number of passengers to around 3300!! Way more than the population of Port Stanley.

Thanks again to Gixer and to all the lovely Falkland Islanders. What a great community you have!

• 2 weeks later...

Barbara, As Gixer has not replied to your question yet I looked at the Penguin Lady video in question and I think that since I recently visited that I can answer your question. Yes, it could happen. Often? I would think not. There is a rope on the ground that the penguins can cross at Sparrow Cove and the humans are not to cross. You are not to touch the penguins, but there is nothing keeping the penguins from touching you. We were warned that they can actually really hurt you and raise a blood blister when they peck and they do peck. Most of the penguins we saw were juveniles and were very curious, like most youngsters they explore the world with their mouths. We were very cautious not to get bitten. Also, the ground around the penguins is just covered with poo and molted feathers. Most people would not be willing to stretch out on the ground like that in that mess. But, this woman did and a young penguin walked over her legs. Totally believable from my experience at Sparrow Cove, but probably not a daily occurence. Debbie

Hi Gixer,

I'm curious if the Rockhoppers have left already. We had been contemplating a tour to see them but switched to Bluff Cove instead. I'm just wondering if we made a good decision.

Thanks, Shelly

Not Gixer, but I think I can help here. Falklands has its own currency. All the shops and the Globe tavern we visited readily accepted US Dollars. It is expensive there! But, they know that ships are only there for the day and no one is exchanging to local money. Enjoy, Debbie

Not Gixer, but I think I can help here. Falklands has its own currency. All the shops and the Globe tavern we visited readily accepted US Dollars. It is expensive there! But, they know that ships are only there for the day and no one is exchanging to local money. Enjoy, Debbie

Here is what our guide told us: There is only one bank in Stanley, and they have a lousy exchange rate for Falkland pound to US dollar. Some of the locals save their US dollars to spend in Chile, instead of converting to Falkland pounds and losing on the exchange rate.

I also found that US dollars were widely accepted. However, if you plan to buy anything of substantial value, it might be wiser to get some pound sterling (accepted at par with the Falkland pound) as you will certainly get a better exchange rate at home.

Actually, the Falklands do have their own currency, but they use Pounds Sterling. I had both dollars and pounds. I got better prices using the pounds. I did receive a few coins in change in their currency which I kept as souvenirs---their coins have penguins, seals, and birds.

• 3 weeks later...
I would be happy to try and answer them for you as I live in Stanley. I actually registered to cruise critic to find info about Disney cruises as we are taking the children on a trip in January, and just had a look in this forum out of curiosity!

Hope I can be of some help to those of you planning a future trip :)

gixer,

i just got back from the falklands and had an unique experience with a gentoo penguin. i have posted a short clip showing it at :

i was wondering if you could tell me how unusual this is. this chick stepped over me 3 times!! it seemed like a game to me. one time he actually squatted on my lap. thanks for expert knowledge. barbara

Barbara, As Gixer has not replied to your question yet I looked at the Penguin Lady video in question and I think that since I recently visited that I can answer your question. Yes, it could happen. Often? I would think not. Most people would not be willing to stretch out on the ground like that in that mess. But, this woman did and a young penguin walked over her legs. Totally believable from my experience at Sparrow Cove, but probably not a daily occurence. Debbie

Here is a link:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=penguin+lady+falkland+islands&search_type=

Here is another. Watch to the end.

Hi everyone -

First of all let me apologise, I have totally neglected the SA forum these last few weeks :o

I am still around, but am hanging out in the NCL lounge at the moment planning our next trip, all my time has been taken up researching our next vacation (I cant get enough of reading threads about NCL's villa's they look amazing!)

Glad you all enjoyed your cruises and your visit to the Falklands, sounds like some of you had great fun with the penguins! The Gentoo chicks can be very curious and if you sit quiet and still long enough they do tend to come and investigate! Gentoo's definatley do that type of thing more than any other species, but its usually always the chicks that are so inquisitive :D

Thank you all for the kind messages and fridge magnets - WOW! I have got loads and loads of them, I dont think I can fit anymore in the kitchen! :eek: :o

I will try and pop in a bit more often, but if there is something you need an urgent answer to then you will definatley find me in the NCL forum :)

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for all the information you have supplied others. It has been very helpful. We, party of 4, will be visiting in January 2009 via Norwegian.

If Gypse Cove, via mini bus, only takes about an hour, and the trip to Spanish Cove is only 3 hours, is it possible to go to Gypse Cove in the morning and then find a local tour operator to go to Spanish Cove, after he is finished with ship tours? What would the approximate cost be with a local?

What would be the approximate cost be for a taxi for a couple hours?

Also, how far is Gypse Cove form the post in either Miles or Kilometers? Is it possible to take the Mini Bus to the cove and walk back, or is 45-minutes enough time there?

Again, thanks for all your help - Ken

Thank you for all the information you have supplied others. It has been very helpful. We, party of 4, will be visiting in January 2009 via Norwegian.

If Gypse Cove, via mini bus, only takes about an hour, and the trip to Spanish Cove is only 3 hours, is it possible to go to Gypse Cove in the morning and then find a local tour operator to go to Spanish Cove, after he is finished with ship tours? What would the approximate cost be with a local?

What would be the approximate cost be for a taxi for a couple hours?

Also, how far is Gypse Cove form the post in either Miles or Kilometers? Is it possible to take the Mini Bus to the cove and walk back, or is 45-minutes enough time there?

Again, thanks for all your help - Ken

Hello :)

It is most definatley possible to do Sparrow cove and Gypsy cove in the same day. Local Taxi's run to Gypsy cove all the time on cruise ship days, so that isnt an issue, however getting someone to take you to Sparrow cove is a different matter entirley, I would seriously consider booking this through your cruise excursion programme. Personally I would do Sparrow cove in the morning, and then in the afternoon have a wander around town and take a taxi to Gypsy Cove. It is possible to hike back, maybe 45 min walk if the weather is nice.

I do understand since taking my first cruise the desire to boycott ships excursions in favour of local tour guides, but that really just doesnt apply in the Falklands, our community is too small to cope with locals being booked by the ship AND still have private tour operators available for bookings. The only real exception to this is for Volunteer point.

• 1 month later...

Hi Gixer! From an islander to another ....

We're booked on NCL Norwegian Sun, visiting Port Stanley on Dec 30th 2008.

I booked the ship's excursion to the Bluff Cove - and here I am asking if Bluff Cove is okay. It leaves at 10:15 which means we'll have time to have late lunch and explore Stanley before rejoining the ship. Can you recommend a good place to have local lamb stew or some local seafood (or both!!)? Thanks!

P.S. What happened to April 2009 Independence of the Seas? I can't figure out why would you, coming from a place with 3000 people, would cruise on a ship with 4000 other pax! A colleague of mine went on it last month and she LOVED it.

I have been given your name as the resident Falkland expert, and wanted to know if you could do the volunteer point using your own 4 x 4's or not. I have read that it is pretty tricky, with several of the vehicles getting stuck in the mud. What is your recommendation? I would appreciate any help.

Regards Don Dayton ddayton@cgocable.ca

Hi Don!

Having done this excursion myself, I would *not* recommend someone doing this on their own. Even experienced local drivers get bogged down and require other vehicles to pull them out. The way is not marked, and the drivers are constantly changing the pathways depending on recent weather conditions and other factors. Trying to do this on your own (if a 4x4 is even available to rent), with the limited time in port as it's a long distance would be a HUGE risk. Better to book through the ship or an independent excursion with one of the very few independent operators.

Hi Don,

BurBunny is right, there is no way possible that you could do this excursion on your own. You are off road for the best part of the trip, the tracks are sometimes visable and sometimes not depending on weather/flooding etc, you could be following a track that you think is the correct one only to discover your heading in totally the wrong direction and are actually following sheep gathering tracks left by farmers. The chances of you getting lost/bogged are very very real. There are no markers, so sign posts, no maps, just miles and miles of nothingness.

I have only driven it twice myself, always with a landrover infront of me and one behind me, Im pretty confident off road but I wouldnt attempt that journey unless I was with the guys who know the way/ground conditions better than anyone else, and even they sometimes make mistakes and get bogged!

Its a brilliant trip and highly recommended, a real ''once in a lifetime'' type thing :)

Hi Bluesea777

WOW what I wouldnt give to be in Bermuda right now, its COLD here at the moment!!!

Bluff Cove is a great trip, you get to see the Penguins and still have enough time to explore around town. I would recommend the Brasserie for lunch, when you get off the tender go straight up the hill infront of you, only about 100 yards and its on the right hand side of the road, they always do a gorgeous local Lamb dish, the one they have on at the moment is Lamb shanks cooked in a sort of tomato/veg/beans stew with mash potatoes, its lovely!

Your coming at a great time of year, your going to see loads of cute fluffy penguin chicks!

p.s - I gave up on the Independance idea, we have done Europe to death and in April the weather can still be pretty cold, so we switched and are doing Liberty of the Seas Eastern Caribbean instead ;)

Bluesea,

We are on the NCL Sun and will be in Stanley on February 6, 2009. We also chose the Bluff Cove excursion mainly because I wanted to be able to see the town of Stanley if possible. I figure we will have two hours after the excursion. I wil be anxious to see what you have to say when you return.

Gixer,

Thanks for all your information you have given us. When we get closer I am sure we will be asking more questions. I was going to bring you a "Mouse" magnet but I see that you have already been to see the "Mouse." If one wants to buy magnets from Stanley where do you suggest? We will have to plan our two hours very carefully!! I am going to go back and reread all of your comments. Thanks again.

Hi S&B,

2 hours is plenty of time to have a look around town and do a little shopping. When you get off the tender turn right and walk down the street about 50 yards and on the left hand side is the Waterfront gift shop, they have the best selection of fridge magnets. Carry on to the Catherdral and have your photo taken under the beautiful whale bone arch.

Next you will come to the West Store where you can stock up on snacks and opposite that is the Capstan gift Shop they have some lovely things in there.

Carry on down along Victory Green past the Ship Mast and cannons, keep walking down until you get to the little white clapboard church. Just past that on the left is the Falklands war memorial. Carry on straight along and you reach Goverment house. Just past that is the 1st World war memorial and the ship wreck.

On your way back take a right turn at the West store and you will see Deano's bar, turn left and you will see the Pink Shop, and futher along the Falklands wool shop, carry on down the road look to your left at the junction and at the bottom of the hill is the tender pier (about 30 yards) and POD gift shop. Stop in at the Globe as you head down the hill for a quick beer on your way to the tender.

You could do all the above in an hour :)

Can someone please update the contact addresses for Watts and Doherty? We are wanting to go to Volunteer Island in December and both of their emails listed here have bounced back to me. Google isn't helping either. Judy

Cant help on the two names you quoted. Last Christmas / New Year (2007 / 8) we did the trip with Neil Rowlands at falklandfrontiers@horizon.co.fk He is always very busy and you may be too late to book for this December.. If you have trouble getting hold of him or if his email has changed try the Falklands tourist office jettycentre@horizon.co.fk. Neil says he is inundated with emails so he may have changed his email address

We booked more than a year ahead and were lucky to get a non ship tour - it took a lot of emails and telephoning the Falklands from the UK.

There are not many 4x4's on the island that are not tied up with the cruise ships so choice is limited. The trip is made in Convoy and when we went a couple of drivers in our convoy were not familier with the terrain and Neil always made sure he could see them following. Its a great trip most of it over moorland type terrain with no real tracks that I could see.

Whatever you do dont miss this trip - now I have been on it if I went to the Falkland again I would willingly pay the cruise ship price or even more.

In my opinion it is not really a good trip for children or anyone not interested in wildlife. When we went there were some families with young children (and a couple of teen agers) who went back to Stanley early as they were bored!!

For me this was the best trip I have done - there were lots and lots of penguins and if you sit quietly they come to you.

There are some photos of the Falklands ans Isla Margaretta on on my Picasa web album

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/alanberko/SAmericaDec07

Good luck Alan

I know Patrick does have periodic problems with emails being blocked and not getting through - either to him or his return. AOL is often the culprit, but it's also happened with hotmail as I recall.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know about others, but it's driving me nuts to book a penguin tour here. I'd like to see some kings, rockhoppers, gentoos. I can see the Magellans on another port excursion.

I can't go to Volunteer Point because our NCL cruise stop over is evidently too short and the trip is not offered, 9am to 4pm on Dec12.

I read through this thread and decided I wanted to do a Kidney Cove trip, next best, but evidently it isn't offered. Emailed them.

Sparrow Cove doesn't stop in Stanley, directly ship to boat.

The Rockhopper Adventure trip is by boat says "You'll circumnavigate the island and stop in two areas to view from the boat", but evidently doesn't let you actually get out of the boat.

The other Ride to Rockhopper trip evidently only has Rockhoppers and doesn't stop to see any gentoos or kings, plus is too far/difficult to walk to see Gentoos they said.

This only leaves me with Lagoon Bluff to have a chance to see Gentoos and Kings. I wouldn't be able to see any Rockhoppers. :(

Gixer, chime in. Am I understanding this correctly?

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/shorex.html?destinationCode=SOUTH+AMERICA&previousValue=PSY&portCode=PSY&startingRowNumber=0&selectedDateRange=&priceProgramCode=BESTFARE&packageId=&shipCode=&dispatch=shorexSearch&dispatch=nonItinerarySearch

• 2 weeks later...
I would be happy to try and answer them for you as I live in Stanley. I actually registered to cruise critic to find info about Disney cruises as we are taking the children on a trip in January, and just had a look in this forum out of curiosity!

Hope I can be of some help to those of you planning a future trip :)

We will be visiting Port Stanley March 2009 and like many others really want to have a penguin experience. Gus and Paula are starting a new venue next year and are going to North Pond instead of Volunteer Point. There will be fewer people, a bit shorter trip with the option to return to Port Stanley via a different route, gentoos and magellanic but no breeding King Penguins. We are wrestling between the two destinations, can you offer any advice/wisdom? :confused:

Beth