If anyone has questions about the Falklands...

Gixer

Sorry, it is 1am here, and I guess I didn't pay attention to my spelling. It should be Falklands.[

quote=chloe kitty;19207963]We were in the Fauklins in March and went to Volunteer point. There is no doubt that it is the best place to see the Penguins, however it does take at least 2 hours to get there and 2 hours back. That doesn't really leave much time to mingle with the King Penguins. It could be done, but really rushed!!

Since this is a tender port, it makes time that much shorter.

Good luck and enjoy the Fauklins.

• 1 month later...

Hi Gixer,

I have booked a December 2009 trip that includes the Falklands and just found this thread.

We are actually scheduled to be in Port Stanley 1/2/10 and in port from 7a - 1p. :( From reading prior posts, it doesn't sound like I'll have time to do Volunteer Point (which really interested me).

Sorry to ask a worn-out question - but given my time constraints - what itinerary would seem to make the most of my time there? I was more interested in seeing the penguins/nature, but now I'm not so sure I'll have much time.

What are your thoughts? Thank you so much for your continued kindness !! :)

Hi All Volunteer Point was the highlight of our Christmas 2007/8 cruise - but remember its a long journey from Stanley more than half (maybe two thirds) is cross country over moorland - there are no tracks - certainly no roads - so its very slow - each group of drivers has their own preferred route. When we went some of the drivers in our convoy were local shopkeepers in their own 4 x 4's.

Make sure you have enough time its a long swim to your next port of call, we were certain of out timings but unlike other excursions you pick up at the dock gates - you have few alternatives in the event of problems en route.

It was a brilliant experience - enjoy

regards Alan

• 2 months later...

Do try to get to Volunteer point if at all possible

Look at http://www.visitorfalklands.com/content/blogcategory/12/151/

I have used - Falkland Frontiers Contact/Operator: Neil RowlandsSpecialty: Fishing, wildlife, excursions and transport services.tel:

+ 500 51561email:falklandfrontiers@horizon.co.fk

Neil Rowlands was wonderfull - the trip was the highlight of our cruise some photos http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/alanberko/SAmericaDec07#

regards Alan

Hllo

Thanks for your help

I think Volunteer Point sounds wonderful; but I am concerned about the ride .I do have issues with my lower back Would you say the ride MIGHT put me out of function for the rest of the cruise ???

We will be there early Jan off Star Princess ,Will I be content with Gypsy Cove ?

Where else or who with can we see GREAT scenery

What is the going rate to get to Volunteer point?

Any suggestions????

For you if you are going to St Thomas .Coki Beach snorkeling is great right off the shore no need for boat unless you really want one .Get dog biscuits from rental shop feed the fish ...I bring RICE crispies ...they love them !!!!

If you have youngsters go to COral worlD first .... next door literally.... LOVELY Aquarium ..My children loved feeding the sting rays .Coupons on their website

St Maarten ask locals about the wind ...if Ok go to Orient Beach ...I like Divi Little Bay Beach ...ALWAYS calm ..take a taxi there ...LOvely

I did not read your Whole post but I have been MANY times to Carib ask away if you need more info for other places

Michele

The ride to Volunteer Point is bumpy - but fun. My husband has some back issues but he was ok. I was a "tiny" bit queasy but I wouldn't have missed it. Take some crackers along. I will always remember this excursion as one of the best!!!

Also, Patrick is very careful about the sailing time for the ship. Sign up quick because I believe his tour book quickly.

Do you remember how much he charged per person ?

How long was the trip?

If Nausea is a problem I will bring GRAVOL /

So you think I will be Ok ..I'l l take Tylenol before I go

I wrote to him ..waiting for reply

Need recommendations for other places too

I reserved with Princess for Magdalena Islands ..i hear they are special

I find it hard to get info on South America ...also it appears more expensive then I thought of

I don't usually take ships excursions, but we took the Bluff Cove ships tour to see penguins at the end of Feb last year, and it was fatastic. They even had 2 pairs of King penguins there with their babies.

The landrover ride is about 30 mins, and is quite rough, but because the landrovers are built for that terrian it doesn't jar you too much. Even my mum, who suffers from a bad back, was fine.

Sorry I had your name wrong in the above post:o The ride to Volunteer Point was FUN - don't worry too much about queasy - I loved it.

Patrick Watts gives you all kinds of necessary info when inquiring about his tour and he will answer any questions you may have. He also provides a nice bag lunch too included in the tour price. I would go back there given the opportunity.:)

Wrote to Patrick

Yes I'm booked waiting for Confirmation

THis trip is FINALLY taking shape ...a few more replies and I will be DONE...YEAH !

Looking forward to it /I LOVED LOVED LOVED Alaska and Yukon with Carnival

I know Princess part will be great .....I hope South America will be as GREAT ....now to get rid of H1N1 threat

THanks for help Samantha and others ...see you on shore Will definitely get some diddledee jam ...what a cute name!!!!

Michele

Gixer/Samantha-

Hello! I´ve read through this whole fascinating thread and am now so excited about our upcoming visit to the Falklands!

We will be on the Antarctica/SA Cruise on the Infinity , January 31st.

My question:

We will be traveling with our 3 children -Isabella , age 12 , Felipe , age 9 and Nicholas who will have just turned 6.

I have read all the posts about the different options (Bluff/ Sparrow / Gypsy/ Volunteer Point) and all sound quite lovely. I know Volunteer Point is the star , but I´d like your advice as a mother. What do you think would be the most fun for the kids?

They are very experienced travelers-we´ve been on cruise to the Med , the Baltics and the Caribbean. They LOVE animals and are very excited about seeing the penguins.

We will have a lot of sea days on this cruise , so this opportunity to get outside , on land is important. They love sticks , rocks and sand.

What would you recommmend in our situation? Thank you so much!

Kim

P. S Have you lived on the islands all your life?

Hi Brazilgirl

Gixer no longer posts on this thread as far as I know. Someone posted some unkind comments about her so she just let them get on with it. In mho cruise critic has lost a very helpfull poster for the Falklands

For me Volunteer point was the highlight - most adults would have spent more time there but I saw children of all ages become very bored very quickly. Many wouldnt walk and watch but insisted on running about - some herding the Kings into the sea. It could be the long drive - I dont know - the warden that lived there told me he was worried that some parents wouldnt contol their children - as he said its not a zoo park - he thought that in the future barriers might have to be put up to keep the children off of the nesting areas

Several families left early Volunteer point early when we were there.

But for me - ti was a beautifull New Years day - it was just magic

regards Alan

We traveled in December last year with a 8 year old girl and 10 year old boy.They also have done many cruises and we just did the Baltics and St. Petersburg with them. After reading the threads, we decided to do the rockhoppers. It was somwhat of a drive but nothing like volunteer point. For us it was the perfect choice. My grandchildren are ADHD and become bored quite easily. We had already seen the penguins in Ushuia, and they loved that. We had studdied about penguins for months before we went and they were both excited to see them, but the long drive would have been out of the question. I even think i might have been a little bored. However, we were traveling with some people we met on cruise critc and they also had children the same ages, although both were girls. They did volunteer point and it was perfect for them. I think it really depends on your children. There were others that went to volunteer point and left the children on board and took them to see the penguins in Ushuia- which is much much closer. IMHO you will have to decide based on your own children. Sticks, rocks, and sand sounds to me like they like doing, not just watching and riding.

Tgetz and Alan-

I really appreciate your input...I think the rockhoppers might be a good option . I want the kids have time to run around and be free as well as see the penguins .

Tgetz-

Did you enjoy the Baltics-we got back in July-it was just amazing!What has been your grandkids favorite itinerary so far? ?Did you have any issues with seasickness on the SA itinerary? Did you visit Antartica?

I am very sad to know that Gixer hasn´t been around. Amazing help she has given on this thread.

Kim

Brazilgirl,

Hey there! We're booked for the Bluff Lagoon for 2 reasons: less time to get there and we'll have more time in Stanley. We're not too fussy about seeing particular types of penguins since where we are from we have never seen penguins up close so we'll be happy to be able to walk amongst them. We did think about Volunteer Point but do not fancy long drives especially when we are in port for short time especially when it's a tender port.

I have seen pics of Bluff Lagoon - it's a beach with penguins - lots of them, so we're happy to have picked this tour.

I am very sad to know that Gixer hasn´t been around. Amazing help she has given on this thread.

I agree. It's sad!

If you are seeing this, Gixer, I'd love to meet you on 29 Dec 2009 after our Bluff Lagoon tour so we can swap stories about our island lives.

Gixer, we'd already booked the Santiago Marriott and I was delighted to read that you often stay there when you go there on shopping trips! That the hotel is next door to a shopping centre! I assume you locals would fly to Santiago rather than BA when making getaways to USA or Europe.

Yet we are still interested about your island life as compared to Bermuda.

As I see it the best excursion for the kids will be one of the shorter ones, sparrow cove or bluff cove. Volunteers point is great but probably a bit far and I find kids do get bored with it. My two have been to many places around the islands on beaches with thousands on penguins and other wildlife but we soon find them playing in sand dunes.

Bluff Cove has a cafe and I believe are planning on having a small museum as well.

You also have the option of a just going to Gypsy Cove 15mins from stanley by taxi/bus where you will only see magalanics penguins. But not is such great numbers as they have eggs/chicks and often hide in their burrows.

Another option might be the Nature trek which also ends up at gypsy cove but the guide(s) will aslo point out some of the other fauna and flora you might miss.

Hope that helps

Just noticed your date, should read through in more detail. 31st Jan you should see some more Magellanics as the young will start to leave the burrows. Incidentally the best time to see them is when the adults return from the sea at around 5pm however the majority of the cruise ships leave by then.