What to do arrive Barcelona 7:45am

DH and I will arrive Barcelona around 7:45 in the morning for a cruise leaving the same day. I understand cruise line normally does not let you check in until noon. Can anybody give us some ideas as what we should do with our time in between? Also, is there a place we can store our luggage if we go off sightseeing? How far is the airport from the pier? if we call a taxi, how much will that cost? or are there any other transportations we can use.

Many thanks in advance!

Cab fare from the airport to the pier will run you about 35 Euros. My recollection is that it is about a 30-40 minute ride depending on traffic.

When we were in Barcelona last month (Millennium cruise), we hired a taxi van on the spot to drive us to several sites around the city. The flat rate that we paid was 50 Euros per hour. You could hire the taxi-van to take you and your luggage around to different attractions in the city for 2-3 hrs after you arrive and then get dropped off at the pier. The only inconvenience that we found with spot hiring a taxi for touring is that the drivers do not speak English.

One suggestion is to leave your luggage at the airport at the luggage storage place and take the airport bus into town. Tour either the HOHO bus or just walk and metro to get a feel for this wonderful city, then airport bus back to the airport and taxi to port.

We arrived at about that time in the morning (USAir from Philly) and were the first plane in, the airport was not crowded and getting the bus into town was very easy. The only thing I don't know is when the left luggage office is open.

That early in the morning Las Ramblas is pretty empty and the market is nice and full of very fresh food and not crowded.

They have left luggage at the train station which would be much better than going back to the airport to retrieve your belongings. The left luggage is very safe and easy to use. Then you can enjoy Barcelona and just pick up your bags before you head to the port.

We saw people arriving at the port around 9am last Sat. as we were leaving. I am sure they did not get on the ship at that time since they were still unloading..but they do start letting people on around 11am. By the time you get your bags and get to the port it would probably be around 9-9:30..you could wait a bit until they start taking cruise luggage..get it all sent and then go off and look around Barcelona a bit..taxis come and go from the port..then you wouldn't have to worry about luggage.

Does the cruise line offer an excursion for people flying in..I know they have them on the last day for people with late flights and they store the luggage. Or you could go straight to the port, wait to check in and go on board around 11am. Just depends on what you want to see in Barcelona.

Although we have not run into this situation in Barcelona I can tell you what we would do if we had your situation. Simply take a taxi from the airport directly to the port, drop your luggage with the porters (you should be able to do this without checking-in) and than you can have your taxi continue over the bridge and be at the Ramblas in 2 minutes. The real trick is keeping your carry-on light enough that its not a real bother during the day. In these situations we put our carry-on into backpacks which we can comfortably carry during the day.

Hank

Archived