European Restaurant Room

Wow, do I feel weird saying this, but Yes, as a matter of fact I have a photo of a "turkish" style toilet.

This photo was taken in a public restroom near Alba, Italy.

171610433_c4cd7f9466_m.jpg

It is definitely the exception, rather than the rule though, to encounter these type of toilets. Be sure to keep tissue with you because in the handful of times I've seen these, they haven't come stocked.

Generally toilets will be what you're used to with the exception of the location of the flushing handle. It may be a cord hanging from the ceiling, a button or lever on top of the tank that you push or pull, a pedal on the floor -- just look around, you'll find it eventually :)

I encountered my first one of the above (see photo in previous post) in Dubrovnik, Croatia. After

waiting in line to use the facilities, once I got in the room I just stood

there and stared! No way could I figure out how to use it with the outfit I

was wearing! So...decided to just"hold it" until we got back to the ship! (I

did make it back safely, if a bit uncomfortably.) We were touring that day

with another couple who had been living in Turkey for almost a year. She

told me it took some getting used to for her to use this type of facility.

She said they were fortunate to have a real toilet in their living quarters.

But this young bride from Alabama had mastered using the "squatty potty"

as she called it! I, on the other hand, did not want to "experiment" and

perhaps not get it just right (if you know what I mean). AH..traveling is

so filled with these unique "experiences"...right? That's why we LOVE IT!

A question only a non-native English speaking guy can ask:

I am wondering that the thread called EUROPEAN RESTAURANT ROOM...

Does the word RESTROOM come from

RESTaurant ROOM???

Regards,

HeinBloed

Carry your personal camping toilet with you on your cruise. So you are safe on all shore excursions!

Here we go again...this subject comes up now and then and there are/were some huge threads on this very subject. I don't know why Americans think that Europeans use a hole in the ground...maybe along time ago and still are some left here and there,BUT trust me you will find most places will have flush toilets..do NOT worry.If you will feel better take some TP with you that you can buy in the drugstores to fit in your purse,and if you really worry just find a McD's and you will be fine.If you want a lot more info on this subject do a search on this board using toilets in the search function and you will find more info than you need:D

Oh my, just have to put in my two cents worth on this subject! :D

I do have some first hand experience with this type of facility... we lived in Saudi Arabia for 3 years and found them to be the norm in public rather than the exception.

So, one may ask, "how on earth do I do this???" especially without any type of (oh, how to put this delicately:rolleyes:) SPLASH?

Skirts are best, but if confronted with a hole in the ground and nature's urgent call, simply remove anything that may get splashed (trousers, shorts, underwear, even socks and god forbid, pantyhose :eek:) to one side and hold them high and firmly. Face the wall ahead of you, not the door. A slight bend at the knees and a wide stance is helpful. Think of those camping and hiking days where a bush was good cover. ;) Yes, it takes much longer to readjust and "zip up" than Westerners are used to, but it does work.

Definitely take your own tissues... Unless you're accustomed to taking a shower with the hose next to your right hand. Don't wear flip-flops!! Our rating of squatty potty's was a snorkel and fin system.

As cberge says, McDonald's usually has western-style toilets. And hats off to Lambs2 for holding it!!

Oh my, just have to put in my two cents worth on this subject! :D

I do have some first hand experience with this type of facility... we lived in Saudi Arabia for 3 years and found them to be the norm in public rather than the exception.

So, one may ask, "how on earth do I do this???" especially without any type of (oh, how to put this delicately:rolleyes:) SPLASH?

Skirts are best, but if confronted with a hole in the ground and nature's urgent call, simply remove anything that may get splashed (trousers, shorts, underwear, even socks and god forbid, pantyhose :eek:) to one side and hold them high and firmly. Face the wall ahead of you, not the door. A slight bend at the knees and a wide stance is helpful. Think of those camping and hiking days where a bush was good cover. ;) Yes, it takes much longer to readjust and "zip up" than Westerners are used to, but it does work.

Definitely take your own tissues... Unless you're accustomed to taking a shower with the hose next to your right hand. Don't wear flip-flops!! Our rating of squatty potty's was a snorkel and fin system.

As cberge says, McDonald's usually has western-style toilets. And hats off to Lambs2 for holding it!!

OH MY!! WEARING FLIP FLOPS IN THE SQUATTY POTTY !!!!??!!!! :eek:

That really does conjure up quite an unsavory image...........

:eek:

OH MY!! WEARING FLIP FLOPS IN THE SQUATTY POTTY !!!!??!!!!

That really does conjure up quite an unsavory image...........

That's what Handy Wipes are for then????:D :D ..sorry:eek:

RESTaurant ROOM???

Native English speaking gal here and I was wondering the same thing! The title confused me.

I will say on our first trip to Ireland I learned to ask for a toilet and not a restroom. Once when I asked for a restroom I was told, "We only serve sandwiches." :eek:

Native English speaking gal here and I was wondering the same thing! The title confused me.

I will say on our first trip to Ireland I learned to ask for a toilet and not a restroom. Once when I asked for a restroom I was told, "We only serve sandwiches." :eek:

My English husband likes to annoy Americans by saying that he's "going to have a lie-down" or "going for a rest" when he's headed for the toilet. Here in the UK, the staff break-room is sometimes called the employee restroom.:)

Globalnomads, I wish I'd had your instructions when I first encountered the "squatty potty"! (Love that phrase) I now make a point of wearing a skirt if I think there's any chance I might meet one.

Lisa

RESTaurant ROOM???

Regards,

HeinBloed

Carry your personal camping toilet with you on your cruise. So you are safe on all shore excursions!

Heinbloed they do have some quaint names for "loos" in the U S, I believe we in europe should set a standard, and name them after one of the inventors, Thomas Crapper not to be confused with the single P, craper, who invented pants with a flap and buttons in the back, his downfall was velcro, regards from sound proofed cell Joseph Pujol "la Petomane"

Cberge, I do not know about Europeans, but the French sure have their share of "hole in the grounds." We have been shocked to see the quality of French restrooms located along their major highways (Autoroutes). In some cases they are literally holes in the ground with a toilet seat on top (you can actually see down into the ground). Of course we can also talk about Asia. Many years ago I recall going into a Tokyo Bar where they actually had seperate mens and ladies facilities. The interesting part was that in order to get to the mens room you had to walk through the ladies room and they had no doors on the stalls. As to Europe, my DW can tell stories of ladies rooms where they had ropes for the ladies to hold-on why they did their squat.

Hank

Well, I am an English speaking person and I have never heard of this!

I thought this thread was about small European restaurants that were ONE room. :)

But, I'm glad I checked it out............thanks for the "potty" advice.

My first view of a "different" type of toilet, while expecting to see one eventually, was in the Pere Lachaise Cemetary in Paris. As we were leaving, I spotted restrooms, and being a traveler who knows not to pass up facilities when available, decided to go in. What I saw wasn't even as "fancy" as the picture posted on this thread! All I saw was a rough trough lining the wall - no partitions, nothing other than than trough. I checked to see if I had wandered into the men's room instead, but sure enough, I was in the ladies room. I was wearing slacks, and at the time, all I could say was, "Ain't no way". (I'm sure there was a technique to using this type of toilet, but I couldn't even imagine how to begin to accomplish the task) When I got back outside, my husband was waiting for me laughing. He had guessed what I had found! Thankfully, no on else was around.

Most of the toilets we have found throughout Europe have been what we're used to using, however, France seemed the place where we found most of our squat toilets. In Nice and Cannes, we found toilet buildings, for single use, on the street corners. These were the squat type, but at least these had rails with which women could steady themselves with one hand while pulling their slacks forward with the other hand. Once you left the building and the door closed, the inside was completely disinfected, so it was very clean to use. Warning: don't attempt to try to share the cost! As soon as that door shuts you'll get a bath as it cleans itself. :eek:

When traveling, it's best to remember a phrase we have used with exchange students, "It's not right; It's not wrong; It's just different!" :)

Mary

Cberge, I do not know about Europeans, but the French sure have their share of "hole in the grounds." We have been shocked to see the quality of French restrooms located along their major highways (Autoroutes). Hank

I must be be missing out on all the bathroom holes in the ground when I travel abroad or I am just not hitting the right places(no pun intended) as I have never come across one other than way out in the country in the Bordeaux area and then that was hearing what it was from someone else.Not that I want to come across one though...not on my to-do list. The only thing I have seen are the jouhns with no seat,but they are doable.What floors me though is people's fear of the bathroom when they travel..there is always an alternative today since McD'd and Starbucks are everywhere!!!!

It has been 9 years since my husband and I were in Italy, but these toilets were in abundance at that time. Even at the train stations. There were two stalls. One had a regular commode and the other was this hole in the ground. The line was horrendous as nobody was wanting to go in and use this hole in the ground. I had on a one piece jumpsuit, so had no choice but to wait for the regular stall. I would have had to totally undress to use the whole in the ground.

I will add that Italy was the only place I have encountered these type of toilets. In all my travels in Europe (Holland, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Greece, and Hungary) I have never encountered these before. As another poster stated, some may have a pull chain or a push button, but they have all been pretty standard commodes.

Seeing as how we are on the subject of restrooms . . .

Luckily, here in Portugal, all our toilets are the regular variety, but I thought I might point out something which is usually unknown to Americans with super-plumbing.

If, when you use the toilet, you see a small trash can next to the toilet, then you are supposed to use it to discard your used toilet paper. This can is not to be confused with regular sanitary protection disposal units.

Also, you might watch for handwritten notes, posted in the bathroom, warning you about the dangers of flushing toilet paper.

susana.

We are going to be on ship's tours in Rome & Florence-- each day we get lunch included at a local restaurant & hotel? what will the toilets be like at these and other tourist areas? Are they clean? Is there a charge? If so how much? The squatty potty was not very impressive....but if it is clean I could manage

We are going to be on ship's tours in Rome & Florence-- each day we get lunch included at a local restaurant & hotel? what will the toilets be like at these and other tourist areas? Are they clean? Is there a charge? If so how much? The squatty potty was not very impressive....but if it is clean I could manage

I never saw anything but regular toilets on our tours in Rome and Florence. Only "squatty potty" I saw was in Dubrovnik, Croatia! You will find that it is almost the rule for there to be a charge for restroom use in Italy. McDonald's and restaurants where you buy something are the exceptions. Oh, and there was no charge at the Academia Museum in Florence, but you pay plenty to get into these museums these days.

Archived