Hello Mek! I'd love to hear about your Denrus tour!

"Leaving Sunday for our cruise. We have a tour booked with Denrus and have been very pleased with their service so far. I made several changes to their original itinerary and they were great about it and there was hardly any price change. I will write a review when I return."

Hi Mek,

I found one of your posting about Denrus. I am interested in getting your itinerary and your comments of the tour, pricing, etc. I'm going on a cruise next May with my Mom and some friends and I am gathering information on the various tour companies.

Thanks so much!

Monica

Monica - Give me your e-mail address and I'll send all of my information to you. The major change to my itinerary was the inclusion of the Alexander Palace at Pushkin, which was the primary residence of the last Emperor and the place where the family were first imprisioned when the revloution broke out.

• 4 months later...
Would you please be so kind as to send that info to me at tippor2003@yahoo.com? That additional stop you referenced sounds very nice.

Thanks,

Donna

Hi Donna

Alexander Palace is a quite dfferent with its soft muted pink exterior with white trim than Rastrelli's Baroque masterpeice of Bolshoy Catherine Palace, my personal favorite...if you were giving me a palace;>) The history and archetecture of this smaller palace is quite interesting. The design is more sedate than the otehr palaces....if you can call any grand palace "sedate". It is of more of a classic style as was the preference of Cathreine the Great who built it for her grandson Alexander I. There is a special exhibition there featuring the Romonov Tsar Nicholas II residence there with his family before being taken to Siberia where they were exicuted in 1918. It is a short walk directly north past the Kitchen Pond from the main palace. It was restored much later than the Big palace so it opened only a few years ago. The entire complex of gardens and palaces, grottos, galleries, theaters, ponds, and lesser buildings were destroyed in WWII and carefully rebuilt or restored. The grounds are spectular and is a popular weekend strolling venue for couples and families. Most people assume the Bolshoy Catherine Palace was named for Catherime the Great but it was names about 100 years before as honor to the builder's mother, named by the Empress Elizabeth for her mother Catherine. The big palace is bright blue with white trim and gold guilding on detail elements....stunning on a sunny day.

Have a great trip

Stan

Archived