"Panama Canal (Cruising Canal)" Is it really a Canal Cruise?

I'm planning a Panama Canal cruise for myself and my Dad, whose lifelong dream has been to cruise the Canal. Even though I'm a RCCL fan, I thought I'd broaden the scope of my search for just the right cruise by going to one of those travel sites that consolidate information on all the cruise lines.

When I searched that site, the only Panama Canal cruises that show up are trans-Canal cruises, that is, those that embark in the Atlantic and disembark in the Pacific, or vice versa. In other words, none of the RCCL "Panama Canal (Cruising Canal) sailings show up.

TPAN_XCL_MIA_74B79E6_lg.gif

So, my question is, do these sailings really, completely traverse the Canal (twice)? I'd really like to hear from fellow CCers that have been on one of these cruises to learn if you considered yours a Panama Canal cruise.

The last think I want to do is disappoint my Dad. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Jim

They might not be showing up because of the time of year. The full transit ones take place when they are repositioning the ships for Alaska sailings around late April/early May and then again in Sept.

I did the partial transit which was an 11 day (also 10 version available) round-trip from Miami on the Brilliance. We entered the canal through the first set of locks into Lake Gatun and then turned around several hours later and came back through the same set of locks. It was wonderful but we did not see the full length of the canal that you would with the full transit. Click on the link in my signature for pictures of the Brilliance cruise.

We have done both the partial and full Panama Canal cruises. The partial is what is says, you only go through one set of locks to Gatun Lake then turn around to head back. The full transit is done by RCI only in the Spring and Autumn when the ships reposition.

In my opinion the full transit cruise is the best to experience the Panama Canal.

I did a full canal cruise a couple years ago. If possible take your dad on that one. It is something that I always wanted to do and it is unforgetable. I loved it. I went from Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco. Took my 17 year old grandson he turned 18 on the ship. We went in May, it was a very good time. It was also educational for him.

Delores

I'm planning a Panama Canal cruise for myself and my Dad, whose lifelong dream has been to cruise the Canal. Even though I'm a RCCL fan, I thought I'd broaden the scope of my search for just the right cruise by going to one of those travel sites that consolidate information on all the cruise lines.

When I searched that site, the only Panama Canal cruises that show up are trans-Canal cruises, that is, those that embark in the Atlantic and disembark in the Pacific, or vice versa. In other words, none of the RCCL "Panama Canal (Cruising Canal) sailings show up.

So, my question is, do these sailings really, completely traverse the Canal (twice)? I'd really like to hear from fellow CCers that have been on one of these cruises to learn if you considered yours a Panama Canal cruise.

The last think I want to do is disappoint my Dad. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Jim

As others have said, you´ll only get a full transit if you do one of those cruises that start on the Atlantic side and end on the Pacific side or the other way round. I´ve not done the partial transit, but only the full transit and would definitely recommend that one. The partial one just wouldn´t be the same to me and the interesting passgae through Gailard cut (SP?) and the second set of locks would be missing.

I´ve never seen a cruise doing the full passage twice and go back and forth.

I´m looking forward to my second PC cruise now. It´s the 16-night repo cruise from Galveston to San Diego. You might want to have a look at that one.:D

My wife and I did a partial cruise last year BUT did an excursion that took us all the way from Gutan lake to the pacific. It was AMAZING.

You go through the first set of lock's in the ship, so you get to experience that. Then, you get on a bus and take about a 1hr ride. From there, you board a smaller "ferry type" boat and go through the other two set's of lock's to the pacific side and then take a bus back.

Being the the smaller boat is an amazing experience with all the HUGE tanker's and container ship's coming by. Also, the bus ride's are nice as you get to see so much.

This is HIGHLY recomended.

It was the 10 day out of Miami on Brilliance and the excursion was "Panama Canal Lock's by Ferry".

Wow... I want to thank everyone who took the time to respond. Had I not asked--and you answered--I might have made a huge mistake.

I'll be looking at the repo cruises, since a lifelong dream is at stake! :)

Thanks again!

Jim

Jim

Jim,

I know Celebrity and Princess do 'full transit' cruises that are not just at repositioning times. Friends went on Celebrity last February (14 day cruise and loved it). You can check out all the options!

Enjoy whatever you decide!

My wife and I did a partial cruise last year BUT did an excursion that took us all the way from Gutan lake to the pacific. It was AMAZING.

You go through the first set of lock's in the ship, so you get to experience that. Then, you get on a bus and take about a 1hr ride. From there, you board a smaller "ferry type" boat and go through the other two set's of lock's to the pacific side and then take a bus back.

Being the the smaller boat is an amazing experience with all the HUGE tanker's and container ship's coming by. Also, the bus ride's are nice as you get to see so much.

This is HIGHLY recomended.

It was the 10 day out of Miami on Brilliance and the excursion was "Panama Canal Lock's by Ferry".

Thanks, your info was reaaly helpful. We'll definitely take your advice on the excursion.

I thought the partial transit was plenty! It's an amazing feat of engineering, but after a couple of locks....well, they're all the same! We preferred the partial, so that we could come and go from the same port. Didn't take any excursions in Panama--felt just being on the ship and going through the locks with the Canal navigator and his explanations was informative and all we needed. While the ship waited in Lake Gatun, we relaxed until the return portion of the trip.

Wow... I want to thank everyone who took the time to respond. Had I not asked--and you answered--I might have made a huge mistake.

I'll be looking at the repo cruises, since a lifelong dream is at stake! :)

Thanks again!

Jim

Bring your dad and join us on the Serenade 4/19/08 repo from San Juan to San Francisco. It is an awesome trip! We have done it several times. I'll be happy to try to answer any questions.

We have done both the partial and the full transit.........there is no comparison.....do the full transit if you can take that much time off.......truly a great experience.........but the partial was also nice and a good way to see part of the canal.........

Definitely do the full transit. We've done both and has been said before there is no comparison. We did the full transit on the Radiance and of 15 cruises this is our favorite ship. Only Australia/New Zealand tops the itinerary.

We've not been able to do a full transit but we have done two types of partial transit. The first cruise we went through the locks into Gatun lake where we stayed for a while and then came back through the locks. This year on the MSC Lirica we docked without going into the Canal and then took a bus ride to a boat that took us through the cut and the two sets of locks on the Pacific side. Since we have had the fun of having all kinds of small boats in locks in other parts of the world, we found we prefer going through the Panama locks in a large ship. However, it was amazing to finally go through the cut and also to see now they are widening the canal in preparation for the new locks. Whatever you do, I strongly recommend that you find and view a video of "Path Between the Seas"...we had the pleasure of watching it onboard after our first trip into the canal.

We did a partial a few years ago on the Brilliance, and this year we are going to fly to LA and cruise a full transit in November on the Radiance docking in Flordia. The Brilliance was a wonderfull ship doing the partial from Miami/Miami.

We are really looking forward to the Radiance now.

We are booked on HA for the 10 day partial transit on Feb. 21. RCCL offers a similar trip. I found some of the cruise lines do not bill this cruise as a Panama Canal cruise but rather as a Caribbean cruise. The cruise goes through one lock and stops briefly in Gatun Lake to allow for shore excursions to disembark. The ship turns around and goes back out the same lock and docks in Colon or Cristobel depending on which ship you are on. We have already booked the ferry excursion which will take us through the two remaining locks. It is $149 per person. I would recommend spending some time really investigating your trip. The itinerary is just a bit different for HA than RC. HA is one less day at sea with one more port of call. Good luck.

Do the full transit cruise. It is definitely an experience that you will never forget. As well, the repositioning cruise prices tend to be cheep compared to a regular 14 night cruise.

My very first cruise was a 14 night canal cruise. It departed from Los Angeles and we got off the ship in San Juan. I was with my family (mother, father, sister, brother (7 years old), me) My sister and I (19 and 18 at the time) thought we were going to be soooooo borred on the ship. It turned out to be the best family vacation ever, and we have lots and lots of great memories from it.

Do the full transit cruise. Dont pass up the chance to share this experience with your Dad. He really wants to do the full transit anyways.

If you do a full transit, you will not have any opportunities for any Panama shore excursions, some of which can get you closer to the canal and allow you to tour one of the locks (the Gatun Locks)

We took such a trip on the Brilliance and took a shore excursion of the train that parallels the canal. On a full transit, such a journey is not possible.

It fulfilled a life long dream of mine to see the canal and to ride a train I had been long reading about. I will never forget this cruise or that day. the combination of sea days and port days made for a great trip.

Either a journey to, or through, the canal will be very rewarding. We plan to go back. Not sure if it will be a journey through the whole canal or partial, but you can't go wrong either way.

Another advantage of the partial trip is leaving and returning to the same port. This makes airfare for the trip much, much cheaper.

Dolby1000

Dave

Since this is a lifelong dream I think I would opt for the complete Canal transit. You certainly would get the "complete picture" and you would not have any second thoughts about not taking the full transit cruise. Having said all that, the partial transits out of Florida are a very good way to see the Canal. As other posters have mentioned, you can see almost the complete canal by taking the tour that takes you through Gaillard Cut and the Pacific Locks. The only portion of the canal you miss is from Gatun Locks to the entrance of the Cut, near the town of Gamboa. That part of the transit is senic and worth the time, it should not be thought of as a deal buster.

If you do the full transit first, doing a partial transit out of Florida is worthwile at a later date as well. That way you would be able to come back to Panama and explore things like the Panama Railroad with out feeling like you were missing something on the Canal. Besides, it a great reason for another cruise!!!

I did the partial transit which was an 11 day (also 10 version available) round-trip from Miami on the Brilliance. We entered the canal through the first set of locks into Lake Gatun and then turned around several hours later and came back through the same set of locks. It was wonderful but we did not see the full length of the canal that you would with the full transit. Click on the link in my signature for pictures of the Brilliance cruise.

Did your ship sink? Why are there so many under water shots? Nice pictures though. Thank you for sharing. :)

The partial is what is says, you only go through one set of locks to Gatun Lake then turn around to head back.

I always thought a partial meant that only part of the ship went through the canal. When did that change? :confused: :D

Archived