Classes At Sea

janetz

Read reviews or ask the question of someone who has sailed on the same ship recently and same itinerary. Usually Classes at Sea are repeated as are Contests, Cooking demonstrations, Napkin Folding, Photography and now Scrapbooking. Check for news dailies from your ship. Many folks scan them into a web site that is easily accessed like cruise clues.

Bon Voyage

Usually Classes at Sea are repeated as are Contests, Cooking demonstrations, Napkin Folding, Photography and now Scrapbooking. Check for news dailies from your ship.

Bon Voyage

There are often pottery and always many computer classes too! Are you looking for any particular classes?

The photography classes are probably the rarest now days. The photography departments are generally understaffed and do not have enough time to run classes. The computers @ sea instructor may run some photography type classes, as well as photo editing and office type classes depending on the ships itinerary.

It is difficult to find out ahead of time but as the previous poster said if you specify your cruise details then the classes could be very similar for previous cruises.

for several years I taught art and craft classes for the old Royal Cruise lines (the BEST), Princess and RCCI. Then Princess changed its policy and wanted FINE art instead of crafty. I have background to allow this but how many passengers have interest. Also how do you teach 50-100 watercolor, sculpture, pen and ink etc. So I quit doing it. Ladies ( mostly) enjoyed the hour they spent with me and went home with a new technique and a souvenior (sp) they made themselves. I am going on Hawaii cruise on Diamond to Hawaii in April. I am curious to see how many classes are given in the 8 sea days.

Viola Swamp ( parents keep your kids in control LOL)

being new to cruising, i was wondering, are the classes that are offered usually free? am looking for things to do while at sea for 5 days at a time that doesn't really involve spending more money. i'm not a cheap skate but want to use my money for excursions as this will be a once in a lifetime cruise for me and dh.

The computer classes have a charge -- I think about $20 or $25 per class although there were packages available. The only photography classes I have seen lately are digital photography, as part of the computer program. Last summer on the Crown there was a ceramics program for a fee, but I didn't try this so I don't know how much instruction there was. Some of the classes in the gym had a fee, as well. Princess used to offer informative lectures on some of their cruises -- how to manage your investments, for instance --- and these were free but I haven't seen them on my last couple of cruises. Also, dance classes are fun and free and are offered on most sea days.

The computer classes have a charge -- I think about $20 or $25 per class although there were packages available. The only photography classes I have seen lately are digital photography, as part of the computer program. Last summer on the Crown there was a ceramics program for a fee, but I didn't try this so I don't know how much instruction there was. Some of the classes in the gym had a fee, as well. Princess used to offer informative lectures on some of their cruises -- how to manage your investments, for instance --- and these were free but I haven't seen them on my last couple of cruises. Also, dance classes are fun and free and are offered on most sea days.

Everytime we sail I think about the dance classes but DH does not seem to interested, and he is the one who needs them! :p :p

I would love to do the dance classes as well, but my DH has zero interest! Can a single person do it? lol

I amsure they have "extras" for those of us with husbands who won't.

cid:018401c7d118$9d1444c0$1401a8c0@LaurasLaptop

Thank you bunches for that link. I found it very useful. Guess I need to search the Princess site more thoroughly before I start asking any more questions. Sorry for any inconvenience. Thanks again to all that responded. You've been very helpful.

Just want to add that, in addition to the Princess offerings, there are sometimes special interest groups onboard whose classes/meetings are advertised in the Patter. For example, on our Dawn cruise in January, there were Bridge and MahJongg players who met almost daily and welcomed all interested passengers.

Chris

Check out the lectures, which vary from cruise to cruise as each cruise has its own guest lecturers. On a recent cruise on the Crown Princess a noted astronomer gave four one-hour lectures on, as you might have guessed, astronomy.

I don't think there is a way to find out in advance on the Princess website just which particular guest lecturers will be on your ship. Cunard's website has that capability, but by the time we were on board the QM2, half of the scheduled lecturers were replaced by others. Interesting people and topics, nevertheless.

Thank you bunches for that link. I found it very useful. Guess I need to search the Princess site more thoroughly before I start asking any more questions. Sorry for any inconvenience. Thanks again to all that responded. You've been very helpful.

Don't apologize! I never clicked that link because it says scholarships - I had no idea it was the onboard classes.

Thanks for the link!

Archived